• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

No use sacking Neeld

baysidedave

No the greatest mistake was the re appointment of Cameron Scwhab as CEO. Unfortunately a lot of the decisions made around this time were on the back of the strong personality that was Jimmy Stynes and those that surrounded him. Jimmy needed good people around him, unfortunately he had his own people, including Gary Lyon who advised him poorly. No one stood up to themThere is a magic bullet. It is SELF BELIEF. It is the coaches job to instil it in every player.

Neeld came into a club that was a mess and was ill equipped to fix it, I'm not sure if anyone could. I fell sorry for him but he is gone.

One of many. However there were 2 other whoppers, one prior to 186 and 2 (including the unsacking and re-signing of CS) post 186.

All 3 whopping mistakes included the involvement (at the bequest of the Gardner board and the then McLardy/Stynes led board) and input/advice of one Mr G Lyon.

Lyon played a significant part in getting us to where we find ourselves right now ie, in a bucket load of chicken manure!

We should certainly give Neeld the next month at the very least. If we can see some marked improvement or imagine even draw a win then he should see out the year and then only be replaced if one of Roos or possibly Worsfold became avaialble, otherwsie let Neeld have a crack at the final year of his rebuild.

If we cop more of the same over the next month then he needs to be replaced pronto and have Craig, Viney or Rawlings step in on an interim basis. As for 2014 onwards I believe we would need an experienced coach to help re-shape the culture and demand the respect of the players. Even if they only came in for say 3 years before handing over to someone else (ala Sheedy to Cameron), at least to begin to begin with so they can plant the seeds like Barassi did with us in the early 80's and with Sydney in the early 90's.

The only viable options for us in my opinion are:

Paul Roos - Turned around a Sydney side that was beggining to lag under Rocket. Premiership Coach

John Worsfold - Took a bottom 4 Eagles to the Prelim Finals the following year when most peopel thought they'd struggle. Premiership Coach.

Mark Williams - Premiership Coach at Port and has a track record of developing young players.

Leigh Matthews (short term) - To be used in the Barassi mould in reshaping the culture for a few years, would need some quality assistants around him.

John Northey (short term, yes that's right, Swooper!) - See above. Took us to 5 succesive finals which hadn't happened since Smith and hasn't happened since. Took Richmond to the finals once which has only happened twice in 30 years and laid the foundations as the first coach of Brisbane Lions, got them to a prelim also.

If we were to go down the path of someone like Matthews or Northey (short term) then you'd need to surround them with some quality assistants who they could hand over to within a few years once they'd laid the ground work. I'm talking about targetting the likes of Peter Sumich (forward coach), Leigh tudor (midfield coach) and Nathan Basset (backline coach). Obviously easier said then done, but as they say if you want to make money you need to spend money!

I don't think that's right - Jack Grimes, Nathan Jones, Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Colin Garland, James Frawley, Jordie McKenzie, Jack Trengove, Shannon Byrnes - there's nothing wrong with that leadership group per se. The problem is the current coach is not up to it. If John Longmire, Ross Lyon or Alistair Clarkson was running the show there'd be markedly different results.

A club is only as strong as it's embedded senior players and we have a nice round number of those - zero.

• Like 1

I don't think that's right - Jack Grimes, Nathan Jones, Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Colin Garland, James Frawley, Jordie McKenzie, Jack Trengove, Shannon Byrnes - there's nothing wrong with that leadership group per se. The problem is the current coach is not up to it. If John Longmire, Ross Lyon or Alistair Clarkson was running the show there'd be markedly different results.

Out of that leadership group only 1 player has played more then 150 games - what in your opinion exactly qualifies this as a capable leadership group compared to other clubs??

I don't think any group of players has gone through what this club has been through in the last 18 - 24 months. I actually find it amusing you can make that statement and be serious about it.

If you honsetly think that - which you clearly do 55 - then i think you'll get a rude awakening this time next year when we will probably be in the same spot (which i think is likely if we don't recruite well in Sep 13) or is it excusable the performance given by the playing group at the moment because of their feud with the coach?

