Dees v Dockers - Round 5

Also Freos played Port, Cats at Skilled and Sydney, we've played Gold Coast, GWS, Crows and Tigers, a bit of discrepancy in opponents.

On the other hand, Freo would know Port & Cats & Sydney inside & out. We're more of an unknown quantity. They'd know Jones, Vince (tho' not as a tagger), Dawes, Jamar. But they wouldn't know vdB, Newton (can he play the Tyson role?), Brayshaw, Salem, and they can only guess at Hogan. And the likes of Lumumba & Garlett are now playing different roles than before.

And what's been good about us is that after our smashing by GWS, we improved a lot against Crows & then improved more again vs. Tiges. We're starting now to gel better as a team, and that can only improve. When we do click as a team, we'll be dangerous against anyone. The Doggies clicked against Crows: why shouldn't it be our turn next?

If we can improve again over our Tiges performance, we could go close. And we'll hit them hard. But we'll be under much more pressure, and we'll struggle to see as much of the ball.

Mckenzie in for Jetta - We know Jordie can lock down on players, he creates contests and wins his own ball. I think his skill set would be more effective in the big league then anything Grimes or Toupas would offer at this stage.

Bail in for Kent - Bail work his arse off and can find space as a half forward and will chase all day, which is the role Kent was playing. Again I feel Bail offers more at AFL level then the other guys we have in reserve.

Edited by Green Machine

Mckenzie in for Jetta - We know Jordie can lock down on players, he creates contests and wins his own ball. I think his skill set would be more effective in the big league then anything Grimes or Toupas would offer at this stage.

Bail in for Kent - Bail work his arse off and can find space as a half forward and will chase all day, which is the role Kent was playing. Again I feel Bail offers more at AFL level then the other guys we have in reserve.

gross.gif

• Like 3

hell no to Bail, Jones and McKenzie

Aiden RIley before those three, for sure. And would rather see James Harmes debut if hes ready. His form has been good by the sounds of it

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

Not sure if serious or taking the pizz. What skill set are we talking about here?

Grimes and Toumpas were both named as emergencies against Richmond, and whilst I didn't see the Casey game, both would appear to have done enough to justify a recall to the seniors.

And those calling for Spencer to come in to combat Sandilands have no idea. The loss of Frost was actually a godsend because it meant that Jamar didn't have to rest up forward. And just look at the Dogs/Crows game. The Dogs dropped Minson against probably the no. 1 ruckman in the comp in Jacobs. They got smashed in the hit-outs yet won the game in a canter.

Aside from the 2nd half against GWS, our clearance work has vastly improved. We need as many mids in the team as possible in order to implement Roos' gameplan of quick ball movement into the forward line. Spencer will never come in unless Jamar is out, because it basically leaves us with one less rotation of the bench.

Could we have the likes of Howe (in defence) & Watts (in attack) going third man up against Sandi all day at every single ball-up and throw-in? If they make it known to the umps that they were going to do this at every opportunity, do Freo have the right to block them without giving away a free? What are the rules with third man up?

And could we have Spencer at centre bounces just crashing into him with knees & elbows for the first half or first three quarters? Spencer would have to be training like crazy with Stafford at hitting hard with physical contact but not infringing. Being bigger and heavier than anyone else, it's just too easy (competitively and physically) for him to stand his ground and wrestle at stoppages, so he never gets crunched. Spencer, who has a good tank, could also run him around as much as possible, and Sandi should be tackled to the ground as much as possible when he has the ball, so that he has to pick his huge frame up off the ground twenty or thirty times before contesting a stoppage.

I don't know that Sandi's ever been put under that sort of physical pressure. I get the feeling it won't bother him and he'll smash us anyway, but you never know. You can't wrestle him, you can't jump over him, so why not try this and put the "bruise-free" tag to bed for good?

• Like 2

Interesting suggestion HH. I too noticed that Harmes was amongst the better players at Casey on the weekend. Wonder if he is on Roos' radar for selection this week. I'm not keen on seeing MJones, Terlich or Bail coming back in, particularly if Bail has had another unfortunate head knock.

