NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

Have you been watching?

1. Ability to stick with the likes of N. Riewoldt

2. The fact he's never blown up and headed to the bench + that he plays huge minutes

3. Repeat efforts after a spoil he's quick to find his feet

4. He does run well out of defense and link up when he's around a contest

I've seen plenty of his run from the backline but we do need to see more I will agree on that. We also need to target him from kick outs as with a decent pair of hands and tall body plus the endurance he should be a target running to open space.

Just to play CHB as a young player requires a big tank. I think he can take it up a notch a tad but remember the more you run off your opponent the further it is to get back on to them if the ball is turned over. There's probably a limit of how useful top quality endurance is as a tall defender compared to a midfield but McDonald has been using his now he just has to step it up. He's a decent runner to get the ball and link up but needs to improve his skills so he trusts himself to do it more.

Good points except number 4 which was my comment. Admittedly I was not paying due recognition to points 1-3. I do not recall seeing him 'streaming out of defense' on many occasions, the way a player like Scarlett did, who set the benchmark for the attacking defender. Don't get me wrong I rate TMac highly, just wondering on others' thoughts about the seeming disconnect between his running ability and the manifestation of it on gameday. If you can run like that you would hope to see him find space with the ball in his hands 60-70 metres from our defensive goal line setting something up. Again, not bagging him, he is a gem, but being the best/2nd best runner out of 40+ athletes should be translating a little better for mine.

I'd like to see him play where he fits in the new game plan!

The forward line is weak but defensively we look good.

Dunn is a chance for a couple of super goals.

Might sound a little bit crazy but i have a feeling Roos might work his magic on Dunn and turn him into a very good player for us, with him and greg-cant spell his name as well as mcdonald and frawley i worry the backline is too tall

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect us to win but do want to see more genuine endeavor, more game plan adherance, maybe a few less clumsy turnovers, improved delivery by both hand and foot, a little more gut running, and no sign of the "Oh well we can't win now, so lets all ease off a bit" syndrome.

I do expect Roos at some stages to give a few players the silent stare before quietly, but VERY FIRMLY telling them, that some of the efforts wont be tolerated anymore.

This side is in a transitional learning state right now , so early success would be an unexpected bonus.

I am hoping for a score card something like Rich 85pts vs Melb 65 pts. Howe to bag 3 goals. Jones to be our BOG again.

• Like 1

If we can be competitive in the disposal count, inside 50's, and clearances, I'll be wrapt. We were woeful in those areas last year and there is no reason we can't be at least competitive with most of our best mid's playing.

like a chrissy present.

just waiting to be untied around Rnd 5

Game is at 7.10 Local time.

Foxfooty is showing it Live with several replays over the next 24 hours I bet.

SEN is covering it on radio (1116 on the Melbourne dial or they have an app).

I'll be listening to the first half I reckon while watching my son play cricket then hopefully getting home in time with takeaway Indian to watch the 2nd half while celebrating my daughters 9th birthday.

Go Dees.

My Brother had a long chat today with a well known recruiter from a rival club.

His view is that we should be 2 goals a quarter better this year simply for not having Neeld as coach.

He also LOVES Salem as a player.

Edited by Hannibal
  • Like 3

Did anyone see the Roosy interview preview last night at half time on Fox footy?

Nice slow motion view of Roosy with the 'hallelujah' song playing in the background.

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for about an hour. So pumped to see his first game as coach tonight.

GO DEES.

His view is that we should be 2 goals a quarter better this year simply for not having Neeld as coach.

I like your post.

So if we add another 2 for having Roos on board and another 2 for the midfield recruits along with a fit Hogan, Clark and Dawes the top 4 is looking good.

...but seriously it is an interesting view. Salem with Tyson could be a pretty good use of our pick 2 I would think.

Pumped for tonight... I watched highlights of us flogging a damn good Sydney side in 2010 just to get positive vibes cranked.

While watching it was noted that we kicked plenty of goals without a stellar forward line.

Carn the dees!!

Despite the inherent elation about getting to watch my one true love in action again after 6 months, I am nervous as hell about tonight. Call it pessimism, I guess it is. Surely we are the one side in the competition that has the biggest element of desperate need for an improvement. There is a bubble of confidence and belief that is being expanded, and if we get completely smashed tonight (which I have a feeling we might) it is going to pop a hole in it and deflate it.

Even at this early stage, if the side, the supporters and 'the footy world' come away from this thinking that the Roos+recruits changes have had zero impact it is going to hurt everyone a lot. I've recognised that we have some massive outs but if we are still a basket case it is going to be very bad times for the whole MFC community (damn I wish we had even ONE of Hogan/Dawes/Clark in not to mention the criminally underrated Garland down back).

Of course we will all write it off as 'just a praccy', but really it does have a correlation with the season proper. We have seen it time and time again that our putrid preseason efforts have carried over to the home and away. I'm not deliberately trying to be a 'negative Nelly' but I really feel like that is what's riding on tonight. So I look towards it not with excitement, but with fear. Hopefully about 6 hours from now the things I have just written will be unfounded. My 2c.

• Like 1

Watts missed 4 trainings last week. Can't see how he plays this week. I'd be looking to him next week.

I rode past Gosch's this morning, and saw some MFC players training. After stopping to watch for a few minutes, it was obvious that these were the non-players for tonight -- Dawes, Clark, Jamar, Gawn etc. Watts was there as well, meaning he won't be there tonight, I presume.