Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Beautifully summarised - why do ASADA persecute poor innocent Jimmy?

That's the problem cyclops (is that ok?). There is far too much attention paid to the big picture and not enough to the smoke and mirrors.

It's a sunny day in France, hardly a cloud in the sky, but young Lord Jimmy is 10,427 miles away, deep in thought.

That evil Darth Demetriou has conspired against young, innocent, sweet, talented Lord Jimmy and Jimmy won't stand for it. "Time to launch the countermeasures"' barked Lord Jimmy.

So all over the land smoke and mirrors were deployed, with zealots posted to operate them. "Oh the subterfuge", sniggered Lord Jimmy as he rubbed his hands together in glee, for he could afford the best mirrors and smoke in the land, and he was not afraid to use them.

• Like 3

There are two aspects to this - there is the a club who administered the taking of banned substances to their players with their limited or no knowledge at all. The club administrators and coach are culpable for this.

The AFL have fined and punished the club for the administration of this program.

The second aspect is now the WADA/ASADA part of this. There has been a lot of comment about the way this has been handled. WJ - do you think there is a possibility that there will be no further punishment to the players or the club - NOT because of their guilt or innocence but because of procedural irregularities ? This is what Essendon seem to be fighting this on ?

Edited by nutbean

That's the problem cyclops (is that ok?). There is far too much attention paid to the big picture and not enough to the smoke and mirrors.

It's a sunny day in France, hardly a cloud in the sky, but young Lord Jimmy is 10,427 miles away, deep in thought.

That evil Darth Demetriou has conspired against young, innocent, sweet, talented Lord Jimmy and Jimmy won't stand for it. "Time to launch the countermeasures"' barked Lord Jimmy.

So all over the land smoke and mirrors were deployed, with zealots posted to operate them. "Oh the subterfuge", sniggered Lord Jimmy as he rubbed his hands together in glee, for he could afford the best mirrors and smoke in the land, and he was not afraid to use them.

ManDee, that's a much more enjoyable summary of events to date. Why can't the other media outlets cover the story as well as you?

There are two aspects to this - there is the a club who administered the taking of banned substances to their players with their limited or no knowledge at all. The club administrators and coach are culpable for this.

The AFL have fined and punished the club for the administration of this program.

The second aspect is now the WADA/ASADA part of this. There has been a lot of comment about the way this has been handled. WJ - do you think there is a possibility that there will be no further punishment to the players or the club - NOT because of their guilt or innocence but because of procedural irregularities ? This is what Essendon seem to be fighting this on ?

More to the point, lack of administration of the program.

very likely.

But they dont seem to understand ( for mine ) that theres any number of ways that WADA/ASADA will work in with what ever sport is under investigation. That, and essentially as I see it all and sundry have signed up to allow WADA to do what it bloody likes within reason and all this 'technicality' rubbish is just that, irrelevant.

A case of all rods lead to Rome, doesnt matter which one's taken as WADA control all of them.

(edit... OK All ROADS and Cuisenaire lead to Rome...... first the white, then red, then light green , pink yellow dark green black brown blue and orange... kinda sad I know that....fond memories of those little

wooden sticks though . Cuisenaire and Lego....subliminal Maths tutors :) )

Edited by beelzebub

very likely.

But they dont seem to understand ( for mine ) that theres any number of ways that WADA/ASADA will work in with what ever sport is under investigation. That, and essentially as I see it all and sundry have signed up to allow WADA to do what it bloody likes within reason and all this 'technicality' rubbish is just that, irrelevant.

A case of all rods lead to Rome, doesnt matter which one's taken as WADA control all of them.

Thought I was back doing cuisenaire at primary school.

But the point is valid, WADA wrote the rule book, the players agreed. WADA will win.

• Like 1

very likely.

It seems that some people feel that despite having agreed to be subject to certain processes as part of belonging to a particular group, in this case the clubs agreeing to be subject to AFL rules and regulations, and the AFL having agreed to be subject to ASADA and WADA, they should have a right to renege on these processes as and when they like?

Arrogance or delusion? Or a bit of both?

And your last line re where all roads lead - you forgot that one lead to Paris, at least for someone. Maybe he is confused and deluded still?

• Like 1

Thought I was back doing cuisenaire at primary school.

But the point is valid, WADA wrote the rule book, the players agreed. WADA will win.

if process was not followed as Essendon and some journo's are angling at then Wada may not win. It will be interesting indeed. No it wont - it will be tedious and drawn out and it wish it would all be over.

if process was not followed as Essendon and some journo's are angling at then Wada may not win. It will be interesting indeed. No it wont - it will be tedious and drawn out and it wish it would all be over.

I sense that the relevant process was followed at the appropriate time for the specific causality.

What are they trying to suggest. Anti Dopers only get one shot , one peek at whats going on ?

EFC and that contemptable one are wildly flaying with knives in the hope of hitting something.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if they went back and read the rules and the code to which that art participant that essentially theyre screwed. But they probably have and do and are just trying to build a new road.

Not all the evidence was gathered using the questionable process.

I think I heard McDevitt say that more evidence has been gathered since the cessation of the AFL joint investigation than during. And that he thought the later evidence should be enough.

Edit: McDevitt not Devitt

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1

I actually think that Essendon is simply barking up the wrong tree

also a bit like the fools who cross a railway line after one train has passed only to get smacked by one coming the other way.

Ironic though that much of their hopes rest on the notion that they now somehow understand the rules better than those who wrote them !!! :huh:

When i was a kid{never thought id say that} a bummer was a person who didnt buy cigarettes,but instead bummed them off other people.

Didn't realise your memory went back that far ... :blink:

Just heard another classic example of Opposite Speak.

Ian Prendergast, head of the AFL players association, said that reducing the Free Agency time from 8 to 6 years "would be good for the weak clubs."

Nor did he offer any evidence to support his claim.

• Like 1

Yes the Depression is a seriously long time ago R and B

the Depression...isnt that the time between premierships !!

Ian Prendergast, head of the AFL players association, said that reducing the Free Agency time from 8 to 6 years "would be good for the weak clubs."

This is the players union speaking ignore him

It is like expecting the Coaches to improve the look of the game.

Don't tell him that BB as it will only upset him.

think you misunderstood him

he meant "would be good for the weak clubs' players."

• Like 1

In '1984' (ironically an Essendon premiership year) George Orwell defined "doublethink" to mean, "to tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed..."

I think there's a lot of doublethink going on here...I'm just not sure who is doing the most doublethinking. Is it the EFC, the AFL, ASADA, Dank, Alavi, various assorted sports reporters or all of the above?

Doublethink lets them off the hook. It is less "doublethink" and more "doubletalk". The usual voices covering the backsides at EFC, AFL and ASADA (I haven't heard much from Dank and Alavi) know what they are saying.

I wonder if it Demetriou realises that he leaves behind an organisation whose every public utterance is assumed to be a lie.

very likely.

It seems that some people feel that despite having agreed to be subject to certain processes as part of belonging to a particular group, in this case the clubs agreeing to be subject to AFL rules and regulations, and the AFL having agreed to be subject to ASADA and WADA, they should have a right to renege on these processes as and when they like?

Arrogance or delusion? Or a bit of both?

And your last line re where all roads lead - you forgot that one lead to Paris, at least for someone. Maybe he is confused and deluded still?

Yes the Depression is a seriously long time ago R and B

Ah but the Demons won flags back then? THAT wasn't depressing.