• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Newman's comments on Mitch Clark

Moneider96

Apparently Clark was getting sledged on the footy field Monday and had a cry to his new club about it.

It always makes me wonder if there was more to his departure from our club. Players would know, and they would sledge him for it. Not saying there was anything more to it, just that it makes you think.

• Like 8

I love Sam Newman. Just sprayed Mitch Clark on the footy show, and Damien Barrett got really angry. Anyways, I didn't know wch thread to put this in.

please tell me exactly what was said

hating Mitch Clark has become a passion of mine

• Like 15

please tell me exactly what was said

hating Mitch Clark has become a passion of mine

Barrett had the "exclusive" that there was an "incident" (a popular journalistic term to exaggerate and incite something of little consequence) involving Hawks players sledging Clark on Monday. It was never stated that the sledging was depression/illness related, but Barrett left it vague for people to draw this conclusion.

Could just as easily been sledging for the way he royally [censored] us over, but the bleeding hearts all defended Mitch while Sam called a spade a spade.

Never agreed more with Newman in my life but he basically said "fair dinkum, why don't we just ban players from speaking? Will that solve the problem? If he put himself out there after doing what he did then he leaves himself open to criticism on the field."

Then Selwood waffled off some rubbish, clearly rehearsed line about how much Clark has brought to their club, and that their culture allows them to protect and nurture Clark through issues like this (geez, thought he got over those just in time for trade period!). Gibbo claimed ignorance but danced around the issue and seemed mostly unapologetic. They aren't soft at the Hawks and there's a reason they're such a good team. Gibbo would dish it out as good as anyone on the field to throw off his opponent.

In summary, Clark knew this would follow him after what he did and can't cry foul now. Zero sympathy for him. The fact that he went and cried to the club about it just reflects how narcissistic and toxic he is. Everything's all about Mitch and he deserves the red carpet to be rolled out. Classic attention seeker.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 16

Newman is a tool. Attack Clark for having depression is ridiculous. Clark has declared himself fit to play, he'll cop it over the fence but he shouldn't have to cop it from players. You wouldn't sledge a player for having any other illness. I doubt anyone is laying in to the several diabetics in the AFL or Tom Lonergan who lost a kidney.

Anyone who attacks Clark on part of depression is a gutless wonder. If you want to criticise his move from Melbourne, the retirement etc then you can but have some class and leave the depression out of it.

FFS can some of you people move on. Aligning yourself with the views of Sam Newman is not a smart idea, this isn't the 1960's.

• Like 15

Newman is a tool. Attack Clark for having depression is ridiculous. Clark has declared himself fit to play, he'll cop it over the fence but he shouldn't have to cop it from players. You wouldn't sledge a player for having any other illness. I doubt anyone is laying in to the several diabetics in the AFL or Tom Lonergan who lost a kidney.

Anyone who attacks Clark on part of depression is a gutless wonder. If you want to criticise his move from Melbourne, the retirement etc then you can but have some class and leave the depression out of it.

FFS can some of you people move on. Aligning yourself with the views of Sam Newman is not a smart idea, this isn't the 1960's.

Agree it's time to move on, but perhaps he was not referring to Mitch's depression but things that happened whist at previous club/s. Can't believe I'm defending that FW Sam Newman. Actually, forget it. Time to move on, as you said.

• Like 1

its the AFL

Players get sledged for anything and everything,. if he doesnt like he he should hang up the boots

So you'd have no problem with players from opposing clubs sledging the Riewoldts' over the death of their sister/cousin? All class.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

So you'd have no problem with players from opposing clubs sledging the Riewoldts' over the death of their sister/cousin? All class.

yeah id be totally ok with that.... NOT

You absolute [censored]

• Like 3

You absolute [censored]

Yet you think it's ok to sledge someone over depression... an illness that can and does take lives?

Oh that's right, it was Clark being sledged and that makes it perfectly acceptable in your books, doesn't it.

Edited by Dr John Dee
  • Like 3

You absolute [censored]

So by anything and everything you meant:

- Not the death of a sister/cousin

Presumably, unless you are a bigot you meant

- Not racism

- Not religion

- Not sexuality

But you're fine with mental illness, which just like your skin colour, sexuality, death of a sister you can't choose?

If there's proof Clark was a lying weasel then I'm all for it. If you want to take the [censored] out of his photography, knocking up some chick in Brisbane, stupid tatts or even saying he shouldn't have left the dees then that's fine we me as well. But you can't attack a guy for having an illness. If you're smart you wouldn't do it because the karma bus can hit pretty hard. 1 in 6 will have depression. 1 in 4 will have anxiety. 1 in 2 Australians will be diagnosed with cancer by the time they are 85. The odds aren't on your side buddy.

• Like 8

So by anything and everything you meant:

- Not the death of a sister/cousin

Presumably, unless you are a bigot you meant

- Not racism

- Not religion

- Not sexuality

But you're fine with mental illness, which just like your skin colour, sexuality, death of a sister you can't choose?

