What Clubs Do You Love To Hate?

Irish Demon

Collingwood, because they were our arch enemies during our golden era. They 'stole' the '58 flag from us, thus interrupting a run of premierships that would have culminated in a 'never to be beaten' sequence of six on the trot. I loathe them and despise them, and my feelings have rubbed off on my eldest son. He has a Magpies sticker firmly glued on the inside bottom of his toilet bowl. Visiting the bathroom is extremely satisfying at his house!

Edit: spelling.

Although the filth won flags in 1990 and 2010 both Footscray and Collingwood have paid dearly for interrupting our winning run in the 50's.Footscray haven't won a single flag since that day in 1954 and the Collywobbles lost the 1960 1964 1966 1970 1977 1979 1980 1981 2002 2003 and 2011 grand finals.I guess it's true what they say about the Norm Smith curse! :)

• Like 1

Without doubt, Hawthorn.

We had some excellent players in the 80s, but kept on running into these pricks.

Their personnel sh*t me too:

Kennett

Clarkson

Mitchell - sniper

Lewis - same

Franklin - urgh (would look good in red 'n' blue, though)

Roughead

Even though it's nearly 20 years ago now just thinking about how we were inches away from being merged with Hawthorn still sends shivers down my spine.

Although the filth won flags in 1990 and 2010 both Footscray and Collingwood have paid dearly for interrupting our winning run in the 50's.Footscray haven't won a single flag since that day in 1954 and the Collywobbles lost the 1960 1964 1966 1970 1977 1979 1980 1981 2002 2003 and 2011 grand finals.I guess it's true what they say about the Norm Smith curse! :)

I know Irish. Isn't it great?!!

• Like 1

Yes it's been nearly 6 years since we last beat them in the QB clash.I hope we put that statistic right sooner rather than later!

Edited by Irish Demon

I think losing in Grand Finals is over-rated, esp in Collingwood's situation. Imagine if Melbourne had been to the well that many times since Ron jumped ship. I was reading the other day that Bob Rose (Collingwood coach in the 60's) had been offered a huge sum to play in the bush in the 1950's but knocked it back out of loyalty to Collingwood, where he was on a pittance. In the case of the '64 grand final we won but lost, with Ron becoming a football mercenary and tragic Bob going on to make history for successive grand final and finals losses until their breakthrough flag in 1990. The pies have been a finals team all through the modern era whereas we have been scratching around the cellar. All that history helped forge Collingwood's current identity, whereas our club well and truly left the building the moment after Barassi let go of the premiership cup.

• Like 1

I think losing in Grand Finals is over-rated, esp in Collingwood's situation. Imagine if Melbourne had been to the well that many times since Ron jumped ship. I was reading the other day that Bob Rose (Collingwood coach in the 60's) had been offered a huge sum to play in the bush in the 1950's but knocked it back out of loyalty to Collingwood, where he was on a pittance. In the case of the '64 grand final we won but lost, with Ron becoming a football mercenary and tragic Bob going on to make history for successive grand final and finals losses until their breakthrough flag in 1990. The pies have been a finals team all through the modern era whereas we have been scratching around the cellar. All that history helped forge Collingwood's current identity, whereas our club well and truly left the building the moment after Barassi let go of the premiership cup.

I suppose we were fairly respectable during the Northey years we should have played in back to back grand finals but we choked in that infamous preliminary final against the Hawks in 1987 and we played into september for 5 years straight.We could have used the Northey era as a foundation stone to revitalise this club as a force to be reckoned with but we blew it due to a wide variety of reasons.

Edited by Irish Demon
  • Like 1

Carlscum & Essencedrug...

Mainly Carlscum...

Both lying cheating dogs of clubs....

If the cheating between these sides is rife now....then how do people think these clubs won flags in the 80's so much!!!!!

• Like 1

Carlscum & Essencedrug...

Mainly Carlscum...

Both lying cheating dogs of clubs....

If the cheating between these sides is rife now....then how do people think these clubs won flags in the 80's so much!!!!!

It's hard to decide who to hate more the Brown Baggers or Essendope?I think i'll pick Carlton for poaching Barassi and trying to pressurise the AFL to give them more games at the MCG at our expense.

That's a fair summary bush. It sticks in my craw that Collingwood have been able to maintain their identity as a powerhouse club, while we have struggled to re-establish ourselves for the best part of 50 years. I'm envious of that, and it adds to my dislike for Collingwood ahead of all others.

• Like 3

As I said in a previous post, as the psychiatrist on the wonderful Fawlty Towers said "there is enough material there for a full conference", this topic and the 'most Punchable heads" topic really concern me about the mindset of so called footy supporters......hate, punch.....or are these topics just an indictment on modern society......it's just footy.........

