Changes for Round 2

Nasher

Nev Jet is the first bloke to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to matters of courage and hardness.

Yep, at the time, I thought what he did was weak as [censored], that he was staging. But, now I've forgiven him; he'll learn, won't do a Lindsay Thomas ever again hopefully.

We always have trouble when teams go tall against us and Jamar was patchy. GWS is quite tall and I think another ruck option is important. gawn did a good job for Casey yesterday. Gawn and Dawes to come in and Toumpas and unluckily Cross out. It is a long time since wehave had to make tough selection calls.

This has appeal, as I think Gawn in form and holding his marks particularly up forward would stretch them. GWS are tall even without Patton. in the end it is about assembling the team to match them and beat them. In spite of my last post, I'm now inclined to go:

In: Gawn, Dawes, Vince

Out: Toumpas, Cross, Kent

Sub: JKH

This means the team would be:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland

HB: Lumumba McDonald Howe

CC: Newton Jones Vince

HF: Salem Dawes Watts

FF: Garlett Hogan Gawn

Foll: Jamar Tyson Viney

Inter: Brayshaw Vandenberg Frost

Reserves: Grimes Kent Stretch Cross

If it is wet i would go with Kent for Gawn.

Awesome forward line, especially if it is dry and Max starts holding his marks (cant wait to see Geoffy Garlet at his feet!) like he did in the twos at the weekend, and we will not go off the boil when Jamar rests as we did to some extent at the weekend. Also given Frost's pace i'd be inclined to give him a go on the wing when on. Would be extraordinarily difficult to match up on. He is also at this stage only an average kick for goal. Might also give Vanders a run on the ball given his strength and marking ability.

It is a big fast side....

• Like 2

Yep, at the time, I thought what he did was weak as [censored], that he was staging. But, now I've forgiven him; he'll learn, won't do a Lindsay Thomas ever again hopefully.

But you don't just let that stuff go easily. I'm sure Roos had a talk to him about it

I was thinking Maximus Gawnius might have been an in this week as the big Mummy carved us up last time. That being said does he deserve it? I would say Toump needs to go to the ressies for at least 4-5 weeks before being considered for a recall. It was lucky that the cut off handball was without consequence in the end but it is symbolic of where Jimmy is at as a player.

This might be heresy to some but perhaps Brayshaw might need a rest or to be played as a sub. Not because he didn't play well but more to stock to the Roos mantra of 'slowly slowly'.

I'm also thinking Kent for Dawes might be the ticket. No fault of Dean's but that is one of those 'team balance things and he did get a fair knock last week.

So for mine, it's:

In: Vince, Dawes, Gawn

Out:Toumpas, Kent, Brayshaw

Exactly. Tyson did one of the worst kicks I've ever seen off the HBF to about 3 GC players in the middle of the ground which gave them another inside 50 (can't remember if they scored from it or not - not really the point). It was a true off the side of the boot mongrel. He's a repeat offender too. I find the double standards on disposal errors amongst fans really frustrating.

Anyway, as ProDee pointed out, it's pretty unlikely the coaches pay any attention to the odd error anyway. I really doubt they're that fussed about the errors Cross made, given the rest of his game was strong.

Yes what is it about Tyson's kicking. He is great on the run at full pace but around the ground he so often stuffs it up, not so much in accuracy simply in power. Is he injured??

Edited by Dees2014

If we are going to bring in a ruckman (and I believe it is likely) then Spencer has leapfrogged Gawn and would be the choice.

Spencer cant play forward, he would be a horrible inclusion and leave us extremely one dimensional

Spencer should only ever come in if Jamar is injured

Spencer cant play forward, he would be a horrible inclusion and leave us extremely one dimensional

The problem is Gawn was very ordinary during the NAB games. Spencer is now fully fit and , according to reports, was very good on Saturday. His aggression and tackling would be a bonus.

I was thinking Maximus Gawnius might have been an in this week as the big Mummy carved us up last time. That being said does he deserve it? I would say Toump needs to go to the ressies for at least 4-5 weeks before being considered for a recall. It was lucky that the cut off handball was without consequence in the end but it is symbolic of where Jimmy is at as a player.

This might be heresy to some but perhaps Brayshaw might need a rest or to be played as a sub. Not because he didn't play well but more to stock to the Roos mantra of 'slowly slowly'.

I'm also thinking Kent for Dawes might be the ticket. No fault of Dean's but that is one of those 'team balance things and he did get a fair knock last week.

So for mine, it's:

In: Vince, Dawes, Gawn

Out:Toumpas, Kent, Brayshaw

3 changes from a winning side? too much mate. No thanks.

Yes what is it about Tyson's kicking. He is great on the run at full pace but around the ground he so often stuffs it up, not so much in accuracy simply in power. Is he injured??

He's always had a way with clangers. He's a great shot at goal though. Must be a confidence thing.

This has appeal, as I think Gawn in form and holding his marks particularly up forward would stretch them. GWS are tall even without Patton. in the end it is about assembling the team to match them and beat them. In spite of my last post, I'm now inclined to go:

This means the team would be:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland

HB: Lumumba McDonald Howe

CC: Newton Jones Vince

HF: Salem Dawes Watts

FF: Garlett Hogan Gawn

Foll: Jamar Tyson Viney

Inter: Brayshaw Vandenberg Frost

Reserves: Grimes Kent Stretch Cross

If it is wet i would go with Kent for Gawn.

