The James Aish Thread

This kid is rated as the clear number 2 at the moment. I have to admit that his size is an issue for me. We have had too many skinny kids in recent years and look set to pick up Stretch next year who looks to be a bit of a beanpole too.

So I did a bit of looking around at some old phantom drafts to compare to others his size when drafted.

CALLAN WARD 184cm 73kg Now - 185cm / 83kg

Will Hoskin-Elliot 186cm, 73kg Now- 186cm /76kg

Chad Wingard 182cm, 77kg Now - 182cm / 78kg

Devon Smith - 175cm, 76kg Now 174cm / 76kg

Hamish Hartlett- 182cm, 74kg Now - 185cm / 83kg

Stephen Coniglio / 182cm / 76kg Now - 182cm / 81kg

Sam Blease - Midfielder - 183cm, 72kg Now - 184cm / 77kg

Stephen Hill - Midfielder - 182cm, 72kg Now - 182cm / 82kg

Jake Melksham 182cm / 70kg Now - 186cm / 84kg

Dan Hannebery - Midfielder - 182cm, 75kg Now 181cm / 81kg

David Zaharakis - Midfielder - 180cm, 73kg Now 185cm / 85kg

Tom Scully - Midfielder - 182cm / 74kg Now - 181cm / 78kg

Ryan Bastinac 183cm / 74kg Now - 184cm / 84kg

Lachie Whitfield - 184cm / 74kg Now - 187cm / 75kg

Verdict: His size wont matter if he is good enough.

Scully has shrunk? Haha

From the boys at the Mad Monday Show:

James Aish (Norwood) Seniors

It was great to watch James run around after Norwoods bye week, and despite Norwoods dissapointing result he showed us why he is one of the most elite ball-users in this years draft class. All of his 23 touches in the game were all class, and showed his pure gut-running and structural awareness all over the round, providing rebounds as well as inside-50′s for his club. Has truly come back to his best footy, also kicking 3 goals in what was a true B.O.G performance. The Melbourne recruiting staff would be licking their lips at the chance to have both him and Jack Viney in the same midfield!

Stats: 19 kicks 4 handballs 23 disposals 8 marks 2 tackles 3 goals

Postscript I don't know what they mean about Norwood's "dissapointing result" (sic) as the Redlegs beat Sturt easily 9.12.66 to 2.8.20.

• Like 4

Yeah, he'll fit right in at St Kilda.

There is a fair chance we'll pick up at least 1 game on the way home - most likely 2.

St Kilda won't pick up any.

Good point. Though If we pick up 1 game and St Kilda don't win any we'll still remain below them as we will never catch them on percentage.

Having said that a winning culture comes first, one player doesn't make a 'team'.

Win at all costs from here on in.

Scully has shrunk? Haha

Maybe he physically became a smaller man after looking at big Jim in the eye and lying (OK, I hold onto things too long). Looks like Dan Hannebury has been on the anti growth serum too.

It’s perhaps too early to draw anything from the figures relating to the boys drafted by GWS, but interesting to note the differences in weight put on by the boys in Sam Blease’s draft year in comparison with him.

I always viewed Blease and Hill as similar types, and was hopeful that Sammy would develop into the player the Hill has become. They were almost identical when drafted, but now Hill (who is no Hercules) has out on 10kgs to Sammy’s 5kg in the 5 years since. Bastinac’s put on 9 in one less year. Probably best to ignore the samples from Essendon for now…

Whilst this is a small sample, I suspect that this is reflective of our recent development programs I comparison to other clubs.

Hamish Hartlett- 182cm, 74kg Now - 185cm / 83kg

Sam Blease - Midfielder - 183cm, 72kg Now - 184cm / 77kg

Stephen Hill - Midfielder - 182cm, 72kg Now - 182cm / 82kg

Jake Melksham 182cm / 70kg Now - 186cm / 84kg

David Zaharakis - Midfielder - 180cm, 73kg Now 185cm / 85kg

Ryan Bastinac 183cm / 74kg Now - 184cm / 84kg

As a young fella in the mid to late 70's i was much more interested in the SANFL than i am now and loved the redlegs (and port Melbourne in the VFA for that matter). There was a certain mystique then about the SANFL, prior to the the AFL being formed and taking the best young players. There were many players that made their name in Adelaide before coming to Melbourne as established players, some as stars of the game. Cornes and Egbert being two examples.

My favorite player in the SANFL was Michael Aish but unfortunately he never came to the VFL. I was desperate for him to come to the dees and for years there was talk he might. What a dream that would have been - Flower on one wing and Aish on the other. I reckon he was Flower's equal. A beautiful mover, who oozed skill and class.

Now we have a chance to get his son and i really hope this time we get our man.

• Like 1

Good point. Though If we pick up 1 game and St Kilda don't win any we'll still remain below them as we will never catch them on percentage.

Having said that a winning culture comes first, one player doesn't make a 'team'.

Win at all costs from here on in.

Great post and something we need to adhere to from here on in

I was a bit dubious about him based on his efforts in the U18 carnival this year.

But if reports of his display on weekend for Norwood seniors are correct he is now fully recovered from his shoulder surgery and back to his best and would be the obvious choice for our No.2 pick - assuming we don't slip back to No.3.