My question back to you is - how long does the new coach have to fix this rabble?? should we be calling for his sacking already??? Afterall facts in arugments on this forum seem to be sidenotes

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

Out of that leadership group only 1 player has played more then 150 games - what in your opinion exactly qualifies this as a capable leadership group compared to other clubs??

I don't think any group of players has gone through what this club has been through in the last 18 - 24 months. I actually find it amusing you can make that statement and be serious about it.

If you honsetly think that - which you clearly do 55 - then i think you'll get a rude awakening this time next year when we will probably be in the same spot (which i think is likely if we don't recruite well in Sep 13) or is it excusable the performance given by the playing group at the moment because of their feud with the coach?

My question back to you is - how long does the new coach have to fix this rabble?? should we be calling for his sacking already??? Afterall facts in arugments on this forum seem to be sidenotes

It's about expectation - I don't expect us to be playing finals with our current list, but we SHOULD NOT be being beaten by 25 goals by Essendon or losing to GCS by 10 goals at home. We're not delivering that performance because the players are "feuding" with the coach - it's because the coach is a rolled-gold DUD and unfortunately as I posted on another thread the players have drunk his Kool Aid that they're no good, unfit and can't follow his instructions. We better not be delivering these same results this time next year - how anyone can think they're expected or acceptable is mind-boggling!

Edited by Fifty-5

I'm only half with you there Fifty. One of the issues I have is that half them are ring ins. There is something about guys that have been at a club for 8-10 years - they demand respect. Not one of those players is an embedded senior player. Imagine you were a young guy rocking into Sydney, you've got Bolton, McVeigh, Goodes, LRT to name a few. We don't have any of that glue and unfortunately we can't change that.

You could even use a team around our level as an example. The dogs have Murphy, Gia, Cooney, Boyd etc. We have zero of those guys and we wonder what's wrong.

The coach would need a time machine to fix that problem. If there's any suggestion Roos has one, I'm in!

It's about expectation - I don't expect us to be playing finals with our current list, but we SHOULD NOT be being beaten by 25 goals by Essendon or losing to GCS by 10 goals at home.

Of course we shouldn't it's a joke, Neeld should've been sacked weeks ago.

From the top on down we are a rabble.

I'm only half with you there Fifty. One of the issues I have is that half them are ring ins. There is something about guys that have been at a club for 8-10 years - they demand respect. Not one of those players is an embedded senior player. Imagine you were a young guy rocking into Sydney, you've got Bolton, McVeigh, Goodes, LRT to name a few. We don't have any of that glue and unfortunately we can't change that.

You could even use a team around our level as an example. The dogs have Murphy, Gia, Cooney, Boyd etc. We have zero of those guys and we wonder what's wrong.

The coach would need a time machine to fix that problem. If there's any suggestion Roos has one, I'm in!

Exactly why we need an experienced and successful coach to provide leadership.

The one thing I have not seen from Neeld is genuine positive leadership.

No don't run away... this IS the Northern Stand Culture... Safety first!

... lets all face this here & now.

the northern stand culture is one of exclusion, keeping the ferrals out! keeping it safe & cosy inside.... keeping everyone inside comfortable, nice & conservative, guaranteed. No Risk...

thats just It. no risk taking, only acting on guarantees & inside racing &/or stockmarket sure things...

Footy is Not like this...if you stand still,,, you shrink amongst the competition.

..... this is what happened to us, {after the Entrepreneurial 'Diick Seddon led team' of the eighties, which fostered a growth spurt}, again started to wither on the vine.

Witnessed a few short Years after Diick moved into an AFL job & others off field moved on, & Barass & Jordan handed over the reigns of a strong & growing club list...

by the time 5 yrs had passed, growth had stopped, & the wheels were grinding again to a standstill.

