• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Magner - Why can't he get a gig

Deez

Magner - 51 possessions on the weekend. I know it was against the bendigo gold but 51 pos is fantastic no matter the opposition. Most weeks he has above 30 possessions. Often has high numbers of hard ball gets, high number of tackles, clearances. From reports last season, he was first to arrive at the club every morning always doing that extra bit.

I have mentioned this before, but if we are after mongrel players, magner has that.

On paper, Magner and viney doing a lot of the grunt work, jones, trengove, toump, grimes and the like doing most of the outside run work with jordie tagging actually looks pretty reasonable.

Of course i dont think magnet will solve all our problems, but I think magner and viney should be trialled together for a number of weeks. not that theres long left.

Thoughts?

• Like 5

If he doesn't come in this week, considering his performance and the three injuries, I might have to leave a steaming turd on the doorstep of the MFC offices.

• Like 5

In fact, with his VFL stats each week, it seems ridiculous that he cannot get a start in the worst midfield in the comp.

Yes RB it beggars belief that he cannot get a game.

Obviously has no photos of anyone!

He would be a massive help for nathan jones and jack viney. Just another big body to bust through packs and create a contest. But like others i am absolutely gobsmack how they continue to play blokes likes Byrnes Blease and even Jack Watts ahead of this bloke..

• Like 2

He would be a massive help for nathan jones and jack viney. Just another big body to bust through packs and create a contest. But like others i am absolutely gobsmack how they continue to play blokes likes Byrnes Blease and even Jack Watts ahead of this bloke..

It would make sense to me that Magner be given a try in the team. It's not as though he'd be taking the place of a more deserving mid-fielder. He should have been tried out weeks ago.

Neil Craig would have a large say in this, I would expect. If this is the case, and he's not prepared to reward someone with good VFL form, then I would expect that we probably need to appoint a different senior coach for next year.

• Like 4

Turns it over with poor disposal.

If he was creative, made good decisions, and executed delivery he'd be playing. The fact that he struggles to get a game in arguably the worst midfield in history should probably tell you something.

Surely the fact he has a big body, can find the ball and extract it from clearances puts him ahead of at least half a dozen players who played for us on the weekend.

Would allow Sylvia to play more outside where he can be more damaging with his skills.

Yeh Colin, could be anything, a few years development.

• Like 3

Look it is obvious Magner is just an inside mid who hunts the ball and can get it out, that's all. He might get first touch 30 times but so what. His kicking is not elite, nor is his speed, or goal kicking for that matter. Now we have any number of players who can....ummh, arr. Oh I better ring Neil he knows the reason. I'll get back with the answer.

• Like 2

Dunno, got me stuffed. Would have thought the more exposure at the higher level the better he may get.

• Like 2

Surely the fact he has a big body, can find the ball and extract it from clearances puts him ahead of at least half a dozen players who played for us on the weekend.

Replacing crap with crap wouldn't make any difference, other than supporters think the club is trying stuff.

Know what I mean ?

Given our illustrious position what exactly is wrong with trying things ( people) ??

Obviously lacks speed and also doesn't seem able to impact AFL with endurance either ie. doesn't rack up uncontested disposals at AFL level.

The first Freo game we got belted when Magner played. This time we went for Jones, Viney, McKenzie, Sylvia predominately with also Grimes and Trengove as the inside midfielders. Put Magner in and you take one of those guys out. Now I'd be happy for Grimes to go back to half back or for Sylvia to play half forward and rotate in to the midfield to give Magner 2 weeks just to see what he can do but I don't hold high hopes.

The big questions are:

1. Do you ever think Magner will be AFL standard?

2. Will playing Magner make an impact on the scoreboard ie. will he perform any better than Viney, McKenzie, Sylvia or Grimes do in the midfield

If your answer to both those questions is NO then you wouldn't play him if he had 100 possessions. Same for Rodan.

To slow - from the horses mouth.

which horse Buckpasser ?

Given our illustrious position what exactly is wrong with trying things ( people) ??

In some ways we are even less wise to try things when we need every opportunity to work on the basics ie. best players in the best positions kind of thing. I think that would be Craig's philosophy.