Next domino to fall in Roos' quest for talent

TGR

I'm looking forward to when Sydney lose. Only then will we know the wants of current Sydney staff and players. Surely there will be one or two that are looking to either (a) return to Melbourne and/or (b) reunite with Roos.

The other thing is Freo Assistant Captain Kirk; we haven't heard too much about him. So a couple of dominos will fall after the last game of Sydney/Freo

sTGR

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to when Sydney lose. Only then will we know the wants of current Sydney staff and players. Surely there will be one or two that are looking to either (a) return to Melbourne and/or (b) reunite with Roos.

The other thing is Freo Assistant Captain Kirk; we haven't heard too much about him. So a couple of dominos will fall after the last game of Sydney/Freo

sTGR

To hard to guess so ill sit and wait. Both this weeks games will be crackers, so I'll be entertained plus I get to laugh at the Bombers....again.

Meh!

Do you have a wishlist ?

Doesn't matter what I think; but for what its worth there are a few Sydney Swans with Melbourne family. Nick Smith, and the Xavier Boys (Dan Han, JPK, Ted etc..) are a good start. Roos might get the "go home factor" brewing more from within. Who knows. As for staff, Roos would have some idea of the capabilities of Tudor (not my cup-of-tea), Dew and other less well-known.

Only 2 things really matter.

Who Roos thinks is worth getting; and who is willing to come across.

I get the feeling even if he doesn't get the job that Adam Simpson isn't ruled in or out at this stage for the senior assistant and therefore we have to wait until Hawthorn are knocked out for that to finalise.

Then regarding other assistants I'd say the current situation is:

Senior assistant: ?

Backline coach: Rawlings

Allison and Matthews for 2 of: Forwards, midfield and/or stoppage coach if senior assistant doesn't take both those responsibilities, development coaches (between 1-3).

So I'd say we have between 1 and 3 more appointments to make in assistant or development coaches. I'd be keen for George Stone as he's experienced and heads Sydney's very impressive development program

I'd also be keen for a young development coach who's fresh from another club either as a recent retiree or coach. It would just be good to provide a fresh view and someone younger as a guy who can be mentored up and join the senior assistants coaching panel when Roos leaves. Simon Black or Adam Selwood would be ideal.

• Like 1

As for the actual Swans list I can't see many of Roos' swans being too interested. I'm pretty sure most are contracted and if not are pretty settled in the best 22. They really don't have a lot of depth at the moment.

When I think of those unable to crack a game I think mainly of guys I'd have no interest in - Morton (who's retired), Tommy Walsh, Tony Armstrong. The young guys who haven't nailed a spot are Harry Cunningham and Jed Lamb. Lamb's from Victoria and has only managed 12 games in 3 years so he could be keen but I think Sydney still rate him. And the concern is if they don't it might mean he's another Veszpremi.

When I think of guys who have limited roles in the team I think of Parker, who's still pretty young or of Craig Bird who would certainly be a full time starting midfielder for us yet plays a lot of time forward, but he's a Wagga boy anyway.

In terms of guys missing out due to strong sides we'd almost be better looking to Hawthorn with Shane Savage and Mitch Hallahan or maybe Geelong. But both of them have some oldies who might be slowing down and might see an opportunity opening up soon.

• Like 1

You have remember that the Swans and Melbourne are very different in what they have and need

Getting want you want isnt always what you can get and getting Roos was a big statement for us as a club

I am happy to sit back and see what happens

I think we are being well led for a change

• Like 1

sTGR

You mean lose against Freo or begin to fall down the ladder?

Because everyone thought Geelong where finished after 2010

and by the way this thread title sounds like one of those negative Neeld threads

Edited by Young Dee

Barrett just reported that Brendan Lade is another that Roo's has been into. Also other clubs are thoroughly ticked off at the perceived benefits we are receiving courtesy of the AFL. Equalization is great, but some clubs deserve to be more equal than others, I suppose.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 1

Barrett just reported that Brendan Lade is another that Roo's has been into. Also other clubs are thoroughly ticked off at the perceived benefits we are receiving courtesy of the AFL. Equalization is great, but some clubs deserve to be more equal than others, I suppose.

