WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BRENDAN McCARTNEY

kurtneverdied

They must be a tough thick skinned breed at Ocean Grove. They thrive on the being bullied approach it seems. Not like AFL princesses.

Yes, we are.

I never played Senior footy under Mcartney, although witnessed how he operates in the change rooms. Very down the line, and commands respect.

I played under Neeld in grove a lil, very much the same. Both were fantastic coaches who unfortunately didn't have what it takes to nurture the "precious" feelings of modern day afl footballers.

If they were both coaching AFL in the early 90's and before, their style would have been very successful. But from all accounts they are fantastic assistant afl coaches.

• Like 5

Yes, we are.

I never played Senior footy under Mcartney, although witnessed how he operates in the change rooms. Very down the line, and commands respect.

I played under Neeld in grove a lil, very much the same. Both were fantastic coaches who unfortunately didn't have what it takes to nurture the "precious" feelings of modern day afl footballers.

If they were both coaching AFL in the early 90's and before, their style would have been very successful. But from all accounts they are fantastic assistant afl coaches.

Maybe we should get Nigella Lawson on board to comfort the kiddies.

Oh wait .drug issues.

• Like 3

Yes, we are.

Thats the major problem these days.

Its not the coaches its the soft [censored] attitude from the players. Once they get into the system they are treated like princesses.

In todays game Leigh Matthews and Ron Barrasi wouldn't last long.

• Like 2

Its not the coaches its the soft [censored] attitude from the players. Once they get into the system they are treated like princesses.

& is it any wonder they all want max rotations so they don't get puffed out of fatigued.... spoils their weekend after the game.

Senior fringe player - can't recall who - think delisted by Cats or Bombers and got a game in Perth or Adelaide.

Said McCartney was best coach he ever had.

Maybe his current coach was Sanderson.

Anyone who thinks McCarthy will end up coaching the dees after what just down at the dogs, has rocks in their head. My mate who is a dogs supporter had little time for him, can't coach., preaches the same [censored] neeld did just had more mates from geelong to back him up.. Never player the game has sans credit in the bank!

McCartney resigned from the Dogs.

Don't let that or the fact that you either don't know or can't spell his name properly get in the way of your agenda.

McCartney is an excellent, well credentialed coaching appointment by the club and should only help to increase the rate at which the team improves.

• Like 1

So how is McCartney such a good development coach if the Bulldogs players disliked him enough to get him sacked? How does that work? I'm honestly asking.

We have no idea what went on, so who knows. Just as we can't really say it was disgraceful how he was sacked. We simply don't know enough information. I'll back our FD to have vetted the situation and McCartney properly. With Roos to helm the ship, under Jackson's watchful eye, I'm sure this will be a good appointment.

McCartney may have been ultimately unsuccessful as a senior coach (by the key performance indicator, but not if you're judging the way the dogs' list is poised for the future), but everywhere he has worked as an assistant or development coach, the man has walked away whilst being lauded for his abilities and is held in the highest of regard.

I dare say his downfall could be attributed to the sins of bulldogs coaches past, in allowing a group of poor leaders run the asylum.

The thing about good leadership is not simply whether people will follow you or not; you need to have the good character to set a path that will lead to success.

Someone like David Schwarz, god love him, was good at getting people to follow him, but that path wasn't leading us anywhere good.

He's not alone and it doesn't make him a bad person.

• Like 2

Was exactly my thinking when he was chopped. Same as well regards...yeah, but, what are the chances. Suddenly Stone retires ( curious timing that :rolleyes:) and now maybe Macca to Melbourne.

We ARE such a different club now :)

All the ducks in a row now just need it all to rub off on the players. An interesting development :)

Yeah, we actually need to see it on the ground, otherwise it's all for nought. We're still the same shitty Melbourne Football Club until we start winning again and then all of a sudden opposition supporters will gripe about all the draft picks we've been handed. See it coming a mile away. :P Couldn't care less though. I'd welcome being disliked again, not pitied.

Coaches have to adapt. That's what makes a good coach. That's what makes a successful teacher. One of my best mates works at Hawthorn, says Clarkson is an absolute hardarse. Well, we've all witnessed that from the stands really, but it goes to show there are some that can make it work. Maybe Clarkson has the balance right?

Didn't Goodwin & McCartney briefly work together at the Bombers?

Yep, they did.

Edited by AdamFarr

I think I can see what happened here. The opening post is written by a person fascinated with rock musicians who died...or perhaps did not. I assume he was looking at the Abbey Road album cover, and the idea that McCartney was, or perhaps was not dead...ergo, McCartney comes to the Demons. Obvious, really.

OMG, how the hell did you guess?

• Like 1

this is the most likely scenario, i before team.... the result of a clubs culture, which has spent 50 odd years at or near the bottom.

its a hard dusty road to try to break it up & renew it.

I rate Macca as a development coach, but sounds like what Neeld tried to do with us.

Yeah, we actually need to see it on the ground, otherwise it's all for nought. We're still the same shitty Melbourne Football Club until we start winning again and then all of a sudden opposition supporters will gripe about all the draft picks we've been handed. See it coming a mile away. :P Couldn't care less though. I'd welcome being disliked again, not pitied.

Coaches have to adapt. That's what makes a good coach. That's what makes a successful teacher. One of my best mates works at Hawthorn, says Clarkson is an absolute hardarse. Well, we've all witnessed that from the stands really, but it goes to show there are some that can make it work. Maybe Clarkson has the balance right?

Yep, they did.

Clarkson has developed leaders like Hodge and Mitchell, who reinforce what he coach says and take feedback on board.

If Clarkson said what McCartney did to a player, and then Hodge heard a player whinging about it, he'd tell the player to pull their head in and that coach is telling them that for a reason, "we're here to get better and win premierships" sorta thing.

Cooney, Griffen, Murphy et al, instead were the ones leading the charge in having a sook.

That's where your problem is. They shouldn't have been in leadership positions in the first place, or they should have had better training to be leaders in the past. It's a cultural thing.

I'm confident Jones, Grimes and others won't make the same mistakes.

• Like 4