List overview

Freak

Now that it's the end of the season and with the draft ahead as well as trade period I'm going to have a look at our list.

Grimes: Not sure why he was ever captain to be honest. Great leadership qualities but doesn't lead by example on the field. Needs to improve decision making and turnovers but is a fringe player at best.

Dunn: I always rated Dunn and thought that his best position would be up forward but he has proved me wrong. A good player that is playing career best football.

Watts: May have good games where he finds the ball and uses it well but I'd rather him attack the footy and man any day of the week. Would've liked to have seen the back of him a couple of seasons ago but fresh coaches have fresh hope for watts but he never comes through.

Gawn: A great season by Gawn. And am glad we were patient with him. His ability to clunk a mark was on show and with the increased number of stoppages in todays game was able to win his fair share of hitouts.

Viney: A cracking season by Viney. Possessions were up from the season before and his career is heading in the right direction. Doesn't have great kicking penetration or pace but his inside mid role doesn't expose him as much.

Tom Mcdonald: Started the season off extremely well with his dash and dare but faded as the season wore on. He found a lot of the ball but that is always a worry with his ball use. He is prone to making poor decisions and his awareness is not a strong point. Nonetheless, his effort and work ethic was high and he will be our key defender for a few more seasons.

Hogan: Fantastic season by Hogan. Arguably the rising star. Feel sorry for him at times with the low inside 50 count but his contested marking is elite. His kicking for goal is effective but needs to work on his set shot routine. It won't hold up over time. Star of our time for quite some time and we need to lock him in to a max contract.

Salem: mIssed a lot of games through injury but he is one of my favourites due to his ball use. We're not a highly skilled team and he is one of few that can hit targets. Important to our future.

Stretch: First season so must give him time and patience. Isn't often spoken about due to the success of Hogan etc. but needs to work on foot skills. His run is great and his debut game was encouraging but his foot skills are poor and I noticed this in his game as an under 18.

Jones: still in career best form. Wish he was made captain before the Grimes/Trengove debacle. It seemed so obvious at the time.

Vince: Amazing season. Probably our best player. His foot skills shone well above his team mates and his kicking penetration and ability to hit the score board at clutch times made puts him close to AA honours.

Brayshaw: Fantastic debut season. Strong tackler and attack on the footy. Not great user of the ball but linked up well going long to Hogan many times during the year. Needs to continue in the preseason to work on his running game and fitness but otherwise a strong season.

Daniel Cross: A bit stiff to be cut I think. There's many I would've cut before him and it was coming off a 39 possession game. Played the half back role really well and his overhead marking was a feature all season long.

Petracca: devastating injury.

Jeremy Howe: Didn't have a great year. He should be in the best most weeks for us, such is his skill set but he isn't. I don't think he has found his position yet and I don't think Melbourne find one for him. He has great foot skills but shooting for goal he struggles to convert for some reason. We will lose a bit if he decides to go because I think if he puts it together he could be a dangerous player every week.

Garlett: Had a good season considering the number of goals he kicked. He is prone to having brain fades and missing the most simple of goals so he will always be someone that will find ways to make things harder but in a team lacking pace up forward he is important for us.

Vandenberg: one of our 2015 highlights. Strong body, hard and still relatively young at 23. entering his prime he will give us good service for 5 seasons. Good selection by Jason Taylor.

Jamar, Jones, Terlich, Fitzpatrick, Michie, Newton, Kent, Mckenzie, Trengove, Dawes, Pedersen, Riley, Bail (13 players there that are all good vfl players but will never be more than list fillers . Cut them all excluding maybe Dawes for Hogan backup and Trengove and Kent. I'd also cut Grimes and Watts regardless of their contract situation.

Jamar, Jones, Terlich, Fitzpatrick, Michie, Newton, Kent, Mckenzie, Trengove, Dawes, Pedersen, Riley, Bail (13 players there that are all good vfl players but will never be more than list fillers . Cut them all excluding maybe Dawes for Hogan backup and Trengove and Kent. I'd also cut Grimes and Watts regardless of their contract situation.

Are you high?

• Like 18

Hogan: Fantastic season by Hogan. Arguably the rising star. Feel sorry for him at times with the low inside 50 count but his contested marking is elite. His kicking for goal is effective but needs to work on his set shot routine. It won't hold up over time. Star of our time for quite some time and we need to lock him in to a max contract.

Stretch: First season so must give him time and patience. Isn't often spoken about due to the success of Hogan etc. but needs to work on foot skills. His run is great and his debut game was encouraging but his foot skills are poor and I noticed this in his game as an under 18.

1) Couldn't care less about his set shot routine when he kicks 44 goals 19 behinds (69.8%). There is no reason this won't continue over his career so a very strange call.

