The line in the sand.

Vince Vega

When did 'using my strengths against other's abuse' mean calling for off-the-ball fights in advance of an AFL game?

Anyway, post-2004;

Roughhead, Franklin, Lewis, Young, Taylor, Dew, Murphy, Ellis, Birchall, Guerra, Sewell, Rioli.

It wasn't some stupid punch-on in 2004 that set the Hawks right.

• Like 3

When did 'using my strengths against other's abuse' mean calling for off-the-ball fights in advance of an AFL game?

Anyway, post-2004;

Roughhead, Franklin, Lewis, Young, Taylor, Dew, Murphy, Ellis, Birchall, Guerra, Sewell, Rioli.

It wasn't some stupid punch-on in 2004 that set the Hawks right.

I will excuse you Little Goffy because you are from Canberra, where they would rather have a focus group than an all in. Me, I want to see niggle at the start that descends into spot fires all over the ground and culminates in Robinson being airlifted out of there.

• Like 2

Yeater stands up. Why i loved this bloke. One of the gutsiest i've seen in the red and blue. Could play as well. Goodwin at least good at a stoush lol.... keogh in there as well... only reserves but we still played with spirit and never took a backward step during this period (first year post swooper)....

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

The Northey brigade never took a backward step, went on to win this one and as we all know, played off on the last day in September after beating the Blues in the Prelim the week after...

• Like 4

little goofy, I don't think anyone has called for off the ball fights. I think they're your words maestro.

but if a tate de tate starts about the ball, I would like to see them all in there with full weight to show the colours.

& I would be proud to have been able to help out in this way for my Dees.

Yeater could play as well as biff. Also, watch the boys fly the flag for Lovell at the 2:45 mark....Hitting in hard and not taking a backward step is what it takes to win big matches, especially finals. Anyone who thinks otherwise should stick to watching netball....

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Yeater could play as well as biff. Also, watch the boys fly the flag for Lovell at the 2:45 mark....Hitting in hard and not taking a backward step is what it takes to win big matches, especially finals. Anyone who thinks otherwise should stick to watching netball....

any one who thinks not is mostly not up to AFL finals anyway.

look at the 2000 Grand final. a strong example of areas where we were lacking across the field, for Big Finals matches.

The issue is that people on here are calling for us to be the ones dumping Lovell behind play.

Two threads here, mixed into one.

One group of people demanding constant effort, two-way running, tackling hard and often, not shirking contests.

The other group apparently will settle for a bit of sniping at players whose face or posture they don't like.

• Like 2

The issue is that people on here are calling for us to be the ones dumping Lovell behind play.

One group of people demanding constant effort, two-way running, tackling hard and often, not shirking contests.

The other group apparently will settle for a bit of sniping at players whose face or posture they don't like.

Good footy teams do both. The "sniping" doesn't mean king hitting - it means intimidation, aggression and an if you mess with me you mess with all of us attitude.

• Like 3

Little Goffy, I like Jack Watts. But I always get the feeling he's about to say 'jolly good show'. I would love us to shake the poor old Dees tag.

Little Goffy, I like Jack Watts. But I always get the feeling he's about to say 'jolly good show'. I would love us to shake the poor old Dees tag.

A few years ago we were playing an away game against Hawthorn. They were kicking the bejeesus out of us. A Hawthorn [censored] in front of me said to her daughter, " I feel sorry for Melbourne, they haven't got anything".

How [censored] weak are we?

Winning games is one thing but showing a bit of heart is another.

• Like 1

Hmm, get in a punch-on in the second quarter, lose by 90, have three required players miss the next couple of games with suspension, when we have no depth at all to cover them.

It's a plan!

I feel invigorated already! Galvanised in the true 'experiment making a dead frog jerk around randomly' sense.

yeah,but no bugger will stand over the team for a long time afterwards.

and atm teams are standing over us far to easily.

comes a time you have to set a benchmark and pay a penalty if required,but dont ever let some bugger stand over you.

what else has worked in the last 7 years?

3/4 players out suspended for 3 weeks,ppfffttt minor penalty.

it cant be worse than it is now,

weve tried all the BS special coaching ways,and they havent worked.

at least this way every other club can be very careful about us in the future.

Edited by jazza

Good footy teams do both. The "sniping" doesn't mean king hitting - it means intimidation, aggression and an if you mess with me you mess with all of us attitude.

thats just gooffy trying to paint the argument into something he can use to strengthen his point. because he's just against physical intimidation. he would love it to be soccer I'm sure.

he tried to paint my point the same way talking about off ball stuff like its behind the play king hits, etc.

I'd love some of ours to play like Dermie, crashing front on into them. unfortunately thats risky now with the incidental head clash stuff. but we can still well and truly from our weight around in stoushes & wrastles about the ground.

We're not going to make finals but we Sure as Hell need to find some Vim & some Vigour. take no prisoners I say, & leave it all out on the park this weekend.

don't mistake the poor old Dees, because it isn't... its "poor old fuchsias", because that is what we've returned to... we've been gradually been cleansed of the Demons over some 15 odd years.

we had that old Demon spirit, that we rediscovered mid 80's, & that lasted to the mid 90's +.

the Checker Hughes spirit would be writhing in contempt, with whats been happening with our teams of the last decade +.

• Like 1

Yuck. Who would? No self-respecting Italian ACTUALLY eats there.

How about coffee at Brunettis! Is that acceptable?

Whelan was a beauty. Neitz was good but he was a lead and mark full forward, he simply didn't have the opportunities to make a statement. James McDonald was the classic unassuming tough as old boots guy. But for everyone like him there were plenty of Yze's, Green's, Bruce's etc.

Master you realise that in comparison to our current list of players, the likes of Yze, Travis, Bruce and co are MFC legends, Demigods, if you like. Neitz, McDonald are God like in their ability to compete and win the ball. For all the failings of that group of 10 years ago that we all complained about at the time, good god what would we do for a few of them now in our team? And Neitz could make a statement and often did, both on the score board and physically.

• Like 2

The Northey brigade never took a backward step, went on to win this one and as we all know, played off on the last day in September after beating the Blues in the Prelim the week after...

Was there at the G that day along with 87000 plus others, enjoyed every minute and we were far the better side.

Some interesting personnel in the Pies line up - Manson, Taylor and Shaw for starters, very little grey matter to share amongst those three.

Shane Kerrison, now there was a dog of a bloke who compares favourably with Mitch Robinson.

Enough said.

• Like 2

As I'm in thumb sucking mode when it comes to watching the team at the moment (I still believe in the team, the coach and the path, just it's a long trek), I have basically retreated into watching grainy footage of the late 80's to 90's and some 00's, and there were plenty of times when we were fierce, and as neanderthal as it is, I bloody love it. I think in a just let them know you exist in a way (not permanent damage way) a few blokes like Spencer and maybe Dunn (don't really want him suspended), running through and bruising a few ribs would be a good thing. Everything in the contest and no cheap shots or king hits, but a few in your face wild eye moments would be great.

But as has been said, waiting for ever, would settle for a couple of semi bruising shepherds protecting each other, in fact are shepherds even a stat, would like to track that one. More than inside 50's.

• Like 2