• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Starting 22 - Round 1

rollinson 65

Are you trying to highlight the fact that we suddenly have so much depth in our midfield that we have the luxury of leaving out guns like Truck and Brayshaw?

Guns not yet, potentially yes but not yet. will they play round 1 I highly doubt it. It is completely against roos method of coaching and also defeats the purpose or recruiting the older players.

At the end of the day Toumpas, Salem, JKH, Michie, Matt Jones, Newton, Mckenzie and Newton will provide competition with Petracca and Brayshaw and unless they knock the door down will enjoy a good season developing into midfielders in the VFL

good choice, nice that u left out frost I agree also, is unproven as yet, like howe up forward, maybe swap jones for cross and truck for brayshaw

need to fit newton in as well so maybe omit brayshaw or truck

Yeah, for me It was either Cross or M Jones on the bench and to expand further I'd have JKH Toumpus Fitz as emergency.

truck and brayshaw will be lambs to the slaughter

I think that you are seriously underestimating these two lads. Wait until you see them in the NAB Cup before you finalise your team! From what l have observed at training, they have the bodies, the skill and they are dying to mix it.

Edited by CBDees

It begs the question raised when Grimes first relinquished the captaincy. Was he pushed? Being captain or not should have nothing to do with it. Can he play the role that is asked of him? Is there someone on the list that could do that role better?

Pick the team first without regard to past titles and roles

Sure, Brayshaw and Petracca have more developed bodies than most draftees, but they have only ever played against younger bodies in the Championships and TAC Cup.

Give them a few games at VFL level first, so they can better adapt to the rigours and speed of AFL footy, still a big jump from VFL to AFL but not as great as coming straight in. Ollie Wines is the exception not the rule, even for bigger bodied mids.

• Like 1

Yeah, for me It was either Cross or M Jones on the bench and to expand further I'd have JKH Toumpus Fitz as emergency.

Cross is a gun, his ability to win the ball at stoppages is crucial for us. Yes we've drafted well but they're not there yet. This might be his last year but if fit he must play, I'd have him ahead of Viney at the centre bounces, most likely a different story next year. Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 2

Cross is a gun, his ability to win the ball at stoppages is crucial for us. Yes we've drafted well but they're not there yet. This might be his last year but if fit he must play, I'd have him ahead of Viney at the centre bounces, most likely a different story next year.

I think you are right 'Al', Cross will play. Although it's now his ability to stop opposition guns and get the ball himself that see's him play a number of positions and often keeps him out of centre bounces. Cross has been a really good get.

• Like 2

JETTA FROST DUNN

H MCDONALD SALEM

VINCE JONES WATTS

KENT PEDO HOWE

GARLETT HOGAN PETRACCA

JAMAR TYSON CROSS

VINEY MICHIE TOUMPAS NEWTON

I would like to see Salem/Toumpas start off a back flank as some elite disposal coming out the back half. Apparently being the captain affects your ability to kick a footy.

JETTA FROST DUNN

GARLAND MCDONALD TOUMPAS

H JONES WATTS

KENT PEDO VINCE

GARLETT HOGAN HOWE

JAMAR TYSON CROSS

VINEY SALEM MICHIE PETRACCA

Bit of a reshuffle, dropped Newton and brought in Garland. I've argued my points for and against to death. This is what I think we might look like as opposed to what I would do.

Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 2

A few tipsters have hogan at ff and the priest at chf for round 1

I would have thought that hogan with his tank and what I saw of his preseason and vfl form he is the better option at chf

Thoughts?

A few tipsters have hogan at ff and the priest at chf for round 1

I would have thought that hogan with his tank and what I saw of his preseason and vfl form he is the better option at chf

Thoughts?

I think he will start up the ground and even if at FF it won't be an old fashioned stay at home role. At Casey he moved around the forward line and worked up to the centre of the ground at times.

I think that you are seriously underestimating these two lads. Wait until you see them in the NAB Cup before you finalise your team! From what l have observed at training, they have the bodies, the skill and they are dying to mix it.

We may see them in the NAB games but PR has always maintained that newbies need to spend some time developing in the "2"s although we may see them for an occasional game during the year. Don't throw them in the deep end and make them swim to the shallow end and then wonder why their confidence is shattered. Let them play at Casey, be BOGS, develop their bodies and football brains, giving them a taste occasionally and then 2016 bring in two big, strong bodied footballers capable of playing out their roles. Then again it would be extremely uplifting to see Hogan and his mini-me Petracca roaming around causing havoc.

