Jack Watts - Wingman

PartyTimeJohnny

Probably one of the best games he's played for the club. 27 touches at 96%. Hope he can carry on with this form throughout the season, he brings a big lift to our midfield.

• Like 6

Probably one of the best games he's played for the club. 27 touches at 96%. Hope he can carry on with this form throughout the season, he brings a big lift to our midfield.

Thought he was exceptional tonight. Cannot remember him missing a target playing a pendlebury type game.

Used his speed. Where has that been. Timed his releases once his opponent had committed.

Also went forward and had his opponent left cold and should have added a goal or two but we couldn't get it to him unmanned in the inside 50.

Just add tackling and we may have something.

• Like 2

His game last night was something to take home, was one of a very few who played with creativity while keeping in the plan.

Could finally be Watts' time to shine.

I was really impressed. His disposal was (as usual) impeccable and although he still wasn't as tough in the contests as others (he never will be) Watts has amazing awareness with the ball, that only a couple of the others in the side come close to.

One of the only ones who tried

Mate, plenty tried, they just don't have the skill of the bloke that this thread is about.

He is another TJ - in more ways than the several ways you were thinking.

Great effort.

• Like 2

Was excellent, and particularly it has Watts and Jones who kept popping up in the last quarter as our only players who genuinely looked able to threaten to take the game back from St Kilda.

Definitely needed a couple more to contribute like that on the night, but, there's no denying that if this is the 'new Watts', we've got a serious addition to our team.

• Like 2

I would like to see Templeton cited for the flying elbow. Just thought I'd mention that.

As for Watts, he was brilliant with the ball in hand and worked really hard to present options when he didn't, but he still needs to tackle more. There were a few occasions where he had an opponent right in front of him and could have nailed them and instead he chose to let them run off and stayed with his man. I'm not talking about a 10-15m chase, but 1-2m to get to them, sometimes when they were taking off from a standing start. This is the only area of his game I really have a problem with,his reluctance to commit to contact.

• Like 1

I posted in the post match thread about Watts. In the last qtr he ran through a pack of players collected the ball, kept running before disposing of it. Yes with his skills we need him on the outside but there were lots of occasions last night(not centre bounces) where the opportunity presented itself but he hung back waiting for someone to feed him the ball. This at times allows the opponent to gain possession. He has the speed to clear the congestion allowing him time to execute a kick. He is starting to back himself and I think his decision making on hang back/attack ball will improve greatly as the year goes on, once he grasps that concept he will become a star of the game. He is about to turn 23 just as he is realising his potential. Also can push forward as required and is pretty handy kicking at goal.

As mentioned above needs to improve his tackling or lack there off, has speed to catch opponents.

Looked fantastic, thought he was our best player last night, can see him having a very good year,

In my view he was one of three players from last night that another AFL side would want.

Looked like a number 1 pick last night

Feels good to say that

Hope he can back it up next week in an MCG win vs the E-girls

Not sure what Red you had for lunch h_h but clearly it has effected your powers of reasoning

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Agreed, played a very good game. Showed fantastic touch, as shown by his disposal efficiency and great awareness too. He was one of the few, if not the only one i felt comfortable with, when the ball was in his hands.

A good start, and something to build on. Onwards and upwards Jack.

Looked fantastic, thought he was our best player last night, can see him having a very good year,

Had a great game, but i thought Jones was our best by a fair margin last night. He is seriously underrated in the AFL. If he was at a club with recent success, he would be seen as a definite star.

In my view he was one of three players from last night that another AFL side would want.

Roo, Watts Jones?

for us i reckon

Watts, Tyson, Jones, Dunn, Vince would be about it, Trengove has improved alot but still has a long way to go, same with Toumpas, Frawley is a good player and i reckon 17 other teams will be circling but he was abit dopey at times last night.