WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

Forget Clarkson. If you were him and could stay at a list you'd built and a strong premiership winning outfit, or go join a basket case what would you do ? I wouldn't even take Melbourne's call.

First preference would have to be Roos. He's won a flag, helped develop the club with the best culture in the AFL, and was the mentor to two of the best coaches in the AFL in Lyon and Longmire.

If I couldn't get Roos I'd target Williams. He's scaled the mountain with a poorly resourced club and won a flag. He's known for being a great development coach. Forget assistants that have a record of great development, clearly being at the helm is a world away from taking directives. Gillard, by all reports, was a terrific deputy, but will go down as the Prime Minister with the worst judgment in history. Being a good assistant doesn't mean you'll even be competent as a senior coach.

Mark Williams has a winning rate of 55.47%, which is excellent, especially at an under resourced club.

Ten other notable coaches and their winning percentage:

Blight: 55.6

Roos: 57.92

Eade: 54.46

Barassi: 53.88

Malthouse: 58.43

Matthews: 58.79

Parkin: 59.27

Norm Smith: 56.65

Clarkson: 59.05

Sheedy: 58.53

If we can't get Roos it has to be Williams for me.

• Like 5

Forget Clarkson. If you were him and could stay at a list you'd built and a strong premiership winning outfit, or go join a basket case what would you do ? I wouldn't even take Melbourne's call.

First preference would have to be Roos. He's won a flag, helped develop the club with the best culture in the AFL, and was the mentor to two of the best coaches in the AFL in Lyon and Longmire.

If I couldn't get Roos I'd target Williams. He's scaled the mountain with a poorly resourced club and won a flag. He's known for being a great development coach. Forget assistants that have a record of great development, clearly being at the helm is a world away from taking directives. Gillard, by all reports, was a terrific deputy, but will go down as the Prime Minister with the worst judgment in history. Being a good assistant doesn't mean you'll even be competent as a senior coach.

Mark Williams has a winning rate of 55.47%, which is excellent, especially at an under resourced club.

I always though we should have got Williams last time around. Contrary to comments on this thread he was available and keen. What an error!

• Like 2

Yes, I think similarly.

As I said in another post - if we can convince Roos to coach again - great. But don't twist his arm too much.

Malcolm blight was torn from the golf course to coach St Kilda. His body went, and his mind remained at the golf course.

• Like 3

Hawthorn would want to extend Clarksons current contract and top up the salary considerably to completely rule him out of the equation.

A long shot but one worth thoroughly exploring.

• Like 1

Yes, I think similarly.

As I said in another post - if we can convince Roos to coach again - great. But don't twist his arm too much.

Malcolm blight was torn from the golf course to coach St Kilda. His body went, and his mind remained at the golf course.

This is my only real concern re Roos is thats it might be a case of getting him over the line , but Id rather have someone running to it, really wanting it.

I dont think theres really a lot between Chocco and Roos anyhow.

Port played a much nicer game to watch...for what thats worth

Who knows..Williams might even show our lads how to use ALL of the G...it is big after all :unsure:

• Like 1

I always though we should have got Williams last time around. Contrary to comments on this thread he was available and keen. What an error!

I don't know if the timing would have been good. I think that when you have been working at one place for a long time you need some time to decompress. Especially if the decision to leave is not your own, which is how I see how Ross Lyon was able to make the move to Fremantle. The decision to leave was, infamously, his.

• Like 1

Hawthorn would want to extend Clarksons current contract and top up the salary considerably to completely rule him out of the equation.

A long shot but one worth thoroughly exploring.

Thing is I dont think Clarkson has any interest in the Dees.. That only exists in the minds of some Melbourne supporters me thinks.

• Like 3

Thing is I dont think Clarkson has any interest in the Dees.. That only exists in the minds of some Melbourne supporters me thinks.

At least this time around every candidate will be sounded out properly and to the extent there's no future conjecture like the Ross Lyon crap going around.

I hope so anyway.

• Like 2

Woosher and Lethal have officially ruled themselves out. Clarkson's manager has ruled him out.

Roos is our preferred option. He is being pursued strongly and it didn't start monday.

Daryl Wakelin a former Choco player pumped him up unbelievably today and said he was fantastic with the players, great for developing the young talent and a fantastic coach to play under.

Choco and Eade seem to be next in line. It will be one of those three I would expect.