... this is the culture we see onfield & on the weekend, "when unsure go into shell"...

that isn't what Neeld is teaching, its the existing culture that is already there, baulking at change.... too much talk behind the scenes, undermining the authority of the One trying to be Entrepreneurial. a purveyor of change... not seen since the early Eighties.

.... this distraction is imo, what we are witnessing this year... dividing players focus.

Frank Costa started his Job in 1998, it took a while... 2007

Paul Roos started his work in 2002... it took a little while as well, taking a steady club with a competative playing list, to the Mountain Top.

Thanks for the personal attack Deeluded.

You seem to be able to explain Who? How? and with What? We can make this huge change.

Enlighten us!

It's about expectation - I don't expect us to be playing finals with our current list, but we SHOULD NOT be being beaten by 25 goals by Essendon or losing to GCS by 10 goals at home. We're not delivering that performance because the players are "feuding" with the coach - it's because the coach is a rolled-gold DUD and unfortunately as I posted on another thread the players have drunk his Kool Aid that they're no good, unfit and can't follow his instructions. We better not be delivering these same results this time next year - how anyone can think they're expected or acceptable is mind-boggling!

Please point out where I've said these results are acceptable?

Also David Parkin today said our current situation is not Neelds fault, pretty respected opinion right there, come back to me when you have some facts and not a gut feel

• Like 1

We are playing 8-10 goals per game worse than we should be with our list. That comes down to motivation of the players and game plan. Our list was good enough to thrash sydney and adelaide a couple of years ago.

Neeld has altered the list. He has decimated the talent and brought in hacks. We can't compete to win with his new list unfortunately. Dawesy is an average footballer and all the effort in the world wont help him win us important matches. Hope is at least a couple of seasons away, but that is obvious to all.

We can, however, compete to lose honorably for the next couple of years. But with a different coach. Neeld's tenure is rotten and simply disastrous. Every player has gone backward or left the club. We are a laughing stock.

Peter Jackson has professional standards and must take a couple of weeks to look around before swinging the axe but really it's McClardy and G Lyon who should be out there saying mea culpa we got the wrong coach.

We are playing 8-10 goals per game worse than we should be with our list. That comes down to motivation of the players and game plan. Our list was good enough to thrash sydney and adelaide a couple of years ago.

Neeld has altered the list. He has decimated the talent and brought in hacks. We can't compete to win with his new list unfortunately. Dawesy is an average footballer and all the effort in the world wont help him win us important matches. Hope is at least a couple of seasons away, but that is obvious to all.

We can, however, compete to lose honorably for the next couple of years. But with a different coach. Neeld's tenure is rotten and simply disastrous. Every player has gone backward or left the club. We are a laughing stock.

Peter Jackson has professional standards and must take a couple of weeks to look around before swinging the axe but really it's McClardy and G Lyon who should be out there saying mea culpa we got the wrong coach.

Sometimes you have to hang tough and I think this is one of those times. We can't have this happen again so the next coach needs to be able to turn this group around in 1-2 years for us not to be in the same situation again. I believe that's impossible right now. I think Neeld should see out his contract so that the next coach is not sold down the river.

Sometimes you have to hang tough and I think this is one of those times. We can't have this happen again so the next coach needs to be able to turn this group around in 1-2 years for us not to be in the same situation again. I believe that's impossible right now. I think Neeld should see out his contract so that the next coach is not sold down the river.

if that is the case there will be no spectators at the games. No demons fans and the opposition supporters would hardly be interested in turning up to watch the ensuing slaughter!!

Let's face it, even the seagulls wouldn't bother fronting!

• Like 1

Nice list 55. but tell me, how many games have that list played together in this year?

No don't run away... this IS the Northern Stand Culture... Safety first!

... lets all face this here & now.

the northern stand culture is one of exclusion, keeping the ferrals out! keeping it safe & cosy inside.... keeping everyone inside comfortable, nice & conservative, guaranteed. No Risk...

thats just It. no risk taking, only acting on guarantees & inside racing &/or stockmarket sure things...

