Hogan Vs Daniher Vs Boyd Vs Patton

PartyTimeJohnny

Somebody needs to remind these people that in real life, people don't have video game stats. This is footy, not a game of Dungeons & Dragons or FIFA 13.

See pokemon posts above :P

Could have gone D&D but surely more people would get the pokemon reference.

I read Jack Viney plays pokemon too (seriously). I bet his whole team is full of rock-types that can't be one-hit.

The next time I play, I'm naming my Geodude 'Viney'.

Brendan Lade must have used a good 'roar' when this happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwtwII83oE

Never get tired of this video.

• Like 1

Ok. Let me preface this with the fact that I 'do not necessarily' want to trade Hogan.

Now, lets say Roos puts the heat on Hogan early about his intentions and thoughts on heading back west at the end of his contract and puts it to him that he could be negotiated in a trade if so.

In the rumour/trade thread there is talk of Luke Shuey and Scott Selwood. Both Victorians.

If we get PP1 this could be the scenario, instantly give our midfield a lift and keep our 1st round picks in the process.

Trade Hogan + 2nd or 3rd rounder for Shuey & S. Selwood.

PP1 - Boyd

Pick 3 Aish

Etc. Etc.

Would hate to lose Hogan though. This hypothetical is only if he asks to go home.

Edited by DeeMfc
  • Like 1

Nowhere in the manual to "Build a Great Culture" is the chapter "Trading the 18 year old Star fans already love"

I honestly think we have been so bereft of good, sound decisions these last 7 years that MFC fans wouldn't know one if we landed one in a mini-draft.

• Like 6

Ok. Let me preface this with the fact that I 'do not necessarily' want to trade Hogan.

Now, lets say Roos puts the heat on Hogan early about his intentions and thoughts on heading back west at the end of his contract and puts it to him that he could be negotiated in a trade if so.

In the rumour/trade thread there is talk of Luke Shuey and Scott Selwood. Both Victorians.

If we get PP1 this could be the scenario, instantly give our midfield a lift and keep our 1st round picks in the process.

Trade Hogan + 2nd or 3rd rounder for Shuey & S. Selwood.

PP1 - Boyd

Pick 3 Aish

Etc. Etc.

Would hate to lose Hogan though.

Why would you trade Hogan and then draft Boyd? Why not just trade pick 3. Also not to mention West Coast who have Darling and Kennedy would much prefer to keep their 2 best CONTRACTED young midfielders. Pick 3 for either Shuey or Selwood if they wanted to come home makes a lot more sense for all parties.

Also Hogan's home sickness now is irrelevant. We need to at least wait until the end of next year when he's had the chance to play at MCG, most likely under Paul Roos with big crowds and kicking goals. That's much more likely to make him feel like sticking around than playing out at Casey

Edited by the master
  • Like 1

The scoring for leadership seems somewhat bizarre. Gary Ablett Sr would have been marked down on this score as would have Gary Ablett Jr when he was an 18-20 year old and I suspect Dustin Fletcher, Robert Harvey and other introverted players. So we wouldn't pick any of them because of this? Such nonsense.

• Like 2

The real intangible with Hogan is his aggression and competitiveness.

You simply can't buy it, and it makes all the difference.

Agreed.

My initial post was simply intended to see what peoples thoughts were if Hogan wanted to go back west and to get the best from this crucial trade/draft period for us.

This is truly our last double dip into the base of the pot if we get PP1

Edited by DeeMfc

The scoring for leadership seems somewhat bizarre. Gary Ablett Sr would have been marked down on this score as would have Gary Ablett Jr when he was an 18-20 year old and I suspect Dustin Fletcher, Robert Harvey and other introverted players. So we wouldn't pick any of them because of this? Such nonsense.

Agree with this and also that your best leaders dont have to be the best players. Id prefer a KPF to have aggression, good hands and swagger rather than leadership especially with guys like Dawes and Clark to learn from.

• Like 1

Nowhere in the manual to "Build a Great Culture" is the chapter "Trading the 18 year old Star fans already love"

I honestly think we have been so bereft of good, sound decisions these last 7 years that MFC fans wouldn't know one if we landed one in a mini-draft.

Once again I agree wholeheartedly.

People are misunderstanding my initial post and taking it completely out of context.

Its only if Hogan flagged an interest to go home.

Edited by DeeMfc

How would he go as a key back?

When you have the fierce aggression for the one on one contest, speed and agility Hogan has I would say he would go pretty well.

Certainly has versatility.

Disposal by foot would be the main concern early on but Frawley is testament that this can be rectified over time.

Leave him in the forward line unless critically needed down back would be my thoughts.

Once again I agree wholeheartedly.

People are misunderstanding my initial post and taking it completely out of context.

Its only if Hogan flagged an interest to go home.

I understand, but only MFC supporters are worried about how to trade him, every other supporter's furrowed brow is concerned with how to trade for him.

At some point we are going to have to be confident with keeping and developing the good players we have.

I understand, but only MFC supporters are worried about how to trade him, every other supporter's furrowed brow is concerned with how to trade for him.

At some point we are going to have to be confident with keeping and developing the good players we have.

I think that will change for most supporters with Roos at the helm.

Disagree. Booting 60 goals isn't as hard as you think when the ball is getting kicked almost exclusively to you

It is when the opposition know its coming to Cameron and double and triple team the contest.

In a side like GWS that rarely goes inside 50, his performance is top shelf.

• Like 1

If we somehow end up with pick 1, I would hope we get Boyd, get Aish or Freeman with pick 3 and rely of Roos' ability to attract a couple of experienced top class mids during the trade/free agency period. We keep Hogan and play him in 2014, while giving Boyd a season in the VFL.

Reasoning:

- Clark is no guarantee to have fully recovered and it is unlikely to be known until well after the draft; what do we do if he has a relapse?

- Dawes has been injury prone and cannot be guaranteed to be on the field for a full season.

- It makes sense to have someone like Boyd who could come in and partner Hogan and Watts if necessary.

• Like 3

After reading the argument in the article above and reviewing the comparisons I am absolutely committed to us taking Boyd if we get PP1 and retaining Hogan. To have the best two young forwards in the AFL entering our team in the one year will be an exciting start for us in 2014, particularly with Roos coming on board as coach. (The return of Clark & Dawes are bonuses). It should not only attract a raft of sponsors and boost membership but it will also serve to attract top-level midfielders to Melbourne, filling our biggest gap. Also we should be able to acheive that through pick 3, our second round pick, salary cap flexibility and astute trading and not have to resort to trading Watts, Frawley, Garland or any other of our key players. I was in the minority that picked the Dees to acheive a top 8 finish as early as next year under Roos and i have a feeling that it will indeed prove to be the case.

For those still doubting having Hogan and Boyd (c.f. Hogan or Boyd) in the one team, rember Hawthorn when they drafted Roughhead and Franklin in the one year. it doesn't seem to have effected their preformance grabbing the top two power forwards!

p.s. For the statisticians who post that Franklin and Roughead weren't drafted in the one year, I stand to be corrected but i am siure that it was not far apart.

Edited by CBDees