Footscray v Casey Scorpions - Round 2, 2015

KC from Casey

Footscray Bulldogs 3.4 6.4 13.6 15.7 (97)
Casey Scorpions 0.3 3.8 6.8 10.13 (73)

GOALS:
Footscray Bulldogs: Campbell 4 Redpath 4 Hamilton 2 Russell Kelly Minson Hunter Buchanan
Casey Scorpions: Pedersen 3 Hutchins 2 Harmes Gent Walmsley Morris Toumpas

BEST:
Footscray Bulldogs: Hunter Goodes Prudden Roberts Redpath Campbell
Casey Scorpions: Grimes Smith Pedersen Hutchins Spencer Riley

• Like 1

I might add, a massive whack to the Western Bulldogs who had the gall to try and charge $5 extra on top of ground admittance to have the pleasure of sitting in the grandstand. Disgraceful greedy policy that we didn't take up

• Like 1

Footscray Bulldogs 3.4 6.4 13.6 15.7 (97)Casey Scorpions 0.3 3.8 6.8 10.13 (73)GOALS:

Footscray Bulldogs: Campbell 4 Redpath 4 Hamilton 2 Russell Kelly Minson Hunter Buchanan

Casey Scorpions: Pedersen 3 Hutchins 2 Harmes Gent Walmsley Morris ToumpasBEST:

Footscray Bulldogs: Hunter Goodes Prudden Roberts Redpath Campbell

Casey Scorpions: Grimes Smith Pedersen Hutchins Spencer Riley

Not sure if you have mentioned this before DD36 regarding Toumpas. He had a team high 28 disposals yet wasn't in your best. Any particular knock on his game today ?

Edit: spelling

Not sure if you have mentioned this before DD36 regarding Toumpas. He had a team high 28 disposals yet wasn't in your best. Any particular knock on his game today ?

Edit: spelling

Went missing in the second half.... dinky little kicks putting team mates under pressure resulting in turn overs

anyone have any final free kick counts?

reading this thread it sounded horrendous

Wasn't as bad as people saying from the view at being at the ground. Normal crap...Nothing bias tho...went both ways

• Like 2

Went missing in the second half.... dinky little kicks putting team mates under pressure resulting in turn overs

Maybe they were saving him for the seniors next week? (at least 2 are almost certainly out of the seniors through injury (Jetta & Kent) whilst Tyson might be doubtful)

Others have said he played reasonably well and the positive is that Toumpas had 20 odd possessions in the first half when the pace was on. That's what the MC would be looking at (amongst other things)

Maybe they were saving him for the seniors next week? (at least 2 are almost certainly out of the seniors through injury (Jetta & Kent) whilst Tyson might be doubtful)

Others have said he played reasonably well and the positive is that Toumpas had 20 odd possessions in the first half when the pace was on. That's what the MC would be looking at (amongst other things)

i don't think he is ready yet macca. still to tentative, doesn't use his pace and overdoes the dinkies

I might add, a massive whack to the Western Bulldogs who had the gall to try and charge $5 extra on top of ground admittance to have the pleasure of sitting in the grandstand. Disgraceful greedy policy that we didn't take up

I thought that was a bit odd. We just paid the $10 and then went into the GS anyway.

i don't think he is ready yet macca. still to tentative, doesn't use his pace and overdoes the dinkies

Were you there dc?

I'm not going to take one persons opinion as being fact here - there might be an agenda. Another person who was there said he played quite well. So who do we believe. Dinky kicks? They've all been guilty of that on occasions. He's not Robinson Crusoe.

He's a 3rd year draftee - we need to find out if he can cut it ... many others in the 2's have had 5+ seasons and are extremely limited footballers. In fact, those types are taking us nowhere.

If Toumpas fails - so be it. But he needs an opportunity either way.

I also reckon the Toumpas detractors want to keep him at Casey so as to strengthen their own agenda later on. The PF brigade are gaining numbers but I don't value any of their opinions. They are way too impatient and believe in the draft too much.

• Like 1

Were you there dc?

I'm not going to take one persons opinion as being fact here - there might be an agenda. Another person who was there said he played quite well. So who do we believe. Dinky kicks? They've all been guilty of that on occasions. He's not Robinson Crusoe.

He's a 3rd year draftee - we need to find out if he can cut it ... many others in the 2's have had 5+ seasons and are extremely limited footballers. In fact, those types are taking us nowhere.

If Toumpas fails - so be it. But he needs an opportunity either way.

I also reckon the Toumpas detractors want to keep him at Casey so as to strengthen their own agenda later on. The PF brigade are gaining numbers but I don't value any of their opinions. They are way too impatient and believe in the draft too much.

i'm not a detractor macca, but certainly a (constructive) critic

i just think he needs a little more time at casey to build his confidence and start taking the game on

he needs to move more from a reactive mode to a proactive one and back himself in more

i think he can make it, he certainly knows how to find the footy, it's just timing

I was there and I thought Toumpas was average. Really wanted him to do well, but whenever he gets the ball he just looks like he panics. Quite a few times he handballed it to no one or kicked it into a player and had to follow up. I feel like he has the capability to do well, but at the moment he just has no composure. Seems to get in the right places though. He does have a weird running style though.

I thought Hunter for the dogs was brilliant. They're so clean around the packs and move the ball so well. Gonna be a force in a couple of years.