Footy is Not like this...if you stand still,,, you shrink amongst the competition.

..... this is what happened to us, {after the Entrepreneurial 'Diick Seddon led team' of the eighties, which fostered a growth spurt}, again started to wither on the vine.

Witnessed a few short Years after Diick moved into an AFL job & others off field moved on, & Barass & Jordan handed over the reigns of a strong & growing club list...

by the time 5 yrs had passed, growth had stopped, & the wheels were grinding again to a standstill.

... this is the culture we see onfield & on the weekend, "when unsure go into shell"...

that isn't what Neeld is teaching, its the existing culture that is already there, baulking at change.... too much talk behind the scenes, undermining the authority of the One trying to be Entrepreneurial. a purveyor of change... not seen since the early Eighties.

.... this distraction is imo, what we are witnessing this year... dividing players focus.

Frank Costa started his Job in 1998, it took a while... 2007

Paul Roos started his work in 2002... it took a little while as well, taking a steady club with a competative playing list, to the Mountain Top.

Deeluded one of the main incentives for Jim to become President was to make the Club more inclusive and get rid of that exclusive image. Yes there are a lot of us Melbourne supporters in the MCC and we come from all walks of life. Some MCC members save to pay for their membership some don't need to. I could spend the money I pay out for my MCC membership in better ways but I am trying to carry a legacy from my parents and pass that down to my children who I will probably have to pay for their memberships hopefully only in the short term. When at the Etihad I sit with a group of hard core Melbourne supporters not in the MCC members area. Your sense of exclusivity is not well founded. MFC/MCC members bleed the same and are feeling the same pain as everyone else. We do not sit there every week in the hope of getting an insiders tip on the stockmarket. Yes there are conservative elements in the MCC but there are in the general and reserved areas as well. We sit in the MCC like every other Melbourne supporter at the moment feeling helpless, disappointed and frustrated.

A few years ago Jim held a forum of Melbourne members. There were young, old, rich and poor but one thing bound us together was the incentive to get the MFC back on track again.

Don't tell me that in every other football Club there are those who are there because they believe they can contribute to their Club and there will always be those who are there for self grandiosement.

I don't know where you sit at the games but I would be happy for you to come and sit with us and get to know some very ordinary people but with an extraordinary passion for our Club. There will be many in the Northern Stands calling for Neeld's head and there will be others prepared to wait. You have made a general statement tarring all with the same brush. I hope out of the same sense of frustration that we all feel at the moment no matter where we sit.

• Like 3

Deeluded one of the main incentives for Jim to become President was to make the Club more inclusive and get rid of that exclusive image. Yes there are a lot of us Melbourne supporters in the MCC and we come from all walks of life. Some MCC members save to pay for their membership some don't need to. I could spend the money I pay out for my MCC membership in better ways but I am trying to carry a legacy from my parents and pass that down to my children who I will probably have to pay for their memberships hopefully only in the short term. When at the Etihad I sit with a group of hard core Melbourne supporters not in the MCC members area. Your sense of exclusivity is not well founded. MFC/MCC members bleed the same and are feeling the same pain as everyone else. We do not sit there every week in the hope of getting an insiders tip on the stockmarket. Yes there are conservative elements in the MCC but there are in the general and reserved areas as well. We sit in the MCC like every other Melbourne supporter at the moment feeling helpless, disappointed and frustrated.

A few years ago Jim held a forum of Melbourne members. There were young, old, rich and poor but one thing bound us together was the incentive to get the MFC back on track again.

Don't tell me that in every other football Club there are those who are there because they believe they can contribute to their Club and there will always be those who are there for self grandiosement.

I don't know where you sit at the games but I would be happy for you to come and sit with us and get to know some very ordinary people but with an extraordinary passion for our Club. There will be many in the Northern Stands calling for Neeld's head and there will be others prepared to wait. You have made a general statement tarring all with the same brush. I hope out of the same sense of frustration that we all feel at the moment no matter where we sit.

Very well said 'longsuffering'.

