FIFTY YEARS AGO

Whispering_Jack

Melbourne and Hawthorn had two close encounters during the 1964 home and away season and both were significant to the club's premiership aspirations. They first met at the MCG on 23 May and the Demons won narrowly in front of 53,798 fans.

Melbourne 3.3.21 5.9.39 9.11.65 10.13.73

Hawthorn 4.6.30 5.7.37 9.8.62 10.8.68

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Graeme Jacobs

HB: Tony Anderson Brian Roet Brian Leahy

C: Brian Dixon "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

HF: Bryan Kenneally Ray Groom Barrie Vagg

F: Ron Barassi Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Graham Wise Ken Emselle

19/20: Maurie Bartlett Herb Matthews

Goals Graeme Jacobs Barrie Vagg 3 Ron Barassi 2 Barry Bourke Bryan Kenneally

Best J Townsend Brian Roet Tas Johnson Ray Groom Ron Barassi Barrie Vagg

It was a battle of defences all day with Graeme Jacobs capping off a good day at the half way mark of the final term with his third goal of the day which turned out to be the sealer.

Melbourne really served it up to Footscray in their encounter on 30 May, 1964 before a crowd of 33,129 at the MCG turning a narrow half time lead into a seven goal victory.

Melbourne 2.3.15 4.5.29 9.14.68 12.14.86

Footscray 2.3.15 3.6.24 4.6.30 6.8.44

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bob "Tassie" Johnson Don Williams

F: Graeme Jacobs Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Graham Wise Ron Barassi Ken Emselle

19/20: John Lord David Robbie

Goals Barry Bourke 5 Ron Barassi 3 Ken Emselle 2 John Lord John Townsend

Best Brian Dixon Ray Groom Hassa Mann Ron Barassi Tassie Johnson Barry Bourke

Barry Bourke was a shortish full forward who fitted nicely into Norm Smith's game style and was on song with five goals while Ron Barassi was inspirational chipping in with three goals despite the fact that he was under an injury cloud. Brian Dixon controlled the wing.

Melbourne really served it up to Footscray in their encounter on 30 May, 1964 before a crowd of 33,129 at the MCG turning a narrow half time lead into a seven goal victory.

Melbourne 2.3.15 4.5.29 9.14.68 12.14.86

Footscray 2.3.15 3.6.24 4.6.30 6.8.44

THE TEAM

F: Graeme Jacobs Barry Bourke John Townsend

19/20: John Lord David Robbie

Goals Barry Bourke 5 Ron Barassi 3 Ken Emselle 2 John Lord John Townsend

Best Brian Dixon Ray Groom Hassa Mann Ron Barassi Tassie Johnson Barry Bourke

Barry Bourke was a shortish full forward who fitted nicely into Norm Smith's game style and was on song with five goals while Ron Barassi was inspirational chipping in with three goals despite the fact that he was under an injury cloud. Brian Dixon controlled the wing.

Is that the same Barry Bourke (#14?) who later played in the back pocket? Or is my memory completely askew?

sure is.

Late in his career, they moved Barry to the backline at a time when you needed taller forwards and we had a couple of good ones in Ross Dillon and Greg Parke (trouble was one of them was always injured).

I bought my eldest son his car in 1992 from Barry Bourke (a red Toyota Celica) and he's still driving it - that's how good his business is!!!

• Like 1

Do you remember the FF before Bourke.?

Alan Rowarth beautiful Left footer with very hairy legs.

I reckon he had the record for hitting the post the most of any FF.

Used to kick his customary 2 goals every week.

I love this nostalgia, mainly because I can't remember what happened yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

The Brunswick Street Oval was the scene of Melbourne's encounter with lowly Fitzroy on 6 June, the game attracting a meagre attendance of 12,727. The home team was thrashed although the Demons, coached by Ron Barassi in place of Norm Smith who was in Adelaide coaching the Victorian team, took the foot off the pedal in the final term allowing the Lions to gain some respectability on a dismal day.