Have a look at his highlights - he is very light still but looks to have a thumping kick and good leg speed.

• Like 1

As a young fella in the mid to late 70's i was much more interested in the SANFL than i am now and loved the redlegs (and port Melbourne in the VFA for that matter). There was a certain mystique then about the SANFL, prior to the the AFL being formed and taking the best young players. There were many players that made their name in Adelaide before coming to Melbourne as established players, some as stars of the game. Cornes and Egbert being two examples.

My favorite player in the SANFL was Micheal Aish but unfortunately he never came to the VFL. I was desperate for him to come to the dees and for years there was talk he might. What a dream that would have been - Flower on one wing and Aish on the other. I reckon he was Flower's equal. A beautiful mover, who oozed skill and class.

Now we have a chance to get his son and i really hope this time we get our man.

Michael is James' uncle.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/aish-up-for-any-challenge-20130416-2hydn.html

We will have a midfield full of South Australian's if we pick him. Toumpas, Trengove, Aish, Viney(grew up in S.A.). And then if we get Billy Stretch the year after.

In addition to Terlich, who was a premiership teammate of Aish at Norwood last year, and Clisby, who had been playing for North Adelaide.

Oh, i thought it was his son. Still i'd take that connection - man from unlce

I keep hearing that his dad was still a very good footballer who would have made a bigger name for himself if he didn't choose career over football.

Dan Hannebery - Midfielder - 182cm, 75kg Now 181cm / 81kg

Verdict: His size wont matter if he is good enough.

Size never matters if you're good enough.

And Dan Hannebery, who was always known as a tough junior and brilliant endurance runner, also shows that size is no impediment to "head over the ball" contested footy if you are made of the right stuff.

I sometimes wonder what our recruiters were doing when they were watching these kids run around.

And Dan Hannebery, who was always known as a tough junior and brilliant endurance runner, also shows that size is no impediment to "head over the ball" contested footy if you are made of the right stuff.

I sometimes wonder what our recruiters were doing when they were watching these kids run around.

Not watching to closely I would have thought.

I totally agree- you think they just went off stats and interviews?

There would be no substitute than getting to a game and watching live. Obviously this is hard with hundreds of names, but the top 20 are usually playing in the sanfl, wafl or tac cup and pretty accessible.

James Aish has again been named in Norwood's best players - Redlegs survive a scare against West Adelaide at Parade.

You can watch a replay on Thursday at 2.30am (I'm setting the IQ to have a look).

Stats: 14 kicks 8 handballs 7 marks 2 handballs 1 point.

From what I've seen Aish is more of an outside player, more in the Toumpas mould who will take a bit of time to get up to speed with the increased tempo of the game.

We also badly need some hard in and under mids who can get the ball out of the middle which is where the AFL can step in with some draft assistance, without which we will remain a problematic member of the competition for some time yet.

Incidentally, despite being involved in some controversy earlier this year, Nathan Bassett would merit a close look for an assistant's position with an eye to a more senior role at some time in the future.

I am reading plenty about class and ball use, but not much about ability to win his own contested footy.

Surely it is plain for everyone to see at the club, that unless we are able to win the footy in the first instance, forwards and outside mids will have little relevance in our team.

The only time we have a chance of truly controlling the ball ATM is when we are kicking out from a behind....

• Like 1

Is it too cynical to not rate how young players go in the SANFL after what we have seen from Trengove and Toumpas so far at AFL level?

Well, I always think that they play with a group of older, experienced players that take the share if the load.

A much better situation than the one the find themselves at the Dees...

But these kids have never been further away from being physically ready for the AFL.

All theses comments make me wonder why Magner is only playing at Casey.

He seemed to perform ok but it was reported that neeld and others(???Craig ) thought he was too slow and tried to develop more run and defensive skill???

If he can get the ball 30 and give it to Toumpas etc maybe we could overcome 2 problems

Is Couch a heavier more experienced body worth a go can we rotate these older harder guys with the younger boys to get some mid field presence and give our forwards a bit more of the ball????

I am reading plenty about class and ball use, but not much about ability to win his own contested footy.Surely it is plain for everyone to see at the club, that unless we are able to win the footy in the first instance, forwards and outside mids will have little relevance in our team.The only time we have a chance of truly controlling the ball ATM is when we are kicking out from a behind....

Does win his own ball.

Is it too cynical to not rate how young players go in the SANFL after what we have seen from Trengove and Toumpas so far at AFL level?

Well, I always think that they play with a group of older, experienced players that take the share if the load.

A much better situation than the one the find themselves at the Dees...

But these kids have never been further away from being physically ready for the AFL.

Funny you should mention this. I was just thinking last night that these guys Trengove, Toumpas and Aish have all been in top SANFL clubs, premiers or runners up. The load is carried across the team as 'rpfc' says.

Maybe more weight should be placed on not premiership players but players who perform well with lesser clubs.

I will have serious issues if we draft this young fella.

Top player - No doubt!

But the return home factor is huge! The kid has already stated in interviews over here that his dream is to play for his beloved Adelaide Crows... Can anyone say "Scott Thompson"