Bombers after Sylvia

stuie

Sorry this article says player age and contact value and length to determine compensation.

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-free-agency-how-it-works-20121001-26ue3.html

there are 5 bands, the lowest is a third round pick. We will get more than that of we don't bring another FA in.

Looks to me like possible picks are 3, 17, 19, 35, or ~53. Subject to change based on other club's picks.

Can they award mid first round picks (10-12?) isn't that what the Saints got for Goddard?

If we could get something like pick 12 for Sylvia - that would be overs and definitely worth considering.

We could then make a play for Adams with that pick.

The problem lies with getting rid of one of the only experienced players. It would only further weaken our midfield aswell.

We desperately need to see improvement for the players and fans so for that reason I would say keep him. (unless we can get a pick like 12 and trade it for a better established midfielder)

Looks to me like possible picks are 3, 17, 19, 35, or ~53. Subject to change based on other club's picks.

Ok, so lets look at them one-by-one:

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 3? YES

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 17? YES (assuming our recruiting is now better than when we got Blease with this pick!)

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 19? YES (assuming our recruiting is now better than when we got Strauss with this pick!)

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 35? MAYBE? (assuming our recruiting is now better than when we got Bennell with this pick!)
Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 53? NO (mind you, we got McDonald with this pick!)
I'm interested to know, would people trade him for about pick 35?

Ok, so lets look at them one-by-one:

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 3? YES

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 17? YES (assuming our recruiting is now better than when we got Blease with this pick!)

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 19? YES (assuming our recruiting is now better than when we got Strauss with this pick!)

Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 35? MAYBE? (assuming our recruiting is now better than when we got Bennell with this pick!)
Would you trade Sylvia for Pick 53? NO (mind you, we got McDonald with this pick!)
I'm interested to know, would people trade him for about pick 35?

He's a free agent, so it's a moot point

• Like 3

I know but I was looking at the compensation we would get; therefore it is relevant

Completely dealing in hypotheticals. Dealing him for pick 35 cannot and will not ever happen so what's the point asking? We get what the AFL tells us we get. But like I said earlier, free agent compensation is a farce. Either have none (my preferred option) or go for the MLB type arrangement that gives the same compensation after a given set of rules has taken place, no matter who it is

Completely dealing in hypotheticals. Dealing him for pick 35 cannot and will not ever happen so what's the point asking? We get what the AFL tells us we get. But like I said earlier, free agent compensation is a farce. Either have none (my preferred option) or go for the MLB type arrangement that gives the same compensation after a given set of rules has taken place, no matter who it is

I think he meant that those picks where compensation possibilities according to the compensation rules.

Its obviously not a deal because we have no say in what compensation we get.

I like the fact that they base the value on club best and fairest and salary as it shows how important that player is to the club.

Some compensation is better than nothing - and in our circumstance (very poor/young list) the rules are in our favour.

Edited by Young Dee

I know but I was looking at the compensation we would get; therefore it is relevant

I knew what you were getting at and if we lose Sylvia i think the club will view anything coming back the other way as completely relevant.

My guess would be something in the 30's, 20s would be great and anything in the teens would be a massive win and would be inviting a lot of wtfs from other clubs.

That depends on how it is offset by any FAs we pick up ourselves.

He's a free agent, so it's a moot point

Not necessarily.

It may dictate how much effort you put into keeping Sylvia.

You may offer him contract terms of hypothetically $295K a year, because he's worth keeping at that rate, but you also know that if he leaves for more the band of compensation will be sufficient for you to get a good outcome.

I've been concerned that he would leave for the last month, but now that I see what band 3 compo is, I'm not sure it's such an issue.

We won't get band 1, but 2 or 3 would be palatable.

Sylvia has gone missing so much in the last few years, you'd swear he was injured more than the record shows.

• Like 1

If Col wants to walk away from being coached by Paul Roos he is a fool.

If we replace him with Heath Shaw that is a win in terms of what we put on the park.

I hope Col stays btw, but i don't think he will at this stage.

Probably equal in terms of IQ lost v gained

I'm really worried that the AFL still haven't figured out the loophole they've created with Free Agency, where recruiting a free agent is effectively gaining a draft selection for free (in list terms).