I dont like this idea that the next coach will struggle too. Even our previous coach was alright in comparison to Neeld. I fundamentally disagree that Dean Bailey effected a failed rebuild. 8.5 wins was about right in 2011. Ultimately Bailey may not have proven to be 'deep-September' but compared to Neelds effort he was a genius! In 2011 we were stuttering but when clicking we were exciting and fun to watch. Now we are a talentless disgrace.

I thought Neeld should've been sacked last year. I desperately hoped he wouldn't get a chance to carve up our list at seasons end and drive away talent. But despite the worst coaching effort and results imaginable in 2012 he got another year to hack away. Now I have been shown to have a limited imagination because in 2013 he has coached to new depths! His list changes are not a joke but a disaster and his motivation is beyond pathetic. The buck stops with him. He goes, we get another coach, we move on. Until then we are just a mess.

I dont like this idea that the next coach will struggle too. Even our previous coach was alright in comparison to Neeld. I fundamentally disagree that Dean Bailey effected a failed rebuild. 8.5 wins was about right in 2011. Ultimately Bailey may not have proven to be 'deep-September' but compared to Neelds effort he was a genius! In 2011 we were stuttering but when clicking we were exciting and fun to watch. Now we are a talentless disgrace.

I thought Neeld should've been sacked last year. I desperately hoped he wouldn't get a chance to carve up our list at seasons end and drive away talent. But despite the worst coaching effort and results imaginable in 2012 he got another year to hack away. Now I have been shown to have a limited imagination because in 2013 he has coached to new depths! His list changes are not a joke but a disaster and his motivation is beyond pathetic. The buck stops with him. He goes, we get another coach, we move on. Until then we are just a mess.

Just out of interest Demonstrative - When analyising Bailey did you take in to account his 7 wins in his first 2 seasons during Bailey's mini rebuild??

I admit that Neeld hasn't proven himself yet, but if you look at what's happened while Neeld has been coach of this club off field and on field no rational thinker would agree that Neeld has had a fair crack.

I personally think the majority just want to place the blame on Neeld and be done with it. I also think doing that won't solve any immediate issues at this club. I am glad someone as savy as Jackson has stepping in as CEO

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

UH, you are right, we can't just blame Neeld for this current debacle. That said, it is my view, just from observation; nothing else, that the players are not responding to him. I accept that the current list is below par, but we are not as bad as the current results suggest.

I am also glad Jackson is there, but I suspect his review, when finalised, will be brutal in its honesty and will not take any prisoners. There will be a few others in the administration who will feel pain, over and above MN.

I am also left to ponder, if MN had known the full extent of the paralysis within the club, would he have taken the job in the first place. For that, I have some sympathy for him.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

Please point out where I've said these results are acceptable?

Also David Parkin today said our current situation is not Neelds fault, pretty respected opinion right there, come back to me when you have some facts and not a gut feel

I see you've jumped on "acceptable" and dodged "expected".

I'll give you one fact - the most salient fact - that these results should not be expected or accepted. The coach himself didn't expect them. "Didn't see that coming" - then what's been his response since then - not to actually remedy the situation and have the team play to expectations - it's been to lower expectations - "we're less experienced than GC".

Take a look at Port Adelaide - they lost important players Pearce, Chaplin and McCarthy over summer, but they replaced their failing coach and president and they're showing signifcant improvement. Their leadership group is Boak, Ebert, Schulz, Gray, Hartlett and Trengove.

Yes it's not ALL Neeld's fault - we've got a poor midfield, major management problems and some unavoidable misfortune. But he hasn't delivered on his OWN expectations.

• Like 3

if that is the case there will be no spectators at the games. No demons fans and the opposition supporters would hardly be interested in turning up to watch the ensuing slaughter!!

Let's face it, even the seagulls wouldn't bother fronting!

Spot on! Lets get it done and move on and the sooner the better for all.

