Paul Chapman

PartyTimeJohnny

I don't think Pods will go. They need him imo, especially while Hawkins is so sore & so reluctant to play sore. but they have many young mids they could lose if they don't open the opportunities to them.

I know Pods looked blunt the other night, & he looked slow, but the other areas are of more immediate urgency to transition their Mids. they don't want to majke the mistake of making too many changes in every department weakening all areas at once.

I suspect they'll retire 3 of the 4 older guys, starting with Hunt.

there is >

Corey Enright - 32Yrs

Paul Chapman - 31Yrs

Joel Corey - 31Yrs

Josh Hunt - 31Yrs

----------------------

Steve Johnson - 30Yrs

Really don't think Enright will be moving on anytime soon. Still plays top shelf footy, All aus this year for the 4th time in the last 5 seasons. He is very much capable of another 3, maybe even more years of good football.

Old , injury prone, not huge, not quick , best footy behind him. We could end up with Byrnes, Chapman and Pederson all doing a good job for us at Casey if we are not careful. Lets not jump at every bloke getting cut from a list just yet.

He's been a great player but don't we want an "A" Grader who's going to be with us for a while? Someone like Sloan.

He's in the same boat as Cross IMO and if they had high contribution levels left they will/ would have been kept by their clubs.

Whilst we may need experienced players, how about we raise our sights ,we don't want to become a retirement home.

You do have a good point however Chappy is a big step up from Byrnes, he is a champion.

He would add a lot more than Byrnes and Pedo have but you are right, we do have to ensure we don't overload with close-to-done senior players.

You do have a good point however Chappy is a big step up from Byrnes, he is a champion.

He would add a lot more than Byrnes and Pedo have but you are right, we do have to ensure we don't overload with close-to-done senior players.

We made the mistake of delisting many of our 'senior' players over the past 3 or 4 years.

There are not enough mature role models for the new players to slot alongside.

Youngsters drafted to the club are expected to take the place of those delisted and perform as seasoned veterans.

At more successful clubs players like Jack Viney would be developed slowly but surely with the guidance of star players. At MFC he is expected to be a star player.

The same could be said of Jimmy Toumpas. It is unfair to have these immediately high expectation of the kids.

For this reason the recruitment of 2 or 3 senior players considered to be on the way out at other clubs might be a useful ploy by which to 'ease in' the young newcomers. Paul Chapman comes to mind, as does Cross from the Bulldogs. Heath Shaw would be another to consider.

I would expect to see that Paul Roos has made/is making contact with a raft of these players.

Edited by corowa
  • Like 2

Really don't think Enright will be moving on anytime soon. Still plays top shelf footy, All aus this year for the 4th time in the last 5 seasons. He is very much capable of another 3, maybe even more years of good football.

thats why I put them all in. not as recruit options, but as the list from which they'll delist, so they can keep their highly touted youngsters.

I don't know which ones they'll push, other than feel sure about hunt.

I think we need 2 high quality men for 2 yrs, to aid with our Culture, & the development of Viney & Toumpas, Hogan, etc. I don't think we could do better in this regard than a Chappy, or one from the Swans.

We made the mistake of delisting many of our 'senior' players over the past 3 or 4 years.

There are not enough mature role models for the new players to slot alongside.

Youngsters drafted to the club are expected to take the place of those delisted and perform as seasoned veterans.

At more successful clubs players like Jack Viney would be developed slowly but surely with the guidance of star players. At MFC he is expected to be a star player.

The same could be said of Jimmy Toumpas. It is unfair to have these immediately high expectation of the kids.

For this reason the recruitment of 2 or 3 senior players considered to be on the way out at other clubs might be a useful ploy by which to 'ease in' the young newcomers. Paul Chapman comes to mind, as does Cross from the Bulldogs. Heath Shaw would be another to consider.

I would expect to see that Paul Roos has made/is making contact with a raft of these players.

Yep, except pardon me for passing on Heath.

its the primo culture we want.

Well today's article seems to confirm that he will be playing elsewhere than Geelong next year. I have no problems in Chappy as a short-term project along with Cross, especially if we can pull it off with no compensation.

• Like 2

Well today's article seems to confirm that he will be playing elsewhere than Geelong next year. I have no problems in Chappy as a short-term project along with Cross, especially if we can pull it off with no compensation.

Yep would love him for two years not expecting him to play every week but if we could get 15 or so games from him it would be worthwhile, a far better option than Byrnes or Rodan. Maybe a bit of hammy trouble but if managed properly he would be a great teacher to our younger kids.

