Jeff Garlett - What's the story?

Curry & Beer

He is soft as butter. Makes Jack Watts look tough.

But he is quick and can read the play and does have nice footskills as well.

His best seasons came when playing in partnership with Betts as the second small forward as well. Depending on the form of JKH, Kent, Salem it is likely that he gets the best small defender.

Obviously he's a fast twitch sprint kind of player, but he is much closer to the back than the front in the endurance, which isn't really a surprise with small forwards, but he's not going to be a midfield option nor is he going to be an everywhere man in the forward line. But that's not his role either.

He was worth a speculative pick 60 and 2 year deal, but I'd only be upset if I were Carlton and didn't have a replacement lined up. Apparently they were very keen on Ahmed Saad and I think they got a bit too cute by waiting for their 2nd rookie pick and the Saints grabbed him back.

Great summary!

I wonder how much of the decision can be attributed squarely on the coach, and how much goes to the recruiting team??

Also, would it change (increase in favor of coaches input) if its not a kid but a payer from another team?

Cheers.

I sent it to a few of my mates in Melbourne who support less desirable teams, they asked the same question. My answer was that the fact it's happening at a second club with a different recruiting department plus I'd ideally associate recruiters with scouting the kids where as coaches see the players play either directly when they're coaching or looking to next weeks opponent.

Paul Roos 2002-2010 Sydney Swans

2002 - traded pick 23 for Nick Davis(Collingwood)

2003- no trades

2004 - traded pick 15 for Darren Jolly(Melbourne)

2005 - traded picks 19 & 50 for Ted Richards(Essendon)

2006 - traded pick 33 for Spider Everitt(Hawthown)

2007 - traded picks 28 for Marty Matner(Adelaide) and 44 for Henry Playfair(Geelong)

2008 - traded pick 46 for Rhys Shaw and pick 61(Collingwood)

2009 - traded picks 39, 46 and 70 for Ben McGlynn and Josh Kennedy(Hawthorn, possibly trade of the decade) pick 28 for Shane Mumford(Geelong) and a three way trade which saw Sydney get Mark Seaby, Amon Buchanan to the Lions and a swapping of picks.

2010 - pretty sure Longmire takes the raines at this point.

2013 - traded picks 2 & 20 for pick 9(Salem) and Dom Tyson(GWS) pick 54 for Michie(Freo) pick 23 for Bernie Vince(Adelaide)

2014 - traded Mitch Clark for H(effectively that's how it happened) picks 61 & 79 for Jeff Garlett(Carlton) pick 23 for Sam Frost(GWS) and picks 40(ANB) and 53(Oscar McDonald)

Trading is an artform and Roos is possibly the best in the business. The trades from his time in Sydney turned some of the players looking for a fresh start (some on the scrap heap) into premiership players and All Australians. (Note some may of achieved after Roos had left but we're traded to the club by him).

....and that is a big part of why he is worth $1.5m per year

• Like 4

It's all to do with the coach, some players respond better to some coaches and not others, I was certainly one of those players. Malthouse would be avert hard man to play under, I really hope he can flourish under Roo's, we need goal kickers so badly.

• Like 2

I am hoping someone can help me clarify what the situation is with this player, as it doesn't seem to add up, and I wonder why he seems to have been completely forgotten by the AFL community. So we got him for pick 61, which seems to be an absolute bargain,......

I'll quote myself from the original Garlett thread :

Agreed. I like little Jeffy. He's a different type to Kent who is more a running half forward and JKH who I believe will play his best footy in the midfield. Neither of them are crumbing types and Jeffy I think would complement rather than constrict their opportunities

He will add a bit of excitement to what is - let's face it - a pretty dreary team. When he is sniffing around the packs that Hogan crashes or sharking the spills from Dawes marking, I reckon he will get a few of us out of our seats

My sister is a mad Bluebagger who is really sorry he's left. She genuinely wishes him well at Melbourne. She claims his off-field troubles were domestic rather than behavioural - something to do with the mother of his kid. She also reckons he is a very shy young fella and that the pub incident from which charges are pending was right out of character

And at Pick 61 - all he has to do is be able to hit a target by hand or foot and he's ahead of half our list. Bargain

• Like 2

Worth every penny. MFC was a rabble, I'm surprised Roos even taken us on.

Glad he did though, without Roos and PJ, I shutter to think where we'd be.

