Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

I have more of a problem with the AFL than Essendon. Why? There will always be cheats around. It might be Essendon today, someone else tomorrow, but de-personalise it and you'll realise there will always be someone,

The AFL can complain all they like about being politically forced into using WADA - there were enough people around at the time WADA was chosen to raise concerns and they were ignored.

I agree the AFL should have kept out of it - you can thank the egotistical AD for not doing so. Had he not go so involved and the AFL not played the media war with Hird .. I can't help but believe the course of events would not be where they are now. By playing the dirty media game, they brought the game down, just like Hird did.

AD did everything that he could not to end up in the stand in a court of law and in the end will still end up there. Even if Essendon are playing the 'legal technicality' game, it's not as bad as someone that goes out of their way to avoid the law of the land like AD has. It simply would have been far better for everyone if this had been dealt with in the courts last year and everyone could have moved on.

Even if Essendon lose the first battle in court, it looks to be a chance in hell of actually coming up with enough evidence to link the chain of suppliers to convict them. I wish they could be convicted, but there have been clowns running the investigation from the beginning.

You are not going to convince people who look at the situation from the perspective of the players involved and not the interests of the wider sporting community which needs laws put into place to help stamp out the drug cheats.

I have more of a problem with the AFL than Essendon. Why? There will always be cheats around. It might be Essendon today, someone else tomorrow, but de-personalise it and you'll realise there will always be someone,

The AFL can complain all they like about being politically forced into using WADA - there were enough people around at the time WADA was chosen to raise concerns and they were ignored.

I agree the AFL should have kept out of it - you can thank the egotistical AD for not doing so. Had he not go so involved and the AFL not played the media war with Hird .. I can't help but believe the course of events would not be where they are now. By playing the dirty media game, they brought the game down, just like Hird did.

AD did everything that he could not to end up in the stand in a court of law and in the end will still end up there. Even if Essendon are playing the 'legal technicality' game, it's not as bad as someone that goes out of their way to avoid the law of the land like AD has. It simply would have been far better for everyone if this had been dealt with in the courts last year and everyone could have moved on.

Even if Essendon lose the first battle in court, it looks to be a chance in hell of actually coming up with enough evidence to link the chain of suppliers to convict them. I wish they could be convicted, but there have been clowns running the investigation from the beginning.

For all of the mud slinging towards ASADA I am yet to see any substance behind any of it. They've been cleared of leaking information, nothing has become of the supposed 'deal' with the AFL and they have kept out of the AFL and EFC politics. All of this following the former Minister for Sport's announcement which made what should have been a relatively unknown investigation into the most public sporting scandal in decades.

ASADA deserve public support for their perseverance, professionalism and diligence.

• Like 5

Might be just me....and it is awfully hard to tell, but that little bloke didnt seem too happy today

like a wheel just fell off his cart ( manure) ..:)

Jacques Tird was unable to attend due to study commitments in France. To return to OZ on the 28th of July. The day after the Tour de France finishes.

Ah....Jacques Merde just wants to keep up with the latest developments of how teams try to do "whatever it takes" with regards to getting away with doping.

You have no idea. The AFL receive upwards of $100m a yr in stadium developments, grants etc from the federal government. If you think that they would turn that down and refuse to comply with WADA rules (like most major sports in the world) you are being foolish.

The AFL in reality had no choice.

As for your statement the AFL should have kept out of it. Really, do you think before posting?

• Like 3

You have no idea. The AFL receive upwards of $100m a yr in stadium developments, grants etc from the federal government. If you think that they would turn that down and refuse to comply with WADA rules (like most major sports in the world) you are being foolish.

The AFL in reality had no choice.

As for your statement the AFL should have kept out of it. Really, do you think before posting?

i think the AFL have been pretty fair in all this.

They have 17 other teams to worry about as well.

WADA will give the final verdict.

The AFL were unable to say nothing.

They are involved.

Mid third quarter 5 goal turn around - WTF did they take at half time????? Must have been "the good stuff"!

Stupidly I watched today's proceedings at court. The centre of this saga is missing the vital ingredient that is THE TRUTH!

What is the truth?

Will the truth ever come out?

Essendon don't want the truth to come out.

The AFL don't want the truth to come out .

Meanwhile lawyers make lots of money trying to shut out the truth!

The public are treated like fools.

• Like 1

I think the Bombers had a reasonable day in court despite not getting up with their claim for injunctive relief. They and Hird are clearly angling for a sight of ASADA's documentation but remember, the discovery will only go to matters of substance relevant to their application to have the investigation declared ultra vires. I don't think it was a good day for the players with show cause notices - they remain on edge until late in the season and run the risk of lay offs well into 2015 and possibly to the end of 2016 and ASADA wants them to be joined as parties to this action which would involve them in being named publicly, possibly expose them to costs and having to give evidence. Their counsel says they don't want to be joined. The EFC is also gunning for the AFL and "integrity" manager Clothier who looks like he may have some uncomfortable times ahead. I still believe that's all sizzle and that sometime later this year sanctions will be imposed on some players and the Bombers will have some difficult times ahead.

