"Dee" List to take with us into 2014

I believe if we take forward the following list of players into 2014 and recruit more talented replacements for those delisted or wanting to move on, then we may have some hope of at least making some move to improve our current on field performances.. Given the right FD these players could give our club a chance to be competitive and start winning games.

While I concede it shouldn't take a "revving up" or "kick in the bum" for professional players to perform at heir best each week, having at least 8 to 10 players below the standard required to succeed at this level, It puts a larger load on those capable players and makes it almost impossible for them to continuously perform at their top for 120 plus minutes each game. It is like trying to play against a full strength team of top players with only around 12 men on your own team. It then makes those carrying the extra load look slow, sluggish and disinterested.

We have a lot of that in our team. There are too many players whom are NOT up to AFL Senior standard which makes it impossible for us to win.

It is not ALL the coaches fault...!!.. BUT!!! somebody has to take the blame for losing or getting rid of some still capable players from our previous list and for the recruitment of those newly added to the list but obviously NOT capable of performing at the required level... Be they younger or older so called "established" AFL players.

I think we could sill have the nucleas of a competitive AFL Football team with the following list :Terlich, Hogan, Watts Dawes, Viney, Frawley Trengove, Clark, Sylvia, Garland, Tynan, Tom McDonald, Grimes, Howe, Jetta, Davis, Fitzpatrick, Gawn, N. Jones, M.Jones, Blease. Magner, Pedersen....Sellar........Sorry to those players I have decided to leave out including Dunn, Rodan, Byrnes, Mckenzie, Strauss, Tapscott, Jamar, Davey etc. I just cannot find a place for them in the future of the MFC.. Our first priority for next year should be to recruit quality midfielders and we must start looking now. Many will disagree with my list and my omissions, but I just wanted to put it out there for comment. I cannot bring myself to enjoy the rest or this season after yesterday (the last straw for me) and I am turning my focus on what I hope will be a better future for my much loved footy club..I fear our Club will lose many thousands of disgruntled and disheartened members in 2014.. Sad times

• Like 1

I believe if we take forward the following list of players into 2014 and recruit more talented replacements for those delisted or wanting to move on, then we may have some hope of at least making some move to improve our current on field performances.. Given the right FD these players could give our club a chance to be competitive and start winning games.

While I concede it shouldn't take a "revving up" or "kick in the bum" for professional players to perform at heir best each week, having at least 8 to 10 players below the standard required to succeed at this level, It puts a larger load on those capable players and makes it almost impossible for them to continuously perform at their top for 120 plus minutes each game. It is like trying to play against a full strength team of top players with only around 12 men on your own team. It then makes those carrying the extra load look slow, sluggish and disinterested.

We have a lot of that in our team. There are too many players whom are NOT up to AFL Senior standard which makes it impossible for us to win.

It is not ALL the coaches fault...!!.. BUT!!! somebody has to take the blame for losing or getting rid of some still capable players from our previous list and for the recruitment of those newly added to the list but obviously NOT capable of performing at the required level... Be they younger or older so called "established" AFL players.

I think we could sill have the nucleas of a competitive AFL Football team with the following list :Terlich, Hogan, Watts Dawes, Viney, Frawley Trengove, Clark, Sylvia, Garland, Tynan, Tom McDonald, Grimes, Howe, Jetta, Davis, Fitzpatrick, Gawn, N. Jones, M.Jones, Blease. Magner, Pedersen....Sellar........Sorry to those players I have decided to leave out including Dunn, Rodan, Byrnes, Mckenzie, Strauss, Tapscott, Jamar, Davey etc. I just cannot find a place for them in the future of the MFC.. Our first priority for next year should be to recruit quality midfielders and we must start looking now. Many will disagree with my list and my omissions, but I just wanted to put it out there for comment. I cannot bring myself to enjoy the rest or this season after yesterday (the last straw for me) and I am turning my focus on what I hope will be a better future for my much loved footy club..I fear our Club will lose many thousands of disgruntled and disheartened members in 2014.. Sad times

Wow - you put Tynan, Davis, Magner, Pedersen and Sellar ahead of Dunn, Strauss, Tapscott and Mckenzie?

