• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Which premiershp coach should the MFC throw a 5 year, $5 million contract at?

What

next MFC coach  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Demonland existed during World War II I suspect there would be calls to sack Winston Churchill 14 months in; and, perhaps more recenetly and relevantly, in 1988 there would have been calls to delist Jim Stynes.

Give the bloke a chance. I hate losing; I hate uncompetitive performances; but a culture of shafting a coach after less than 2 years is not going to encourage any quality candidates to apply.

Let's just get behind Neeld, his coaching team and the players.

Winston Churchill did Nothing for Australia ???? We would have sacked him for his lack of loyalty... Ask some of our WW2 Diggers..

Winston Churchill did Nothing for Australia ???? We would have sacked him for his lack of loyalty... Ask some of our WW2 Diggers..

dont forget he landed in the wrong place in ww1.

but what has this got to do with OUR club

dont forget he landed in the wrong place in ww1.

but what has this got to do with OUR club

Churchill ??? Absolutely nothing as I thought when the Winston Churchill name was brought up.... Totally irrelevant !!! This topic makes absolutely no sense at all and does nothing to contribute to our club's current situation. None of the names in the poll are or would be available and who really cares...?? We need to make decisions on NOW !! Not hypothetical bloody Prospective coach polls as we ran similarly when we sacked Bailey... Becoming an annual event on this site... Let's discuss current more relevant issues and dispense wiht these stupid hypothetical polls.. :lol:

The MFC cant afford to stuff around anymore, its time to get serious and axe another coach, pay another coach even more money, and when that coach tries to rebuild everyone will complain about the short-term results so then we should get serious and axe another coach, pay another coach even more money, and when that coach tries to rebuild everyone will complain about the short-term results so then we should get serious and axe another coach, pay anothercoach even more money... oh wait - we have already done this twice over the past 4 years

Who would bother with this club.

The supporters are too short term orientated and the list is untalented/full of lazy players

This exactly. Hardwick, Clarkson and Thompson all had shocking starts to their tenures and slowly turned it around over the course of several years. We need to suck it up and let the man coach. He has told us that the list isn't ready yet, repeatedly. For some reason people can't get their heads around that fact and keep expecting him to pull miracles out.

If we did for some insane reason sack him before his contract is up, then why isn't Gary Ayres on the list? The best of the best as far as VFL coaches go, has won multiple premierships with a team that has no AFL players in it. The chances of pulling one of the coaches in the poll are pretty slim, but if you made him an offer to coach at the top level, he'd have to consider it pretty seriously. No matter how bad we are, it's an opportunity to coach at the highest level again.

• Like 1

Hardtack and jazza, sincere thanks for the effort put in to answer that.

I'm going to come at this from a different perspective (for the sake of my own sanity). Before each game I'm going to think about what I think the final result will be, what I'd like to see in terms of team and individual player progression, and then judge accordingly from there. The thing is I would have thought we'd go down by 5 goals last week but I forget all that way too quickly when we make terrible skill errors and I scream at my TV.

I personally have an issue with the 18 month into a rebuild argument because we are 6 years in with nothing to show, but I'll take that issue up with the adminstration who have overseen that all.

Satyriconhome, you made some great points too, but in still mad at you for potting the Ox so I'm just going to take the D'Land easy option and ignore most of what you wrote ;)

• Like 2

Neeld is doing the dirty work that should in hindsight have been don around 2005.

of course we didn't realise,,,, & when (Rnd 13) 2007 came around, we could all see from the outside that things were crook around tallarook...

just how bad the list had rotted, were not realised at the time...

We really should have had a major fire sale there & then, trading some 'very outside big names'. And started the rebuilding with true leaders,,, Jnr, Neita, Jones & a couple of other hard workers.

This would have been a better foundation for the Youth policy we went on,,, with really hardworking & humble leaders, they would have shown the real way for the kids.

The draft would have been a better picking field, with the right boys leading the club. (we kept the wrong ones to lead)

...the AFL game changed to a defensive one,,, just as we changed coach, & we picked a free running offensive styled Coach... bad timing... & we recruited for that style...

Now the AFL has reduced the Interchange by (1), & the game has moved back slightly, to be both very defensive, but with rebound...

# We cannot afford to get another Coach who is Outright Attack!

We must rebuild this clubs culture as is happening Now,,,,,,,, & the fitness base as is happening Now,,,,,, & wait to see what transpires thru the remainder of the season...

We will be able to see how the players start to perform their defensive duties & the general spirit around the place.

...the changes are starting to happen & I can see more players getting chances soon. & this will change the face of our structure, & no doubt the gamestyle.

Sit on your hands & watch, wait & see...

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 4

We don't need to spend big money. We just need a proper committee to find the coach and we will get

a Ken Hinkley or Hardwick who understand how AFL is played and what to do to get to that level.

We could have had either of them.

A five-year, big money deal would be ridiculous for any coach. We would be better off spending the money on getting our recruiting decisions right. It wouldn’t have mattered if Leigh Matthews was coaching us in recent years such was the quality of our playing list.

Dennis Pagan was a great coach because he had Carey, Archer McKernan, Stevens and Clarkson had because he had Buddy, Mitchell, Hodge and Roughead etc. Both proved successful coaches because of their players and both were lucky to be given the chance.

• Like 1

We could have had either of them.

Hardwick has hardly set the world of fire........Hinkley ...lets just wait for more than 5 games shall we?????