Agree, I'm convinced we have to get an experienced, successful coach and I think we need to stitch someone up so we don't waste a year of list management, therefore Roos, Williams or Eade:

- persuade players to stay

- attract free agents

- decide trade and recruiting strategy, we'll have pick 1 or 2 and 20 and maybe a PP, that's leverage

- decide who has no future at the club

We can't wait for Clarkson-in-the-bush.

Ratten, Knights, Harvey, Laidley etc just don't have the record to survive the pain still to come.

• Like 8

You can't rule out Craig. If he turns the team around in the 2nd half of the season and wins say 3 - 5 games with significantly better performances it will be difficult not to give him the role. Perhaps only Roos would get nod in front of him if this was the case.

Neeld was a cancer, the players hated him, he put in place an out-dated inappropriate, copied game plan, players were not allowed to play their natural game, went into their shells and lost self confidence, self belief and thus the ability to play. Honestly Neeld should have been sacked at the end of last season. The writing was well and truly on the wall last season.

If confidence can be restored, performance could turn around quicker than people think. I am expecting a much better performance this weekend and through to the end of the season. It is my hope that there will be a slow improvement through to season ends.

The job will go to one of:

Roos, Williams, Eade or Craig

I think you've nailed it it one

Don't fall into the trap of taking too much notice of the exceptions when considering the rule. I always get a little bemused when people bring up such examples, as though they're common place, or a reasonable chance to be repeated, when in reality they're exceptions to the rule.

• Like 2

Don't fall into the trap of taking too much notice of the exceptions when considering the rule. I always get a little bemused when people bring up such examples, as though they're common place, or a reasonable chance to be repeated, when in reality they're exceptions to the rule.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Except the Exception rule.

Which is the exception to the Exception rule.

Proving the rule.

Of course, no case is the same, but buyer beware when someone tells you they don't want to coach but you twist their arm and get them down. I hope that the swaying we do convinces Roos to come and he is mentally ready for what will be the hardest job he has undertaken.

I see you left Craig off that list, isn't his winning percentage about 55?

I agree however my only query on Williams is whether he has the tactical nous for the current game. Is he innovative enough? Can he structure a winning modern game plan around the list we have? I don't know the answer but it seems he started to go downhill during the time when the modern tactical game really lifted a notch.

If we couldn't get Roos I wouldn't be unhappy with Eade either. One of him or Williams would be decent gets, fair enough he hasn't gone all the way but he's come close enough at two clubs, has a tactical mind and is a good player relationship person. I think he'd also do a good job of selling the club to sponsors etc He is also only just below Williams on your list above.

• Like 1

I don't think that Williams would be a good fit.

If Neeld struggled to win over the majority of the group with his frankness and personality I dont see how Williams could do any better.

People need to consider other factors than just the coach's CV.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Except the Exception rule.

Which is the exception to the Exception rule.

Proving the rule.

Of course, no case is the same, but buyer beware when someone tells you they don't want to coach but you twist their arm and get them down. I hope that the swaying we do convinces Roos to come and he is mentally ready for what will be the hardest job he has undertaken.

Blight was going to help them find a coach and then was offered a ridiculous amount of money to do it himself.

Roos isn't being asked to help find a coach, he's being asked to consider being the coach and leave his cushy well paid media gig.

It also strikes me that the guy who helped orchestrate one of the best cultures in recent history is probably the type to do things for the right reasons. I think your concerns are misplaced.

But, naturally, you're welcome to them.

• Like 2

I agree however my only query on Williams is whether he has the tactical nous for the current game. Is he innovative enough? Can he structure a winning modern game plan around the list we have? I don't know the answer but it seems he started to go downhill during the time when the modern tactical game really lifted a notch.

If we couldn't get Roos I wouldn't be unhappy with Eade either. One of him or Williams would be decent gets, fair enough he hasn't gone all the way but he's come close enough at two clubs, has a tactical mind and is a good player relationship person. I think he'd also do a good job of selling the club to sponsors etc He is also only just below Williams on your list above.

He'd been at Port for 12 years. I reckon it's reasonable that his time was up.

I reckon his tactical side would be fine, but there are always others to help in this regard. Coaching is mainly about what happens in the 7 days during the week and less to do with what happens in the 2 hours in the box on game day.

You don't play off in 2 grand finals and win one at an under resourced club if you fail with the tactical side of the game.