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 2

Lol love how you included Tynan, Davis, Jetta, Sellar, and Pedersen in your future list... tell me what do all these guys bring to the table thst is worth a glimpse into the future?? All will be delisted at years end.

Wow - you put Tynan, Davis, Magner, Pedersen and Sellar ahead of Dunn, Strauss, Tapscott and Mckenzie?

Only my opinion of course and I wanted to create some discussion on the subject as I have been on the verge of "jumping Ship" after watching this team this year... Very depressing... Of course I will never desert this club, just so humiliating to watch them at the moment.. I am not saying I am right with "my" list but it is how I see things right now.NOT a fan of Tapscott as he doesnt appear to know what to do with the ball when he does get hold of it, many on DL were screaming for Magner to be taken off the Rookie list over the past few weeks, Mckenzie tries hard but that's it... no skills, Dunn, is aplodder and not needed in future plans I wouldn't think,Pedersen looks to have something to offer,maybe Sellar is borderline, but we cannot get rid of everyone , sorry not a Strauss fan, looks like a good VFL player to me..

• Like 1

Lol love how you included Tynan, Davis, Jetta, Sellar, and Pedersen in your future list... tell me what do all these guys bring to the table thst is worth a glimpse into the future?? All will be delisted at years end.

My opinion and I wouldn't bet they will ALL be delisted at year's end.. have to save that one and wait and see..

Pedersen is a good footballer just a bit inconsistent..He will come good and has been ok.

Mckenzie is an absolute dud with terrible skills and bad decision making ability..I dont care if he can run all day hes dead set useless around packs and every other time he gets the pill.

Jetta is in the same boat. Dud.Does not perform everytime he gets a chance.

Tapscott has actually become a more versatile better skilled footballer who can run longer in a game I have noticed. And will not shirk a contest and lays a hip and shoulder where viable!

Tapscott is very important!

Tynan isnt ready and Davis probably not either.

Sellar is insurance for any important big unit plain and simple.Otherwise he's lucky to be getting a gig really.Has good hands but not much more.

Edited by Tapscott Tough

Jimmy Toumpas not on your list?

Oops !! Not easy compiling a full list lol... Toumpas should be included.

Pedersen is a good footballer just a bit inconsistent..He will come good and has been ok.

Mckenzie is an absolute dud with terrible skills and bad decision making ability..I dont care if he can run all day hes dead set useless around packs and every other time he gets the pill.

Jetta is in the same boat. Dud.Does not perform everytime he gets a chance.

Tapscott has actually become a more versatile better skilled footballer who can run longer in a game I have noticed. And will not shirk a contest and lays a hip and shoulder where viable!

Tapscott is very important!

Tynan isnt ready and Davis probably not either.

Sellar is insurance for any important big unit plain and simple.Otherwise he's lucky to be getting a gig really.Has good hands but not much more.

Tapscott is borderline to me and I would not think he will make it if we recruit capable midfielders at seasons end... which I expect we will.. I can see by your username why you are so eager to include him..I respect your opinion but will wait and see if he shows considerable improvement in football skills and not just his toughness, which in the modern game seems to be on the way out judging by the current rules and umpiring trends... Sadly

Only my opinion of course and I wanted to create some discussion on the subject as I have been on the verge of "jumping Ship" after watching this team this year... Very depressing... Of course I will never desert this club, just so humiliating to watch them at the moment.. I am not saying I am right with "my" list but it is how I see things right now.NOT a fan of Tapscott as he doesnt appear to know what to do with the ball when he does get hold of it, many on DL were screaming for Magner to be taken off the Rookie list over the past few weeks, Mckenzie tries hard but that's it... no skills, Dunn, is aplodder and not needed in future plans I wouldn't think,Pedersen looks to have something to offer,maybe Sellar is borderline, but we cannot get rid of everyone , sorry not a Strauss fan, looks like a good VFL player to me..

Strauss has had such a disruptive start to his career, I'm glad that the poor kid hasn't sustained any psychological damage.....He and Bleaser are recovering from leg breakages that take more time to heal than a knee reco. Look at Michael Barlow who is just now hitting his straps after nearly 2 odd years.

