Training - Wednesday 18th December, 2013

Demonland

According to the club website there are two more training sessions to go before the end of year break up and both are at Gosch's Paddock, the first tomorrow and then the break-up on Friday.

Please let's not stray from the topic and in particular, no derailing as we've seen with the last two training threads.

Reports are most welcome.

Thank you.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~ No Mitch Clark today.

~ Salem & King not allowed to run today, don't look injured just being monitored I'd say.

~ Viney pulled out of warm up, spoke to fitness staff, doing a couple tests, left leg, can't tell what, done for the day.

~ JKH back on the track, good to see.

~ Hogan not training, the other rested players went in, he stayed out and wandered down the end to do some set shots. Has a weird skip halfway through his approach but very deliberate and very balanced, 9 out of 11 from around 35m different angles while I watched.

~ Watching Nath Jones closely in a kicking drill, not only does he hit every target, but they are right in front of the eyes where you want them.

~ Just for the haters out there, Pedo was chucking a GPS on, and is ripped up. He's just a big guy

~ Kicking drill, Spencer hitting stab passes over bout 30m to stationary target at about 7 from 8. Really should be expected from an AFL player but to be honest, this is a huge improvement from him. His technique looked flawless.

~ Grimey running laps.

~ Watching a group do contested marking, Garland, Pedo, Hunt and Georgiou, firstly Rawlings should be on our list, his is a gun! Feel confident having him coaching techniques in this. Secondly hunt is a real competitor in this. Is massively outsized by the other 4, but protects the space well and is football strong for his size.

~ Harmes competing with Jones in handball drill. He is super evasive.

~ Backline group doing drill working the ball around and out of the backline, works around and out to the flank before always hitting a target in the centre with players storming past.

~ Garland pulls out of group drill to work with Rawlings on his short kicks on the run. Didn't miss one

~ A running drill where 4 players handball inboard before the last player hits a leading forward and they sprint through to the 50m. A lot of what Roos does is based on moving into the corridor.

~ Garland had a crack at TMac for stopping short of the 50m line, and sent him back to go in there, then the exact same thing with garland and watts.

~ JKH crumbed a ball at full pace, so clean he actually went past the guy calling for the hands as they had slowed down.

~ I've seen it on a couple occasions now, Toumpas has a habit of hand balling to people in a way that their only option is to give it back to him coming past, a lot of gun juniors learn this habit. Not a bad thing, just means he wants the ball in his hands.

~ Frawley showed up in casual clothes, and just hung out near the boundary, missed a couple sessions now.

~ After a drill Roos pulled the players aside and addressed them for about 15 minutes before starting a full ground 15v10 movement drill from fb to ff where if the 10 defenders touched the ball the drill stopped and Roos addressed why.

~ Vince was very smart in this drill, not only his spot he ran too but the decisions he made with the ball created run and space for teammates.

~ Blease has done a huge amount of running today, repeat 300m efforts.

~ Jamar jogged a couple laps and headed in.

Great report Tappy thanks.

Interesting to see a lot of the Seniors not out there training. Must be part of their program to keep them rightly balanced with the level of training to avoid any unnecessary injuries. Mitch obviously resting up from his incident earlier.

Did Max and Spencil both complete a full session? or Just Spencil?

I popped along for a look this morning. I got there at 9:50 and from reading Tappy's report I must've just missed seeing Hogan and Viney. In fact I didn't see any of the tall forwards (Mitch, fizzy, hogan) training today?? I had thought maybe a scheduled day off. Other than what Tappy covered a few other observations.

- didn't see Max Gawn at all

- Jack watts pulled out of training about 3/4 of the way through with what appeared to be a niggle in the upper leg / groin area. He received treatment for about 5 mins then spoke to chip who was watching on, before grabbing his bag and making his way back towards AAMI. On the way he stopped and posed with a group of love struck teenage girls for photos and autographs for a good 10 mins

- also on watts he was imploring his group to be "perfect" in their execution of a ball movement drill which was good to see.

- skills were pretty sharp on the whole, Nicho hit almost very target for the day except for one woeful helicopter.

