AFL Officials in Trouble

Redleg

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have changed my opinion on the players. they knew very well that they were involved in a dangerous game when they were briefed and signed the waivers. They were told at that time the were on the fence and as professionals should have taken responsibility for what went into their veins.

IMO they clearly were negligent in relying on Hird and co to advise them and should have made their own enquiries to ASADA.

They now deserve everything that Saad as had to cop, their situation is almost identical except the products were supplied through the club rather than through a retailer.

Hird is a self centred egotisical nasty peice of work and should be removed fro the AFL industry immediately as should Thompson, Little and anyone else at the Essendon FC who have presided over this tragedy.

I have to agree with that, the players must be collectively stupid if they didn't think there was at least something wrong with all this.

They had an obligation to at least establish what it was they were taking and query it with their Doctor, the Club Doctor, or ASADA. If it was all ok then why the waivers and why the off site injections, why the secrecy. You can't just blame collective ignorance this was doping on a major scale.

If they are found to have taken illegal substances they should be suspended and that would send a clear message to the rest of then competition that this won't be tolerated.

Agree, the Hirds behaviour is incredible. Everything they've done is about protecting themselves at any cost.

It's interesting that Mark Robinson DID NOT write the Mrs Hird story. I suspect this is to deflect from the obvious conclusion that James, who has been conspicuously silent publicy, has in fact been feeding the lapdog Robbo.

For James' sake Robbo can't be publicly seen to be so close to him that the missus has Robbo on the speed dial.

Essendon, the AFL, Demetriou and Fitzpatrick all deserve each other and there should be no sympathy or relief for any player involved. Like it or not, there is a strict liability code that applies to anti doping law and that applies to all players involved. The Essendon players are not without blame insofar as this is concerned.

Problem for Demetriou right from the start was that he knew that this could result in Essendon being suspended for two years (my understanding of the penalties if a team has multiple infractions). If Essendon is out of the comp, then as well as the obvious issues of Essendon fans being p!ssed, the impact on the reputation of the game etc etc., but the big one will be the TV rights being up for re-negotiation!

This should set the cat amongst the pigeons.

AFL suspends payments to Essendon over Hird 'pay'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-12/bombers-money-on-hold

Well played Hird camp. The AFL witholding money from the club, Hird's payments now in danger, club possibly to front the AFL Commission.

Surely silence was the way to go. Essendon getting on with business. Hird receiving $1m salary while on holidays.

Taking on City Hall is dangerous. I thing the AFL has just hit the "fed up" button.

Isn't it nice to be out of this sort of limelight!

Never pick a fight like this unless you are certain you will win, you may think you can but you better be sure.

How much has it cost EFC so far in legals.

Well played Hird camp. The AFL witholding money from the club, Hird's payments now in danger, club possibly to front the AFL Commission.

Surely silence was the way to go. Essendon getting on with business. Hird receiving $1m salary while on holidays.

I bet they are happy with Tania.

Boy weren't the HUN so lucky to have a journo passing by as Tania was getting the paper from the front lawn.

A couple of weeks ago I said that Hird / Essendon was pulling the tail of a big Tiger.

Seems the Tiger is showing its teeth.

IMO the big problem for Hird / Essendon is they must be sorely trying the patience of the other 17 clubs.

A number of which owe their very existence to the AFL.

If it comes to a fight between them and the AFL they might find they have few supporters among the other 17 clubs.

I bet they are happy with Tania.

Boy weren't the HUN so lucky to have a journo passing by as Tania was getting the paper from the front lawn.

I am sure it was just a coincidence Robbie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago I said that Hird / Essendon was pulling the tail of a big Tiger.

IMO the big problem for Hird / Essendon is they must be sorely trying the patience of the other 17 clubs.

If it comes to a fight between them and the AFL they might find they have few supporters among the other 17 clubs.

all 17 clubs would want Essendon de-registered

they are a disgrace to the game of Aussie Rules

This should set the cat amongst the pigeons.

AFL suspends payments to Essendon over Hird 'pay'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-12/bombers-money-on-hold

Excellent move by the AFL.

I haven't missed the like function until this topic. Some excellent posts and points made. Kudos to Sue, BB, WJ, 55 and Redleg. Some excellent points made.