I reckon Strauss towelled up Nahas, broke a few lines and hit a target! I think (hope) he'll come good. Magner still worries me......

• Like 1

Early days, but I expect Rodan, Gillies, Sellar, Joel MacDonald and Tynan to b shown the door at seasons end. Hogan will take one of those spots and I'd expect an experienced free agent to take another spot (Daniel Cross or Adam Selwood is my early pick).

That only leaves three spots on the senior list and I'm sure we'll see more then that drafted, so it means a big remaining half of the year for the likes of Taggert, Davis, Fitzpatrick and Davey who are all out of contract. I'm very confident that all of Sylvia, Watts & Gawn will sign new deals.

That leaves any other vacant spots on our list to be created by potential trade bait of Nicholson, Bail, Dunn, Spencer, Blease etc if there are any takers....

As for the rookies I don't expect any upgrades and at this early stage would only expect Clisby to be there. Magner & Couch came in for certain roles and I think their job will be up at the end of the year. Wouldn't be suprised if they were replaced with the likes of Myles Sewell and Cockie to fill their voids as of next year.

Players which I rekon are just filling up spots on our list:

- Bail: is one of our better runners, but poor disposal efficiency and not football smart

- Joel Mac: Was brought in more as a role player, is probably a good trainer and someone good to have around the club but not sure if should get a game in the 1's

- Nicholson: once again our best runner, not sure how we can develop him, his disposal is too poor to put in the midfield, but seems to have a good attitude and a hard trainer which is what our club needs, maybe keep him on the list to push the training standards?

- Tom Gillies: really not sure what he brings to our club. At the start of the season he was a terrible defender and makes bad decisions with the ball.

- Mckenzie: he seems to get the coaches award every year. I guess good taggers do take a few years to develop so they can balance between tagging and offensive side to their game, but his disposal is very average so unless he can improve this he would be questionable too.

I know i shouldnt be confident about 2014.

I know i shouldnt feel as if Melbourne can become a powerhouse.

But i just get the feeling it's going to click, whether it be with our without Neeld.

Eventually these players will get more experience such as Viney, Toumpas, Evans, Gawn, Tmac, Trengove and Grimes, Watts, Terlich, Matt Jones. and the big JESSE HOGAN!!!

When these players hit 40-80 games it's going to click and click big time. This is why it's also important to stick with your list and include the older players such as Sylvia, N Jones, Davey, Joel Mac, Jamar, Garland, Frawley, Brynes and Rodan.

With an older core we could see some of these younger boys can flourish and who knows maybe we could land a big recruit from another club.

GO DEES

Neville Jetta is on par with the Jetta at my club Essendon. Melbourne should look at Marlon Motlop who is playing in the WAFL this year and deserves another shot at AFL.

I know you guys probably don't have anytime for Gerard Healy these days but he said your midfield is the worst ever in AFL history. The modern game is all about midfield and players who can spread and you just don't have them.

Edited by PD72

Pederson was signed for three years for a start.

Are you [censored] serious?

Pederson was signed for three years for a start.

who will ruck after Jamar?

Whoever it is has to do around the ground what Jamar doesn't do often enough... Take marks and kick goals !!! Maybe Gawn..Isn't Fitzpatrick being groomed for the ruck ??. But NOT SPENCER !!!! We should have the forward line covered with players like Howe, Hogan, Clark and Dawes as a backbone... Still a little concerned about Dawes though. Will see what he does when he is given better players around him.

It is funny how we want to delist some of these guys, Why not put Rodan on the rookie list? His experience is much needed. Yet were screaming out for experience to lead us. Agreed, they are past their primes, but you dont lose leadership.

Edited by demonchris

It is funny how we want to delist some of these guys, Why not put Rodan on the rookie list? His experience is much needed. Yet were screaming out for experience to lead us. Agreed, they are past their primes, but you dont lose leadership.

Is certainly an option. I guess it depends on what other senior players we can land at seasons end. If we can snare Daniel Cross for example then Rodan would surely go. If not then there's certainly merit to him possibly going on the rookie list.

