Foundation Heroes Dinner

Grandson of a gun

Just wondering if any of those who attended could share how the night went with the rest of us. Hope it was a good night for both the attendees and the club itself.

(Apologies if updates had been posted elsewhere)

I posted some very general observations on the match preview thread - THE TIME MACHINE but I'd like to hear from others as to their impressions.

A few snippets I heard were that James Frawley and Chris Dawes will probably miss again this week but will be available for the Adelaide game. There's a bit of a feeling that we've turned the corner and much regret that we couldn't beat Gold Coast when we had them on toast. The feeling is that Mitch Clark who is already back in training will be right for a full and productive season in 2014.

The qualification rules for VFL finals are different this year and, unlike in the past, we should have good numbers eligible for the finals and give the flag a shake.

There's a fair bit of optimism about next year (yes, we've heard it all before) with a new president, new coach and the likely influx of new players starting with Jesse Hogan whose possible role was described by one player as being similar to Matty Pavlich at Freo.

The move certainly wasn't jovial but the sense is that we're quietly moving forward.

• Like 13

There's a fair bit of optimism about next year (yes, we've heard it all before) with a new president, new coach and the likely influx of new players starting with Jesse Hogan whose possible role was described by one player as being similar to Matty Pavlich at Freo.

You know you're going badly when there's a fair bit of optimism about getting a new coach and president prior to knowing who they'll actually be. Add me into the 'optimistic' group

• Like 1

bit like chucking in most of your hand and just keeping an Ace lol

Except we don't have an Ace.

Jesse says hi...Viney, Nate and a few others too lol

There are a couple of gems, just not much around them.

We do however live entirely in hope !!

• Like 1

I suppose if we dont take the stance of optimism we might as well just take that one more step back and plummet off into the abyss.

All things equal we ought to start getting somewhere.... got this strange sense of deja vu ... :rolleyes::)

• Like 1

Im tempering my optimism though.. We might just climb out of the bottom 4 ...might I repeat ..lol

( Ive learnt..Im slow I know )

To climb out of the bottom 4 you need to find four teams to end up below us. I can see two possibilities in St Kilda and GWS. Who else?

well Messendon with 0 points would be one :)

• Like 3

Yep, I'm with you. I'm optimistic for next year, and no doubt there'll be people talking about us as top 4 chances after reading the preseason training reports. For once, though, I plan to be realistic with my optimism and not base it on reports of Dan Nicholson hitting targets laces out, and Jack Trengove leading the group and looking fitter than ever.

I think that if we have another year like this year, it will spell the end of the MFC.

Next season will be the first in four years when I aren't heard saying "Well at least we know one thing for sure. We can't be as bad as last year." I've put that one away.

• Like 3

Next season will be the first in four years when I aren't heard saying "Well at least we know one thing for sure. We can't be as bad as last year." I've put that one away.

Very wise. As a betting man given our form in terms of terrible years i'd lay short odds on the possibility of having a worse year next year than one we're currently having

Im tempering my optimism though.. We might just climb out of the bottom 4 ...might I repeat ..lol

( Ive learnt..Im slow I know )

I will behappy if we finish 15th with five wins and we are in the news for having four younger players drafted in last two arrive as good players.

• Like 1

I have to say, it's a hard gig for all concerned doing a FH dinner with the season we have had. Peter Jackson was blunt and articulate, and comes across as others have previously said as impressive and ruthless. He said something along the lines that we need to rebuild our brand. He made the comment that for too long, we have focused on logos and history as a way to build our brand, and the brand had to be built around nothing but winning games of football and being uncompromising in all decisions we make to ensure that we never compromise winning games of football. He said that we have rested on the laurels of the draft, and thought that early draft picks meant success, but we have to get far more ruthless about player development. I think the quote was that there are 3 key priorities at MFC: 1. Player Development, 2. Player Development, 3. Player Development.

PJ also spoke about getting the fabric back into the club, and specifically mentioned Junior. So maybe he will come back! Here's hoping.

My other observation is that compared to previous years, the players who are the leaders amongst the boys present as a very professional bunch of driven young men. I am very impressed by the calibre of person we have, having spoken for some time to Bail, Gawn, Frawley, Grimes, Dawes, N Jones and Howe.

The final thing I would add is that looking at the donor list, we are very lucky that the board members who recently resigned have been extremely generous towards the club. They are not alone, but just given the stick they cop on here, I thought I should note it. Don McLardy accepted an award for his service, and he just clearly loves the club unconditionally and gives a lot of support. Karen Hayes was also recognised for an immense contribution.

• Like 26