Where are they now? Alistair Nicholson

jabberwocky

Alistair Nicholson appointed ACA CEO

"Speaking about his appointment, Alistair Nicholson said, "I'm honoured and humbled to be given the opportunity to represent the ACA members. I am passionate about the range of issues facing players and motivated by the desire to ensure access to world leading services, including supporting players to prepare themselves for their post sporting life."

• Like 1

Was probably one of the worst footballers ever to represent the club , so it's pleasing to see that he found his place in life

Gee that's a hard comment. I can think of many worse players - ones who never played seniors for a start.

Very underrated footballer who polarized opinion a little like Watts. If you were a fan there was plenty to like and if you weren't there was plenty to dislike.

I'm the opposite to you Joeboy, thought he got the most out of himself and played many good games.

• Like 13

Gee that's a hard comment. I can think of many worse players - ones who never played seniors for a start.

Very underrated footballer who polarized opinion a little like Watts. If you were a fan there was plenty to like and if you weren't there was plenty to dislike.

I'm the opposite to you Joeboy, thought he got the most out of himself and played many good games.

Agree Bob.

Pick 22 in the 1996 draft he went onto craft over 100 games with the club over nearly 8-9 years.

Its laughable someone has called him the worst footballer ever to represent the club when pick 11 that year was everyones whipping boy Brett Grgic!!

And if there was a bang for buck about the worst then we blew pick 12 in 2010 on Lucas Cook and he struggled at VFL level without ever looking like getting an AFL game with arguably one of the worst sides MFC has fielded in his history

He was a shocker. He had no idea. I remember him being in goal squate defending one on one with an opposite tall who turned him inside out. He had a bigger turning circle than the Queen Mary. He played hockey till he was 18 - should have stuck 2 it - he was a spud of the highest order.

He might not have been the classical footballer and every once in a while was guilty of committing the most frustrating and shocking error that would cost us a goal and he often looked clumsy but he always gave an honest effort on the football field. On that score he's ahead of many modern day players and we all know who they are.

Congratulations ~ its a tough gig you've got there and I'm sure you'll dedicate yourself to it 100%.

• Like 6

Just started getting decent and did his ACL did he not? Plenty cheering him off on the stretcher, some legitimately, some in jest.

He also had a crack but I thought he was too much of a Daniher favourite. Would've prefered others given more of a run and then if they failed to go back to old faithful Nicho.

Was probably one of the worst footballers ever to represent the club , so it's pleasing to see that he found his place in life

Standard Joeboy Hypebole

I'm NEVER one to exaggerate or overstep the mark!

Ok, ok , maybe I did treat him too harshly in my grading ( or is that degrading) of him , but he was a useless footballer and only Bode, Weetra, Mahoney, and Grgic have been worse, in my memory.

And before anyone gets stuck into me for my callous criticism of him , let me point out that I've been a Demons' fan and member for 49 years, and seen more crappy Melbourne players than I care to remember.

Furthermore, up until a few years ago I'd even argue that I've seen more Melbourne games than virtually anyone here, so I'm entitled to make ludicrous judgement calls as I see fit!

• Like 2

I see his predecessor as CEO is about to head up the AFL Players' Association famously once held by Vlad himself . Hopefully Al might follow the same path and be sympathetic to a Dees Priority Pick in 2024 .

You are on the money BB.

Always amuses me how keyboard heroes have the audacity to pay out on guys who have reached the pinnacle of our game by making an AFL list.

Nicho played over 100 games including many servicable efforts on gorilla forwards plus he relieved in the ruck effectively.

Always gave of his best.

Edited by gsmith12
  • Like 1

A key part of the unheralded, unfashionable but effective Melbourne backline that helped take us to a Grand Final in 2000. He was a pretty enormous human being as a key defender so I always expected uncoordination, but I think he had a couple of really good years there down back. Started off really raw and developed into a competent AFL player.

• Like 3

I'm NEVER one to exaggerate or overstep the mark!

Ok, ok , maybe I did treat him too harshly in my grading ( or is that degrading) of him , but he was a useless footballer and only Bode, Weetra, Mahoney, and Grgic have been worse, in my memory.

And before anyone gets stuck into me for my callous criticism of him , let me point out that I've been a Demons' fan and member for 49 years, and seen more crappy Melbourne players than I care to remember.

Furthermore, up until a few years ago I'd even argue that I've seen more Melbourne games than virtually anyone here, so I'm entitled to make ludicrous judgement calls as I see fit!

A dumb call is still a dumb call.

Don't care how much time to ride horses, you still can't call them cows.

You are on the money BB.

Always amuses me how keyboard heroes have the audacity to pay out on guys who have reached the pinnacle of our game by making an AFL list.

Nicho played over 100 games including many servicable efforts on gorilla forwards plus he relieved in the ruck effectively.

Always gave of his best.

Lol.. so because I didn't play top level AFL football I'm not entitled to have my opinion about crappy footballers?

Give me a break!!!

And just so you know, I WAS once considered a good enough junior footballer to be asked to do a pre season with Stkilda

Edited by joeboy

Do you remember a full back named Paul Rowland ?

Peter Hudson murdered this blond haired kid every single time. Paul played some good games but for some inexpiable reason made silly mistakes that cost us goals.

Similar abilities to Alistair Nicholson and Matty Warnock whereby you felt very nervous when he had the ball.

Lol.. so because I didn't play top level AFL football I'm not entitled to have my opinion about crappy footballers?

Give me a break!!!

And just so you know, I WAS once considered a good enough junior footballer to be asked to do a pre season with Stkilda

Of course you are entitled to an opinion, my point is that any player who makes an AFL list cannot be judged as a failure therefor does not deserve to be disrespected for that achievement.

Congrats on your junior career. :o

You should probably keep your posts to a three word maximum.

Better that way.

• Like 1