Harley Bennell

GawnWithTheWind

Is this another Col moment for Freo?

Sylvia was an almost unrivalled disaster. Bennell won't be that. He's 23 with much of his career still ahead of him, and he is about to hit the peak of his powers as an A grade player. The only similarity with Col is the off field issues, which I don't believe are quite as drastic as what gets portrayed.

Bennell is a risk and clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but at the very least Freo should get a few good years out of him while they remain a legitimate chance at a flag. They have been sitting on their hands as the likes of Hawthorn have gone out and recruited senior players to fill the holes in their list. It's probably cost them a premiership, but at least they are giving it one last roll of the dice.

Or is that what Freo wanted us all to think? ;)

No. This is Ross Lyons last ditch effort for a flag, beyond next year he'll be under pressure to manage the list for the future. Bennell makes sense for Ross, but it is a big gamble. Its going to be hard for Bennell to avoid Mandurah. The move back to WA isn't smart move by any means.

No. This is Ross Lyons last ditch effort for a flag, beyond next year he'll be under pressure to manage the list for the future. Bennell makes sense for Ross, but it is a big gamble. Its going to be hard for Bennell to avoid Mandurah. The move back to WA isn't smart move by any means.

And to this point in time we have seen Rossy hasn't been able to manage a list into the future. All eggs one basket and f the future. To be fair he has been so close to a flag at 2 clubs.

I'd do it if I was him, I'd do it now at Melb...

Edited by Cards13

Sylvia was an almost unrivalled disaster. Bennell won't be that. He's 23 with much of his career still ahead of him, and he is about to hit the peak of his powers as an A grade player. The only similarity with Col is the off field issues, which I don't believe are quite as drastic as what gets portrayed.

Bennell is a risk and clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but at the very least Freo should get a few good years out of him while they remain a legitimate chance at a flag. They have been sitting on their hands as the likes of Hawthorn have gone out and recruited senior players to fill the holes in their list. It's probably cost them a premiership, but at least they are giving it one last roll of the dice.

Sylvia was a disaster on an individual level, but he wasn't a club killer at Freo.

The allure of Bennell at Freo is that he could be a club killer.

Sylvia was a disaster on an individual level, but he wasn't a club killer at Freo.

The allure of Bennell at Freo is that he could be a club killer.

If anyone is going to be a club killer at Freo it's Ross Lyon, not Harley Bennell.

• Like 2

If anyone is going to be a club killer at Freo it's Ross Lyon, not Harley Bennell.

not fussed which one :rolleyes:
  • Like 1

What I meant (facetiously) was that Freo could be playing funny buggers and telling Bennell to look as unappealing as possible to the rest of the competition.

Sick of reading this guy will win a Brownlow, no chance in hell will he ever get close to winning a Brownlow, FFS he is no where near the caliber of Fyfe, Ablett, Hodge, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury or Mundy.

And he defiantly wont win one playing for Freo, playing in a Lyon coached team will be a rude awakening me thinks.

Sick of reading this guy will win a Brownlow, no chance in hell will he ever get close to winning a Brownlow, FFS he is no where near the caliber of Fyfe, Ablett, Hodge, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury or Mundy.

And he defiantly wont win one playing for Freo, playing in a Lyon coached team will be a rude awakening me thinks.

He's definitely capable of doing it IF his brain doesn't get in the way.