Melbourne 3.6.24 4.10.3414.14.98 17.16.118

Fitzroy 1.2.8 2.4.16 2.4.16 7.9.51

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Bob Miller

HB: Don Williams Bob "Tassie" Johnson Brian Leahy

C: Brian Dixon Graeme Watson David Robbie

HF: Peter McLean Graeme Jacobs Barrie Vagg

F: John Lord Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Graham Wise Bryan Kenneally Ken Emselle

19/20: Bob Carroll Herb Matthews

Goals Ken Emselle Graeme Jacobs John Townsend 3 Bryan Kenneally John Lord 2 Barry Bourke Peter McLean Barrie Vagg

Best Brian Dixon Graeme Jacobs Ken Emselle David Robbie Tas Johnson John Townsend

This is the day I've always considered to be on of the most significant in the club's history. With Smith and the state representatives away and Barassi at the helm of a makeshift side, the Demons ran rampant in the third quarter scoring 10.4 to nothing in a brilliant display that would most certainly have quenched his ambitions to coach in the future. By year's end, he was coach of Carlton and while he was to play in his sixth winning grand final with Melbourne in the interim, the foundation was laid for a far different Melbourne going far into the future than that which had ruled supremely for more than a decade.

Do you remember the FF before Bourke.?

Alan Rowarth beautiful Left footer with very hairy legs.

I reckon he had the record for hitting the post the most of any FF.

Used to kick his customary 2 goals every week.

I love this nostalgia, mainly because I can't remember what happened yesterday.

You don't know how lucky you are Chippy

Football fever usual dominates everything in Melbourne at this time of the year but in 1964, the Beatles were visiting the country and they overshadowed every event. Two days before the Fab Four were due to appear at Melbourne's Festival Hall, the MCG played host to what was then football's most famous clash of traditional rivals on 13 June, 1964. Melbourne and Collingwood attracted 86,660 to a bruising battle between two of the great sides of the era. As often happened in those days, Melbourne won.

Melbourne 3.2.20 5.4.34 8.10.58 10.13.73

Collingwood 2.1.13 3.4.22 5.9.39 8.15.63

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Bob Miller

HB: Don Williams Bob "Tassie" Johnson Brian Leahy

C: Brian Dixon "Hassa" Mann Graeme Watson

HF: Bryan Kenneally Graeme Jacobs Barrie Vagg

F: John Lord Barry Bourke John Townsend

19/20: Peter McLean David Robbie

Goals Barry Bourke Graeme Jacobs John Townsend Barrie Vagg 2 Ken Emselle Bryan Kenneally

Best Ron Barassi Barrie Vagg Hassa Mann Bryan Kenneally Don Williams Brian Dixon

Melbourne got the early break on its rival but failed to make the most of its opportunities and led by only two goals at the main break. The Pies came back early in the third term and it was an absorbing battle from then on until Barrie Vagg scored a late sealer near the end of the game.

The crowd for the game was overshadowed by the numbers who crowded Exhibition Street the next day to catch a glimpse of the Beatles. The story of their concert at Festival Hall had a resonance with football when stand-in drummer was dropped to make way for Ringo Starr, returning from illness -

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/15/live-festival-hall-melbourne

'Doc' Roet would have been an automatic selection at CHB in that team, so I'm guessing that he was injured for that match. There's an interesting story / myth about Doc. who earned his nickname because he was studying medicine while playing for the Dees. The story goes that his opponent had been concussed the previous week, and Doc got into his head early about the dangers of playing football the week after suffering concussion. The obvious conclusion is that his opponent had a very poor game. Not only was Doc's sledging effective, but 50 years on it seems that his medical advice was also spot on. Nice of Doc to be so thoughtful towards his opponent!

'Doc' Roet would have been an automatic selection at CHB in that team, so I'm guessing that he was injured for that match. There's an interesting story / myth about Doc. who earned his nickname because he was studying medicine while playing for the Dees. The story goes that his opponent had been concussed the previous week, and Doc got into his head early about the dangers of playing football the week after suffering concussion. The obvious conclusion is that his opponent had a very poor game. Not only was Doc's sledging effective, but 50 years on it seems that his medical advice was also spot on. Nice of Doc to be so thoughtful towards his opponent!

More likely DOF was that his opponent was still suffering the effects of the concussion. Would they have known that back then?

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story though :)

• Like 1

Melbourne had a fair afternoon on this day 27 June, fifty years ago.