We could be literally anywhere under the stewardship of CS and MN (except in the top 17)!

Try showering.

It really helps if you are on the pull.

Not when you're in Beech Forest.

Trust me.

• Like 2

He is soft as butter. Makes Jack Watts look tough.

His best seasons came when playing in partnership with Betts as the second small forward as well. Depending on the form of JKH, Kent, Salem it is likely that he gets the best small back

A smug know-it-all Carlton supporter at work said to me that the without his mate Eddie Betts , Garlett is useless.

He reckons the two of them waxed it when the footy was in the forward line at Carlton, and when Betts left , his usefulness expired.

Possibly this was the party line at Carlton.

I hope they're wrong.

Eddie certainly prospered at Adelaide, but they've got a great forward line.

A smug know-it-all Carlton supporter at work said to me that the without his mate Eddie Betts , Garlett is useless.

He reckons the two of them waxed it when the footy was in the forward line at Carlton, and when Betts left , his usefulness expired.

If he needs a partner, JKH and Kent seem likely for the job.

Very interesting to read another teams forum.

Just been looking at some thread re: Carltons list management and came cross this cracker!

padre:

Agree totally re your reference to our culture. I call waite and garlett "c o c k teasers" they entice you with their very best and you get sucked into having them in your best 22 because their very best is formidable. But their inconsistency is not worth the commitment of having them on your list. Its just a pity that our football department didnt see fit to trade them when they had currency. I think they would have last year if we had in place then, the new emerging culture that our change in president seems to have sparked. But thats history...moving on.

(sorry could not get rid of the stupid text highlight)

Inconsistency is my suspicions to his being traded.

(sorry could not get rid of the stupid text highlight)

Inconsistency is my suspicions to his being traded.

The nature of small crumbing forwards is inconstancy. They don't lead out and mark it themselves they rely on the ball hitting the deck and positioning themselves to exploit it with maximum chance of kicking a goal or creating a goal scoring opportunity. The fact Garlett has kicked 40+ a season a number of times demonstrates he is good at his trade.

• Like 3

A couple of points on Garlett, when he first arrived, had a chat to him, asked him if he was going to join in on the Malthouse bagging that both Lucas and Robinson had done, said he was now a Melbourne player and that was in the past

He is really good mates with Nev Jetta, they both laughed about Garlett's love of lap running, almost as much as Nev, but I asked the fitness staff, he has not missed a session and his numbers are where they should be, still doing the same speed etc at the end of the session as at the beginning, so fitness is not an issue

Nev, JKH and Garlett are forming a tight little unit, with Nev as the 'Uncle' as JKH calls him

And yes the pub moment was out of character, I have asked a few who should know

If Roos wanted him that will do me, I have seen a couple of moments of magic that show if his head is in the right place he will be an asset, only training I know, one he was running across the middle of the ground from left to right with ball in hand, stopped, turned and kicked down the throat of Matt Jones on left wing, not even sure how he saw him....another drill was stood with Dunny who we all know has developed into a good one on one player, Garlett went to take off Dunn went with him, but Garlett just spon around and was five metres away before Dunn could react

As for him being soft, he does the wrestling drills with Nev, so I doubt he is that soft, he also knows how to tackle

Edited by The Devil Inside
  • Like 5

The nature of small crumbing forwards is inconstancy. They don't lead out and mark it themselves they rely on the ball hitting the deck and positioning themselves to exploit it with maximum chance of kicking a goal or creating a goal scoring opportunity. The fact Garlett has kicked 40+ a season a number of times demonstrates he is good at his trade.

and also he hardly missed a game for 4 years, meaning he was never dropped for form until 2014

thanks for all the replies but I am not sure we have unravelled much of this mystery yet!

my main question remains: why only us and the bombers interested, it doesn't quite fit

and also he hardly missed a game for 4 years, meaning he was never dropped for form until 2014

thanks for all the replies but I am not sure we have unravelled much of this mystery yet!

my main question remains: why only us and the bombers interested, it doesn't quite fit

I'm not too worried about this - we'll see how he goes. But to add to your concern, the significance of Essendon also being interested has to be diluted by the fact that they need established players to cover the possibility of you know what. So effectively it was only us.

• Like 1

I'm not too worried about this - we'll see how he goes. But to add to your concern, the significance of Essendon also being interested has to be diluted by the fact that they need established players to cover the possibility of you know what. So effectively it was only us.

good point