James Magner's Instagram today

We have players out there who have the temerity to live their lives after a loss.

We shouldn't be attacking them for it.

If you want to know why they weren't getting lashed at AAMI - talk to someone at the club.

I am not going to tell the players that there life is forfeit if they lose, and I will not condone Demons stalking and attacking Demons online.

thats not quite whats it about,...unlike you to miss the point

I will not condone Demons stalking and attacking Demons online.

I haven't gotten into twitter before, but this thread makes me want to sign up purely so I can have a few words to these blokes. Maybe we can get them so angry they actually attack the contest this weekend

• Like 2

thats not quite whats it about,...unlike you to miss the point

I can see what 'it is about', BB.

And it stinks that a fan precipitated what you are angry about.

James should not have reacted like that - but he didn't deserve to be treated like that.

• Like 1

I haven't gotten into twitter before, but this thread makes me want to sign up purely so I can have a few words to these blokes. Maybe we can get them so angry they actually attack the contest this weekend

Hhhmmm I see where you are going C&B ala the Waterboy. "Hey Waterboy water sucks, Gatorade is better....... H2O...... Gatorade.... H2O.... Eeeeeerrrrrwwww!" Wham attomic slam.

the fan reacted rpfc.. magner unwittingly started.

He wasnt playing yesterday but he is part of the same list, he is for all intents still participant, especially when unwittingly fuelliing a fire, a fire waiting to explode. If he couldnt be at least aware of the predicament all of Melbourne were in then hes none too clever

• Like 1

Hhhmmm I see where you are going C&B ala the Waterboy. "Hey Waterboy water sucks, Gatorade is better....... H2O...... Gatorade.... H2O.... Eeeeeerrrrrwwww!" Wham attomic slam.

"You're gonna need a blanket and suntan lotion, cause you're never gonna get off that beach, just like the way you never got into the NHL... you jackass! ... "

get-a-blanket-and-suntan-lotio_clink_lar

slightly off topic rant there DL. Just slightly.

Not really, what I'm talking about is an attitude & anger of the AFL players

the people jack up, pardon the pun, because so much is asked of us in terms of emotions, patience, & fund this or that away from gameday.

& some clubs are given armchair rides thru to September.

then the supporters get angry & grumbly, so get on the internet to voice their grievances. The players hear of it, and feel hurt & pressured, an isolated into their small relm.

this is where the divide happens, & animosity, arrogance & derision occurs. hence the comments we hear of on social media.

Its the money grabbing & management of the AFL, that is taking the game this direction. Its growth is all about the holy dollar???

Its time the AFL got back to grass roots with social clubs for the supporters who inturn may want to become members because they feel gratitude.

At the moment its all one way & its nearly not about footy anymore, but very nearly a multi corporate entity. (ie: soul-less)

• Like 1

I had to sign up especially to reply to this topic. I always vowed I would never stoop to this level but anyway....

It was probably not the wisest thing for James Magner to do- to have a shot at someone on social media.

However, people need to realise that him, and his team mates are actually PEOPLE. Yes they are fairly compensated for having to modify their behaviour to suit the masses, and yes, they choose to play footy as a job. But this does not mean that you, as a supporter has ANY ownership over these men and their actions. YOU do not pay their salary, the club does. If you are not happy about the way your membership dollars are being spent, DON'T SPEND THEM! Or contact the club about it! I don't understand why anyone would think they have the right to dictate how a football player chooses to spend his time based on his, or his team mates' form on the footy field.

As a MFC supporter I completely understand the frustration of seeing them lose every weekend. My kids are shattered every weekend. The other kids tease them at school coz their team are so $hit! lol!

But seriously, as if the players aren't trying! I know it may look like that, but if YOU were out there playing, would YOU try? Would YOU like to lose every week, to go home and read on these forums how crap everyone thinks you are, and how you should be 'handing in your pay that week'? Do you really think that they LIKE losing and just don't give a rats about winning?! They have so much more riding on this game than any supporter does, or ever will- its their job, and their passion! No-one feels the losses more than the players (and coaching staff I would guess) themselves, and it is so completely ludicrous to suggest that you as a supporter feel it more! They come off the ground absolutely shattered, wondering WTH went wrong, vowing to do better the next week, only to experience the same again and again.

I don't whats wrong with the team, I don't know if its the coaching, the 'game plan', the players' lack of skill and ability, the 'culture' at the club, the admin... I don't know.

But I do know that the players are trying their hardest, and they are absolutely gutted that they can't seem to get it right.

Put simply, they don't need keyboard warriors going on their social media (which they are entitled to have just like every other man their age) and making comments that they do not deserve to have a life because of how them losing a friggin football game makes YOU feel. Kind of like when they did the Harlem Shake, one of the only 'fun' things they have done as a group in a long time, and it took a very short amount of time, yet so-called 'supporters' still felt they had the right to criticise them for it, I mean WTF!?

Leave them alone, you don't own them and you have no right telling them what they should and shouldn't be doing.

*** I say 'you' as a collective 'you' for all the no-lifers commenting that they have a right to tell poor old James Magner and any other footballer/public figure how they can/can't spend their free time.