• Like 2

Jetta Dunn Frost

Grimes McDonald The Prince

Cross Jones, Vince

Howe Watts Garlett

Pedo Hogan Salem

Jamar, Tyson, Viney

Ic/ Garland, Kent, M.Jones sub. Petracca/Brayshaw

Edit: Dawes suspended round 1, replaced with Watts

Edited by J VINEY FAN

Jetta Dunn Frost

Grimes McDonald The Prince

Cross Jones, Vince

Howe Dawes Garlett

Pedo Hogan Salem

Jamar, Tyson, Viney

Ic/ Garland, Kent, M.Jones sub. Petracca/Brayshaw

Dawes is suspended Round 1 (but nice try). Maybe you might have to try Gawn or Fitzy?

Edited by CBDees

I rely solely on training reports for my info and so I hate doing this sort of prediction stuff... but I can't not do it, despite the fact that I know I am going to be so far off the mark that it's not funny.

The first thing that struck me was the fact that I am having to leave out players that I really don't want to leave out; I guess that's a good sign?

Jetta Dunn Frost
Pedo McDonald LaLaLaLamumba
Cross Jones, Vince
Howe Watts Salem
Gawn Hogan Garlett

Jamar, Tyson, Viney

Ic/ Grimes, Kent, JKH sub. M.Jones

Honestly the backline is the hardest for me. Personally I think Howe needs to be there as no one marks in the backline like he does. But to fit him in with Frost, Garland and McDonald is difficult as I believe Grimes will still be good running off half back.

Jetta Mcdonald Dunn

Grimes Howe Lumumba

Cross, Jones, Vince

Watts, Pedo, Kent

JKH, Hogan, Garlett

Jamar, Tyson, Viney

Int: M.Jones, Gawn, Garland, Petracca.

Edited by Barra17

Honestly the backline is the hardest for me. Personally I think Howe needs to be there as no one marks in the backline like he does. But to fit him in with Frost, Garland and McDonald is difficult as I believe Grimes will still be good running off half back.

Jetta Mcdonald Dunn

Grimes Howe Lumumba

Cross, Jones, Vince

Watts, Pedo, Kent

JKH, Hogan, Garlett

Where's the rest of your team?
  • Like 1

JETTA FROST DUNN

H MCDONALD GARLAND

VINCE JONES WATTS

KENT PEDO HOWE

GAWN HOGAN GARLETT

JAMAR TYSON CROSS

VINEY NEWTON SALEM TOUMPAS

Thought it was time to revisit this after reading recent training reports. Not sure how Howe plays down back if everyone is up and about but if we are playing two rucks I'm thinking were s bit too top heavy. Going to interesting to see what happens if everyone is fit. I will get laughed at for this but another option would be drop Howe, Vince to the HFF, Newton or Salem to the wing and Petracca to the bench.

• Like 2

JETTA FROST DUNN

H MCDONALD GARLAND

VINCE JONES WATTS

KENT PEDO HOWE

GAWN HOGAN GARLETT

JAMAR TYSON CROSS

Thought it was time to revisit this after reading recent training reports. Not sure how Howe plays down back if everyone is up and about but if we are playing two rucks I'm thinking were s bit too top heavy. Going to interesting to see what happens if everyone is fit. I will get laughed at for this but another option would be drop Howe, Vince to the HFF, Newton or Salem to the wing and Petracca to the bench.

One thing you can almost guarantee 'Al' is we won't have a full list to pick from. From training reports I would think Newton will play but the NAB games are going to be important.

Like you I'm not keen on the 2 rucks but with Dawes out it might happen.

• Like 1

JETTA FROST DUNN

H MCDONALD GARLAND

VINCE JONES WATTS

KENT PEDO HOWE

GAWN HOGAN GARLETT

JAMAR TYSON CROSS

B: JETTA, T.MCDONALD, DUNN

HB: GRIMES, GARLAND, HOWE

C: VINCE, N.JONES, LUMUMBA

HF: KENT, PEDERSEN, WATTS

F: KENNEDY-HARRIS, HOGAN, GARLETT

FOLL: JAMAR, TYSON, VINEY

IC: CROSS, NEWTON, TOUMPAS

SUB: SALEM

EMERG: BAIL, FROST, GAWN

Lumumba is training with the mids so Howe can replace him in the back half.

I find it hard to fit the 4 talls all in the back half so Frost misses out, it will be interesting to see if they can fit the 4 talls in the same team.

Pedersen will be a replacement for Dawes.

I'm not convinced Gawn can play up forward, drops too many marks and is a liability at ground level hopefully his NAB challenge form can change my mind.

I can't see M.Jones getting a game. He had a really poor last half of the year and with the recruitment of Lumumba and Newton I see them squeezing out M.Jones, I think Bail and Michie are also ahead of him and I would also like to see our 2 high draft picks Petracca and Brayshaw get a game in front of M.Jones as his skill level is not up to AFL standard.

Edited by WERRIDEE
  • Like 2

The more I see the players train, the more I realise how hard it's going to be to pick that starting 22.

I'll leave my judgement until after the NAB cup