• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What would you pay

Curry & Beer

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If someone asked me what Jones cost - I would want quite a bit...

The thing that the club has to remember is that Dangerfield is FA after his next contract. If he is convinced that he will go home, and Adelaide knows it - they should trade him now.

They will get Pick 12ish for him next year.

If they were to get a Top 3 pick and another good player (Toumpas, Trengove, et al) that is a good deal.

In fact, Pick 3 for Danger Mouse is a good deal for Adelaide.

• Like 3

The issue isn't about Adelaide accepting the offer as much as Dangerfield accepting the offer. If he wants to come, and Adelaide know next year the compensation is going to be a lot poorer through free agency, they will know that we have the best picks to offer this year.

I like Toumpas and think he could be a player, but Toumpas and pick 3 for Dangerfield would be a win for both clubs. Neither club can feel like they are being shafted in this trade if it were to occur.

to make this happen MFC need to have a fantastic offer to secure his financial future on the table and PJ and Roos need to convince him we can play finals sooner rather than later, which if you add Dangerfield and Hogan to our side I think we would be significantly better next year and be able to build from there

The thing that the club has to remember is that Dangerfield is FA after his next contract. If he is convinced that he will go home, and Adelaide knows it - they should trade him now.

If they were to get a Top 3 pick and another good player (Toumpas, Trengove, et al) that is a good deal.

Spot on...

• Like 1

We need Bernie Vince to get in Danger's ear about what a great move it would be. Plus being financially set up for life, back home in Victoria, playing under a proven coach in Roos.

... for the worst performing club in the last 8 yrs that survives because of AFL handouts???

... for the worst performing club in the last 8 yrs that survives because of AFL handouts???

we should give up now then I guess.

close the door on the way out :D

Edit: And this was my 1000th post, apologies all, not my best effort!

Edited by Ouch!

I really think there is something to it as far as selling it,. we have shown improvement this year, Dangerfield could move home, secure his financial future, and lead the oldest club in the comp back up the ladder while playing under Paul Roos, and we have a great capacity to get a deal done with minimal fuss

I really think there is something to it as far as selling it,. we have shown improvement this year, Dangerfield could move home, secure his financial future, and lead the oldest club in the comp back up the ladder while playing under Paul Roos, and we have a great capacity to get a deal done with minimal fuss

Hope you are correct. It would appear that Roos is good at this type of deal.

Considering Dangerfield has never won a B&F and has only come 2nd once, I can't help but feel that people are overrating him as a potential saviour. Sure, his best games are elite, but he has a lot of average games as well. I'd much rather end up with two decent young midfielders through trades or the draft, than throw the farm at a single player.

• Like 5

Chris Judd + pick 56(?) was traded for picks 3+20+ Josh Kennedy (former pick 5)

That trade was pretty much a win-win, using it as a baseline I would think:

Frawley compo (p3) + our 2nd round (~23ish) + Toumpas = Dangerfield + pick 9

Dangerfield is a bit older than Judd was and he hasn't done the same feats as Judd had, hence we get their 1st rounder back rather than a 2nd/3rd.

Pick 2 for Luke Parker , offer him 4 years at 4 mil

Pick 3 for Dayne Beams, offer him 4 years at 4 mil

We need to offer overs for the enticement factor. Front load contracts.....can't see where 92.5% can honestly be going.

Mitchell worries me as he hasn't done anything to show how good he is? well, that i've seen anyway. I take it you mean mitchell of sydney? why are people talking of him interms of a 1st Rndr

Yeah, I just meant players of his ilk and age bracket. He's probably not worth a first rounder though, you're right.

For DM, I'd happily part with pick 2 and a player. Pick 3 and a player would be better yet, but I somehow doubt that would fly unless it was one of our few good players. Maybe they could do pick 2 and Tappy for DM? I doubt that would fly. Part of the problem is that the Crows don't really have a glaring hole in their list. They could maybe use another key defender, but other than that it's pretty much a case of improving the list, and we don't have much to offer in that area.