Lade would be interesting. The stereotype of rucks being stupid isnt fair. Has a good midfield at Richmond with some underrated players.

I'd explain how the AFLs financial investment in Melbourne will help other clubs. It's really very simple. But I'm not sure it's Damian Barrett simple.

Draft picks are another question and Id understand clubs being [censored]. But I'd say if they don't use their powers now they surely never will

• Like 1

If only Morton was still on the list (never thought I'd write that).

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 2

I get the feeling even if he doesn't get the job that Adam Simpson isn't ruled in or out at this stage for the senior assistant and therefore we have to wait until Hawthorn are knocked out for that to finalise. Then regarding other assistants I'd say the current situation is:Senior assistant: ?Backline coach: RawlingsAllison and Matthews for 2 of: Forwards, midfield and/or stoppage coach if senior assistant doesn't take both those responsibilities, development coaches (between 1-3). So I'd say we have between 1 and 3 more appointments to make in assistant or development coaches. I'd be keen for George Stone as he's experienced and heads Sydney's very impressive development program I'd also be keen for a young development coach who's fresh from another club either as a recent retiree or coach. It would just be good to provide a fresh view and someone younger as a guy who can be mentored up and join the senior assistants coaching panel when Roos leaves. Simon Black or Adam Selwood would be ideal.

I've posted this before, but George Stone IS coming to the MFC. I can't tell you my source because of confidentiality reasons.

• Like 3

Other clubs are annoyed or Barrett is annoyed?

keep watching Stkilda, wouldn't be surprised if in 3-4 years they're in a similar position, will be interesting to see if the AFL helps them.

• Like 1

Equalisation is great, but it should also apply to areas that the rich and 'successful' clubs take for granted as being their domain.

For example look at the number of Friday night games in prime TV time given to Collingwood and Hawthorn.

Look at the small/non existent number of times 'top' clubs have to play at Geelong.

If you don't treat 'less successful' clubs equally then you have to take other measures to even up the competition.

In any case who could care less what other clubs think about our 'hand outs'. I prefer to call them 'compensation' for the way we are not treated in so many ways as equal to the 'top' teams.

• Like 2

Other clubs are annoyed or Barrett is annoyed?

keep watching Stkilda, wouldn't be surprised if in 3-4 years they're in a similar position, will be interesting to see if the AFL helps them.

If they keep getting rid of their senior players like they are now it could be a disaster. For them to put Dal Santo and Montagna up for trade is really worrying!
  • Like 1

aaarrgghh communism

forget everything,were on our way to the 8

so far on this site weve got

LADE

ADAMS

KIRK

WATTS

CROSS

VOSS MAYBE

WALSH

JOLLY

PP

2ND DRAFT PICK

3RD DRAFT PICK

AA BACKLINE

MARTIN

ZAHARAKIS

PLUS A FEW MORE GOING BY THE THREADS

SETTLE DOWN GIRLS were going for a ride but its going to bumpy and we could end up at the icecream shop

scott selwood

Edited by jazza

If they keep getting rid of their senior players like they are now it could be a disaster. For them to put Dal Santo and Montagna up for trade is really worrying!

it would see Scott Watters and Mark Neeld have alot in common, can't see Watters hanging around there long, it's going to be a slog

OTC last night:

Stuey Dew apparently applies for our main job....Swans have denied him this opportunity.

Roos didn't deny George Stone

More Swans to want to come here surely.

Nobody mentioning Kirk from Freo. Lets see what goes on next week.

The next dominos are Dayle Garlett and Dustin Martin .

Can't wait to se them all ripping up the town under the leadership of the other domino ,Col Sylvia.

Only then will our midfielders will finally get some attention from the media.

One way or another.

Look out King St.