WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN NEWTON

Moneider96

Who the hell would take a punt on Trengove knowing he'll miss at least the entire 2015 season? Fanciful.

Geelong? They've had Menzel, McIntosh, Vardy and Cowan on their list for years. They call Cowan MH370 because he's always missing.

• Like 1

Who the hell would take a punt on Trengove knowing he'll miss at least the entire 2015 season? Fanciful.

West Coast took Jamie Bennell after he had a knee reco with us and missed majority of the next year

Played the last 3 games in the WAFL reserves that year

Article from the middle of this year worth the read.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/forgotten-man-ben-newton-ready-to-step-up-for-power/story-fnia6ojc-12269037

"Now he has described the pick as “a real feather in the cap for Parks (recruiting manager Geoff Parker)’’.

While the jury remains out on Newton — the football world still needs to see what he can do at AFL level — Rohde is convinced Parker has nailed the selection and that the Power has drafted another high-quality midfielder to add to its already deep on-ball brigade.

“I’ve got to say there might have been a few doubts along the way but he (Parker) has turned out to be right,’’ Rohde said."

Anyone that thinks we will de-list a contracted Trengove to rookie him and that managers and players will not look at us with disdain are kidding themselves. He is injured, we have him under contract, the club need to suck it up just like he his. If anything I would be looking to give him the security of another year but renegotiate both years at a much lesser rate than current.

The issue as others have raised is why we rushed to contract Terlich mid season when he wasn't getting a game. Barry I can understand as a young and developing player. Also the previous errors of having Evans and McKenzie still in contract.

• Like 6

If this report on Newton is correct, we will have to delist and promise to rookie one player to use ND40.

Using ND53 is something that the club will be weighing up now, as the argument can be made (as GRRM just showed) for taking that speculative player at RD2 instead of ND53.

You may still get one of the players you were targeting and you are not burdened by an automatic two year contract.

I think they will delist and rookie Evans or Trengove, and Tapscott will be forgotten about and they will have the one live selection at RD2.

If they make the strategic decision to honour all contracts then ND40 will not be used and Tapscott will be rookied.

But, again, if the Newton report is correct.

Anyone that thinks we will de-list a contracted Trengove to rookie him and that managers and players will not look at us with disdain are kidding themselves. He is injured, we have him under contract, the club need to suck it up just like he his. If anything I would be looking to give him the security of another year but renegotiate both years at a much lesser rate than current.

Disagree. He is a professional.He knows he will probably not play this year. Possibly not again. He has a substantial contract. We will honour it as we did this year.. Where does it say we have to keep him on the senior list to show loyalty. If we rookie him and pay his contract we show loyalty. We take the pressure off him as well. If he recovers, we upgrade him and new contract. End of story.

We are supposed to be a professional football club. A professional club would IMO act as I have outlined. I am pretty sure JT would agree. We are not a creche.

How is doing what I said disadvantageous to JT, or the club? He will have our full support during rehab, without the burden of expectation.

At the same time another player will be given a chance to have an AFL career.

• Like 2

Disagree. He is a professional.He knows he will probably not play this year. Possibly not again. He has a substantial contract. We will honour it as we did this year.. Where does it say we have to keep him on the senior list to show loyalty. If we rookie him and pay his contract we show loyalty. We take the pressure off him as well. If he recovers, we upgrade him and new contract. End of story.

We are supposed to be a professional football club. A professional club would IMO act as I have outlined. I am pretty sure JT would agree. We are not a creche.

How is doing what I said disadvantageous to JT, or the club? He will have our full support during rehab, without the burden of expectation.

I'd personally do the opposite. I'd place 2 of Evans, McKenzie or Hunt (just because he is a thinner frame and doesn't appear to be nearing afl game time) on the rookie list and place JT on the long term injury list. That way, all rookie list players know that while JT is injured, there is a spot on the list to play for. Hopefully achieve another Jetta break though.

You would think that our intentions will be announced shortly and will have been well considered.

Will be interesting to see what path we take. I really think we need to get 40 and 53 at this draft, forget the PSD it is redundant.

Edited by jabberwocky

I'd personally do the opposite. I'd place 2 of Evans, McKenzie or Hunt (just because he is a thinner frame and doesn't appear to be nearing afl game time) on the rookie list and place JT on the long term injury list. That way, all rookie list players know that while JT is injured, there is a spot on the list to play for. Hopefully achieve another Jetta break though.

If I was McKenzie I'd want to be delisted with a promise of a rookie list spot, subject of course to what has been said during trade week. He's got a problematic future at MFC which is compromised further if Newton is picked up and only one year on his contract. His manager could actively shop him around to see if there was any interest and if there was he may well land a better than one year deal.

