Tom Boyd

Travis Boots

Oh we trade or FA some quality mids just like that, seems so simple yet we've never done it. Somebody should email the club.

We have no excess quality to use in a trade, our only option is to pay overs for a FA.

Who is available, and in good health?

Get a grip and don't put word into others mouths BBB. No one said "just like that", except you. It may not be easy but it can be done. We got 2 quality KPFs through trading. Three if you include Hogan. There is no reason why we cannot do it for a quality mid or 2.

Sheedy watched the match on Sat night and said he saw a number of players the Giants would consider chasing. He may have been talking of us or the Bulldogs, but it means we might have players they want. That is, trade bait.

And BTW, everyone pays overs for good FAs, such as Goddard and possibly Buddy. Unfortunately, we have only payed overs for dud FAs, so far.

• Like 1

take boyd, for mine. We wont be challenging for another 3/4 years at least by then Clark and Dawes are closer to 30 and both had significant injuries which may hamper them in the future. Once they are gone or ageing do you want to rely only on Watts and Hogan when we are really peaking? you can never have enough gun KPP's and they are very hard to trade in, unlike midfielders, which are much easier to gain through trade or FA. Chances are we wont get another shot at a gun KPP after this draft. Chances of gaining a good mid in the late first round is much higher then finding a kpp. GET HIM.

I agree tim, take the gun Power Forward now, & maybe trade with GWS for a mid 1st round pick somehow... they may have a compensation pick available...

We need to be heavily active in the Free agency, for that mature Mid we need.... any 18 Yr old isn't going to help us next year. so go the big gun in the draft, & recruit/trade for Now.

• Like 1

I agree tim, take the gun Power Forward now, & maybe trade with GWS for a mid 1st round pick somehow... they may have a compensation pick available...

We need to be heavily active in the Free agency, for that mature Mid we need.... any 18 Yr old isn't going to help us next year. so go the big gun in the draft, & recruit/trade for Now.

I agree we should look for a mid in free agency but as a few 18 yo have shown this year they are quite capable. Wines, O'meara, Vlastuin...

I agree we should look for a mid in free agency but as a few 18 yo have shown this year they are quite capable. Wines, O'meara, Vlastuin...

there are some but our immediate needs is experience & physical maturity.... our trouble, apart from making some terrible draft decisions over 10 - 14 years, has been our poor culture, affecting our ability to develop our kids over the last 15 years. this is changing finally over the last 2 seasons.

so there are some kids who can go straight away and be relatively effective, but any of those kids, is nowhere near what an Elite mid would do for us.

the senior depth helps these kids to find some form... you've mentioned the Tigers, Suns & Port, who are all playing strong footy... they are ahead of where we are on the park, at this minute.

Edited by dee-luded

I recall that Butcher was touted as a number one draft pick a few years ago and drifted quite a bit come draft day.

If he's really the stand out number one pick and we can get him at 2 or 3 depending on where we finish them I think we should take him, if he's not that clearly the best then we need a good quality mid.

The number 1 pick will go to Hawthorn for Franklin

He will sign with GWS,, Hawthorn will match the offer and then they will do that trade

you herd it here first

Heard what?

Hawthorn won't be able to match it.

Not sure if Franklin will be restricted or not, but even if he is, Hawthorn can only match it if it fits within their salary cap, which the offer from GWS won't.

• Like 3

I recall that Butcher was touted as a number one draft pick a few years ago and drifted quite a bit come draft day.

If he's really the stand out number one pick and we can get him at 2 or 3 depending on where we finish them I think we should take him, if he's not that clearly the best then we need a good quality mid.

He's not a number 1 pick for mine, but in a weak draft like this, anything could happen.

He still might be...

Think about it.

GWS get Franklin, Patton comes back from injury and Jeremy Cameron is a gun.

Room for Boyd?

do we have room for Hogan? Im sure we can squeeze him in.....lol...

Heard what?

Hawthorn won't be able to match it.

Not sure if Franklin will be restricted or not, but even if he is, Hawthorn can only match it if it fits within their salary cap, which the offer from GWS won't.

I am not so certain about that. I think that RFAs can be traded without the need for the former team to fit them under the cap.

I would do a trade if I was Hawthorn. I would have done it if I was St Kilda last year too.

He will sign with GWS,, Hawthorn will match the offer and then they will do that trade

you herd it here first

No, GWS will/have made the big guy an offer he can't refuse, and Buddy is gone. Why would they also give them pick 1? Hawthorn will get some kind of inadequate compo and GWS are free to use #1 however they chose.

• Like 2

No, GWS will/have made the big guy an offer he can't refuse, and Buddy is gone. Why would they also give them pick 1? Hawthorn will get some kind of inadequate compo and GWS are free to use #1 however they chose.

