• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WATTS, SHORT CIRCUITING OR NOT?

picket fence

I see no value in dropping watts for this weeks game. His worst is still better than many of those that we would substitute for him. What he lacks is not the skill to execute but the desire and attitude. This is something that he needs to find and hopefully Roos or one of the other coaches or team members can help him find it. I would firstly suggest a little bit of mixed boxing and wrestling, get together as much footage together of him in play or in the frame and have him analyze his own actions, what he did right what could he have done better to have an impact etc... and see if he can find the desire and attitude to put in for himself and his team mates.

That's a ridiculous argument. Send him back and tell him the things he needs to focus on are the physical aspects, tackles, contested possessions, contested marks, shepherds etc not just racking up cheap possessions.

Might be ridiculous, but this player is too good for Casey.

I don't know what to say anymore, but I hope he comes good.

Remember, not six months ago, this player's signature was a litmus test for this Club.

• Like 1

I see no value in dropping watts for this weeks game. His worst is still better than many of those that we would substitute for him. What he lacks is not the skill to execute but the desire and attitude. This is something that he needs to find and hopefully Roos or one of the other coaches or team members can help him find it. I would firstly suggest a little bit of mixed boxing and wrestling, get together as much footage together of him in play or in the frame and have him analyze his own actions, what he did right what could he have done better to have an impact etc... and see if he can find the desire and attitude to put in for himself and his team mates.

I concur with your strategies except for the rassling!! ;)

Good idea to ask him to unpack his performance.

Whew! First day back at work after holidays and this is the first chance I've had to jump on my favourite forum!

Edited by jumbo returns
  • Like 1

That example was a killer - he either had no idea what to do (and I think we all agree that he's too smart for that to be the case) or wasn't switched on (possible - he may not be a natural footballer - a natural ball player and basketball player, yes, but not a natural footballer), or he's lazy and thought "stuff it".

I actually think he's not a natural contested game player - so used to dominating in everything at under age level, that the need to compete and chase as if your life depended on it hasn't sunk in. I wonder what his reaction will be when that part of the tape is reviewed ?

This is moving to the "acceptance" stage of bereavement - I think most of us (even those who've stuck up for him) are sadly coming to the know that the truth is - he's just not up to it...

Frankie, Watts was renowned as a strong pack marking player & goal kicker, match winner in the Nab U-18's. he didn't seem to be scared at that level. this is one reason why he should not have been played in Q/B game when he wasn't ready.

He needed to develop at lower levels until he was ready to take the senior game on, with strength... the greed of our marketing damaged him for sure, but that cannot be used as an excuse now.

Watts has to decide what it is that he's willing to do, to resurrect his standing in the game, & if he wants to make something of himself, in this game we all love.

its time for him to think deep, like a man. to be responsible for himself & his lack of action on the field.

This is Watts personal Line In the Sand moment...

I remember, as most of us do, when JW debuted against the filth in his first year. Clearly, he was thrown to the wolves. As to whether he should have been or not, remains a matter of debate. After that game, a number of mates of mine observed that they could tell even then he just did not have what it takes for a number 1 draft pick. I retorted by saying, wait for another 3 years, then you will be laughing on the other side of your face.

I, like most of us, am still waiting. Why didn't I just keep my mouth shut?

as a 16 year old I was just like jack is now, after working on building sites and have half a dozen burly grown men holding you up horizontal and about to strip & nugget you, its do or die.

A quick & decent punch to the face of the leader soon, stopped them.... days later the hard hat inner band was smeared in Moli grease... a thorough washing of the hair in the Main site office soon alerted managers of the shenanigans.

they didn't try it on again on that site.

after a few more years I learned to not take any schitt from anyone.

there is still time for jack to lose his passive approach on the footy field. but he has to want to do it, & needs helpful guidance & support from those who want him to make the change, to Harden Up as an Aussie Rules Footballer. he can remain a passive person off field.

l

possibly and if he is i would understand

but as others have pointed out there were a lot of other players who didn't meet the coaches "non-negotiables"

i don't think roosy will make wholesale changes

so some players will be unlucky and some will be lucky

it's also true that we don't have a long list beating down the door for selection

Garland Jamar, Clisby,

I have hesitated posting anything about JW as i wanted to cool down a bit. On Sunday night i thought he needed to be dropped.

Now that i have calmed down a bit, i think he needs to be dropped.

I have never seen JW through rose colored glasses and from the beginning have agreed he needs to improve his physicality. That said I have been a great supporter of Wattsy and have defended him many times on Demonland. I expected the penny to drop last year when moved to the half back flank and again thought Roosy might find the key to getting him going. Perhaps he still will but i have to admit the signs are very bad.