A five-year, big money deal would be ridiculous for any coach. We would be better off spending the money on getting our recruiting decisions right. It wouldn’t have mattered if Leigh Matthews was coaching us in recent years such was the quality of our playing list.

Dennis Pagan was a great coach because he had Carey, Archer McKernan, Stevens and Clarkson had because he had Buddy, Mitchell, Hodge and Roughead etc. Both proved successful coaches because of their players and both were lucky to be given the chance.

Dennis Pagan was not popular with the players incl. Wayne Carey and especially Corey McKernan. One of the main reasons for the success of the NMFC at the time was that the playing group was very self motivated and held each other accountable to train and play at a high level.(Source Corey McKernan and Wayne Carey)

there is no silver bullet to the situation we find ourselves in, thats why everyone is at a loss to know whether we should sack Neeld or not!

Woosha, in my opinion, is not a good coach but as a premiership captain at the Eagles he is able to commant a great deal of respect from player at that club. He has always had good assistants around him.

I think Chocko WIlliams is a very good coach, but has got a comfortable job at the tigers and doesnt seem to be overly keen to coach again from what i see

Roos? Comfortable in life after coaching and would not come out of retirement for a role at the demons

Thompson - likley to be handed a lengthy ban for his fingerprints on the dank/wepon saga

Clarko - good coach, but has always had a good list, not sure that he would be keen for the Demon's job after coaching a highly skilled outfit at Hawthorn for so long

there is no silver bullet to the situation we find ourselves in, thats why everyone is at a loss to know whether we should sack Neeld or not!

Woosha, in my opinion, is not a good coach but as a premiership captain at the Eagles he is able to commant a great deal of respect from player at that club. He has always had good assistants around him.

I think Chocko WIlliams is a very good coach, but has got a comfortable job at the tigers and doesnt seem to be overly keen to coach again from what i see

Roos? Comfortable in life after coaching and would not come out of retirement for a role at the demons

Thompson - likley to be handed a lengthy ban for his fingerprints on the dank/wepon saga

Clarko - good coach, but has always had a good list, not sure that he would be keen for the Demon's job after coaching a highly skilled outfit at Hawthorn for so long

soooooo.... thats leaves us Scoot burns and ?!?!?!.....Serious question who are the highly respected Assistants going around now? Cameron is at GWS? i honestly cant think of to many of the top of my head?

Of course Mick is going to say that, Neeld is his protege.

As a coach, Mick is a motivator of people, whereas Paul Roos is a culture builder.

For all Malthouse time at Collingwood, he only won a one flag and as soon as he left -

so did the player motivation within the group.

Whereas when Paul Roos left Sydney, the culture was already deeply ingrained.

The players weren't playing for Roos alone, they were playing for the club.

The same goes for Geelong and Bomber, when Bomber left, the culture was still strong.

Collingwood hasn't got the best culture, look at all their off field discretions over the years,

even when Mick was there.

We need to chase a coach that has previously been part of a good culture.

Mark Neeld isn't the man for this club, I like the bloke, but he's not the coach for this club going forward.

Hopefully we get the next appointment right, it's the most important appointment in the clubs history.

Very well said TOS.

For me Roos is the choice and we need to get him at any price. GET HIM

Have voted for Paul Roos, but I have a gut feeling that Nathan Bassett will be the next big thing in coaching and when he gets a chance, suspect many other team will regret not hiring him.

We misjudged Nathan badly once, will we again??

He walked out on us

Disagree. Clarkson is a good coach, because he is innovative. Further, he built that list.

Once again, he built that list. It wasn't always a good list. Roos and Clarkson head my list.

If the only reason Roos would come was for the dollars forget it.

No self respecting successful coach would come to Melbourne so if we replace Neeld, and I believe he should see out the year, we need to actually put in some decent groundwork on the next wave of coaches.

Nathan Bassett has big wraps, so someone along those lines may be our only option.

Disagree. Clarkson is a good coach, because he is innovative. Further, he built that list.

And like Neeld, early in his coaching career everyone thought Clarkson was a lame duck...shouldn't Neeld be given the same opportunity to build his list and get it up and running?

• Like 1

Very well said TOS.

For me Roos is the choice and we need to get him at any price. GET HIM

Its a waste to bother right now... wait til Neeld has cleaned the club of the Rot, & see how he pans out thru the year... if he goes bad thru the 2nd part of the season, then look at it.

Roos would be excellent,, starting 2014 or after,,,,, IF HE Wanted to go again....

But IMO, he would not... with the 'decades old culture' of the club, & the players, he would be unlikely IMO. Unless he had the necessary support to smash the culture cycle that stops us from developing our kids.

Clarkson is clearly a good coach. However, I would argue that there are many good coaches out there and that Pelchen (and by extension Buddy) was the key behind him becoming a great coach.

Clarkson is clearly a good coach. However, I would argue that there are many good coaches out there and that Pelchen (and by extension Buddy) was the key behind him becoming a great coach.

clarkson, I can see it now. Clarko back for 2014, with all the old guard in tow... fagan, bruce, get green back, hell even corcoran may want a gig to.

What about Mark Harvey? Maybe not 5 for 5 but he wasn't exactly doing a lot wrong at Freo when they rissoled him for Lyon.

He is a senior assistant at BL isn't he? Comes from a similar background to Hird and Bomber, Sheedy coached and former premiership player.

Edited by waikikkamukau