Leadership group and captaincy 2014

old55

Roos has favoured co-captains.

Captains: Grimes, Jones, Dawes

Leadership: Garland, Cross, Clark

I think 6 is a good number and this combo gives 2 per line.

Maybe it's a stretch to include Cross since he's been here 5 minutes but it's hard to leave him out and hard to replace him from our midfield set.

• Like 1

We just don't know.

Leadership Teams will set the parameters and the players will end up picking their leaders.

It could very well be what you think.

But I wouldn't like to guess at this stage.

Captain/s: Grimes and Jones

Vice-captain/s: Garland and Dawes

(Do deputies still exist?)

Deputy vice-captains: Frawley and Clark

And put Cross in the leadership group.

Skippers - Grimes and Jones

Vice - Garland

LG - Dawes, Clark, Cross, Frawley, Vince & Trengove

Ed: Trengove

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 2

We just don't know.

Leadership Teams will set the parameters and the players will end up picking their leaders.

I think i heard Roos say that the players would pick a leadership group and he, PJ, JM and the coaching staff would pick the captain(s) from that group. Which is how it should be.

I really disliked how Neeld took no responsibility for picking JT and JG as captains and put it all back on the players. It was doubly poor as he then used the fact that the 2 youngest blokes in the LG were the ones with the highest score against a range of criteria to highlight how poor the senior player were in terms of leadership.

In any case it was completely disingenuous as he no doubt crated the list of characteristics that players were scored against. Such a woeful example of man management. He should have had the courage of his convictions and named them as captains himself. Or if he had a clue not name them and make someone like Jones captain. But to justify their selection by saying the players had chosen them (which they didn't as they simply completed a questionnaire) was weak. Roos will show how it should be done.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

Captain: Jones

Vice Captain: Garland

Leadership: Frawley, Grimes, Clark, Dawes, Cross

You people are too afraid of upsetting Jack Grimes. He hasn't stood up on the park, it seems simple that he is replaced.

I am not 'afraid' - I disagree with you.

• Like 6

You people are too afraid of upsetting Jack Grimes. He hasn't stood up on the park, it seems simple that he is replaced.

That's a pretty closed minded view - people don't see it your way so it must be because they are afraid of upsetting him.

I don't think there's anything to be afraid of, anyway. Grimes doesn't strike me as the sort to get pissy over losing the captaincy.

• Like 3

Captains: Jones and Grimes

Rest of LG: Dawes, Clark, Cross, Frawley

Grimes has the communication and people management skills, Jones has the consistent effort and leads by example, good mix for onfield clarity, shame we don't have it in one person.

Prefer to keep the group to around 1/3 (7 as I have put) of the team instead of close to 1/2 (9 as we've had previously) for the sake of the "too many chiefs" theory.

Trengove can be a leader without having to be in the official group, let him fully focus on playing.

Captain: Jones Vice Captain: Garland Leadership: Frawley, Grimes, Clark, Dawes, Cross You people are too afraid of upsetting Jack Grimes. He hasn't stood up on the park, it seems simple that he is replaced.

I'm not sure it's a matter of people being afraid of 'upsetting' the guy. I think most people just genuinely believe that Grimes is actually a very capable leader. I can certainly see it.

He may not have gotten high numbers whilst playing midfield last year, but when you look at the reasons why, then it makes sense.

He was playing in the worst midfield within the AFL, he's played most of his AFL career so far as a fantastic intercept back flanker and he's had barely even one full AFL pre-season.

Jones is an exception for obvious reasons. He's been a full-time AFL midfielder for several years now, has benefitted hugely from having next to no injuries to date and is obviously reaping the rewards with his consistent form.

With the injection of Cross, Vince, Michie, Tyson and from what Roos has already alluded to, Grimes will go back to that backline general role where I reckon his leadership will really shine through. Whether he's Captain or vice, it won't matter. He's played his best footy back there and it's where he seems most at home. Garland and Grimes are fantastic leaders for our back six.

The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of having a number of 'leaders' or 'captains' as Sydney did back an 05. Roos has already spoken about that. Something like Grimes, Jones, Clark and perhaps one other to really drive the group forward. Once we're an actual cohesive footy team/unit playing some good football, then I can see one of our younger guys being given the Captaincy.

That makes most sense to me, but we'll soon see.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

We just don't know.

Thanks!

HFF, Not sure where you get you opinion on Grimes performance this year.

Aprat from a few quite game when he returned from injury he was consitently in the best for Melbourne with barely a single decent preseason in his time wit Melbourne. If you take out rounds 6, 15, 16 17 and 18 when is got injured or was retuning from injury with limited game time he averaged 21.4 for disposals and was in the top 10 for tackles in games where we lost by significant amounts. Jones in comparison averaged 23.1 disposals

Grimes is set to be an outstanding Captain of the melbourne Football Club over a long period of time and while Jones may be a great onfield leader he does not have smarts and communication skills that Grimes has. By all accounts Grimes is aleader on and off the field and while he obviously is still a work in progress he deserves the oppotunity to lead this club into the future. He has done a great job leading thos club through a couple of very difficult years and has dealt with things most Captains of the competition never have to deal with. Has the Captaincy hindered his development as player, maybe? but I think he is noe equipt to take this club forward and deserves the opportunity.