.the only people in the world I would wish ill on are the bankers at Lehman Bros who got away scot free after destroying the retirement of thousands of people by their greed......but the fact that they got away with it is also an indictment on modern society and I have no control over that

the only people in the world I would wish ill on are the bankers at Lehman Bros who got away scot free after destroying the retirement of thousands of people by their greed......but the fact that they got away with it is also an indictment on modern society and I have no control over that

we wish

"America is not a country, its a fcuking business"

it might only be a line in a movie but it rings true

As I said in a previous post, as the psychiatrist on the wonderful Fawlty Towers said "there is enough material there for a full conference", this topic and the 'most Punchable heads" topic really concern me about the mindset of so called footy supporters......hate, punch.....or are these topics just an indictment on modern society......it's just footy.........

.the only people in the world I would wish ill on are the bankers at Lehman Bros who got away scot free after destroying the retirement of thousands of people by their greed......but the fact that they got away with it is also an indictment on modern society and I have no control over that

27863472.jpg

• Like 2

Problem is Rangey you may start a topic displaying humour but the hatred and vitriol embedded in some posters soon surfaces, rather destructive don't you think

I can't control the masses, Satyricon. I don't see much much if any vitriol in these threads anyway.

Public figures who take themselves far too seriously deserve a clip. It's the Australian Way!

Edited by Range Rover

The only 'club' I hate is GW$. Will do nothing but be a drain on AFL funds for years. Cannot understand this country's obsession with pandering to that particular area.

With regards to supporters, Norf have to be number one. A sadder bunch of flogs you will never see.

• Like 1

I can't control the masses, Satyricon. I don't see much much if any vitriol in these threads anyway.

Public figures who take themselves far too seriously deserve a clip. It's the Australian Way!

The Australian way....oh you mean the one alongside mateship, multiculturalism, a fair go and those other myths, the vitriol does not have to be overt Rangey, just putting my point of view, trying to balance the picture

Hawthorn, hate the club hate the supporters. They are arrogant, scumbag supporters that want to be Toorak Toff's. I also have a hate North Melbourne don't know why just do

Just exactly what I want the MFC to be.

It comes from winning games and GF's on a regular basis

• Like 1

1.Collingwood despise the Club and its supporters. I grew up with cousins barracking for the Woods and had to go to the football with them. Sheer agony. The day Ronnie Wearmouth (I think) king hit Flower before the game and nearly being beaten over head by a feral Collingwood supporter with her umbrella. Funny now but not at the time.

2.Essendon- witnessing supporters spit at their team as they went down the race and the disgraceful 2000 incident with Dean Wallis who knew prior to the game he was retiring.

3. Carlton - the most despicable, arrogant and unreasonable supporters and now even more given what they have got away with.

4. Hawthorn - pompous supporters and hate that they have come so far from the time of merger (and we haven't)

Quite like going to the football with Swans and Bulldog supporters - usually reasonable

I admire Geelong for what they have achieved and also love the chant Geeeeeelong - always makes me laugh

Richmond - what can you say. I just feel sorry for them - bunch of no hoper supporters - nearly as bad as Collingwood

Hey, "Longsuffering" ,it was Laurie Fowler that Wearmouth hit, not Robbie.(perhaps you made a typo?). I was still in the queue waiting to get in when that happened, but I heard the roar!

I think that was the day I went to VIC Park having had a short haircut the day before, and ventured through the black and white crowd in my Demon scarf. A huge tattooed Magpie supporter grabbed my scarf , sneered at me and said....."got ourselves a new scarf have we, BIG EARS,,,". I just said "yessir" and hurried away!

Not many Demon supporters know it, but we won our last three games at VIC Park...it had become a happy hunting ground! (the day Wearmouth hit Fowler wasn't one of them.)

Hey, "Longsuffering" ,it was Laurie Fowler that Wearmouth hit, not Robbie.(perhaps you made a typo?). I was still in the queue waiting to get in when that happened, but I heard the roar!

I think that was the day I went to VIC Park having had a short haircut the day before, and ventured through the black and white crowd in my Demon scarf. A huge tattooed Magpie supporter grabbed my scarf , sneered at me and said....."got ourselves a new scarf have we, BIG EARS,,,". I just said "yessir" and hurried away!

Not many Demon supporters know it, but we won our last three games at VIC Park...it had become a happy hunting ground! (the day Wearmouth hit Fowler wasn't one of them.)

Thanks JC It was Laurie Fowler - memories are fading. I remember my Dad telling me just not say anything but even as little as I was I knew then and there that they were scum.