2) Stretch has good foot skills and having another full pre season will help him when the game gets to the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Jeremy Howe: Didn't have a great year. He should be in the best most weeks for us, such is his skill set but he isn't. I don't think he has found his position yet and I don't think Melbourne find one for him. He has great foot skills but shooting for goal he struggles to convert for some reason. We will lose a bit if he decides to go because I think if he puts it together he could be a dangerous player every week.

Stretch isn't a long penetrating kick, but his foot skills aren't poor. He's a neat kick who generally hits his target. Howe on the other hand has average foot skills.

And how anyone could have Kent as a list filler is beyond me.

• Like 6

Kent is a quality footballer. Or have you only just realised he has missed most of the year due to injury?

Now that it's the end of the season and with the draft ahead as well as trade period I'm going to have a look at our list.

Grimes: Not sure why he was ever captain to be honest. Great leadership qualities but doesn't lead by example on the field. Needs to improve decision making and turnovers but is a fringe player at best.

Dunn: I always rated Dunn and thought that his best position would be up forward but he has proved me wrong. A good player that is playing career best football.

Watts: May have good games where he finds the ball and uses it well but I'd rather him attack the footy and man any day of the week. Would've liked to have seen the back of him a couple of seasons ago but fresh coaches have fresh hope for watts but he never comes through.

Gawn: A great season by Gawn. And am glad we were patient with him. His ability to clunk a mark was on show and with the increased number of stoppages in todays game was able to win his fair share of hitouts.

Viney: A cracking season by Viney. Possessions were up from the season before and his career is heading in the right direction. Doesn't have great kicking penetration or pace but his inside mid role doesn't expose him as much.

Tom Mcdonald: Started the season off extremely well with his dash and dare but faded as the season wore on. He found a lot of the ball but that is always a worry with his ball use. He is prone to making poor decisions and his awareness is not a strong point. Nonetheless, his effort and work ethic was high and he will be our key defender for a few more seasons.

Salem: mIssed a lot of games through injury but he is one of my favourites due to his ball use. We're not a highly skilled team and he is one of few that can hit targets. Important to our future.

Jones: still in career best form. Wish he was made captain before the Grimes/Trengove debacle. It seemed so obvious at the time.

Vince: Amazing season. Probably our best player. His foot skills shone well above his team mates and his kicking penetration and ability to hit the score board at clutch times made puts him close to AA honours.

Brayshaw: Fantastic debut season. Strong tackler and attack on the footy. Not great user of the ball but linked up well going long to Hogan many times during the year. Needs to continue in the preseason to work on his running game and fitness but otherwise a strong season.

Daniel Cross: A bit stiff to be cut I think. There's many I would've cut before him and it was coming off a 39 possession game. Played the half back role really well and his overhead marking was a feature all season long.

Garlett: Had a good season considering the number of goals he kicked. He is prone to having brain fades and missing the most simple of goals so he will always be someone that will find ways to make things harder but in a team lacking pace up forward he is important for us.

Vandenberg: one of our 2015 highlights. Strong body, hard and still relatively young at 23. entering his prime he will give us good service for 5 seasons. Good selection by Jason Taylor.

I would keep the highlighted players (or one of the rucks) purely for depth and versatility. If we have a bad run with injury and these blokes aren't around we would be stuffed. Kent is also best 22 and one of very few for us that offers any real pace.

I would keep the highlighted players (or one of the rucks) purely for depth and versatility. If we have a bad run with injury and these blokes aren't around we would be stuffed. Kent is also best 22 and one of very few for us that offers any real pace.

I think the idea is to try to replace some of these players like Fitzpatrick with better quality consistent players.

So out of the 27 blokes you've named, we're cutting between 13 & 17 of them (depending on the strength of that "maybe", and whether or not you'd cut Howe).

Why so restrained? You're losing your edge.

• Like 1

Agree with some. Disagree o others.

Specific points:

Grimes - He has often shown on-field leadership. I think people get too wrapped up in his odd bad kick and forget the times when he stands up which are at least as important as the turnovers.

Kent - Looked like an absolute star until he did that hammy. Don't forget that he did it chasing down three opponents on the wing and managed to hold them up.

Brayshaw - His kicking is fine.

All in all I think we have a couple of very good senior leaders in Vince and Jones and a raft of young talent who look good but need to step up and start putting together 20-30 disposal games instead of 10-15. Hopefully with another pre-season to improve their strength and fitness we'll see that start to happen.

I think there's still a bit of a gap in the 25-30 age bracket for us. It would be great if we could bring in a player or two in that range who were good enough to be automatic selections and just add to the depth and leadership in the list. No more Collingwood rejects though, they're never as good as they look in the box.

I am not sure that I would rush to offload Michie and Newton. They were good contributors to yesterday's win and are good depth players.

• Like 3

FREAK Cutting KENT,PEDERSEN and TRENGOVE are you on something if not perhaps you need to take medication.These three players have been out for a long time and do not deserve to be cut. By culling too many we won't have any backups in the case of an injury.

Do the maths,your comments are not to my pallet.

• Like 5

Are you high?