Pick 2 for Luke Parker , offer him 4 years at 4 mil

Pick 3 for Dayne Beams, offer him 4 years at 4 mil

We need to offer overs for the enticement factor. Front load contracts.....can't see where 92.5% can honestly be going.

We won't have 2 million a year to play around with...

These days the minimum is 95%. Next year the 5% will be equivalent to a touch over $500,000. Mitch Clark was somewhere between 600k-700k, Frawley was not in the top 25% highest paid players at the club, probably somewhere in the 250k-300k range (his contract was massively front-ended). Assuming no stupid deals were done to keep them the rest of the delistees/ retirees/ trades will be somewhere between 125k-200k (the minimum you can pay a player who has played for more than 2 years is about $80,000 + $3,500 per game).

Hogan, Mcdonald, Dunn, Kent(??) and Jetta all re-signed/ extended their contracts - based on their seasons/ ages/ talents I'd assume they all got pay rises, with Hogan reportedly being paid up to 450k-500k (incl match payments). Hard to say what sort of pay rises the others got, but Mcdonalds would have been decent.

Draftees are guaranteed a base payment in their 1st 2 years, and match payments + bonuses on top of that. Players taken in the 2014 ND will be one 60-70k + $3,500 per game + a bonus up to $10,000 based on the number of games they play. In their 2nd year the amount they earn is based on the amount of games they played in the previous year (& where they were taken in the draft).

For example JKH played 14 games as a 3rd round draftee - in 2015 he will earn $75k + $5k per game. Salem as a first round draftee who played 12 games will earn $87k + $5k per game. Jayden Hunt as a 3rd round (and over) draftee who played 0 games will earn $63,000 + $3,750 per game.

Would think we'd have a bit of cash to throw around at the end of this season ($500k (5% left in the cap) + $650k (Clark) + $300k (Frawley) + ((Byrnes, Blease, Nicholson, Clisby, Strauss, Tapscott) * $125k) = $2.2mil approx.

Less Hogan, Dunn, Mcdonald (Kent?) and Jetta's pay rises - probably in the range of $600k combined leaves $1.6m less an average of $75k per draftee, assuming we take 3-4 (incl stretch) that's around $300k, leaving 1.3m to throw at opposition players (assuming we pay the full cap, $800k or so if we don't).

Edit - http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CBA-2012-2016-FINAL.pdf

Edited by Beats

Beats - if the contracts are front loaded for other players as well - that will, in itself, decrease the overall wages.

It's very difficult to think this through.

That's true, without being on the inside we'll never know.

Without knowing the strategy of the list management department I’d speculate that there wouldn’t have been too many front loaded contracts this year. Ideally the MC payout + payouts for other contracted players (Nicholson and possibly others) would fall under this years cap - no point frontloading a contract for this year and paying someone who isn’t on the list next year.

Due to the minimum spend level it would, imo, be extremely poor management to have $2mil (20% of the salary cap) floating around at the end of the year (without having a guaranteed target to spend it on).

I just look at some of the other clubs lists and how many quality names are on it then look at our list. There must be a number of players getting seriously overpaid. Don't target both but at least one, all the talk is about Dangerfield I would rather Parker.

Does anyone know if Brad Crouch re-signed with the Crows? Or did he sign a three year deal with them?

EDIT. I'd be going after him.

Me too, but I think the reason Danger becomes gettable is his FA status in 2016. Crouch is a way off that and would be harder to break free particularly with his brother also at Adelaide.

Yes, they should take what they can get. He is coming home.

Dangerfield for Jones

That is the most ridiculous comment I have ever seen on here!

Me too, but I think the reason Danger becomes gettable is his FA status in 2016. Crouch is a way off that and would be harder to break free particularly with his brother also at Adelaide.

Absolutely. That is the main stumbling block to this dream, IMO. Still, if Crouch was offered over a mill a season, his brother may say, take it.

Can anyone think of a club with enough cash in the cap to get Dangerfield?

Maybe only us and Dogs.