The Demons beat the Tigers decisively in all three grades and came away with a 113 point win in the senior game at the MCG before a crowd of 27,614

Melbourne 4.5.29 11.13.79 16.16.112 23.18.156

Richmond
0.2.2 3.4 .22 5.7.37 6.7.43

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Don Williams

F: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Barry Bourke John Townsend

19/20: Bob Carroll Graeme Watson

Goals Ron Barassi Graeme Jacobs John Townsend 4 Ken Emselle 3 Barry Bourke Bryan Kenneally 2 Bob "Tas" Johnson "Hassa" Mann Barrie Vagg Graham Wise

Best Ron Barassi Brian Roet John Townsend Frank "Bluey" Adams "Hassa" Mann Graeme Jacobs

The winning margin was the biggest of Norm Smith's coaching career and to make it sweeter, the hapless Tigers were coached by his brother Len. Demon captain and Norm Smith protégé Ron Barassi was having a stellar season and was easily best on ground with his inspirational play and four goals.

The win saw Melbourne take second place on the ladder after ten rounds.

Spot on, Devoted.

Roger Dean staged when Barassi tackled him. The Ump fell for it, and Barass missed the finals. There went the '63 Premiership. I know I should move on, but I've never forgiven Dean (or Richmond) for that disgrace.

I was devestated - probably even shed some tears, as I believe, did RDB.

I think the same thing happened to Neville Crowe in 1967.

I don't think that Dean staged that one though. Can't remember who the "victim" was that day.

Both Crowe and RDB would have been cleared these days by video review.

IIRC Watson's career in both games was short-lived. Anyone know why?

I do seem to recall that he suffered some sort of horrendous facial injury at cricket - no helmets then - and nearly bled out. Maybe that was the end though I can't really remember the details

Didn't Ray Groom primarily play in the ruck?

(Mind you, I'm pleased to be able to say I'm too young to remember anything from the 1964 season).

I thought that he was recruited as a CHF. Don't remember why he didn't play in the GF though - maybe injured, maybe form??

Melbourne had a fair afternoon on this day 27 June, fifty years ago.

The Demons beat the Tigers decisively in all three grades and came away with a 113 point win in the senior game at the MCG before a crowd of 27,614 Melbourne 4.5.29 11.13.79 16.16.112 23.18.156

Richmond 0.2.2 3.4 .22 5.7.37 6.7.43

Goals Barassi Jacobs Townsend 4 Emselle 3 Bourke Kenneally 2 "Tas" Johnson Mann Vagg Wise

The winning margin was the biggest of Norm Smith's coaching career and to make it sweeter, the hapless Tigers were coached by his brother Len. Demon captain and Norm Smith protégé Ron Barassi was having a stellar season and was easily best on ground with his inspirational play and four goals.

The win saw Melbourne take second place on the ladder after ten rounds.

Did Dean play that day and if so I wonder if RDB paid his special attention? Edited by monoccular

The Demons' solid form continued when they made the trip to the Lake Oval for their Round 11 clash against South Melbourne on 4 July, 1964.

After a relatively even first half Melbourne produced a dominant third quarter booting eight goals to one on the way to a 46-point victory in front of a meagre crowd of 10,490.

Melbourne 4.7.31 7.9.51 15.14.104 18.21.129

South Melbourne
1.2.8 6.8.44 7.10.52 12.11.83

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Don Williams

F: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Barry Bourke Owen Zinko

FOLL: Graham Wise Ron Barassi John Townsend

19/20: Ken Emselle Peter McLean

Goals Graeme Jacobs 5 John Townsend Owen Zinko 3 Barrie Vagg 2 Ron Barassi Ken Emselle Tassie Johnson Bryan Kenneally Brian Leahy

Best Ron Barassi Bryan Kenneally John Townsend Frank "Bluey" Adams Graeme Jacobs

Graeme Jacobs had a break out game at full forward as the red hot Demons continued their surge to the top of the VFL ladder.

Melbourne also had good wins in their Reserves and Under 19s against the Swans.

On this day fifty years ago, Melbourne faced the daunting prospect of venturing out to Kardinia Park to take on the reigning premiers and, in front of a crowd of 33,761, the team triumphed by 21 points. With six games to go before the finals, the Demons were now on top of the ladder on percentage and established as flag favourites.