Awesome forward line, especially if it is dry and Max starts holding his marks (cant wait to see Geoffy Garlet at his feet!) like he did in the twos at the weekend, and we will not go off the boil when Jamar rests as we did to some extent at the weekend. Also given Frost's pace i'd be inclined to give him a go on the wing when on. Would be extraordinarily difficult to match up on. He is also at this stage only an average kick for goal. Might also give Vanders a run on the ball given his strength and marking ability.

It is a big fast side....

I think that's at least one tall too many - what was great about Saturday was the team balance, run and spread.

Gawn has proven to be a liability when brought in - he doesn't use his height, doesn't do enough round the ground and isn't good enough to be first Ruckman.

I would also keep Salem back - one of the great things about the game was our kicking out of defence and Salem should stay and grow in that position.

Apart from Vince coming in for Toumpas those aren't good changes and they leave us very top heavy. One of the reasons we played so well on Saturday was because we got the mix of players just right - changing that up would be very detrimental to our chances.

Plus making 3 changes from a winning side is wrong. There is no need for Gawn to come in anyway, and to drop Cross is ludicrous.

• Like 4

Apart from Vince coming in for Toumpas those aren't good changes and they leave us very top heavy. One of the reasons we played so well on Saturday was because we got the mix of players just right - changing that up would be very detrimental to our chances.

Plus making 3 changes from a winning side is wrong. There is no need for Gawn to come in anyway, and to drop Cross is ludicrous.

Yep, if we bring in 2 talls, then we will play A LOT slower than we did against Gold Coast; which is not good.

Jesus !!! thought I was seeing double - I did have a few yesterday. What the hell are you doing Col? (imitation is flattery I suppose)

You are a role model of mine of sorts Bitter (sans the cross dressing) but not sure what you are talking about. You will have to bring me up to speed, old mucker.

If there are no injuries from the game I would be going with the following:

B: Jetta Dunn Garland

HB: Salem McDonald Howe

C: Lumumba Jones Vince

HF: Kent Dawes Watts

F: Garlett Hogan Frost

R: Jamar Tyson Cross

Int: Newton Viney VandenBerg

S: Kennedy-Harris

Ins: Dawes, Vince

Out: Toumpas, Brayshaw

Vince and Dawes are both too good to leave out when fit so they must both come in. Toumpas will be better for the run at Casey to build some confidence and will hopefully break into the side later in the season. Brayshaw is very unlucky as I thought he was outstanding in his first game but I think with Vince coming in the senior experience will be needed and Brayshaw will also benefit from tearing up Casey with Toumpas. Kennedy-Harris played really well as the sub a few times last year so his speed and skill may be crucial late in the game.

• Like 2

Dawes and Vince are definite in's.

Hogan and maybe Frost may go past Dawes this year or later but at present Dawes is still our main key forward and last year's leading goal kicker.

He may however have to suck it up and become the second ruckman if Frost gets the tap on the shoulder which would be awfully unlucky. Can't see this happening but.

In: Vince, Dawes

Out: Toumpas and the most injured player

Even if our forward line contains Frost, Hoges, Dawes and Watts I'm not concerned about being to tall/slow. Watts we know can move his backside and Dawes & Hoges provide good chase and pressure and we all got a crush on Frosty for some of his tackling.

If our forward line had talks like Gawn and Fitzy roaming I'd be worried as they offer little once the pill hits the deck

GWS have Phil Davis as their only key back. Dawes must come in to exploit that. I think Frost has to stay as not only the 2nd ruck but to smash his old teammates

Have you ever heard of Joel Patfull - won two B&Fs at Brisbane where he played on almost every tall forward - he will probably get Hogan with Davis on Dawes.

They also have Aidan Corr - who is taller than Lynden Dunn - who will take either Sam Frost or Watts.

Have you ever heard of Joel Patfull - won two B&Fs at Brisbane where he played on almost every tall forward - he will probably get Hogan with Davis on Dawes.

They also have Aidan Corr - who is taller than Lynden Dunn - who will take either Sam Frost or Watts.

Patfull is a 3rd tall like Josh Gibson or Jeremy Howe.

Aidan Corr is far too skinny to play effectively on big key forwards.

If they are playing on Hogan and Dawes they will kick 8 between them.

We need to be careful with going too tall. I agree. The last two or three times we've played GWS we've been embarrassed by their defensive runners. They run off our big guys. Frost is the perfect bloke to keep in. He's lightning quick, a great tackler and won't let the GWS blokes get out of their defensive 50 easily.

Patfull is a 3rd tall like Josh Gibson or Jeremy Howe.

Aidan Corr is far too skinny to play effectively on big key forwards.

If they are playing on Hogan and Dawes they will kick 8 between them.

Patfull plays a lot better than a third tall though. I would compare him to Gibson, who can more than hold his own against KPFs.

Hogan, Dawes, frost and watts will be a handful for the Giants if we can get it in there.

Cross won't be dropped

Roos doesn't like to make changes. The only one I can see is Dawes for the Toump. It would be easy to justify giving Vince more match conditioning at Casey.

yes, thats true Everyone seems to think Vince will come right in but perhaps he does need one more full game at Casey.

Then in vs his old mob in Round 3 :)

• Like 1