One that a couple of people have made is that issue of AD being held to ransom over suggestions he gave the bombers the heads up about ASADA. As has been noted by others this is so strange given if true (which is denied) it would have been done to help the Bombers and the players (and of course the AFL itself). This betrays totally the agenda of Hird and his band of sympathizers.

The issue of governance is interesting in terms of the AFL but unless proof is uncovered that they have made secret deals i for one can't see any failure of governance. And at the risk of being accused of being a AD fan boy i can't see what he has done wrong apart from his massive ego and some intemperate and arrogant comments in the press. He is the CEO of a major organisation. His job is to run it. He reports to his board (the commission) not New ltd.

I suspect that therre is a marriage of convenience etween Hird and News Ltd. Both hate AD and want him gone. The recent (crap) article by Rebecca Wilson, a couple by Chip Le Grand and also Yobbo betray that the believe AD has been rude to them (yelling gets a few mentions, arrogant, dismissiveness). So what? This is perhaps poor interpersonal skills but it is up his board to manage that. So much of the attack against him seems to be about squaring things up. Which is not the job of a journalist. Stick to reporting the news not making ridiculous editorial calls (eg Ad MUST be sacked - please!)

Indeed and that salary could be paid by any number of business EFC has connections with an the AFL would not care one jolt.

I think that position has well and truly been reached.

For a suspended but still employed, Coach's wife, to call the AFL CEO a liar and state that the AFL has acted appallingly, is a declaration of war.

I recon Hird is getting what he wanted all aong a big fight that will end up in his day in court. If that happens all the backroom work done by the AFL (in the interests of the competion) will be aired in public an will do no one any good

Excellent move by the AFL.

I haven't missed the like function until this topic. Some excellent posts and points made. Kudos to Sue, BB, WJ, 55 and Redleg. Some excellent points made.

One that a couple of people have made is that issue of AD being held to ransom over suggestions he gave the bombers the heads up about ASADA. As has been noted by others this is so strange given if true (which is denied) it would have been done to help the Bombers and the players (and of course the AFL itself). This betrays totally the agenda of Hird and his band of sympathizers.

The issue of governance is interesting in terms of the AFL but unless proof is uncovered that they have made secret deals i for one can't see any failure of governance. And at the risk of being accused of being a AD fan boy i can't see what he has done wrong apart from his massive ego and some intemperate and arrogant comments in the press. He is the CEO of a major organisation. His job is to run it. He reports to his board (the commission) not New ltd.

I suspect that therre is a marriage of convenience etween Hird and News Ltd. Both hate AD and want him gone. The recent (crap) article by Rebecca Wilson, a couple by Chip Le Grand and also Yobbo betray that the believe AD has been rude to them (yelling gets a few mentions, arrogant, dismissiveness). So what? This is perhaps poor interpersonal skills but it is up his board to manage that. So much of the attack against him seems to be about squaring things up. Which is not the job of a journalist. Stick to reporting the news not making ridiculous editorial calls (eg Ad MUST be sacked - please!)

Like.

I recon Hird is getting what he wanted all aong a big fight that will end up in his day in court. If that happens all the backroom work done by the AFL (in the interests of the competion) will be aired in public an will do no one any good

BD I hope he has big pockets because he will take on someone who does.

The sad thing is forever more he will not be remembered as a Brownlow medal / Premiership winning Player.

But someone who bought the Essendon football Club to its knees and who will be vilified by 90% of the remaining AFL supporters.

Indeed and that salary could be paid by any number of business EFC has connections with an the AFL would not care one jolt.

I don't get this salary thing. If Hird is contracted for 2015/16 then why not just add the 2014 amount to that contract?

Essendon are playing a very dangerous game with the AFL and will have no support from the other clubs because this is about player welfare and drugs. Essendon don't seem to understand that.

I am taking bets on whether Hird will ever be installed as an AFL Legend. Anyone want to back him?

I will take that bet Redleg I just need to get some money back from the "edge"

I am sure it will be through in the next few days!

This Is appalling from the Hird camp. I say bring on a judicial enquiry to weed out all the insects in this pile of poo.

As for Hird and his advisors - Hirds reputation is now damaged forever and most of this is self inflicted.

The public want the truth however, does anyone truly believe Hird does not deserve punishment? Except blind loyal bombers supporters.