Watts was hopeless against the Eagles and i posted then i thought he was on thin ice. I only listed to the GWS game on the radio so not really sure how he went in that game. But he was truly woeful on the weekend. Other posters have given enough of examples of why but the one that resonates is Dawes running straight past him in the center of the ground to try (unsuccessfully) and get to a man on the wing. This was Watt's lack of effort and letting his team mates down writ large for all to see. And i'm sure Dawes was making a point by gusting a gut for what was a lost cause (though not for Watts if he had gone hard and early) and i'm equally sure his anger in the post match interview with Burgs was at least in part related to Watts lack of effort throughout the game.

Jeez the Leading Teams model must cause Watts nightmares as surely his team mates will let him know their thoughts.

There was another example and one that i don't think has been noted thus far. On the half forward flank at the city end (where i was sitting) Ablett had the ball and was running towards goal at right angles to where Watts was (JW was about 15 metres away and on the move). Watts had the perfect opportunity to absolutely pole axe Ablett and force a turnover. He wouldn't have been at any risk of getting hurt as he would have completely blind sided him. Instead he ran to Ablett at half pace, made a weak attempt at tacking which Ablett brushed off and pumped the ball into the goal mouth. My son, who is 11 nailed it later in the day when on another occasion he failed to commit to a tackle he said 'he is so hesitant'.

I hate bagging players at the footy and rarely do it. I couldn't help yelling in frustration at him a couple of times. One such time was just after half time when i implored him to change the direction of the match and win it for us, as nothing short of that would have lessened my frustration with him. To be fair he improved his intensity and laid an excellent tackle at the Punt road half back flank on the kid with the white mop. But really too little to late.

With Roos having so publicly made clear what his non negotiable are (the basic footy stuff) he has left Roos with little option but to drop him and i expect that is what he will do. Surely if he doesn't it will because Roos has given him an ultimatum and one last chance to turn things around.If he is dropped it will be for quite a long time i reckon and you have to wonder if he has the bottle to force his way back. So depressing.

One more thing. I'm not being trite but comparing Watts to Trav is an insult to TrJ. Yes they both look alittle casual, yes both have sublime skills, yes trav wasn't overly physical but i rarely if ever questioned TJ's courage or commitment

A solitary one on one with the coach after the rest of the team left the coaches room, isn't to say he's dropped next week. Its much more than that. & when the player gets his mum & his bag & leaves straight away is more than your dropped from next weeks side.

After Monday or Tuesday training, seeing who's available for the following match, you tell a player he's out, not one on one in private after the game.

... Its more like 'go away & think about what you want to do'.

You wish.

More a case of reductio ad absurdum.

exactly what I'm saying Mandee, never leave the simple, before making it more difficult for others.

You make the easy so hard. thats why Wattsy is so poor. he thinks too much, instead of reacting to the game & just getting heavily involved.

thinking makes him pull back.

Ive had a look at the replay after being at the game and viewed the majority of Wattsys 'incidents' with an open mind. He is a different player and is always trying to outhink the opposition and also keeps the umpire in mind when trying to create. Rather than take posession cop a tackle to draw a player he will try and beat his man/draw a free kick and on the weekend on a bad day and probably did short circiut as mentioned in the title of this thread.

I think he cops a lot of criticicsim because people cant see what he is thinking and attempting, not the average Jack.

Roosy will work with him on this Im sure. He is not soft. He tackles hard when he has to go ( who can tackle ablett? ) the thought process, he sees opportunity where others are on auto pilot. Hardly a reason to evict and banish.

He gets open so often but we dont kick it to him. And then we do use him put it up on his head for an easy spoil.He also presents and keeps presenting and should be used every time.

He needs to work on his game and fitness like any other player.

Jack on a bad day still seemed to have positive influence on the game . how often does a player win a one on one against him? It' s all about stopping Jack or Jack not winning contests isnt it?

• Like 3

Does anybody see a similarity with Watts' approach to the game a Travis Johnstone? Travis was one of the biggest disappointments in my time following the Dees. A sublime talent but laconic to the point of laziness and i doubt if he every laid an effective tackle.

As i said in a post yesterday:

'One more thing. I'm not being trite but comparing Watts to Trav is an insult to TJ. Yes they both look a little casual, yes both have sublime skills, yes trav wasn't overly physical but i rarely if ever questioned TJ's courage or commitment'

• Like 2

As i said in a post yesterday:

'One more thing. I'm not being trite but comparing Watts to Trav is an insult to TJ. Yes they both look a little casual, yes both have sublime skills, yes trav wasn't overly physical but i rarely if ever questioned TJ's courage or commitment'

The comparison is more that they are both highly talented players who haven't got the best out of themselves due to their mindset. But I agree, TJ could rip a game apart and did several times, Watts has never done that.

• Like 1

Ive had a look at the replay after being at the game and viewed the majority of Wattsys 'incidents' with an open mind. He is a different player and is always trying to outhink the opposition and also keeps the umpire in mind when trying to create. Rather than take posession cop a tackle to draw a player he will try and beat his man/draw a free kick and on the weekend on a bad day and probably did short circiut as mentioned in the title of this thread.