Could we have the likes of Howe (in defence) & Watts (in attack) going third man up against Sandi all day at every single ball-up and throw-in? If they make it known to the umps that they were going to do this at every opportunity, do Freo have the right to block them without giving away a free? What are the rules with third man up?

One of our players got a free against for blocking a Richmond player going 3rd man up if that answers your question. Actually Bernie Vince has been our 3rd man up at the centre bounces in the past 2 weeks, with Jamar blocking the path of the opposing ruckman, though Jamar did get warned by the umps.

... And those calling for Spencer to come in to combat Sandilands have no idea. The loss of Frost was actually a godsend because it meant that Jamar didn't have to rest up forward. And just look at the Dogs/Crows game. The Dogs dropped Minson against probably the no. 1 ruckman in the comp in Jacobs. They got smashed in the hit-outs yet won the game in a canter.

Aside from the 2nd half against GWS, our clearance work has vastly improved. We need as many mids in the team as possible in order to implement Roos' gameplan of quick ball movement into the forward line. Spencer will never come in unless Jamar is out, because it basically leaves us with one less rotation of the bench.

It's not just Sandi, it's Clarke as well. Jamar can't take them both on. Jamar relies on his strength and body use, but he's no match for Sandi physically. If Jamar gets smashed, we get smashed - like 2nd half vs GWS. We must have another option, even if it's not a great one.

In general I'm a big advocate of the part of your post that I've bolded. If Jamar can hold his own and the back-up ruck isn't that good, we're far better to go in with an extra runner. But it's horses for courses, and Freo are the big exception to his general rule.

• Like 1

Not sure who they should bring in but I'm predicting they'll select Grimes to play the lock down jetta role and the toump for Kent's defensive forward role with time in the middle. Good call on watts and how's third man up roles. Saw a bit of that against tigers

It would be interesting to see what conclusions some here would draw if Watts was injured in Q1 of a game and we went on to win the match.

We would win a lot more without Watts. He is a passenger. We play one man down with his output.

Not sure if serious or taking the pizz. What skill set are we talking about here?

Grimes and Toumpas were both named as emergencies against Richmond, and whilst I didn't see the Casey game, both would appear to have done enough to justify a recall to the seniors.

And those calling for Spencer to come in to combat Sandilands have no idea. The loss of Frost was actually a godsend because it meant that Jamar didn't have to rest up forward. And just look at the Dogs/Crows game. The Dogs dropped Minson against probably the no. 1 ruckman in the comp in Jacobs. They got smashed in the hit-outs yet won the game in a canter.

Toumpas was ok, as you didn't see him against Footscray you are going on people's opinions and the general consensus was ok not immediate recall

Minson needed a wake up call and he certainly performed for Footscray as did Goodes who is also trying to force his way back in

Spencer has been in the best six now for about 4 weeks including the practice games, so following your theory he should get a call up

I love a good laugh before bedtime, thank you, Watts cool head in picking out Vandenberg for his goal is one of the many reasons he is in the team

I wouldnt say many reasons

Hes in for a couple of reasons, but hes barely holding on to his spot

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 2

Getting sick of this junk.

Tell me who comes in instead and give me a decent justification. Not just 'Pedersen because he is better' or 'tougher' or whatever.

What junk?

He has been out of form for 3 weeks and if hes not getting the ball hes useless.

What junk?

He has been out of form for 3 weeks and if hes not getting the ball hes useless.

What does 'out of form' count as?

These thousands of posts calling for Watts to be dropped because he's useless (1) are mindless, (2) disregard the fact that he actually isn't and (3) disregard the fact that there isn't anybody to replace him.

Do some analysis, don't just repeat what the mindless heard tell you.

Sorry to pick on you - yours was just the most recent post I saw on this topic when I finally had enough.

• Like 2

What does 'out of form' count as?

These thousands of posts calling for Watts to be dropped because he's useless (1) are mindless, (2) disregard the fact that he actually isn't and (3) disregard the fact that there isn't anybody to replace him.

Do some analysis, don't just repeat what the mindless heard tell you.

Sorry to pick on you - yours was just the most recent post I saw on this topic when I finally had enough.

I never called for him to be dropped. He will stay in the team because his foot skills are valuable and he can kick a goal, but besides a good round 1 he has been poor.

• Like 1