Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

Neeld has had two thirds of his pre seasons now, with one to go, and I cannot see any improvement in the way we are playing the game, we are probably a lot worse this year than last. Can you point out one area where we have improved, one area where we are better than last year. Do you really believe that one more pre season will fix all the problems and improve our skills? He showed appalling judgement in recruiting 4 delisted players to top up the list.

If Neeld stays and we get walloped in the first game next year, what will you think?

If we get to the 5th game next year and the floggings continue, will you say it's time for him to go, or will you hold the line and say he should be able to see out his contract?

definately see out the contract.

your right again , he only has completed 2/3 of the job

i definately wasnt happy with rodan, i understand the 1 year term, just think its of no help to this list. even if he wins us a couple as sub, still dont think its worthy but wouldnt be the first fd to make an error

if we get walloped in the first game next year thats not a season ending moment .not seeing improvement is going to be the catylyst for what happens in 2015

i see a backline thats been learning to play different systems and this allows the team to make simple mid game adjustments which are considered critical by every coach in the game.,

i aslo see less handing out of free games,and more casey game time for players to adjust and improve the NEW skills required to play under the fd we have

dont worry robbie there are things that im not happy about.but number crunching critism wont get rid of this coach

Edited by jazza

The big IF Jackson and the board decides Neeld stays in 2014, then they should demand a minimum of 8-10 games or he goes.

I still think he needs minimum of 5-7 wins this year to keep his job. He must show improvement in the list, that's the bottom line.

No real signs of improvement equals failure as a coach.

Okay, so let's not teach our players any defensive part of their game.

Let's allow players to run around unchecked, unfit, ill disciplined and petulant.

Let's keep the NQRs that have been clogging our list for 5, 6 or 7 years.

Let's ignore that our draft selections have been pathetic.

Let's keep outdated training methods and snare a big win every now and then to keep the 'chaps' and the Redlegs happy.

You have no vision.

Obviously there needs to be a balance between defence and attack, but IMO Neeld has skewed our balance too far in favour of defence. We lack purpose with the ball in hand and our long-kicking-down-the-line game is ineffective when the opposition has time to set their defensive structures and it provides no overlap.

Our players are also too concerned with their opponents at stoppages, which usually means they are second to the ball and/or that our clearances are not clean. We are also too predictable in always hitting to Nathan Jones. Neeld’s approach would be fine if our midfield was of equal talent to the opposition, but it isn’t and so we are always on the back foot. We need to be more unorthodox in our tactics to compete.

This all means our forward line doesn’t have a chance as a result of our slow ball movement.

Geelong plays a great brand of football and should be the club we look to emulate.

And I prefer to base my analysis on what I see on the field rather than a ‘vision’ (or delusion).

"We lack purpose with the ball in hand and our long-kicking-down-the-line game is ineffective when the opposition has time to set their defensive structures and it provides no overlap."....

That's why we tried to go through the corridor and the middle quite a few times on the weekend, we just stuffed it up, Casey play through the middle as well, same game plan........the Midfield apart from Jones and Syliva won't have 50 games between them at the moment....although saying that Matt Jones is getting better and better each week

Obviously there needs to be a balance between defence and attack, but IMO Neeld has skewed our balance too far in favour of defence. We lack purpose with the ball in hand and our long-kicking-down-the-line game is ineffective when the opposition has time to set their defensive structures and it provides no overlap.

Our players are also too concerned with their opponents at stoppages, which usually means they are second to the ball and/or that our clearances are not clean. We are also too predictable in always hitting to Nathan Jones. Neeld’s approach would be fine if our midfield was of equal talent to the opposition, but it isn’t and so we are always on the back foot. We need to be more unorthodox in our tactics to compete.

This all means our forward line doesn’t have a chance as a result of our slow ball movement.

Geelong plays a great brand of football and should be the club we look to emulate.

And I prefer to base my analysis on what I see on the field rather than a ‘vision’ (or delusion).

Just look at JT and what Neeld has turned him into. All defence and zero attack.

Just look at JT and what Neeld has turned him into. All defence and zero attack.

He missed almost 3 months of preseason with a foot injury, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

• Like 2

I am glad you don't litigate. The bench in any jurisdiction would hold that your writ was vexatious and without merit.

if you can put sentences like that together,maybe you should litigate

He missed almost 3 months of preseason with a foot injury, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

And last year? FFS he is half the player under MN. Fact is he should not be playing ATM.

"We lack purpose with the ball in hand and our long-kicking-down-the-line game is ineffective when the opposition has time to set their defensive structures and it provides no overlap."....