Nothing against Jones, he is a heart and soul player for the team and would be happy forn them to share the Captaincy but I would hate to see Grimes demoted right now. My picks

Captain - Grimes

VC - Jones, Garland

LG - Dawes, Frawley and Clark

• Like 1

Seems to be a common interpretation that because Trengove has relinquished the Captaincy he won't be in the LG at all.

Personally, I think for the benefit of his ongoing growth in effective leadership he should be in the LG. Sure, playing excellent footy is the number 1 priority but to be left out of any leadership responsibilities would be a shame given his obvious qualities.

• Like 2

I don't understand why some people want Dawes as captain or vice captain. Those that are in favour of this, could you please explain?

From what I've seen, he's rarely able to get on the field, and when he does he doesn't impact the game very much. Sure, he's intelligent and well-spoken, but a captain needs to be more than that, in my opinion.

Skippers - Grimes and Jones

Vice - Garland

LG - Dawes, Clark, Cross, Frawley, Vince & Trengove

Ed: Trengove

Exactly this, and I expect this is how it will look, with one or two surprises perhaps.

IF it was to be one captain, I'd have Jones Captain, Grimes as Vice, but this is unlikely given Roos history. I think in 05 he said they had SIX captains??

Roos has favoured co-captains.

Captains: Grimes, Jones, Dawes

Leadership: Garland, Cross, Clark

I think 6 is a good number and this combo gives 2 per line.

Maybe it's a stretch to include Cross since he's been here 5 minutes but it's hard to leave him out and hard to replace him from our midfield set.

Geeze it would be tough on Frawley to leave him out of the LG. Also wouldn't assist the cause of getting him to re-sign, not that it should be the determining factor.

I don't understand why some people want Dawes as captain or vice captain. Those that are in favour of this, could you please explain?

From what I've seen, he's rarely able to get on the field, and when he does he doesn't impact the game very much. Sure, he's intelligent and well-spoken, but a captain needs to be more than that, in my opinion.

I agree, GTG.

Great to have a person like that to be vocal and drive the standards but a role in the LG is all that is necessary imo.

Find me another player on our list who has history of leadership in different environments like Jack Grimes has:

Juniors:

-Captain of Vic Metro under 16s-Captain of Vic Metro under 18s-Captain of Northern Knights in the TAC Cup

-Won the "Ben Mitchell Medal for his leadership and role-model potential" while at the AFL/AIS academy

Under Bailey:

-He was elected to the leadership group in 2011 aafter only 3 years on the list and 26 games.

-He won the 2011 Club leadership award despite playing only 6 games for the season.

Under Neeld:

-He was made captain in 2012 after the players and coaches rated his leadership qualities

-He won the 2012 Club leadership award

He has repeatedly proven himself a man of outstanding leadership qualities.

Jones, on the other hand, only realised at the start of this season that he needed to encourage others and help them improve.

Further, I am not sure what you mean by "stood up on the park". As far as I can tell you are trying to pick the "best performed MFC player" not a captain. I'd argue that if anyone at the MFC was ever going to fly the flag for a team mate it would be Grimes, Dawes or Clark before Jones, who had a tenancy to walk away and let others sort it out.

Jones displays prowess at the game of football but until this season had rarely shown any leadership on the field.

• Like 2

I agree that some people seem to have been charmed by Dawesy :) The biggest cross against him is the first part, i.e. not getting on the field.

Certainly he has leadership qualities, but only when he can play 22 games and have a genuine, consistent influence should he be discussed as a captain option. For now it's premature to say the least.

Based on Roos' presser and the language he used when speaking about Grimes, I'll be very surprised if he is not at least one of the players with C next to his name in 2014.

I expect Jones to be there too but more because he will be there to lead by example.

Now that he seems to have had a leadership epiphany (I.e. suddenly realised he try to improve others as well) I hope that Roos and co can help yeah him to lead and develop those skills. He may never be a comfortable public face of leadership, but if he can learn how to use his great onfield example in a way that encourages and improves others, he could become a very strong leader for the club.

In many ways a humble reluctant leader will make a better than someone who has decided/told that they should/must lead even though they don't have the skills.

• Like 1

Seems to be a common interpretation that because Trengove has relinquished the Captaincy he won't be in the LG at all.

Personally, I think for the benefit of his ongoing growth in effective leadership he should be in the LG. Sure, playing excellent footy is the number 1 priority but to be left out of any leadership responsibilities would be a shame given his obvious qualities.

He will be there if the players see him there.

I think they would. We will see.