• Like 1

A lot of flat footed possession. Didn't see him stream down the ground like Grimes or Terlich. He won a lot of contested ball so could come in as a stopping small defender but couldn't see him up the field at this stage

i'm not a detractor macca, but certainly a (constructive) critic

i just think he needs a little more time at casey to build his confidence and start taking the game on

he needs to move more from a reactive mode to a proactive one and back himself in more

i think he can make it, he certainly knows how to find the footy, it's just timing

All well and good dc but who comes in for Kent?

Bail (goes hard but has had numerous chances and has highly questionable disposal skills)

M Jones (ditto)

McKenzie (ditto)

Riley (maybe as a defensive forward but again, he has questionable disposal skills)

Pedersen (I highly doubt we'll go with another tall to replace Kent)

Stretch (huge maybe - him being selected would surprise)

Gawn/Spencer (maybe if we feel we need another pure ruckman)

Grimes, Terlich and Fitzy are in line to replace Jetta with Grimes being next in line you'd reckon,

There's also a chance that Tyson may miss.

I'm not exactly a fan of Toumpas either - I just want to see him given an opportunity and a fair go (and I certainly won't be judging him according to his draft pick number like many do)

I was there and I thought Toumpas was average. Really wanted him to do well, but whenever he gets the ball he just looks like he panics. Quite a few times he handballed it to no one or kicked it into a player and had to follow up. I feel like he has the capability to do well, but at the moment he just has no composure. Seems to get in the right places though. He does have a weird running style though.

I thought Hunter for the dogs was brilliant. They're so clean around the packs and move the ball so well. Gonna be a force in a couple of years.

Yes, you could see today what dogs supporters have been barking about

A lot of flat footed possession. Didn't see him stream down the ground like Grimes or Terlich. He won a lot of contested ball so could come in as a stopping small defender but couldn't see him up the field at this stage

Question ... do you have a general disappointment in Toumpas based on your expectations of the no.4 pick in the draft?

... and what are your expectations of a no.4 pick?

Me ... I hope for a good player or better but if that doesn't happen I put the result down to the vagaries of the draft. I don't lose any sleep at all if a draftee doesn't make it - no matter what number they get taken at.

They either make it or they don't make it. It's that simple.

Picks 1-10 - hope for a good player or better

Picks 11-20 - hope for a good player

Picks 21-30 - pray for a good player

Picks 31 onwards - thank your lucky stars if you get a good player.

All well and good dc but who comes in for Kent?

Bail (goes hard but has had numerous chances and has highly questionable disposal skills)

M Jones (ditto)

McKenzie (ditto)

Riley (maybe as a defensive forward but again, he has questionable disposal skills)

Pedersen (I highly doubt we'll go with another tall to replace Kent)

Stretch (huge maybe - him being selected would surprise)

Gawn/Spencer (maybe if we feel we need another pure ruckman)

Grimes, Terlich and Fitzy are in line to replace Jetta with Grimes being next in line you'd reckon,

There's also a chance that Tyson may miss.

I'm not exactly a fan of Toumpas either - I just want to see him given an opportunity and a fair go (and I certainly won't be judging him according to his draft pick number like many do)

agree, macca. there is no easy replacement for kent

i'd think bail or jones, purely for their experience and pace, but it's not easy

if tyson is out too, then the decision gets harder. maybe then toumpas as the sub

Wasn't there today, but wondering how Harmes went?

Given there's a cloud over Tyson and the limitations we know about some of our other players, wondering if there's any chance of a call up for him?

He's been talked up highly by Plapp on a few occasions and did pretty well in Round 1. Good pace and can play inside & outside mid and as a half forward.

So peoples thoughts and a run down on how he went would be great?

Question ... do you have a general disappointment in Toumpas based on your expectations of the no.4 pick in the draft?

Me ... I hope for a good player or better but if that doesn't happen I put the result down to the vagaries of the draft. I don't lose any sleep at all if a draftee doesn't make it - no matter what number they get taken at.

Macca, I want all our kids to succeed as much as you do.

I'm only getting to know the Toump as a player and today I saw him as a winner of the ball, good in tight, has poise but needs to get better with those cheeky creative possessions. He didn't run run lines today so if we're going like for like he doesn't step in for Kent, at the moment. We'll need a shuffle for next week though, that's why Roosys on the big bucks. Won't be disappointed if Toump is in next week

• Like 1

Wasn't there today, but wondering how Harmes went?

Given there's a cloud over Tyson and the limitations we know about some of our other players, wondering if there's any chance of a call up for him?

He's been talked up highly by Plapp on a few occasions and did pretty well in Round 1. Good pace and can play inside & outside mid and as a half forward.

So peoples thoughts and a run down on how he went would be great?

Harmes looked good. Pace to burn and took an excellent mark over a player inside 50 and kicked a goal. Looked a player, but not sure if he has the strength for AFL yet. Expect to see him get a run soon .

• Like 2

agree, macca. there is no easy replacement for kent

i'd think bail or jones, purely for their experience and pace, but it's not easy

if tyson is out too, then the decision gets harder. maybe then toumpas as the sub

So do we go back to the well where we sort of know what we're going to get or do we take a punt and invest in the future?

I also saw enough promise in Toumpas in his 1st season to warrant giving him an extended opportunity. If he comes in I'd like to see him get 4 games (at least)

Bail & M Jones weren't listed in our best today for Casey and at least Toumpas got his hands on the ball. Again, I'm not saying that he's going to be a top player or even a good player. My argument is for opportunity.

My fear is that if he doesn't break into the seniors soon then what? Coming into their 3rd year, a draftee needs to show the MC something - in the seniors.