Changes v Carlton

DeeSpencer

Will not matter one iota. Gibbs is looking doubtful so there is a tiny relief, but still wouldn't surprise if it was 100 points the way we're playing.

But that's okay, it's Carlton, they're meant to be top four, right guyz? Right.

Give the kids a run, what the hell. Pull the names out of a barrel. Grab someone off the street..they'll have as much confidence and understanding of our setups as the players.

• Like 2

Do you want have a third go?

Maybe it's just me (I don't think it is just me, but I felt like saying that..) but I'd have Tom McDonald over Sellar every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And it's a Sunday game....

Setanta 5 goals, Leunberger 3 both matches including multiple goals early in the match when the teams were pretty even. Not to mention McDonald's disposal which has gone from bad to worse at the moment. And another goal was created for a simple mark he dropped from a kick out.

Sellar on the other hand has only been given one shot in defense this year which was for a half against West Coast and he did a nice job. He's not old and he shouldn't have a limit on him as a defender. I know when used as a forward/ruck he struggles but down back he's yet to have a decent run.

When he came over from Adelaide the club and a bunch of Adelaide supporters said this guy has no confidence up forward but is a big body and a decent athlete and will make a good back up defender. How many goals does McDonald have to concede before its time to give our back up defender a run.

• Like 3

In: Strauss, Fitzpatrick, Viney, Dunn

Out: Rodan, McDonald, Pedersen, Jamar

How much worse could the real team be?

I see what you are trying to do in getting some youth in but I think that side is horribly undersized even against Carlton. I don't think Dunn has the size to play on Rowe or Hampson. Same up forward where you are leaving it for Fitzpatrick and Watts to man the key positions, both of who really get most of their ball on the run not by strong overhead marks.

I do like the idea later in the season to trial Fitzpatrick and Gawn as a combination. I just wouldn't do it without a Clark or Dawes up and about to give the forward line a big body. So for that reason I'd live Fitzy out and go back to Jamar and Pedersen.

Setanta 5 goals, Leunberger 3 both matches including multiple goals early in the match when the teams were pretty even. Not to mention McDonald's disposal which has gone from bad to worse at the moment. And another goal was created for a simple mark he dropped from a kick out.Sellar on the other hand has only been given one shot in defense this year which was for a half against West Coast and he did a nice job. He's not old and he shouldn't have a limit on him as a defender. I know when used as a forward/ruck he struggles but down back he's yet to have a decent run.When he came over from Adelaide the club and a bunch of Adelaide supporters said this guy has no confidence up forward but is a big body and a decent athlete and will make a good back up defender. How many goals does McDonald have to concede before its time to give our back up defender a run.

When you have a midfield as limp and weak as ours every defender is on a hiding to nothing. Frawleys, Garland and TMac have been dealt a proverbial type sandwich week in week out.

When the ball comes into the defence so often and so easily it's a defenders nightmare.

• Like 1

When he came over from Adelaide the club and a bunch of Adelaide supporters said this guy has no confidence up forward but is a big body and a decent athlete and will make a good back up defender.

If this is true, why would a club that had just lost Nathan Bock and Phil Davis delist him?

I see what you are trying to do in getting some youth in but I think that side is horribly undersized even against Carlton. I don't think Dunn has the size to play on Rowe or Hampson. Same up forward where you are leaving it for Fitzpatrick and Watts to man the key positions, both of who really get most of their ball on the run not by strong overhead marks.

I do like the idea later in the season to trial Fitzpatrick and Gawn as a combination. I just wouldn't do it without a Clark or Dawes up and about to give the forward line a big body. So for that reason I'd live Fitzy out and go back to Jamar and Pedersen.

The issue for mine is that we don't have a forward that clunks those marks outside of Clark and Dawes, who I wouldn't be rushing back against Carlton. Jamar and Pedersen are next to useless. Really, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Blease started well, until he copped that heavy knock - review will show it was high and I'm tipping that the Lions player will get a week.

That knocked the wind out of his sails.

Must stay in the team and play on the wing.

Viney, Dawes and Strauss to come in.

Cam P, Rodan and Davey to travel to Casey.

Blease isn't as good on the 'lateral step'... this gets him into trouble. Davey had to learn to run at angles when he went to half back.

I don't think Nicholson should come in at all. His form hasn't warranted it in my opinion.

.. at the moment, when we play so many superior Midfields, they are hurting us.. we need players who have great tanks & speed to be 'runwith' players, to pressure & stop opponents when they have the ball. (like Davey used to do successfully, even if with no physicality).

we get Hurt on the rebound, but we have to be able to defend first & our players can learn to be more effective with the ball use.

players who won't chase & won't tackle, are a nuisance to our team & the opposite of the culture we need to build into our (DNA).

without the players who will do the responsible things, we will continue to be smashed by strong teams, & this doesn't help earning respect from the competition.