Essendon

+1 Goddard

+1 Sylvia

That's two top-5 draft picks, without having to make the development investment either. And next year? LeCras? Kade Simpson?

I don't think you've grasped the concept of Free Agency. I think the questionable part of AFL FA is granting draft picks for players lost - there's a good case for no compensation IMO.

I don't think you've grasped the concept of Free Agency. I think the questionable part of AFL FA is granting draft picks for players lost - there's a good case for no compensation IMO.

What is that good case? If you believe in equalisation, then the AFL handing out compensation helps weaker clubs who have their good players poached by rich clubs. It's not any restraint of trade because the compensation is independent of the deal between the FA player and his new club(*). Of course if you don't believe in equalisation, then it is another story.

(*) except in the extremely weak sense that the new club might not want to take the FA player if it knows that the club he is coming from might gain some benefit from the AFL. But compared to the other vagaries of the draw etc whereby the AFL advantages some clubs over others, this is not significant. For example, it is a similarly weak restraint of trade for a player to be discouraged from moving to us if the AFL gives us bad draws.

A team in 2014 with more spirit and confidence, several players taking the next step - hopefully - and some astute trading and drafting, along with our gun coach, may see a very different footy team. Col could be the perfect link man. He's a keeper for mine, unless luck would have it that we happen to get something for him, which as an UFA is not likely.

Messendon have very few options come this years circus. They are going to lose a few players they'd rather not and have not a lot to bargain with re picks, which leaves just the good ol' bags of money choice. They are going to have to pay overs to a point and this will suit Col as this is his last hurrah and Im sure he'll get more from the Tulla Desperados than he'll be offered from us.

Hes not playing finals with either of these choices but he gets more coin. he might also find it easier going there.

Messendon have very few options come this years circus. They are going to lose a few players they'd rather not and have not a lot to bargain with re picks, which leaves just the good ol' bags of money choice. They are going to have to pay overs to a point and this will suit Col as this is his last hurrah and Im sure he'll get more from the Tulla Desperados than he'll be offered from us.

Hes not playing finals with either of these choices but he gets more coin. he might also find it easier going there.

Regarding the words in bold above - is that true? Unless someone knows more about the ASADA investigation than we do (or you believe those who say the players are safe because of Essendon's mismanagement/paper shredder), isn't it a big risk for other clubs to take their players?

In fact you could imagine that if Essendon have seen the writing on the wall, they may be happy to dump to other clubs players who are about to be banned and start a rebuild with draft picks.

Who would want to go to Messendon?

They are about to crash in a big way soon.

At least there is Hope and Roos at Melbourne.

Oh well if he wants out let him as it gives us room for someone else who wants to wear the red and blue.

Regarding the words in bold above - is that true? Unless someone knows more about the ASADA investigation than we do (or you believe those who say the players are safe because of Essendon's mismanagement/paper shredder), isn't it a big risk for other clubs to take their players?

In fact you could imagine that if Essendon have seen the writing on the wall, they may be happy to dump to other clubs players who are about to be banned and start a rebuild with draft picks.

Sue I still think Messendon are in for all sorts of pain and I hope to god we steer clear but what other clubs do?? Well !! The Dogs are already into Crameri and I believe there are going to be a couple others putting hands up come closer to the silly season . This "we're all sticking fat rubbish " coming out of the hangar is just hopeful spin.

its going to be interesting for sure

From what I can gather Stkilda are chasing Myers. The only way thats likely to occur is if the Aints sweeten the pot with a pick or exchange of picks. Essendon desperate for picks. They have the money ( damnit those buggers lol ) to pay 100% so they can manouvre to offer a bit over to lure some to their naughty hangar.

The Bummer as expected havent delisted too many as yet.. Only Davis and Hinter

From what I can gather Stkilda are chasing Myers. The only way thats likely to occur is if the Aints sweeten the pot with a pick or exchange of picks. Essendon desperate for picks. They have the money ( damnit those buggers lol ) to pay 100% so they can manouvre to offer a bit over to lure some to their naughty hangar.

The Bummer as expected havent delisted too many as yet.. Only Davis and Hinter

I think every team has to delist a min. of three bb

But with the Bombers exclusion from the first two rounds of the draft I have no idea what that means to them.

Any idea?