Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Starting 22 - Round 1

rollinson 65

Wouldn't be surprised if Fitz replaced Dawes - he finished strongly last year and looks like he will get a full preseason for the first time.

I was thinking this too, but I have a feeling they're more likely to go with Gawn as the Ruck/Forward to switch with Jamar. I'd love it if he did manage to push into the side though.

Hey, people, many thanks...

Ignoring team balance and not knowing about injuries before they happen, I think I will go with most popular from your posts, so:

Dunn, Jetta, McDonald, Viney, Vince, Howe, Garlett, Hogan, N.Jones, Tyson, Jamar, Lumumba, Kent... (that's 13)...

Then Frost, Grimes, Pederson, Watts, Cross... (that's 18)...

That should be enough to beat the grandkids, especially if I forget to tell them that Dawes is suspended... :)

Then Garland and Salem... (that's 20)...

I like the tips on Grimes, Michie and Newton, but I also want JKH, Bail and Toumpas in my team...

Decisions, decisions...

I will drop Grimes and go with Michie, Newton and JKH...

Comments ??

Edited by rollinson 65
  • Like 1

Hey, people, many thanks...

Ignoring team balance and not knowing about injuries before they happen, I think I will go with most popular from your posts, so:

Dunn, Jetta, McDonald, Viney, Vince, Howe, Garlett, Hogan, N.Jones, Tyson, Jamar, Lumumba, Kent... (that's 13)...

Then Frost, Grimes, [Pedersen], Watts, Cross... (that's 18)...

That should be enough to beat the grandkids, especially if I forget to tell them that Dawes is suspended... :)

Then Garland and Salem... (that's 20)...

I like the tips on Grimes, Michie and Newton, but I also want JKH, Bail and Toumpas in my team...

Decisions, decisions...

I will drop Grimes and go with Michie, Newton and JKH...

Comments ??

Why drop Grimes when you already had him in the first 18. Did we secretly draft Dylan or something?

FB: Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB: Prince - McDonald - Grimes

C: Vince - N.Jones - Watts

HF: Howe - Pedersen - Garlett

FF: Kent - Hogan - Jamar

R: Gawn - Tyson - Cross

I: Viney - JKH - M.Jones

S: Brayshaw

E: Frost - Salem - Toump

I'd say everyone in bold, if fit, will play round 1 without any doubt.

The unbolded should play, but may miss out depending on the rest of the preseason.

FB: Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB: Prince - McDonald - Grimes

C: Vince - N.Jones - Watts

HF: Howe - Pedersen - Garlett

FF: Kent - Hogan - Jamar

R: Gawn - Tyson - Cross

I: Viney - JKH - M.Jones

S: Brayshaw

E: Frost - Salem - Toump

I'd say everyone in bold, if fit, will play round 1 without any doubt.

The unbolded should play, but may miss out depending on the rest of the preseason.

I would say that both Salem and Toupas have more chance that M. Jones if they keep training as they have been to date [according to TDI's reports] and I suspect that Petracca similarly has as much chance as Brayshaw.

• Like 2

I'll be staggered if Grimes isn't playing in Round 1. That would be quite a statement to drop the captain from the previous season in Round 1. I think Roos will back him in. If he doesn't perform then his spot may be in jeopardy.

It begs the question raised when Grimes first relinquished the captaincy. Was he pushed? Being captain or not should have nothing to do with it. Can he play the role that is asked of him? Is there someone on the list that could do that role better?
  • Like 2

Jetta Frost McDonald

Grimes Garland Dunn

H N Jones Vince

Watts [Pedersen] Howe

Garlett Hogan Gawn

Jamar Viney Tyson

Cross Kent Toumpas Salem

I like this but I suspect that one of either Brayshaw or Petracca will get a run. At whose expense I am not game to speculate!

It begs the question raised when Grimes first relinquished the captaincy. Was he pushed? Being captain or not should have nothing to do with it. Can he play the role that is asked of him? Is there someone on the list that could do that role better?

Keep in mind we're predicting who Roos will pick for Round 1, not who we think should be in Round 1.

If the public line is that he dropped the captaincy to focus on his game, then I think he'll be given a chance to do so in the first team. Really can't see him being dropped from the outset.

Keep in mind we're predicting who Roos will pick for Round 1, not who we think should be in Round 1.

If the public line is that he dropped the captaincy to focus on his game, then I think he'll be given a chance to do so in the first team. Really can't see him being dropped from the outset.

I can't either and his training form is good. All he needs is to put some games together in the NAB cup then he will be in round 1.

Grimes and Garland are automatic walk-ups for round 1. Roos is all about building a culture and there is no way he will let players with zero runs on the board get a game before these 2 who have plenty,

Ryan Okeefe had runs on the board at Sydney and look what happened there. Are we going to hold back playing young players who have the potential to become elite players for us because someone is a good bloke, or considered a clubman or has been consistently good/average in the past? Edited by Al's Demons

Ryan Okeefe had runs on the board at Sydney and look what happen there. Are we going to hold back playing young players who have the potential to become elite players for us because someone is a good bloke, or considered a clubman or has been consistently good/average in the past?

ROK was a 34yo

Ryan Okeefe had runs on the board at Sydney and look what happen there. Are we going to hold back playing young players who have the potential to become elite players for us because someone is a good bloke, or considered a clubman or has been consistently good/average in the past?