- as others have commented Roosy far more of a teacher during training than Neeld was.

- I was impressed by Trenners today, sharp in everything I saw him do and hit targets well in the ball movement drills

I left about 11:20 a group including T-mac, cross, Trenners, Toumpas, Jonesy, Vince , Pedo and Dunn were running a mix of approx, 800m then 600m at a reasonable clip. I timed T-Mac at 1:16 secs for a lap of Gosch's, with the others coming through in the order I listed. Pedo and Dunn brought up the tail in 1:26, with the others all around the 1:20 mark.

~ No Mitch Clark today.

~ Salem & King not allowed to run today, don't look injured just being monitored I'd say.

~ Viney pulled out of warm up, spoke to fitness staff, doing a couple tests, left leg, can't tell what, done for the day.

~ JKH back on the track, good to see.

~ Hogan not training, the other rested players went in, he stayed out and wandered down the end to do some set shots. Has a weird skip halfway through his approach but very deliberate and very balanced, 9 out of 11 from around 35m different angles while I watched.

~ Watching Nath Jones closely in a kicking drill, not only does he hit every target, but they are right in front of the eyes where you want them.

~ Just for the haters out there, Pedo was chucking a GPS on, and is ripped up. He's just a big guy

~ Kicking drill, Spencer hitting stab passes over bout 30m to stationary target at about 7 from 8. Really should be expected from an AFL player but to be honest, this is a huge improvement from him. His technique looked flawless.

~ Grimey running laps.

~ Watching a group do contested marking, Garland, Pedo, Hunt and Georgiou, firstly Rawlings should be on our list, his is a gun! Feel confident having him coaching techniques in this. Secondly hunt is a real competitor in this. Is massively outsized by the other 4, but protects the space well and is football strong for his size.

~ Harmes competing with Jones in handball drill. He is super evasive.

~ Backline group doing drill working the ball around and out of the backline, works around and out to the flank before always hitting a target in the centre with players storming past.

~ Garland pulls out of group drill to work with Rawlings on his short kicks on the run. Didn't miss one

~ A running drill where 4 players handball inboard before the last player hits a leading forward and they sprint through to the 50m. A lot of what Roos does is based on moving into the corridor.

~ Garland had a crack at TMac for stopping short of the 50m line, and sent him back to go in there, then the exact same thing with garland and watts.

~ JKH crumbed a ball at full pace, so clean he actually went past the guy calling for the hands as they had slowed down.

~ I've seen it on a couple occasions now, Toumpas has a habit of hand balling to people in a way that their only option is to give it back to him coming past, a lot of gun juniors learn this habit. Not a bad thing, just means he wants the ball in his hands.

~ Frawley showed up in casual clothes, and just hung out near the boundary, missed a couple sessions now.

~ After a drill Roos pulled the players aside and addressed them for about 15 minutes before starting a full ground 15v10 movement drill from fb to ff where if the 10 defenders touched the ball the drill stopped and Roos addressed why.

~ Vince was very smart in this drill, not only his spot he ran too but the decisions he made with the ball created run and space for teammates.

~ Blease has done a huge amount of running today, repeat 300m efforts.

~ Jamar jogged a couple laps and headed in.

Thanks for the report. Is it just me, or does it seem like Jamar has been injured for most of the last 10 years.

Players sitting out of training for a few little niggles at this time of year doesn't worry me.

On tappy's note on JKH picking up the ball cleanly at speed, I also saw the same thing a couple of times last week.

He's so quick and clean, he ends up going himself because he's quicker off the mark than his teammate who needs to recognise what's going on and change gears again in a very short space of time. The blink of an eye really.

I'm quite excited about his ability. I didn't think he was this good before seeing him at the club.

In fact I thought his pick was a little boring and unlikely to bear fruit - now I think he's a steal.

I hope we start to see reward for effort, the players are working hard and one player that is pushing really hard is Jimmy Toumpas. This guy will be gem, I have seen a couple of training sessions and he is running with our elite runners, he covers a heap of ground through the drills, I just hope he gets the match day confidence through the Pre-season matches.