Private School boys with Oakleigh Chargers/ Sandy Dragons TAC background

DeeSpencer

Roos had tremendous success with guys from this background.

Sandy Dragons - Ted Richards (Xavier), Josh Kennedy (Xavier)

Oakleigh - Nick Smith (Scotch), Dan Hannebery (Xavs), Alex Johnson (Xavs)

Now we get Roos and his first 2 trades are Viv Michie (Wesley, Oakleigh) and Dom Tyson (Trinity, Oakleigh).

Don't be surprised if Jack Billings (Scotch/Oakleigh), Nathan Freeman (Haileybury/Sandringham) or Christian Salem (Brighton/Sandringham) of course Kelly would've been another to fit the criteria come our way in the draft. Look out for Will McGuiness (Scotch/Oakleigh) for a late pick

Anyway it might be all just coincidence but I think the Sydney recruiters have noticed in some ways that some of the private school kids don't fulfil their potential in under 18's as they have serious school commitments and school footy both of which take away from their under 18 focus. Compared to WA where the kids are finished school and often train for footy like professionals or take 1 or 2 uni subjects or pretty chilled part time jobs.

I also don't want to turn this into a private school kids are smarter and more dedicated thread because that's complete rubbish. But I certainly believe that Roos wants natural footballers who can play with high levels of discipline - hence Richards, Smith and Johnson being key parts of the swans backline. An increased focus on studies may help train that kind of discipline and ability to process on the footy field. Who knows, for every example I've listed theirs a Stefan Martin throwing a spanner in the works.

• Like 2

Roos had tremendous success with guys from this background.

Sandy Dragons - Ted Richards (Xavier), Josh Kennedy (Xavier)

Oakleigh - Nick Smith (Scotch), Dan Hannebery (Xavs), Alex Johnson (Xavs)

Now we get Roos and his first 2 trades are Viv Michie (Wesley, Oakleigh) and Dom Tyson (Trinity, Oakleigh).

Don't be surprised if Jack Billings (Scotch/Oakleigh), Nathan Freeman (Haileybury/Sandringham) or Christian Salem (Brighton/Sandringham) of course Kelly would've been another to fit the criteria come our way in the draft. Look out for Will McGuiness (Scotch/Oakleigh) for a late pick

Anyway it might be all just coincidence but I think the Sydney recruiters have noticed in some ways that some of the private school kids don't fulfil their potential in under 18's as they have serious school commitments and school footy both of which take away from their under 18 focus. Compared to WA where the kids are finished school and often train for footy like professionals or take 1 or 2 uni subjects or pretty chilled part time jobs.

I also don't want to turn this into a private school kids are smarter and more dedicated thread because that's complete rubbish. But I certainly believe that Roos wants natural footballers who can play with high levels of discipline - hence Richards, Smith and Johnson being key parts of the swans backline. An increased focus on studies may help train that kind of discipline and ability to process on the footy field. Who knows, for every example I've listed theirs a Stefan Martin throwing a spanner in the works.

I suppose Bontempelli from Marcellin falls in the rung below, the 'poor' school of the AGS.

• Like 1

I suppose Bontempelli from Marcellin falls in the rung below, the 'poor' school of the AGS.

Pretty much. Not much talent from Marcellin is there. Not like Shuey is a good player is he?

But I'm not sure Bontempelli is the right guy for us. He keeps growing! Up to over 194cm and that would be a big midfielder! And we've already got Watts as a big outside mid. Much more interested in clearance big body mids around 190cm.

Was Strauss from Oakleigh / Scotch College too?

Now all we need for Roosey to do is get Nick Smith on board too, to make it a jolly good show for the chaps.

(Mind you Dean Chiron and Campbell Brown aren't exactly stereotypical ex-Scotch boys, are they?)

Edited by monoccular

With threads like this no wonder people label us a 'silver-tail' team. Incidentally, some of us had a state school education, and amazingly, we still manage perform the basic functions of a citizen. It's also great that we can fulfil the menial roles in society and provide factory fodder for the 'better calibre' of people who contribute to this site.

Edited by btdemon
  • Like 1

With threads like this no wonder people label us a 'silver-tail' team. Incidentally, some of us had a state school education, and amazingly, we still manage perform the basic functions of a citizen. It's also great that we can fulfil the menial roles in society and provide factory fodder for the 'better calibre' of people who contribute to this site.

Did you read the thread or just the title?

In my opening post I made it very clear this isn't a private v state school thread, and most of the posts in this thread were either discussing the OP or taking the mickey out of private schools.

The point of the thread is simply to point out a trend in success of private school/TAC players from certain TAC teams that Roos has had success with.

• Like 3

Was Strauss from Oakleigh / Scotch College too?

Now all we need for Roosey to do is get Nick Smith on board too, to make it a jolly good show for the chaps.

(Mind you Dean Chiron and Campbell Brown aren't exactly stereotypical ex-Scotch boys, are they?)

Yep. Strauss was captain of Scotch.

I may be fairly ignorant on this topic but don't some of these private schools offer kids with footy talent scholarships in return for them playing for the school?

Maybe roosy thinks there is something about the private school footy experience that he rates?

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse
  • Like 1

You appear to be confusing the big business of private schools maximizing students scores with discipline & focus. Those schools have kids that are as sharp as marbles that miraculously score 95.

As you stated, for every Ted Richards there may be a Stef Martin. I am guessing there may even be four or five of them with varying degrees of discipline and intelligence.

I know my school offered scholarships to prospective AFL players and even ones that had been drafted. They don't have "sporting" scholarships anymore. It's simply "general excellence".

