Barrett...again...really?

Ted Lasso

Because a coach of his standing and reputation for bringing the best out of players surely affects the equation in terms of the degree of need. As far as good starts go, he's as good as it gets. I'm not saying it cancels out the need altogether, I just wondered if you gave it any thought. Apparently not.

You keep citing PJ's request, as a newly introduced CEO, as some kind of a lay down misere for the club deserving a PP. PJ's job is to make this club better. With the case for a PP based on performance, he would be almost remiss in his duties to not at least put forward the request. That does not automatically mean that the arguments against have no merit, or supporters who have reservations about it are "foolhardy". If you put so much emphasis on what PJ has stated, then he himself acknowledges publicly that the elephant in the room clouds the issue.

I'm not sure how you two are "peas in a pod" either, btw.

Here we go again with semantics - you say that Jackson would be remiss for not asking and then you criticise me for saying the same thing, and chiding me for implying the club would be remiss for not asking for the draft assistance. And fans would be foolhardy for not asking for it.

Jackson mentions the 'Elephant' and so do I, and then he dismisses it as irrelevant as our previous history with screwing up our draft picks.

Because a coach of his standing and reputation for bringing the best out of players surely affects the equation in terms of the degree of need. As far as good starts go, he's as good as it gets. I'm not saying it cancels out the need altogether, I just wondered if you gave it any thought. Apparently not.

How patronising.

And not to me.

To the club.

Of course the coach will make a massive difference.

But when has that been a point of reference for a priority pick? At Malthouses' Collingwood? At Rattens' Carlton? At Clarksons' Hawthorn?

No, only at the MFC is that taken into account because we should be grateful to have such a person descend to our level and agree to such a task.

• Like 2

I think Jackson embarrassed a few jounos at the press conference by hinting that they might like to do their homework. Also giving them a history lesson as to why we have a commission.

It was his second or third pre-emptive strike in the PR battle. Right now we're losing this one. I anticipate Jackson will be speaking on the PP topic in the very near future. And I'm sure Roos will follow soon after if not lead the assault. It's clearly something we've invested in and we won't back off now.

• Like 2

Here we go again with semantics - you say that Jackson would be remiss for not asking and then you criticise me for saying the same thing, and chiding me for implying the club would be remiss for not asking for the draft assistance. And fans would be foolhardy for not asking for it.

Jackson mentions the 'Elephant' and so do I, and then he dismisses it as irrelevant as our previous history with screwing up our draft picks.

Huh? Where did I say that? Nothing to do with semantics. Your line of argument the entire time has pretty much been that the club needs, deserves and should get draft assistance, and basically anyone who isn't in total agreement is an idiot. I have merely been more open minded in looking at the other sides of the argument. Certainly, I don't place as much importance on the acquiring of a priority pick as you do, especially in light of a Roos appointment with no doubt quality assistants to come, coupled with the club's history in treating high draft picks as the answer to its woes, but I'm also not criticising anyone for thinking there is a case for it, or it should be asked for.

This is what PJ said:

"The issue for us, to expose the elephant in the room, is what happened earlier this year with the tanking investigation. It's the sensitivity of it. We understand that. We get it. Unfortunately that may cloud the issue, but the reality of it, you do the investigation of this club's performance over the past 4 to 7 years, you'll agree I think there's a pretty powerful argument."

"We understand that. We get it." Not exactly the total dismissal you claim.

How patronising.

And not to me.

To the club.

Of course the coach will make a massive difference.

But when has that been a point of reference for a priority pick? At Malthouses' Collingwood? At Rattens' Carlton? At Clarksons' Hawthorn?

No, only at the MFC is that taken into account because we should be grateful to have such a person descend to our level and agree to such a task.

Your take on what i say is truly bizarre. Stop putting words in my mouth to suit what you're saying.

It is a point of reference because Roos is pretty much AFL funded and appointed, on a record salary. He is part of the assistance this club is receiving. Draft assistance would be in addition to that. It is also a point of reference because we are talking about how well placed this club is in becoming a competitive team.

Haven't read all the threads on this, so apologies if this is a repetition. Age poll on us getting a PP:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-clubs-united-in-opposition-to-melbourne-priority-pick-20130910-2th5k.html

Well guys - surprise surprise, all the other clubs are against getting another pick, the Age poll is against us, Eddie is against us, I guess the queen of sheeba is as well.

Get used to it. As we become more successful, as we will do over the next year or so, everyone who thinks they can get a leg up will focus on how unfair the AFL rescue mission was.

It is the old squeaky wheel syndrome.

We will know when we become a powerhouse when they argue about our game and not our club weakness. Oh and by the way, when you need to worry is when they are not talking about you ( because that means you are irrelevant) rather than when you are.suddenly, we are getting a lot of attention. Why? Because we are now a danger which needs to be eliminated by fair means or foul. Well that's a pleasant change!