We are heavy into Cross though. Can we get 2 FA's? And even if we can, do we want 2 30+ year olds on our list at this stage??

Get Paul Chapman. I think Byrnes will last 1 more year and not sure why we got a VFL player as a free agent. Chapman is AFL high standard. and tough !!!

chappy yes.

I think we need 2 elders.

would love to have a shot for Sewell, for but he's probably wanted.

chappy forward & rotating thru the mids.

Sewell in the mids with Viney.

Chappy and Cross? I don't think the club will go down that path. And of course he/they would want to come to us!

Let's face it - one our many deficiencies is lack of experience and a Chapman will help us even the keel a bit while our younger players develop and also help them.

As long as the cost isn't too great I'm happy to add Chapman and Cross to the list - it will improve us overnight (although we'll cop lots of criticism from the naysayers and the usual suspects in the media).

• Like 3

As far as Chappy is concerned regardless of the amount of Time he spent on the field his mere presence would motivate many of out younger players and as a mentor they wouldn't come any better , the Bonus to me would be the mount of times he could be on the field

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-25/it-hurts-says-chappy

"GEELONG veteran Paul Chapman is prepared to consider moving interstate to keep his career alive if he is delisted by the Cats.

The three-time premiership player, who is out of contract, is in limbo while the club completes a review of its list.

He desperately wants to stay at Geelong for another year, although AFL.com.au understands that such a deal is highly unlikely.

"To be a one-club player would be awesome," Chapman told reporters during the Cats' end of season party on Wednesday.

"But to play for another club … I'm not saying that may not happen if things don't work out here."

Chapman is unclear when he will meet coach Chris Scott to discuss his future.

"It's a good question," he said. "I'd like to know. Let's get it over and done with.

"I just need to get this meeting with Scotty over and done with first, and see where I stand in their eyes, and then work from there.

"Whatever the future holds, I need to start preparing as soon as possible.

"Hopefully it's here, but who really knows. It's all up in the air."

After playing 251 games for Geelong over 14 seasons, Chapman is struggling to cope with the possibility that his time at the club might be over.

"It hurts. It really does," he said. "I suppose you take it a little bit for granted.

"You just think that things will just happen and roll along and then things like this get thrown at you. It's a little challenge."

The 31-year-old says he will consider offers from any clubs, including those outside Victoria.

"I feel like I've got a lot to give," he said. "The fire still burns, and I want to be more successful than what I've been

If we can get him we would be stupid not to !

"I feel like I've got a lot to give," he said. "The fire still burns, and I want to be more successful than what I've been

Even if he can teach that to our young players he would be valuable

Cross would also be great from the reports of his training ethos

Both could help this club with its plethora of unfulfilled talent

We now have the coach with a similar desire to achieve more success and enhance an already premier reputation

• Like 1

I'm not worried about the "pensioner" thing myself. List management is constantly evolving and, now that free agency has taken hold and is better understood, clubs are poised for a much different recruiting landscape that prevailed even two years ago.

We've already shed eight players with delistings and retirements and I can see some more to come in the month ahead. I expect the total turnover of our list to number around 12 which means we should be able to include a mix of different players of varying ages coming from different places.

The list under Roos will be vastly different to what we had at the end of the Bailey reign just two years ago.

• Like 4

I'm not worried about the "pensioner" thing myself. List management is constantly evolving and, now that free agency has taken hold and is better understood, clubs are poised for a much different recruiting landscape that prevailed even two years ago.

We've already shed eight players with delistings and retirements and I can see some more to come in the month ahead. I expect the total turnover of our list to number around 12 which means we should be able to include a mix of different players of varying ages coming from different places.

The list under Roos will be vastly different to what we had at the end of the Bailey reign just two years ago.

I use this term a bit but let me clarify my thinking on it. If a player is 28 plus, I would classify him a pensioner in footy terms and unless he is Fletcher or Harvey he will have limited time at the top level.

If you are a team with a shot at the Premiership then you look at pensioners to fix shortfalls in the list e.g.: Hawthorn with Lake this year and North now looking at DelSanto. These types will cost either in money and/or picks but they can get you over the line.

If you have a list like ours we need to get some quality experience but can't afford to be giving up too much in the way of picks or trade. It cancels us out of some players (Delsanto, Montagna etc) but we still have the option of looking at someone like Chappy. Bringing in Byrnes and Roden didn't add much, if we are going to bring in pensioners they must be the right guys on and off ground.

If we are going to look at picks and trade then we need to be targeting players around 22-25yo. We can't afford to give up too much on pensioners until we have a legitimate shot at the prize.

• Like 1