He still played in round 1 even if he was the sub, players like Matt Jones, Rohan Bail, Grimes and even Toumpas will be given the opportunities in the early rounds, if Petracca, Brayshaw and even Frost are able to prove themselves at VFL then they will earn their position. Whilst Salem was injured for the start of pre season he had to earn his spot in the side through consistent VFL performance.

obviously it will also be injury permitted aswell but this is how i think the round 1 line up will go:

B: Jetta Dunn Howe

HB: Lumumba McDonald Garland

W: Watts Viney Vince

HF: Bail [Pedersen] Kent

FF: Garlett Hogan Gawn

R: Jamar RR: N. Jones R: Tyson

Bench: Grimes, Cross, Newton

Sub: Salem

stiff: Toumpas, Matt Jones, Michie

i think Newton edges out Matt Jones, but im not sure because Matt Jones might have the running edge on him, this could slot him into the sub ahead of Salem, but this is pretty close to how i think the team will line up.

Edit: Even Cross could miss out to Matt Jones. i find it hard to see players who played 19+ games getting dropped especially for round one, with natural progression and a full pre season being the only reason i slot Salem in. I also think that he played the sub role quite well when he did play.

Edited by Mad_Melbourne
  • Like 1

Matt Jones has only missed 2 possible games since he joined Melbourne, see the latest article on the website. He is obviously a coaches favourite and will play if fit.

• Like 3

ROK was a 34yo

Yes R-Jay he is/was 34. But still a very skilful player. He was pushed aside because he played a mid/hf role and they had a combination of experienced players who could do the the same job better plus younger players with the potential to be elite knocking the door down. Every team is different we have Cross who is 30/31 years old but because we don't have Sydney's midfield depth his experience/ability becomes valuable to us considering where our list currently sits. We have a number of young mids who have yet to play a game/ just been drafted but have played at other AFL clubs/ been injured/ made the most of their limited opportunities but probably don't warrant replacing Cross plus there are more mids positional wise so they will get their opportunities . Grimes plays the role of a small/medium defender with average skills who has been reasonably consistent, good at times without being great or elite. I would like to see as would some others our back and forward flanks be dual position players being also able to run through the guts and be elite users of the footy. This would make us a versatile and dangerous team with the skills to use the corridor when needed. Was Grimes an elite user of the footy below being given the captaincy? For mine Grimes shouldn't be an automatic selection we have other options which I believe have the potential to surpass what he brings to the team. Edited by Al's Demons

Bored driving home from Lakes Entrance.

Without any inside knowledge ie training and NAB challenge form.

Jetta T.Mcdonald Grimes

Lumumba Garland Dunn

Vince Viney Watts

Kent Pedersen Bail

Garlett Hogan Howe

Jamar Jones Tyson

Int Brayshaw Michie Cross Sub- Petracca

I like the look of Frost, but unless he sets tr world on fire early you'd have to back in Grimes.. Unless GC Go in Tall.

Grimes reads it well, but can't kick under pressure!

And as much as we know Gawn is capable let him get form in the 2s. He is coming back from another knee!

Yes R-Jay he is/was 34. But still a very skilful player. He was pushed aside because he played a mid/hf role and they had a combination of experienced players who could do the the same job better plus younger players with the potential to be elite knocking the door down. Every team is different we have Cross who is 30/31 years old but because we don't have Sydney's midfield depth his experience/ability becomes valuable to us considering where our list currently sits. We have a number of young mids who have yet to play a game/ just been drafted but have played at other AFL clubs/ been injured/ made the most of their limited opportunities but probably don't warrant replacing Cross plus there are more mids positional wise so they will get their opportunities . Grimes plays the role of a small/medium defender with average skills who has been reasonably consistent, good at times without being great or elite. I would like to see as would some others our back and forward flanks be dual position players being also able to run through the guts and be elite users of the footy. This would make us a versatile and dangerous team with the skills to use the corridor when needed. Was Grimes an elite user of the footy below being given the captaincy? For mine Grimes shouldn't an automatic selection we have other options which I believe have the potential to surpass what he brings to the team.

You are getting way off track tbh.

I agree that Grimes' spot comes under question this season but that's not the topic.

Do you think Grimes WILL be dropped for Round 1? Not should. Will. Because that's the topic. Predicting who WILL be selected for Round 1.

• Like 1

AFL players can be pretty deluded. In fact that' true of local footballers. I've never met on that thought they should've been dropped.

But if Grimes is perceptive about his game he would realise his form was poor in 2014 and a chance to be dropped. Therefore he couldn't continue as captain. I don't think you can have a captain in and out of the team. If Roos and co had to push Grimes to make that decision then so be it.

• Like 1

Bored driving home from Lakes Entrance.

Without any inside knowledge ie training and NAB challenge form.

Jetta T.Mcdonald Grimes

Lumumba Garland Dunn

Vince Viney Watts

Kent Pedersen Bail

Garlett Hogan Howe

Jamar Jones Tyson

Int Brayshaw Michie Cross Sub- Petracca

I like the look of Frost, but unless he sets tr world on fire early you'd have to back in Grimes.. Unless GC Go in Tall.

Grimes reads it well, but can't kick under pressure!

And as much as we know Gawn is capable let him get form in the 2s. He is coming back from another knee!

good choice, nice that u left out frost I agree also, is unproven as yet, like howe up forward, maybe swap jones for cross and truck for brayshaw
  • Like 1

need to fit newton in as well so maybe omit brayshaw or truck

Are you trying to highlight the fact that we suddenly have so much depth in our midfield that we have the luxury of leaving out guns like Truck and Brayshaw?