Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Logo done (tick). Next: Theme song?

H_T

Could we not just get Jessica Maulboy and Meatloaf to modernize it? I was going to suggest including Rolf Harris using his wobble board and interspersing between 'it's the emblem for you and for me' and 'it's the emblem of...' but given his circumstances that's just nonsensical and impractical....or is it?

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 2

Could we not just get Jessica Maulboy and Meatloaf to modernize it? I was going to suggest including Rolf Harris using his wobble board and interspersing between 'it's the emblem for you and for me' and 'it's the emblem of...' but given his circumstances that's just nonsensical and impractical....or is it?

Not entirely,

we could get Rolf to do it for us.

It could be his break out performance.

• Like 4

The only other option is liturgical dancers.

I can see the beginnings of a big Broadway production.

We need a new narrative.Set to Cheesy Staged Musical Theatre.

It's the only way forward.

• Like 1

Not entirely,

we could get Rolf to do it for us.

It could be his break out performance.

Yes, the way I see it is that he could perform in front of our younger supporters. Parents could go too but I do know he gets a little testy if he feels people are looking over his shoulder.

Edited by Return to Glory

Yes, the way I see it is that he could perform in front of our younger supporters. Parents could go to but I do know he gets a little testy if he feels he's being judged.

I think he barracks for the Wandsworth Wanderers anyway.

Hopefully the extra leg is in retirement.

• Like 1

So are you arguing for or against changing it?

Neither.

I am frustrated. I just see this all as change for the sake of change.

I am yet to be convinced we have a strategic objective behind all this.

Melbourne as the focus, a smart marketing open in the city and what else exactly?

The most lasting thing we did to shore up our fan base of late was to get involved in the Women's game, get Hogan, and get Roos.

I am underwhelmed.

I would like someone to point out what they are going to do 6 months from now, 2 years from now, that illustrate a plan that will be more of a skipping stone because I fear this is all a big dump in a pond that garners attention for only a short time.

If they do that then I may be all for changing the song.

It ain't broke so don't Fix it.

Funny...hadn't seen your post before i did.

Great minds.....:rolleyes:

Back to bed now DL...."Drink your Coco"

and leave the song alone...Fallen MFC Players have won flags with that song...even in this modern world some continuity should be honoured

the song is a part of the reason we have not kept up. singing of a flag doesn't do it.

singing of a brother hood now that does it. the spirit of mateship, whether in the trenches, or physically on the field of footy, its the spirit of comradeship not of a 'flag' that's important.

"all for one, & one for all",,,, team unity.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 2

That's a fairly rational reaction to change there Gorg.

How would you feel if we had a new James Blunt reworking in a ballad style?

Burn. It. All.

But if Gorgoroth or Abbath did a cover I'd be cool with it. Or a slightly softer version by wolves in the throne room.

Actually, let's do that :)

You just blasphemed OD

Definitely time for a public stoning

I know what you're saying, but I don't think the song is irrelevant to the brand - which is Melbourne. It's relevant IMO.

And it's not just played on game day at the ground. It's played on radio stations throughout the year outside of games, during the week - identifiable with sponsors advertisements.

People have to look at the bigger picture here.

Spoken like a true marketing guru. And they come, and they go, but MFC lives on through thick and thin. Hands off.

I don't know why everyone is so worried about the song. It's not like we ever hear it anyway

We do at the start of games :-(((

I don't think anyone is suggesting we change the song/tune. The only suggestion as far as I can tell is to add the word 'Melbourne' to the lyrics. Is that so bad?

Probably not Something like "Melbourne's grand old flag is a high flying flag" might work. As long as we don't open the doors for some of those awful attempts to change Australia's national dirge.

I don't care so long as wholesale changes aren't made. If it's recorded by a pizzed David Neitz after a 24 hour pub crawl and karaoke session then I will protest. If it's the slight installation of the word Melbourne, I'm not fussed.

Or how about we engage "fiddy" ,or one of his mates, to toughen it up a bit?

I say get TISM out of retirement. They could add some obscure academic and 70's/80's VFL references along worth the requisite number of swear words required for such a task.

Correct.

Not everyone knows it's Melbourne's song.

Every other club has the reference of their name or mascot in it. It helps people identify the brand. What's our brand given yesterdays news? Melbourne.

Oh the team played fine in the year 39

We're the DEMONS that no one can lick

• Like 1

Neither.

I am frustrated. I just see this all as change for the sake of change.

I am yet to be convinced we have a strategic objective behind all this.

Melbourne as the focus, a smart marketing open in the city and what else exactly?

The most lasting thing we did to shore up our fan base of late was to get involved in the Women's game, get Hogan, and get Roos.

I am underwhelmed.

I would like someone to point out what they are going to do 6 months from now, 2 years from now, that illustrate a plan that will be more of a skipping stone because I fear this is all a big dump in a pond that garners attention for only a short time.

If they do that then I may be all for changing the song.

I see it as making us marketable. The colours especially make us stand out, the logo is simple and recognisable and the most important thing is associating the football club with the city. Do that and we'll attract a lot more people to the club. You don't need to bleed red & blue to be a fan of coffee and live music.

I really like we're there going with this. It's bigger than a new logo or coming 9th rather than 13th and expect it will pay dividends.

• Like 1

Probably not Something like "Melbourne's grand old flag is a high flying flag" might work. As long as we don't open the doors for some of those awful attempts to change Australia's national dirge.

it sickens me singing about nothing but some bloody flag, & the past;... & not this club, our rugged fighting spirit (smith-mcmahen-barassi), & our team of players, & of us, the supporters...

love the tune, can't stand the lyrics, they mean zilch, just a hatchet job done on the run, copied onto a popular tune from O/S.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

it sickens me singing about nothing but some bloody flag, & the past;... & not this club, our rugged fighting spirit (smith-mcmahen-barassi), & our team of players, & of us, the supporters...

love the tune, can't stand the lyrics, they mean zilch, just a hatchet job done on the run, copied onto a popular tune from O/S.

That's where you're wrong. They mean every single victory we've ever had, when after each we've sung that song with those lyrics. Think of it. EVERY SINGLE WIN. Stynes sang those words, Flower sung them. Barassi sang them. Neitz sang them. Jones sings them.

It's a new set of lyrics that would mean zilch.

• Like 1

I would be in favour of adding two words:

It's a grand old flag, Melbourne's high flying flag"

and "It's the emblem of the team we love, Melbourne's team of the red and the blue...."

Simple changes that don't change the rhyme or meter of the verse yet add the name Melbourne in appropriate spots.

'of the team', 'team of the'..... is wordy. maybe could be, "...Melbourne, the red and the blue".

Which particular flag do we sing about?

Which old acquaintances shouldn't we forget?

Not EVERY heart beats true for the red and the blue.....there are 17 other clubs.

The second verse is horribly dated.

I say add a second verse about Melbourne Demons trying their guts out as a proud team...that would make the first verse more relevant.

• Like 1

That's where you're wrong. They mean every single victory we've ever had, when after each we've sung that song with those lyrics. Think of it. EVERY SINGLE WIN. Stynes sang those words, Flower sung them. Barassi sang them. Neitz sang them. Jones sings them.

It's a new set of lyrics that would mean zilch.

I've sang the song many times, for over half a century... it is only familiarity. But the words are hollow. Mostly aren't truly representative of our club & players. slapdash put together back then in haste & with little care for the meaning behind the words.

to me it pales behind many other lyrically inspiring team songs.

but love the tune.

• Like 2