Just for the record....Jack Watts.......16 possessions.....9 marks.....94% eff......2 goals......11 pressure acts...6 cont.poss

• Like 2

The issue for mine is that we don't have a forward that clunks those marks outside of Clark and Dawes, who I wouldn't be rushing back against Carlton. Jamar and Pedersen are next to useless. Really, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I think its good we are playing Gawn forward. He looks to be taking to it well is really good kicking for Goal, & IMO his leep @ the centre circle hasn't recovered yet.

Keep him 2nd ruck, & playing deep forward, as he's looking strong at it.

Against the Tiges, I wouldn't mind seeing Spencer in to ruck against Ivan Maric,,,,, Or Fitzy forward & 2nd ruck, changing with Gawn 1st ruck.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Just for the record....Jack Watts.......16 possessions.....9 marks.....94% eff......2 goals......11 pressure acts...6 cont.poss

shhh nobody cares about stats unless they are ANTI melbourne. Pointing out that a player used the ball well is not going to appease the haters. You will get more bang for your buck by again mentioning that Brissy had a lot more disposals than we did yesterday

• Like 2

FTR, Jamar clunked a big grab up forward and went back on the angle and kicked it. And he did not spend that much time up forward.

Fitzy is getting plenty of it at Casey and always seems to be getting on the end of multiple goals.

Can play forward and in the ruck and is pretty damn fast for a big fella.

In: Fitzpatrick

Out: Pedersen

MIFH.

• Like 2

Remember Brissie was without their best two onbalers in Hanley and Black.

Carlton will tear us a new one.

Not to mention Rich ??? And Yes , unfortunately Carlton WILL tear us apart !!! SADLY !!

28 half-hearted chases and refusals to run hard and apply pressure. "Pressure Acts" is a very generous term.

Chased his guts out, and was just about the only one. They may have looked "half-hearted" to the clueless, but if you take off your Watts-hater goggles and watch the game again (as I have) you will notice how often he was the only player in camera shot chasing and the amount of different spots on the ground he was doing it, he was buggered from being the only one chasing.

OUT: Pedersen, Rodan, Byrnes

IN: Dawes, Strauss, Viney

No.

If we are honestly trying to rebuild our culture we need to play those who deserve it, not just pick players based on their names. Plus, Byrnes out? Geez that's dumb.

So for mine it's:

OUT: Pedo, Rodan, Jamar

IN: Dunn, Spencer, Kent

Watts to take Pedo's spot forward, Dunn to take Watts' spot back.

• Like 1

Chased his guts out, and was just about the only one. They may have looked "half-hearted" to the clueless, but if you take off your Watts-hater goggles and watch the game again (as I have) you will notice how often he was the only player in camera shot chasing and the amount of different spots on the ground he was doing it, he was buggered from being the only one chasing.

Haha you are kidding. What about plenty of easy marks his opponent took whilst he trailed in behind. What about his tackling attempts that are just wrapping the arms around. No shoulder or force behind it.

His game on the weekend to me was a couple of kicks from the backline, 2 cheap goals and only one attempt when he actually jumped at the ball in the air.

Watts signature move is half hearted, it has been since he entered the league.

• Like 1

My preferred outs -

Pederson, Davey, Rodan

Ins -

Clark and Viney, if fit and fresh enough.

We will also need speed. We can't match them for class but we have to be able to keep up. I'd have Nicholson come in, for example, to put the tightest tag possible on Yarran (stay goalside! Stay goalside dammit!). To achieve that it may even be wise to drop one of the slower talls, or bring in a small runner and let Clark rest another week.

Having watched every Carlton game this year due to family/friend connections, I can only hope we can stop it becoming a hammering.

Haha you are kidding. What about plenty of easy marks his opponent took whilst he trailed in behind. What about his tackling attempts that are just wrapping the arms around. No shoulder or force behind it.

His game on the weekend to me was a couple of kicks from the backline, 2 cheap goals and only one attempt when he actually jumped at the ball in the air.

Watts signature move is half hearted, it has been since he entered the league.

I agree his tackling is weak, no argument there.

Honestly, if you can find a way to watch the game with no bias you will notice how often Watts was busting his gut as the only player chasing, and he was knackered from it.

That fact you called his two goals "cheap" tells me how unbiased your opinion is.

No.

If we are honestly trying to rebuild our culture we need to play those who deserve it, not just pick players based on their names. Plus, Byrnes out? Geez that's dumb.

So for mine it's:

OUT: Pedo, Rodan, Jamar

IN: Dunn, Spencer, Kent

Watts to take Pedo's spot forward, Dunn to take Watts' spot back.

We need to go a bit smaller than that to prevent a 20 goal loss.

I like Dunn in though. Hopefully the three Mosquitos will put him out of his misery and put him back in the Casey 2's where he belongs.