That's why we tried to go through the corridor and the middle quite a few times on the weekend, we just stuffed it up, Casey play through the middle as well, same game plan........the Midfield apart from Jones and Syliva won't have 50 games between them at the moment....although saying that Matt Jones is getting better and better each week

I judge Neeld on what the MFC produces, not Casey, and I doubt we would have gone through the centre corridor more than 50 times in his 28 games as coach. And just because a game plan works in the VFL doesn't mean it will work in the AFL.

Then don't play him in the seniors, give him a run in the 2's and let him get his confidence back.

No, not really.

And yes, I don't litigate - it's a footy forum, we're talking footy.

Relax.

I'm very relaxed old chap. Sitting back with a courvoisier and a cuban at present. Talking Footy??? They should name a TV show after that.

• Like 1

We had players on Saturday doing things that haven't happened for a long, long time.

Col Garland leaving his man to crash a pack to help out Chip.

Dunn negating Judd the ENTIRE game.

JV and MJ helping Nate Jones to become a damaging ball carrier that he is.

Dean Terlich running in a straight line.

Tapscott finding his niche.

And the most exciting? Sylvia is starting to play like the player he can be.

We are getting there.

I hope we are getting there because at the moment we are putrid to watch.

But I'm not sure how you can close your eyes to what has happened this year and confine your analysis to last week's game.

In six matches I believe we have defended at a level above insipid for a paltry three quarters (first quarter against GWS, first half against Carlton). That's 3 out of 24.

So if anything last week's game appears to be the aberration.

I hope it's not and I really hope we are starting to get our defensive structures together. However, the overwhelming evidence provides strong support for the notion that at the moment we cannot defend.

• Like 1

2 of the 3 schools are in healthy middle class areas and the 3rd is in a high income zone. I know that over 85% of the kids at one go on to private schools in hawthorn. 25% of another, have no idea at the 3rd.

No mfc scsrves either!

2 of the 3 schools are in healthy middle class areas and the 3rd is in a high income zone. I know that over 85% of the kids at one go on to private schools in hawthorn. 25% of another, have no idea at the 3rd.

No mfc scsrves either!

So your basing that the coach should be sacked because in 3 schools there is less MFC jumpers........God give me strength....

• Like 1

The MFC brand was damaged long before Mark Neeld took over

He hasn't helped it much yet......... but has at least 38 games to improve it (if he makes it to the end of his contract)

Next argument........

• Like 3

It isn't about wins and losses. That is too broad a tool to use to judge.

I look for improvement between and within games and look to see if that is sustainable. There are a thousand other things I look for too, but whether we win the game means sweet FA in relation to our long term prospects of a flag.

The real world isn't black and white. There is glorious grey everywhere.

I agree this is not the time for knee jerk reactions about the coaching position but the jungle drums are beating. I like your approach and it resonates with me because it reminds me of another time when everybody seemed to be baying for the blood of one of our coaches.

I might be digressing a bit but, as a club we were in a sad and sorry state in 1986 when John Northey took up the coaching mantle. The Barassi five year plan had seemingly gone awry and although we started off well enough under Northey (but we lost the night series game against North Adelaide!!), we fell into a massive mid season slump with regular defeats in excess of 100 points. Carlton beat us by 116 points at the G, Essendon by 122 points also at the G and we copped a belting from Sydney by 124 at the SCG. Even wooden spooners St. Kilda (who only won one other game that year) thrashed us at Moorabbin by 52 points. I remember leaving VFL Park Waverley after another devastating defeat at the hands of Hawthorn (about 11 goals) and the supporters outside the ground were calling for Northey to be sacked. Then something unusual happened ...

Former Hawk Don Scott was a commentator (3LO I think) and, as I was driving home, I expected him to come out with a scathing attack on the club. Instead, he actually complimented Northey and the way he was coaching. Said he had a purpose in what he was doing and he just had to drill that into the players. He felt that eventually the players would get it right and improvement would come quicker than people might think.

I was gobsmacked and personally thought Scott was nuts but twelve months later, we clicked as a team and went deep into the finals.

I know the cirumstances are different today and Melbourne did end 1986 with a fair number of wins (mostly against fellow cellar dwellers) but, to overcome numerous debiltating morale defeating losses and 12 months later beat North Melbourne by over 118 points in our first final in 23 years was something to behold.

I don't think you're nuts AOB but, after seeing Scott's prophesy come to fruition all those years ago, I reckon you just might be onto something*.

* if not we're really stuffed :lol:

• Like 10

So your basing that the coach should be sacked because in 3 schools there is less MFC jumpers........God give me strength....

Where in my post do I even mention the inept one. Oh in your hesd 1+1 must equal 5.

keep him until the end of the year and then review his performance.

close the thread and move on

nothing to see here

:)

• Like 2