EARLY DRAFT PICKS

Bobby McKenzie

We talk a lot of the importance of obtaining very early picks in the yearly draft. Watching Freo in action today I had a look at their fantastic midfielders and what number in the draft they were chosen,

David Mundy- pick number 19 in 2003. We picked Sylvia at 3 and McLean at 5.

Chris Maine- pick number 40 in 2007. We chose Cale Morton at number 4.

Nathan Fyfe- pick number 20 in 2009. We went for $cully at 1 and Trengove at number 2. Wouldn't we love to have Fyfe in the red and the blue?

Michael Barlow- pick number 8 in the 2010 ROOKIE draft would you believe?

Michael Walters- pick number 53 . We chose Jack Watts at number 1.

So is it pure luck how players turn out or is it good management? I would suggest a combination of both. What do you all think?

• Like 1

It just goes to show that player development is critical and crucial, they don't have to hit the nail on the head in their first year, or even say their first three years, but they'll grow to be elite footballers like you've mentioned, while the above mentioned players aren't all elite, they'd be strong A grade players.

Most players in their first few years will show little glimpses of what they're capable of doing, they'll do it more consistently, then grow, and develop, into sole leaders and a huge part in the team. While luck is involved in what players you get, it's more about their development, high draft picks such as Morton, Scully, Sylvia, etc, all turned out to be duds, who knows what they would have become if they were managed properly at another club. If a player is in an unenjoyable environment, getting treated like crap by the coaching staff (be hard on the players for them to become good by all means, just don't treat them [censored]), getting into bad habits wether it's footy related or outside-footy related, are all contributions to weaken a players development.

Whilst it's true that there have been some great examples of players carving out great careers after being picked late in the draft and even after being initially overlooked the stats still indicate that if you use your early draft picks wisely then you are likely to produce top players. It seems that some supporters of the club have developed a defeatist attitude with regard to the way they view early draft picks and some are suggesting that despite our consistently abysmal record with high draft picks, some are suggesting we shouldn't even try to get draft assistance at the end of the season. I disagree strongly.

I posted this today on Facebook.

As long as the rule about draft assistance exists, it would be remiss of the club's board not to apply for it because we definitely qualify. I am confident the current people in charge of our recruiting are infinitely more capable than what we had in place a few years ago and the same can be said about the people in charge of our player development. We shouldn't however think that the draft picks alone will do the trick. It's hard work, patience and the ability to ride the tough times.

• Like 3

The 'odds' of a player developing into a 100+ or 200+ game player slip a bit with each round. But that is often mistaken to mean that the later round players are an inherently lower standard.

We will probably get a couple of good players this draft from picks taken in the fourth round and later. Just by sheer random chance, there'll be so many selections made.

I don't think you need priority picks to be top 5 or anything.

It's just about getting more bites at the cherry - more chances to make a sound decision.

But obviously the state of the club you bring them into makes a sizeable difference.

It just goes to show that player development is critical and crucial,

Its more than than critical and crucial

It is all that matters

Draft pick number is irrelevant

Unfortunately the MFC is literally the only club that doesnt realize that

I think some of the best players of this draft will go between picks 10-25

Duggan, Ahern, Lamb and Goddard are all blokes who can seriously play

I don't see anyone besides Petracca and McCartin as any better than those 4, seems a very even draft

• Like 2

no matter who we draft we still need to address how we go about developing them, the casey environment the way it is does not really seem conducive to the best development of our younger players, how do we fix that?

I think the best development model I have seen is the stand alone reserves team and a decent coach in charge of that side, we probably don't have the money for that though

if the players played the same role in the firsts as the seconds in the same game plan and consistant messages I think that would be great, Stone and Roos are both well regarded as development coaches so I think the kids will be in good hands

I think the best development model I have seen is the stand alone reserves team and a decent coach in charge of that side, we probably don't have the money for that though

if the players played the same role in the firsts as the seconds in the same game plan and consistant messages I think that would be great, Stone and Roos are both well regarded as development coaches so I think the kids will be in good hands

Hawthorn are not stand alone, but have the relationship well under control.

The Swans don't have a great model having to play in a substandard competition.

...but I agree that something needs to be done with Casey. Either put money in or move on.

Hawthorn are not stand alone, but have the relationship well under control.

The Swans don't have a great model having to play in a substandard competition.

...but I agree that something needs to be done with Casey. Either put money in or move on.

Theyre not the Box Hill 'stangers... Its Hawthorn by stealth

I think some of the best players of this draft will go between picks 10-25

Duggan, Ahern, Lamb and Goddard are all blokes who can seriously play

I don't see anyone besides Petracca and McCartin as any better than those 4, seems a very even draft

Agree. Duggan and Ahern are top 5 in my opinion.

Petrecca, McCartin and Wight as top 3. MFC SHOULD GET ALL FIVE.

Draft picks move depending on ladder position and also can be adjusted by AFL with their reward for Free Agent player movements.

Plus some clubs will only want the minimum four picks (less with rookie upgrades) so later order pick numbers alter quite dramatically.

Assuming we finish second bottom, the order as it stands is:

Pick 2, 21, 39, 57, 75, 93 etc.

If Chip goes the expectation is that his age and prospective salary will mean we also snare pick No.3

But if we were able to recruit Nick Malceski as a FA, then pick 3 might be diluted to an end of first rounder.

So selections are still a movable feast.