I'll give you one fact - the most salient fact - that these results should not be expected or accepted. The coach himself didn't expect them. "Didn't see that coming" - then what's been his response since then - not to actually remedy the situation and have the team play to expectations - it's been to lower expectations - "we're less experienced than GC".

Take a look at Port Adelaide - they lost important players Pearce, Chaplin and McCarthy over summer, but they replaced their failing coach and president and they're showing signifcant improvement. Their leadership group is Boak, Ebert, Schulz, Gray, Hartlett and Trengove.

Yes it's not ALL Neeld's fault - we've got a poor midfield, major management problems and some unavoidable misfortune. But he hasn't delivered on his OWN expectations.

Good post 55.

You can add that when he joined MFC he wanted MFC to be the hardest team to play against. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We just the hardest team to watch and support ATM.

But he hasn't delivered on his OWN expectations.

Its funny, i was thinking something similar this morning. Not so much meeting his own expectations as such more that as RR notes when his objective was to make MFC the hardest team to play against. He made it very clear that this was his goal (as opposed to say other measurements such as wins or ladder position).

So i would say this is more than an expectation - its is his chosen key measure of his success as a coach. Now, he is getting close to half way through his contract, more than enough time to have made significant inroads into meeting this fundamental measure and as demonstrated last week we are actually less difficult to play against than before he started (look at our pressure stats this year - they're appalling).

It is his own measure of success to be judged by and he has failed to meet it.

To that i'd add that a fundamental KPI for a coach (in any team sport) is that their team comes psychologically ready to play, that they play with effort and the required intensity. He has failed to meet that KPI and whilst the players have responsibilities in that regard i'm sick of Neeld deflecting responsibility for the lack of effort all onto the players.

He talks about people not worrying about his well being but instead worry about the players (see Burgan interview on Dee TV for the latest example - by the by i thought that gig was Robbos). Well perhaps he could help the players by accepting some responsibility for their lack of competitiveness.

I have not heard him once take personal responsibility for not meeting this KPI and i wish a journo would ask him about this and also to ask what he is doing on a personal level to improve his performance.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Interesting argument 55, i think i misunderstood your argument, anyway

I'll start by clarifying I'm pretty angry with where the MFC sits I do not like what I see at the club at the moment - what I don't like are unrealistic expectations, and I will try explain my point.

Example 1 - your argument about Pooort

You compare us to Pooort - have you even looked at the experience of the lists compared to each other? Who are our Boaks, Cornes, Hartletts, Westhoff etc and please also compare the AFL experience and quality leadership on the list to the leaders you pointed out earlier in our leadership group. Also please compare form and the availability of the talent to take the park in 2013 for us and Pooort and let me know if you think this is still a quality argument

Example 2 - expectations for season 2013

AFL commentator generally say after round 4 - 6 you get a real idea of where a team is at - please clarify where you think our team is at?

For mine unfortunately I think we are the equivalent of GWS - with a lot of young 40 game or less players with a handfull of leadership (which I will argue is just as inexperienced) - we have nowhere near the experience levels across the ground to be where I would love us to be

I cbf trying to find when Neeld exactly said we are going to re-build – but I would really be surprised if you could argue we are not rebuilding.

Bailey had 3 years (2 year rebuild) before we saw results – Neeld does not get this opportunity nor has he had a stable on of off field base to work with

Lastly - taking comments made in the media and spitting them out as gospel to what the coach actually thinks are his expectations are pretty limited in my opinion (what do you really expect him to say under such pressure? You can’t even uphold comment made under duress in a court of law), especially when they are not taken in context - for example the 'hardest team to play against' line. If you really believe Neeld has had the opportunity to develop that in to this team, that will tell me all i need to know about your opinion.

This is getting too long winded - I hope you get my point 55 - maybe expectation need to be reassessed by all of us

This is getting too long winded - I hope you get my point 55 - maybe expectation need to be reassessed by all of us

Sorry, you and Mark Neeld may be willing to reassess expectations to 25 goal defeats and 10 goal loss to GCS at home but I'm not.