There was an interesting side put up on one of the footy shows, showing the nucleus of a side and gaps to be filled. I think it was something like this:

Terlich Frawley Garland

Watts McDonald Grimes

Toumpas Jones Blease

Howe Dawes Sylvia

Clark Hogan Trengove

Gawn Viney

Extras M.Jones, Fitzy, Taggert, Tynan, Davey, Strauss, Dunn, etc, etc.

It doesn't look too bad on paper, actually just bad on grass.

• Like 1

There was an interesting side put up on one of the footy shows, showing the nucleus of a side and gaps to be filled. I think it was something like this:

Terlich Frawley Garland

Watts McDonald Grimes

Toumpas Jones Blease

Howe Dawes Sylvia

Clark Hogan Trengove

Gawn Viney

Extras M.Jones, Fitzy, Taggert, Tynan, Davey, Strauss, Dunn, etc, etc.

It doesn't look too bad on paper, actually just bad on grass.

But Redleg are we just blind?

I suspect we grossly over rate 35% of the above list.

• Like 1

Terlich Frawley Garland = I've seen enough out of Terlich to think he's a serious player. Garland is up and down and good enough. Frawley is a good footballer, this line is good enough for a top 8 team.

Watts McDonald Grimes = This line isn't up to it yet. Watts just hasn't shown the hardness or defensive mindset yet. Grimes is but is injured lots. McDonald needs to get back into 2012 form especially his kicking, he isn't ready yet but he shows great potential.

Toumpas Jones Blease = Blease might not make AFL level especially the wing, he's better off trying to play deep forward I think. Toumpas isn't ready. Jones is the only one on this line up to scratch, the others are prospects.

Howe Dawes Sylvia = I believe Dawes is good enough with a reasonable midfield and a tall to help. Sylvia when played half forward/rotating midfield is up to scratch. Howe is good enough.

Clark Hogan Trengove = Hogan is a great prospect. Trengove will overcome his speed/form issues eventually especially if not injured. Clark is a top line key forward and even better if he can be used in and out of the ruck if Hogan and Dawes can keep the forward line going.

Gawn Viney = Gawny is a fair way off but great potential, despite the knocks on him Jamar is performing at a reasonable level right now. Viney has shown he's ready to go now as a depth midfielder from the bench

At the end of the day we are missing a couple of reliable defenders but have the guys with the potential (McDonald, Watts, Strauss, Dunn, Clisby could all step up). Same for small forward where we need guys who can do both defensive pressure and kick goals and work up the ground. And we have really nice potential with tall forwards and rucks. The big area which will concern any future coach is how on earth will he scrape a midfield from our list. Some of our better players: Grimes, Sylvia, Howe (possibly Trengove) can all look good when played forward or back yet they have to play midfield to carry the load. We've got Jones, a moderate tagger in McKenzie, VFL players in Matt Jones and Magner and a bunch of kids like Viney, Evans, Toumpas who are expected to carry the midfield. We need 1 decent outside and 2 decent inside mids to help carry the load for us to get anywhere. Whilst at the same time we need the kids we do have playing and improving and we need to fix up our game plan so the players trust each other and play with some intensity. To be honest I think we'll need a free agent/scrap heap midfielder again (there aren't any good free agents available besides Daisy) but hopefully this time it works unlike Rodan. Then we'll have to play guys like Howe on a wing, Grimes in the midfield, Sylvia spending time in the midfield and then wait it out for Viney, Toumpas, Evans and this years draft picks to progress. Jones, Trengove and McKenzie (those last two both injury interrupted) are the fittest mids on our list. We can't have Bail, McDonald and Nicholson as the guys at the top of our 3km time trials. We need more midfielders up there. The challenge is on for Toumpas, Viney, Evans, Taggert to get to that level.

am i in 2011 - watts, scully, gysberts, morton, petterd?

or 2007 - mclean, sylvia, bate, dunn, bell?

Watts-just hit 50 odd.

Scully- left

Gysberts- never even hit 40

morton- utter rubbish wherever he goes

pettard- isnt so experienced.

Mclean- only in the past year has excelled in his career. Very much been a struggler.

Sylvia- been a good servant for the club and i will fight tooth and nail for him.

Bate- butter fingers

Dunn- i like Dunny

Bell- hahaahahaahhaahahha

so there are explanations for this