Edited by AdamFarr

I may be fairly ignorant on this topic but don't some of these private schools offer kids with footy talent scholarships in return for them playing for the school?

Maybe roosy thinks there is something about the private school footy experience that he rates?

Different with different schools. Caulfield have done it for years - hence Tom Bugg, Dylan Shiel, Chris Judd, Brendan Goddard.

Scotch did it only rarely up until about 2000 I think when they did it every now and then. Usually scholarships were given based on overall merit and circumstance ie. brilliant footballer (or footballer and cricketer in the case of Nick Smith) but also smart kid with good aptitude and from a background that would see his parents struggle with fees.

After 2000 Haileybury went on an arms race. Hence guys like Tom Lynch (Adel) and Tom Scully and plenty of others. They ended up winning some APS premierships with teams of kids brought in purely for footballing experience. It corresponded with the changes in private school funding that funded the schools based on the parents post codes. Therefore Haileybury with thier campus in Springvale Road managed to get a bunch of kids (Particularly chinese and indian background) who live in outer eastern suburbs that are not as affluent as the traditional suburbs from which APS school kids live in ie those around campuses in the Toorak, Brighton and Kew areas. That meant increased money for them so they thought of a way to funnel it into promoting the school and getting more students and what better way than to trumpet your football team.

The other APS schools responded to this increase in scholarships with Melbourne grammar getting in Tom Hawkins and Xavier Ellis. Scotch went down the Indigenous scholarship program (Cyril Rioli, Nathan Djerkirra, Liam Jones) and Grammar soon followed with this plan. Not a bad idea if you ask me because it serves as much needed cultural education to the rest of the students as well as Indigenous leadership and football development for both the kid and the school.

Anyway back to the question the kids do play school footy but the standard isn't up to TAC footy and the TAC coaches get quite upset - which itself is a joke because the kid has every right to play for his school if he chooses. I can't speak for every school but I know some how now gone for a balanced method where if the kid is a high likelihood of getting drafted he will now train much more with the TAC team than the school team and will play a mix of TAC and school footy until the championships and then the TAC finals. Which in a way is a shame as I know the kids love playing with their mates.

Also little known fact is the recruiters allow for a kid to be at boarding school to carry a few extra kilos than one at home. And when an out of shape Cyril Rioli had no interest in participating in draft combine drills some teams frowned upon it whilst the Hawks knew what a good hard preseason would do and what he could produce.

Edited by the master
  • Like 1

You appear to be confusing the big business of private schools maximizing students scores with discipline & focus. Those schools have kids that are as sharp as marbles that miraculously score 95.

As you stated, for every Ted Richards there may be a Stef Martin. I am guessing there may even be four or five of them with varying degrees of discipline and intelligence.

I'm certainly not saying you look at it as a positive attribute on it's own. But more you look into some of the kids who meet the profile and drill down and you can find what you want. Absolutely no surprise when you look at the profile on Teddy Richards - discarded by Essendon on his last chance at Sydney when he made it. Kennedy who got snubbed by the club his grandfather made relevant. Smith who was a late rookie pick up and talented cricketer who had to grind and grind to work on his skills and speed to even get a chance at Sydney. These aren't the kids with the silver spoons. These are the kids who saw what hard work and opportunity can create.

But I agree with your post except about it being miraculous that the kids score 95. Better overall gene pool, much higher spending on infrastructure and teaching and resources and the set up of scores, as you said it's a business. It would be a miracle if they failed.

Different with different schools. Caulfield have done it for years - hence Tom Bugg, Dylan Shiel, Chris Judd, Brendan Goddard.

Judd was at Caulfield from Year 7. He was a God-like figure for the school. Pretty sure he wasn't on scholarship. If he was, it could have been for general academic excellence too. Scored in the high 90s in his VCE. You're right about Bugg, Shiel and Goddard though. Andrew Walker and Brett Deledio are others. Not sure if Jack Ziebell was on one.

I'm certainly not saying you look at it as a positive attribute on it's own. But more you look into some of the kids who meet the profile and drill down and you can find what you want. Absolutely no surprise when you look at the profile on Teddy Richards - discarded by Essendon on his last chance at Sydney when he made it. Kennedy who got snubbed by the club his grandfather made relevant. Smith who was a late rookie pick up and talented cricketer who had to grind and grind to work on his skills and speed to even get a chance at Sydney. These aren't the kids with the silver spoons. These are the kids who saw what hard work and opportunity can create.

I agree. It's about identifying and assessing strong characters. I played cricket with Josh and footy against him. Couldn't meet a nicer guy. Not a trace of the spoilt silver spoon.

Yep. Strauss was captain of Scotch.

Captain of the Scotch First XVIII or Captain of the whole school (or both)?

If he was captain of the whole school I'd expect he's got talents beyond his footballing skills and may have strong leadership skills, too. Mind you, at this stage, I'd settle for an improvement in his footballing skills sufficient to see him a regular in our team.

• Like 1

If he was captain of the whole school I'd expect he's got talents beyond his footballing skills and may have strong leadership skills, too. Mind you, at this stage, I'd settle for an improvement in his footballing skills sufficient to see him a regular in our team.

I think he was captain of first 18 not of the school as I don't believe he was particular academic.

And both Watts and Dawes were at Brighton Grammar as regular school boys and not on "general excellence" scholarships!

I think both their fathers are old BGS boys.

• Like 3

Yeah, couldn't tell you, mate. I just know he was captain of the footy team.

He wasn't captain of either