I think he cops a lot of criticicsim because people cant see what he is thinking and attempting, not the average Jack.

Roosy will work with him on this Im sure. He is not soft. He tackles hard when he has to go ( who can tackle ablett? ) the thought process, he sees opportunity where others are on auto pilot. Hardly a reason to evict and banish.

He gets open so often but we dont kick it to him. And then we do use him put it up on his head for an easy spoil.He also presents and keeps presenting and should be used every time.

He needs to work on his game and fitness like any other player.

Jack on a bad day still seemed to have positive influence on the game . how often does a player win a one on one against him? It' s all about stopping Jack or Jack not winning contests isnt it?

Like you, City Dee, I re watched the game last night,to closely observe Watts and all the lazy gutless play that posters have been whinging about on this thread. I didn't notice it when I was at the MCG on Sunday : I just thought he couldn't get into the game.

Watching the replay, I saw none of the laziness or lack of courage. I saw at least half a dozen clever, constructive acts.Obviously one would hope for more.

What I noticed is how unhurried he appears. I think this is why he's able to pinpoint passes so accurately. I think many fans mistake the way he doesn't rush, but tries to seek the best option ,as laziness or lack of effort.

I'd love to see him take a few contested marks, and I hope that'll come more and more in the future.

I agree with the poster above who likens him to TJ,who often had the advantage of being"corralled" by his team mates in order to give him more time to find the best option. I think Jack has more strings to his bow than Travis, and will end up a better all round player.

People sitting near me on Sunday would blame him every time he was involved in the play, but didn't win the ball.

I hope like Hell he's playing next Sat night.

Hang all this Latin

I have always had a lot of sympathy for Jack Watts. He is not built to play tough man on man footy against key defenders - and I thought that Roos' decision to develop him as a midfielder might be a turning point for him. He ran hard against St Kilda and won a lot of the ball.His body language was positive.

Since then he has had to spend a bit of time as a forward - and his apparent unwllingness/inability to apply pressure to the opposition seems to have returned - even when he is in the midfield. In many ways I found his lacklustre performance on Saturday one of the most disappointing aspects of the game. I just hope he was carrying an injury.

I agree with those posters who have said that they believe that Roos regards "Project Watts" as a special challenge. Whether or not he is dropped this week or named on the bench or named to start in the midfield will tell us how patient Roos is prepared to be.

wingardium leviosa ( levio-SAH levio-SAH)

This had me go to Google Translate. Oh the misspent adulthood. I have been Rowlinged.

"you can't judge a book by its cover". HOWEVER

I guess my biggest problem with Watts is that he doesn't look like he is trying hard enough.

We hate skill errors and bemoan a players lack of leg speed but we move on.

Lack of effort ( and I grant you that it may be perceived) burns badly.

• Like 1

This had me go to Google Translate. Oh the misspent adulthood. I have been Rowlinged.

We could use Hagrid at full forward and dobby could be that will-o-the-wisp forward pocket we are screaming out for.

Like you, City Dee, I re watched the game last night,to closely observe Watts and all the lazy gutless play that posters have been whinging about on this thread. I didn't notice it when I was at the MCG on Sunday : I just thought he couldn't get into the game.

Watching the replay, I saw none of the laziness or lack of courage. I saw at least half a dozen clever, constructive acts.Obviously one would hope for more.

What I noticed is how unhurried he appears. I think this is why he's able to pinpoint passes so accurately. I think many fans mistake the way he doesn't rush, but tries to seek the best option ,as laziness or lack of effort.

I'd love to see him take a few contested marks, and I hope that'll come more and more in the future.

I agree with the poster above who likens him to TJ,who often had the advantage of being"corralled" by his team mates in order to give him more time to find the best option. I think Jack has more strings to his bow than Travis, and will end up a better all round player.

People sitting near me on Sunday would blame him every time he was involved in the play, but didn't win the ball.

I hope like Hell he's playing next Sat night.

Great comparison with TJ , its a pleasure to watch Jack and in dark times he is one of the reasons I've looked foward to going to games.His kicking and movement through traffic are sublime.

He does need to be stronger in the marking contest. Maybe a bigger tank built after match fitness in his new role could help.I was miffed at the negative response in the Scully marking contest a few weeks ago. Scully tied him up in two armed tackle in that marking contest knowing full well he was done and Jack nearly marked it , definantly should have been a free kick.

Do people really think he is scared or telling himself Im not getting that ball because I might hurt myself?

I doubt he will be dropped.

We could use Hagrid at full forward and dobby could be that will-o-the-wisp forward pocket we are screaming out for.

I think the Big H has an unspecified back problem 426. Wouldn't mind drafting that Malfoy kid seems to have a fair bit of mongrel about him. Also heard Snape may be unrestricted free agent, he has real attitude. Then they may have to call us the Mighty Dementors.

• Like 1