GWS will trade that pick only if they get a real quality player with around with 3 to 5 seasons under the belt. Just off the top of my head of some clubs needing a key forward Carlton would need to trade Gibbs or Murphy, no to Kruezer as they are into Bellchambers big time and from what I hear it is over the line. St Kilda don't have anyone all too old, Collingwood would need to be Sidebottom or Beams, Footscray, Griffen..Freo would be Fyfe....so unless someone is really desperate for that pick and willing to bank on it I think GWS may hold.

you herd it here first

So the Hawks match the GWS offer and then he leaves the Hawks for GWS. They give away a number 1 pick when they can get him for nothing. Remember Hawthorn has said they can't match the offer. The AFL knows this.

You think this will happen.

So the Hawks match the GWS offer and then he leaves the Hawks for GWS. They give away a number 1 pick when they can get him for nothing. Remember Hawthorn has said they can't match the offer. The AFL knows this.

You think this will happen.

Monfries was traded as a RFA. I am not certain that Hawthorn would have enough guaranteed contracts during trade week to not have the room for Franklin.

I think it is possible.

Hogan alone should do.

Midfielders are "easier to gain through trade or FA" because there are more of them. The trick is trading in a quality mid- and just like quality KPP's, quality mids are not traded out under normal circumstances. Name the last quality mid Melbourne successfully drafted and explain to me how it's so easy.

I never said it was so easy, just that it was easier then getting a quality kpp. Just at look at richmond with grigg and Houli or sydney with kennedy, just need to find those mids from a team with an abundance of good mids, who are never given a proper chance to prove them selves. I can't think of many unproven KPP's that get traded and come good.

Monfries was traded as a RFA. I am not certain that Hawthorn would have enough guaranteed contracts during trade week to not have the room for Franklin.

I think it is possible.

Monfries was traded because it let Port get compensation for Pearce and Chaplin. Therefore it was a better deal for them. In the same way our genius list manager should've traded for Byrnes because then we would've got better compensation for Rivers and Moloney.

• Like 2

And why would buddy go to GWS if hawthorn can match the offer? He'd stay at hawthorn if that were the case... He will get some extra from the AFL, but the contract itself would have to be much bigger for him to leave I would think...

• Like 2

I am not so certain about that. I think that RFAs can be traded without the need for the former team to fit them under the cap.

I would do a trade if I was Hawthorn. I would have done it if I was St Kilda last year too.

You'll have to talk GWS into giving up something when they don't have to.

Can't figure out why they would.

And that would lead to some very messy dealings, depending on how it works.

What about this scenario?

GWS makes offer to Buddy.

Hawthorn "match" offer, since he is restricted.

With your theory, the Hawks don't sign Buddy, but intend to trade him to GWS.

GWS don't want to give up what Hawks want in a trade.

Stalemate.

What then?

Hawks over the cap having matched a deal they can't possibly fulfil under cap rules?

Oh I clicked on a Tom Boyd thread expecting talk on him only to realize I must have accidentally clicked on the Buddy Franklin thread. My bad.

Not only that; you seem to be posting random thoughts.

GWS will trade that pick only if they get a real quality player with around with 3 to 5 seasons under the belt. Just off the top of my head of some clubs needing a key forward Carlton would need to trade Gibbs or Murphy, no to Kruezer as they are into Bellchambers big time and from what I hear it is over the line. St Kilda don't have anyone all too old, Collingwood would need to be Sidebottom or Beams, Footscray, Griffen..Freo would be Fyfe....so unless someone is really desperate for that pick and willing to bank on it I think GWS may hold.

Carlton Gibbs I was thinking,, or they may package 2 players, Warnock & another?..... Yarran?

could Collingwood offer Thomas (rfa), if he wants out??? for the No 1 Pick...

Obviously this is all hypothetical and obviously we need mids, so it all depends on our recruiters' rating systems. If it's line ball we take a mid, if Boyd is the clear stand out at our pick, not withstanding our need for mids, we must take Boyd.

• Like 1

Carlton Gibbs I was thinking,, or they may package 2 players, Warnock & another?..... Yarran?

could Collingwood offer Thomas (rfa), if he wants out??? for the No 1 Pick...

They get Thomas if they want him as an RFA so why give up no 1 and Collingwood may not be be in the market anyway. They have Cloke and could do with another but it depends a bit on how they see Paine and Grundy coming on. Would they pay the price, it would need to be someone they won't want to lose.

Warnock is of no use to GWS as they will have Bellchambers and Giles as a back up. Gibbs might do it for them, Yarran on his own wouldn't. Carlton will have to make the play, they are desperate and they have players with currency...will they spend.

Obviously this is all hypothetical and obviously we need mids, so it all depends on our recruiters' rating systems. If it's line ball we take a mid, if Boyd is the clear stand out at our pick, not withstanding our need for mids, we must take Boyd.

That is spot on 'Ben', but it's looking like it won't be an issue unless GWS pull a couple of wins starting with the doggies this weekend.