Names on Guernseys

Vagg

Pretty happy with those jumpers.

For those complaining, what specifically is wrong with those examples?

The backs of the jumpers are so full of information that for most clubs its just a blank wall of colour and does not look like a traditional jumper.

Fortunately ours, the bombers, tigers, scraggs and Lions seem to have elements of the actual jumper design on the back.

The pies and Cats have no hint of their hoops and stripes.

I am not against the idea per se but think we should try to retain some of the tradition of the game which is why the unthinking use of clash strips annoys me (ie when we play St Kilda).

Then again we have no tradition in relation to the rules of the game so why would we care about jumpers.

Names should be tattooed on their forehead at the very least. Nate Jones on the back of his scone because his head's always over the footy.

I'm always worried when Jonesy is at the bottom the pack(yet again!) that an opposition player will mistake his cranium for the ball and be penalised for kicking in danger.

I'm always worried when Jonesy is at the bottom the pack(yet again!) that an opposition player will mistake his cranium for the ball and be penalised for kicking in danger.

You must spend an outrageously large percentage of Melbourne games deeply worried!!!

• Like 1

10154540_10151995035951417_8979593835777

I can barely read those names from here, how is this supposed to help spectators 50-200 metres away in the stands? It wouldn't be any easier on television with the action is so dynamic and the camera angles always chopping and changing every couple of seconds. I just struggle to see spectators being assisted in identifying players. Perhaps during a stoppage or a close up during a set shot for goal? The only reason clubs are pushing hard for this to increase their merchandise sales.

• Like 1

I think this idea would have more legs if we could get to choose what name to put on a particular player's back. I am sure that there are quite a few people who would pay a pretty penny to put "D1ckhead" on some players' backs ... :lol:

I can barely read those names from here, how is this supposed to help spectators 50-200 metres away in the stands? It wouldn't be any easier on television with the action is so dynamic and the camera angles always chopping and changing every couple of seconds. I just struggle to see spectators being assisted in identifying players. Perhaps during a stoppage or a close up during a set shot for goal? The only reason clubs are pushing hard for this to increase their merchandise sales.

its another television inspired innovation. they do run the afl after all

I think it's not just TV but also merchandising opportunity, Would you pay more for a Melbourne jumper with a 31 and Barassi's name on it or no name?

I think it's a great idea - I rate myself as a reasonably committed footy fan who knows most of the 45 MFC players by sight and all of them by number. But that recognition would vary from say 30 players at well-known Victorian clubs down to less than 10 players at lesser known interstate clubs. For example I reckon I didn't know who half a dozen Carlton players were on Saturday - I was asking my Carlton mate "Who's that (gumby)?". And there's a big set of fans less informed than me. Names on jumpers would be a big help for me.

• Like 5

I think it's a great idea - I rate myself as a reasonably committed footy fan who knows most of the 45 MFC players by sight and all of them by number. But that recognition would vary from say 30 players at well-known Victorian clubs down to less than 10 players at lesser known interstate clubs. For example I reckon I didn't know who half a dozen Carlton players were on Saturday - I was asking my Carlton mate "Who's that (gumby)?". And there's a big set of fans less informed than me. Names on jumpers would be a big help for me.

Embarrassingly, I was wondering why people were booing someone I didn't recognise wearing #39 for Carlton on Saturday. Didn't realise until I went home and watched the replay.

• Like 1

but will you be able to read them at the ground. i doubt it unless you and they are on the boundary

certainly easier when on tv with all the close-ups which as you say will be an advantage esp with other sides

If it creates more revenue, then the AFL will welcome it.

Obviously it will lift jumper sales, so the AFL will deem it a success - regardless of whether it actually is.

One thing is for sure, it looks ordinary, it's a pathetic idea and why do we want to follow the Americans.

Generation 'lt's all about me' is in full swing.

I think I prefer the jumpers to be nice and simple and traditional.

A problematic term. One person's "tradition" might be different from someone else's.

For example, do you mean with no sponsors logos? No apparel provider's name? No AFL logo on the front? No AFL image within the players' numbers on the back? Royal blue or dark blue and what about the shade of red? Collar or no collar? etc, etc

Although I don't know anyone in the club, I'll take a punt and suggest the commercial arm probably believes sponsors' names should be on there somewhere.

Tradition is and will always be pushed aside in favour of innovation. Agree with it or not its happening.

Its been happening for years and the names on the jumpers is a relatively small change compared to a lot of other changes over the last 50 or more years.

Jumpers without sleaves, sponsor logos everywhere, we changed our colours from navy blue to royal blue (and back again) to accommodate colour TV, clash jumpers, night time footy, sunday footy, mid week footy, suburban home grounds, grounds with no mud, indoor stadium, new training bases(AAMI Park, Westpac centre etc.), rules of game, expansion teams, VFL to AFL, the list could go on forever.

These are all things that have changed over the years that have now become the norm.

Give it a few years and people wont remember a time without names on jumpers just as we have become accustomed to all the other changes and innovations over the years.

It's only early but I don't love it.

The game hasn't started, the players are basically stationary and I find it hard to decode the name. Not to mention the GPS device muffles the lettering and the slightest ruffling of the jumper leaves the name indecipherable.

Not sure who its meant to help. Those at the ground can't read it, those watching on tv can only see it momentarily and probably only if the player is stationary with their back to screen. Can't see that being of much benefit, especially as most stationary players are mentioned by commentators/have their name on screen.

Oh well.

• Like 1

I think I prefer the jumpers to be nice and simple and traditional.

i like the names on the back s of jumpers.

it reminds me of the players number if i forget it.