The past decade has not been kind to some of the great sporting clubs of our time. Leaving out the cycling outfits which aren't really clubs, I think of Italy's Juventus (match fixing) and the Scottish FA Glasgow Rangers (insolvency) and wonder if Essendon's next on the list.

Stupidly I watched today's proceedings at court. The centre of this saga is missing the vital ingredient that is THE TRUTH!

What is the truth?

the one thing it keeps coming back to in my mind is, if the bombers were innocent, they'd simply respond to the show cause notices.

• Like 1

I think the Bombers had a reasonable day in court despite not getting up with their claim for injunctive relief. They and Hird are clearly angling for a sight of ASADA's documentation but remember, the discovery will only go to matters of substance relevant to their application to have the investigation declared ultra vires. I don't think it was a good day for the players with show cause notices - they remain on edge until late in the season and run the risk of lay offs well into 2015 and possibly to the end of 2016 and ASADA wants them to be joined as parties to this action which would involve them in being named publicly, possibly expose them to costs and having to give evidence. Their counsel says they don't want to be joined. The EFC is also gunning for the AFL and "integrity" manager Clothier who looks like he may have some uncomfortable times ahead. I still believe that's all sizzle and that sometime later this year sanctions will be imposed on some players and the Bombers will have some difficult times ahead.

The past decade has not been kind to some of the great sporting clubs of our time. Leaving out the cycling outfits which aren't really clubs, I think of Italy's Juventus (match fixing) and the Scottish FA Glasgow Rangers (insolvency) and wonder if Essendon's next on the list.

Today was a nil all draw opening game.

I think the Bombers had a reasonable day in court despite not getting up with their claim for injunctive relief.

I'd bow to your better judgement WJ.

Prior to that I was going off the @TitusOReily final point of summation: "I didn’t hear the Essendon theme song at the end so I assume they lost".

• Like 2

i think the AFL have been pretty fair in all this.

They have 17 other teams to worry about as well.

WADA will give the final verdict.

The AFL were unable to say nothing.

They are involved.

This is a sensible post. AD made good point that he didnt stick the needle into the players but also admitted he'd heard enough innuendo re EFC that the AFL should have done more to prevent what happened. Ultimately the AFL need an 18 team competition and to grow the sport, unfortunately EFC are willing to ruin the game for everyone if they don't get to play.

What is the truth?

Your expectations of the court system, particularly in the civil jurisdiction, appear to be misguided, if you expect the truth to be part of the outcome.

The civil court system is primarily about whose highly paid lawyer finds the most loopholes in the other side's case and presents it in the most eloquent manner. It is lawyer vs lawyer, not truth vs fiction.

What is the truth?

Welcome to the world of the courtroom Soidee.

If you watched the telecast you would have seen and heard a judge and a few barristers speaking about procedural matters and in doing so, not that it matters much in that instance, they're all bound to be truthful and I reckon that all of them told the truth. But you would have also noticed that none of them had to pick up a bible or make an affirmation which obliged them to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. That sort of thing will come when witnesses start giving evidence but looking at the array of potential witnesses in these proceedings and on what I read about them on twitter, if you're looking for the "truth" I suggest you try the cartoon channel. :)

• Like 2

Welcome to the world of the courtroom Soidee.

If you watched the telecast you would have seen and heard a judge and a few barristers speaking about procedural matters and in doing so, not that it matters much in that instance, they're all bound to be truthful and I reckon that all of them told the truth. But you would have also noticed that none of them had to pick up a bible or make an affirmation which obliged them to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. That sort of thing will come when witnesses start giving evidence but looking at the array of potential witnesses in these proceedings and on what I read about them on twitter, if you're looking for the "truth" I suggest you try the cartoon channel. :)

Yes WJ - I can see the cartoon headline, The adventures of Paul Little and Tonto Hird! Haha

Yes WJ - I can see the cartoon headline, The adventures of Paul Little and Tonto Hird! Haha

I was thinking more of 'The Wacky Races', which made more sense than a lot of the events in this saga ... :blink:

• Like 2

I was thinking more of 'The Wacky Races', which made more sense than a lot of the events in this saga ... :blink:

So is penelope pitstop=gill?

The cavemen =vlad?

The anthill mob=essendon?

Great to watch them lose a close one last night.

The beers in manila went down very well.

Brendan Goddard even punched one of his own players.

At the end. Not one player looked Paul Little in the eye...

Lonely little man.

So is penelope pitstop=gill?

The cavemen =vlad?

The anthill mob=essendon?

Sounds good. I am thinking more of the idea that there are lots of people zipping around spending a lot of energy going nowhere while making a lot of noise and avoiding everything ... :blink:

Sounds good. I am thinking more of the idea that there are lots of people zipping around spending a lot of energy going nowhere while making a lot of noise and avoiding everything ... :blink:

The manila traffic jam i am stuck in right now!! :)