If he goes through to the rookie list with us he's got one year at the same pay and a spot in the seniors with Trengove's injury. It's hard to see a downside for Jordie.

Personally I'd pay Evans out and I wouldn't rule out Trengove to the rookie list but if McKenzie and Evans were sorted Trenners could just sit on the PL. Before putting Trenners on the rookie list I'd want to be sure Adelaide and PA didn't have a pick between 53 and R2. There is a possibility they'd take him.

Edit: Jabba please don't respond. I want a nice weekend without being stalked.

• Like 1

Christ, for a minute here I had Ben mixed up with Juice and was in shock we had blown 4 pages of precious internet space

This to me is not about loyalty but acting in the best interests of your players. A professional club would honour the contract of a player who could do nothing this year or next year to control the security of his future. I expect JT would sacrifice some $ for the security of another year of contract. This would put him in the best mental space to attack his rehabilitation. I don't see whether he is listed senior or rookie adding any burden of expectation. All I see is downside to create a spot for a speculative pick. This is before you get to the risk that someone actually picks him up on a renegotiated contract and back him to return the following year.

• Like 1

This to me is not about loyalty but acting in the best interests of your players. A professional club would honour the contract of a player who could do nothing this year or next year to control the security of his future. I expect JT would sacrifice some $ for the security of another year of contract. This would put him in the best mental space to attack his rehabilitation. I don't see whether he is listed senior or rookie adding any burden of expectation. All I see is downside to create a spot for a speculative pick. This is before you get to the risk that someone actually picks him up on a renegotiated contract and back him to return the following year.

I think the risk of another club taking Trengove is beyond negligible.

Beyond that, there nothing against the best interests of his future.

He'll earn the same money, have the same access to facilities and have the same coaches.

It will only affect his ability to play for MFC in 2015, which his injury has already put paid to.

So what's the issue?

• Like 1

Seriously just delist Evans and pay him out. Forget about rookie him at all he is behind about 8 midfielders on our list.

Id rather take a developing key forward or quick mid in the rookie draft then clog it up with Evans.

• Like 5

Seriously just delist Evans and pay him out. Forget about rookie him at all he is behind about 8 midfielders on our list.

Id rather take a developing key forward or quick mid in the rookie draft then clog it up with Evans.

This attitude is completely unprofessional, would have players like Newton actively avoiding our club (not to mention managers), and thankfully would never happen under the current administration.

• Like 2

$ for the security of another year of contract.

I think it would be a serious mistake to put Trenners on an extended contract (subject to advice from his surgeon). It just limits your options come 2016. Honour the contract, look to the rookie list if you need to and then go forward.

I think the risk of another club taking Trengove is beyond negligible.

Beyond that, there nothing against the best interests of his future.

He'll earn the same money, have the same access to facilities and have the same coaches.

It will only affect his ability to play for MFC in 2015, which his injury has already put paid to.

So what's the issue?

And the reality is that he will be on the LTI for 2015 anyway so in practical terms it will make no difference. I'd say it's a certainty.

And I agree with BB that extending his contract would be a strange move in the circumstances.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 1

This article would suggest Ben is fairly advanced in discussions with a particular club. One would assume, if you believe Peter Ryan who is a Melbourne man, that the club is us.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/dumped-port-adelaide-midfielder-ben-newton-hopes-to-find-a-new-afl-home-before-the-national-draft/story-fnia6ojc-1227108439819

Edited by Tough Kent

It makes no sense to put JT on the rookie list, we risk potentially loosing him for what purpose. If he goes on the LTI list then we can promote one of our rookies, if he goes on the rookie list then we have to nominate who will replace him, so instead of having possibly 4 rookies to choose from by the start of the year will will have chosen someone in a months time. Makes no sense to me..

• Like 2

This attitude is completely unprofessional, would have players like Newton actively avoiding our club (not to mention managers), and thankfully would never happen under the current administration.

We have done far worse with our list management then this Machsy. Yet we are still able to bring in players from other clubs.

The club needs to make a decision on his future very soon. His second half of the year at Casey was quite poor. Thats before injury too.

He is already behind Jones×2 Tyson Viney Cross Vince Toumpas Salem Michie Riley Mckenzie and possibly Newton and pick 2 (Brayshaw)

I would even go further and say even Harmes showed alot more this year then Evans.

This is the reality.. Seriously what is the point in keeping him on the list.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

Personally if it was ND40 vs Terlich I'd take ND40. The fact that re-signing Terich may mean that we're not able to use ND40 annoys me.

Terlich was not the only player re signed this year. Not really sure how you can justify singling him out as the one player that cost the use of pick 40