Melbourne 2.1.13 6.5.41 7.7.49 10.15.75

Geelong
3.7.25 3.7.25 7.10.52 7.12.54

THE TEAM

C: Graeme Watson "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

F: Graeme Jacobs Barry Bourke Ken Emselle

19/20: Peter McLean David Robbie

Goals Ron Barassi 3 Ken Emselle Graeme Jacobs 2 Barry Bourke John Townsend Graeme Watson

Best Tony Anderson Brian Dixon Ken Emselle Ron Barassi Brian Roet Graeme Watson

The Cats wasted a good start with their inaccuracy kicking with the wind in the opening term and the Demons took full advantage when their turn came kicking 4.4 to nothing in the second. Geelong fought back to take a small lead at the last break but it wasn't enough and Melbourne, led by Ron Barassi at his brilliant best, stormed home to take the points.

Frank Davis played his first game for the Melbourne Football Club on this day fifty years ago and, although he was later known as a solid defender, he booted a goal (with his second kick) in Melbourne’s 72 point win in front of 29,631 at the MCG.

Melbourne 2.4.16 7.7.49 14.11.95 18.15.123

North Melbourne
1.5.11 4.10.34 4.11.35 6.15.51

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Bob "Tassie" Johnson

HB: Tony Anderson Brian Roet Don Williams

C: Brian Dixon "Hassa" Mann Graeme Watson

19/20: Frank "Bluey" Adams Frank Davis

Goals John Townsend 4 Ken Emselle Ray Groom Graeme Jacobs 3 Bryan Kenneally 2 Ron Barassi Frank Davis Hassa Mann

Best "Hassa" Mann John Townsend Graeme Jacobs Ken Emselle eil Crompton Don WIlliams

The round 13 victory was Melbourne’s ninth consecutive win and sealed the club’s eleventh successive finals appearance, whilst at the same time knocking North Melbourne out of finals calculations.

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday, 25 July, 1964 Melbourne ventured to Princes Park for what should have been a leisurely walk in the park against lowly Carlton. It didn't turn out that way.

Melbourne 3.2.20 6.4.40 7.6.48 12.8.80

Carlton 4.3.27 4.4.28 7.13.55 9.14.68

THE TEAM

HB: Tony Anderson Brian Roet Don WIlliams

19/20: Frank Davis Graeme Watson

Goals Ray Groom 3, Ken Emselle John Townsend 2 Frank Adams Barry Bourke Graeme Jacobs Bryan Kenneally Barrie Vagg

Best Bryan Kenneally "Hassa" Mann Ron Barassi Tony Anderson Barrie Vagg Graham Wise

The Blues came close to causing the upset of the season in front of 17,831 fans. They led by seven points at the end of third quarter but the Demons stormed home with the aid of the wind to consolidate top spt on the ladder with a win and 23% clear of second placed Geelong.

Re the Barassi suspension - they had a photo of the incident that conflicted sharply with the evidence - but MFC were not allowed to present it at the tribunal. So RDB was rubbed out and the picture was on the front page of The Sun the next morning - made the ump and the then VFL look stupid (some might say some things never change).

As for Roger Dean - reasonable player - should have won umpteen Oscars at the Academy Awards.

On Saturday, 1 August, 1964, the MCG hosted 33,212 fans for what was billed as a danger game for the Demons as they faced the Saints which were the last side to beat them - back in round four. Melbourne did the job comfortably in a low scoring encounter and despite failing to score in the last half hour.

Melbourne 3.5.23 6.5.41 8.7.55 8.7.55

St. Kilda
0.0.0 2.2.14 3.3.21 5.7.37

THE TEAM

HB: Tony Anderson Brian Roet Peter McLean

19/20: Jim Leitch Graeme Watson

Goals Barry Bourke 3 Graeme Jacobs Hassa Mann 2 Ron Barassi

Best "Hassa Mann Brian Dixon Ron Barassi Frank "Bluey" Adams Graeme Jacobs Bryan Kenneally

Melbourne held St. Kilda scoreless in the opening quarter and led by 23 points at the first break. It stretched the margin to almost six goals by three quarter time and, despite being well held at the end conceded only two goals, to still record a comfortable victory. Defender Brian "Doc" Roet sustained a calf injury.