Our aim should be to become untouchable and so strong that we cannot be intimidated.

hawthorn is the model. When the merger was mooted, they were strong on the field, but almost broke. They got out of that. We can too by innovative, disciplined and creative administration.

Once we become a viable, strong, and prosperous business, they will target how unfair our intimidatory forward line is, rather than whether they think they can push us over by buying our players, and pointing to our bank balance.

No one questions the right of Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn to exist,f but they do us.

It is up to us, with the short term help of the AFL to get out of it. And we will.

And sooner than we all think.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

No we don't deserve one, yes we should get one. Of course the other clubs will say "no way"........... what else are they going to say?

Simply it is terrible for the game to have a team completely uncompetitive, season after season. Statistically over the last 2 seasons Melbourne has been the worst team since Fitzroy in 1994 & 1995. In other words a 1 in 20 year event. I would have thought if ever a PP should be given it should be in this instance.............. otherwise the rule should be scrapped all together.

Despite Roos Melbourne will win the wooden spoon next season. We will however improve, GWS will improve dramatically and the likelihood is we will again be along way behind the rest of the competition. For the strength and good of the competition the difference between the bottom and the top teams must narrow dramatically. After 7 years at the bottom of the ladder, interest in the Dees is at rock bottom, the supporter base is drifting, we are reliant on welfare on and off the field. It is in the AFLs best interest to help us become competitive as quick as possible, to get us off life support and so we can become independent, strong and proud once more. Another season like the last two would almost finish us off. In dollar terms a PP will save the AFL significantly. It will also be to the financial advantage of every other club. Who wants to watch a smashing?

The AFL must take care of its competition and in particular the minors or we will end up with a EPL situation. No body wants to see this. Another season of little hope and less than 4 wins will be another dagger to the completion and our club....... despite Roos. Hope needs to be restored. When you take the rose coloured glasses off, the reality of our list in the broad daylight is horrifying.

I urge the AFL to present the MFC with #1 PP, for the good of the completion. Despite what we want to dream, realistically Melbourne is years away from challenging for the top 8. Getting smashed week in, week out is bad for everyone who loves AFL.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 3

So... Rumours around that we WOULD get a priority pick, at the same time as rumours of Roos coming, but well before Roos confirmed are to be ignored...

But fresh rumours in the last week based on Hutchy & Barret's hunches, that we WILL NOT get a priority pick, should be taken as gospel..?

Well, considering they were ALL OVER the Roos thing...

How about this:

can anyone name any club that has ever received a priority pick and deserved it?

Ok, since no one can come up with a decent answer to this question, I'll take it a step further and ask another:

Can anyone name any club that has ever received a priority pick and needed it?

The concept of need is highly subjective in this instance.

It all centres on what purpose you may need it for.

If the aim is to be a contender for a premiership in the next 5 years, we do need it.

So what are WE or the AFL aiming to achieve here?

If the aim is pure survival as a club, and maybe a chance to scrape into the 8 in the next 5 years, then we should achieve that without a PP.

But just aiming for survival will not achieve anything.

Support will continue to dwindle as faint hope isn't enough.

The club may survive for some time, but the fans won't be able to.

And that will lead to some conclusion for the club that I'd rather not contemplate.

KY4PObU.png

This fantastic MS Paint job could also be applied to all the supporters that believe the MFC is where it is because of a few bad eggs in the FD that couldn’t develop players and that it has nothing at all to do with a club culture eroded by the pursuit of Priority Picks :)

The reasons dont matter.

Fact is we have won 35odd games in 7 years including only 5 in the last 2, with 3 of those 5 wins against expansion teams and the other two by a combined total of 9points (if memory serves me correctly).

New coach, new board, old board, whatever, all totally irrelevant.

• Like 1

If the aim is pure survival as a club, and maybe a chance to scrape into the 8 in the next 5 years, then we should achieve that without a PP.

But just aiming for survival will not achieve anything.

Support will continue to dwindle as faint hope isn't enough.

The club may survive for some time, but the fans won't be able to.

And that will lead to some conclusion for the club that I'd rather not contemplate.

What a crock, it is this mentality as to why the MFC has been a rabble so long.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"

There's no reason why we can't challenge for top 4 within 5 years if we get our footy department and recruiting sorted. We don't need the PP for that, one 18 year old kid won't make or break this club.

For a club whose stereotype is of being from the establishment/top end of town it truly surprises me how many on here seem to think welfare is the only way to survive.

• Like 4

The arguement that our culture is bad therefore we dont deserve a pick is ridiculous.

A team with a better culture wins more games and deserves one? Makes no sense

You could just as easily say that the argument that a culture that has been eroded by the pursuit of Priority Picks can be improved by the provision of another Priority Pick is ridiculous.