• Like 5

While theyre on the clock and thats everyday during the season they are accountable. Thats how professionals treat it. Time they did

• Like 1

While theyre on the clock and thats everyday during the season they are accountable. Thats how professionals treat it. Time they did

So I assume that you are thinking about work 24/7 as well, I certainly don't, I am with the other poster.

I post whatever I like on Twitter, the players should be able to as well

But then half the posts on this topic reflect the poster, flat track bullies.....

"Mum I put a nasty tweet and he tweeted nastily back, I am upset now"

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

I had to sign up especially to reply to this topic. I always vowed I would never stoop to this level but anyway....

It was probably not the wisest thing for James Magner to do- to have a shot at someone on social media.

However, people need to realise that him, and his team mates are actually PEOPLE. Yes they are fairly compensated for having to modify their behaviour to suit the masses, and yes, they choose to play footy as a job. But this does not mean that you, as a supporter has ANY ownership over these men and their actions. YOU do not pay their salary, the club does. If you are not happy about the way your membership dollars are being spent, DON'T SPEND THEM! Or contact the club about it! I don't understand why anyone would think they have the right to dictate how a football player chooses to spend his time based on his, or his team mates' form on the footy field.

As a MFC supporter I completely understand the frustration of seeing them lose every weekend. My kids are shattered every weekend. The other kids tease them at school coz their team are so $hit! lol!

But seriously, as if the players aren't trying! I know it may look like that, but if YOU were out there playing, would YOU try? Would YOU like to lose every week, to go home and read on these forums how crap everyone thinks you are, and how you should be 'handing in your pay that week'? Do you really think that they LIKE losing and just don't give a rats about winning?! They have so much more riding on this game than any supporter does, or ever will- its their job, and their passion! No-one feels the losses more than the players (and coaching staff I would guess) themselves, and it is so completely ludicrous to suggest that you as a supporter feel it more! They come off the ground absolutely shattered, wondering WTH went wrong, vowing to do better the next week, only to experience the same again and again.

I don't whats wrong with the team, I don't know if its the coaching, the 'game plan', the players' lack of skill and ability, the 'culture' at the club, the admin... I don't know.

But I do know that the players are trying their hardest, and they are absolutely gutted that they can't seem to get it right.

Put simply, they don't need keyboard warriors going on their social media (which they are entitled to have just like every other man their age) and making comments that they do not deserve to have a life because of how them losing a friggin football game makes YOU feel. Kind of like when they did the Harlem Shake, one of the only 'fun' things they have done as a group in a long time, and it took a very short amount of time, yet so-called 'supporters' still felt they had the right to criticise them for it, I mean WTF!?

Leave them alone, you don't own them and you have no right telling them what they should and shouldn't be doing.

*** I say 'you' as a collective 'you' for all the no-lifers commenting that they have a right to tell poor old James Magner and any other footballer/public figure how they can/can't spend their free time.

Well done with over-reacting more than Magner.

• Like 4

I hope the boys did go for a surf! I am a surfer myself (although I don't get to surf no where near as much as I would like) and I think it is one the best possible remedies to put yourself in the correct mindset to deal with and/or clear any problems I am currently facing. That time spent out the back sitting on the board whilst waiting for a wave is priceless - let the boys have a fu**ing surf!

Well done with yet again proving you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation :)

At least I can do it in one sentence.

• Like 2

But seriously, as if the players aren't trying!

Mate, how can you say that after you look at 120 minutes of football featuring recurring instances of

- Not going 100% at the man or ball for what can only be fear of getting hurt

- Refusing to run at 100% in order to keep your man in check and/or create an option for a teammate in possession

- Apparently lying down even more once the score has gotten away from them

- Showing no leadership, no talk, no enthusisam

Yes, I think it is fair game for people on here to accuse the players of not trying.

• Like 2

This a good example of why people in the public eye should not be on social media sites IMO

I struggle to see the upside compared to the damage it may do.

Footballers as a group are generally not rocket scientists

Why put yourself in the position to prove it to the world e.g. Mclean

Why is that they don't understand that a moments indiscretions is on public display forever.

If you want a private life keep it private.

If you chose not to then be prepared for the criticism

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

I hope the boys did go for a surf! I am a surfer myself (although I don't get to surf no where near as much as I would like) and I think it is one the best possible remedies to put yourself in the correct mindset to deal with and/or clear any problems I am currently facing. That time spent out the back sitting on the board whilst waiting for a wave is priceless - let the boys have a fu**ing surf!

Webber said he would use the surf as his remedy after the Vettel incident. You may have a point.

So I assume that you are thinking about work 24/7 as well, I certainly don't, I am with the other poster.

But then half the posts on this topic reflect the poster, flat track bullies.....

good attempt at straw !!

During season they are footballers 7 days a week ,like it or not.

Thats what you NEED to be today to be elite.

To be average....they just need to stick to current attitudes.

• Like 1

No they can't post whatever they like as they have a responsibility as role models due to the exposure of their words to the wider community as well as being the faces of very public organisations.

• Like 1