If there's proof Clark was a lying weasel then I'm all for it. If you want to take the [censored] out of his photography, knocking up some chick in Brisbane, stupid tatts or even saying he shouldn't have left the dees then that's fine we me as well. But you can't attack a guy for having an illness. If you're smart you wouldn't do it because the karma bus can hit pretty hard. 1 in 6 will have depression. 1 in 4 will have anxiety. 1 in 2 Australians will be diagnosed with cancer by the time they are 85. The odds aren't on your side buddy.

Something makes me think that there is more to the sledging (wasn't about depression), or it's being blown out of proportion because Selwood was on the show and Barrett wanted to see how far he could go with it. I can't see the Hawk players blatantly giving him curry about his struggle with depression as, surely, that's a no go zone.

• Like 1

Don't automatically assume the comments were re his depression. I was at the game & there was booing every time he got the ball. The comments were also more to do with his treatment of melb......never heard any comments re mental health. It's just so easy for people to jump on the high moral ground & make politically correct statements ........I would suggest that only Mitch Clark would know best about his mental health .......however from an outsider .....he's seems to be doing pretty well in one of the most scrutinised work places going round .....& I am a big believer in the "conspiracy theories" floating round

• Like 8

Don't automatically assume the comments were re his depression. I was at the game & there was booing every time he got the ball. The comments were also more to do with his treatment of melb......never heard any comments re mental health. It's just so easy for people to jump on the high moral ground & make politically correct statements ........I would suggest that only Mitch Clark would know best about his mental health .......however from an outsider .....he's seems to be doing pretty well in one of the most scrutinised work places going round .....& I am a big believer in the "conspiracy theories" floating round

I have no idea what the sledges were about... I was having a go at HH as he seemed to think that sledging Clark over his depression was perfectly acceptable and that if he can't take it, he should hang up the boots.

• Like 1

Something makes me think that there is more to the sledging (wasn't about depression), or it's being blown out of proportion because Selwood was on the show and Barrett wanted to see how far he could go with it. I can't see the Hawk players blatantly giving him curry about his struggle with depression as, surely, that's a no go zone.

I didn't like the booing of Clark. Hawthorn never wanted him. Collingwood, maybe they can boo him for not picking them. Same with Freo or Brisbane. But Hawthorn fans can get stuffed. I don't want their pity. I'll boo Clark myself if we ever play Geelong in Melbourne and if I feel it's appropriate.

And I've got no doubt Barrett is muck raking as usual. But it doesn't excuse what Newman said and wanted to say.

• Like 3

Yet you think it's ok to sledge someone over depression... an illness that can and does take lives?

Oh that's right, it was Clark being sledged and that makes it perfectly acceptable in your books, doesn't it.

obviously the issue is not that he (allegedly) has depression but that he pulled a shifty move on our club and everybody knows it

• Like 7

I didn't like the booing of Clark. Hawthorn never wanted him. Collingwood, maybe they can boo him for not picking them. Same with Freo or Brisbane. But Hawthorn fans can get stuffed. I don't want their pity. I'll boo Clark myself if we ever play Geelong in Melbourne and if I feel it's appropriate.

And I've got no doubt Barrett is muck raking as usual. But it doesn't excuse what Newman said and wanted to say.

are you serious? I think it's awesome that fans who don't have a horse in the race still recognise a dog act when they see it, and want it known that type of behaviour should be reprimanded. It's taking a stand against something that's just plain wrong

• Like 16

This.

Up there with the most stupid and dumbest thing HH has said on here.

Stay classy.

obviously the issue is not that he (allegedly) has depression but that he pulled a shifty move on our club and everybody knows it

That would be reasonable if that was indeed the case, but looking at this (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-09/clark-sledged-by-hawks), it looks like the sledging may have been related to his depression.

I didn't like the booing of Clark.

Well get used to it.

Should we not boo Hird?

I loved hearing both of them get booed, even if Dwayne thought it was harsh, what a tool.

• Like 5

Clark wanted out and found a loophole. Enough people realise this, hence the public booing and general poor reception he receives.

• Like 22

You don't retire from a club like a melbourne with depression, then 6 months later join up with another team. It is what it is and we shouldn't show him any compassion, he didn't give a [censored] about us, so why should we do the same for him.

He let us down and we all know it.

• Like 15

1 in 4 people have depression and they just get on with it. This bloke is a sook and a tool with no morales. That is why he is getting sledged. Walking out on a struggling club and just generally being a selfish [censored].

• Like 7

You don't retire from a club like a melbourne with depression, then 6 months later join up with another team. It is what it is and we shouldn't show him any compassion, he didn't give a [censored] about us, so why should we do the same for him.

He let us down and we all know it.

Thank you for your expert analysis.