Training - Monday 4th February, 2013

Slartibartfast

Got to training at about 9.30 while the boys were doing a slow lap.

Spencer, Jamar and Fitzy were doing a marking drill alone on the side and Stark, Clisby and Barry were doing some special lighter training in a separate group at the beginning but all joined the main group after the simulated match practice moving the ball from one end to the other.

Terlich was running a few slow laps early and then disappeared.

Gawn, Bail, Trengove, Clark and Tapscott were in rehab group and didn't join main training. Tappy just ran a few slow laps and I didn't see him after that. Trengove and Clark ran part laps at about half pace, not a jog but a reasonable pace. They then did some handball drills and some short gentle kicking over about 20m with their non injured foot. No sign of any discomfort from either.

Gawn ran lots of 40 metre lengths carefully timed and did some other exercises with Bail. Gawn looked stuffed at the end of it all but there was no sign of a limp or any discomfort other than the effort required.

The main group only trained for an hour and a half and finished just before 11. It didn't seem to be an exhausting session from where I sat but I think it's easy to overlook the effort put in.

There really isn't much to add to what's been already said in the training reports but I can say that Toumpas looked great as did Viney.

In one drill they were broken into three groups with one group at each end and one in the middle. It started with the ball being given to the group at one end and the group in the middle had to rush down to them and stop them having about 10 consecutive handballs. If they failed they had to sprint to the group at the other end for the same drill. If they stopped 10 consecutive handballs they then stayed down the end and the other group sprinted from one end to the other. I was interested in the players who were first to reach the other end and pleasingly Blease and surprisingly Fitsy were at the head of the queue on a number of occasions.

I know much has been said about Blease and his repeat 300m runs but in match simulation today he didn't looked stressed at all. He looks like he's now taking it all very seriously and if he stays injury free this year will be a bit of a stand out in the Lewis Jetta style I'd think. He appears so much faster than those around him when he has the ball.

The normal players looked good and not surprisingly the experienced heads got a lot of the ball - Grimes, Jones, Frawley, McKenzie.

Happy to answer questions.

• Like 23

Agree with your comment about Toumpas, he is all class. The work both Toumpas and Viney do to get the footy is amazing to watch, both different styles Viney is just a machine a hunter keeps tracking the footy until he gets it, where as Toumpas just gets to the right spots and demands the footy.

They are two players that just will complement each other and it won't be long before both are dominant midfielders.

We still have too many players that turn the ball over, we do have more quality in this department than years gone by, but there will be players in MFC jumpers this year that we will be crossing our fingers every time they get the footy.

• Like 2

Agree with your comment about Toumpas, he is all class. The work both Toumpas and Viney do to get the footy is amazing to watch, both different styles Viney is just a machine a hunter keeps tracking the footy until he gets it, where as Toumpas just gets to the right spots and demands the footy.

They are two players that just will complement each other and it won't be long before both are dominant midfielders.

We still have too many players that turn the ball over, we do have more quality in this department than years gone by, but there will be players in MFC jumpers this year that we will be crossing our fingers every time they get the footy.

I reckon Toumpas is a shot at the Rising Star award and is great value at around $12. A lot of focus will be on Viney but i think Toupas is classier and like Viney is ready to go.

I agree with the kicking. Long been an issue and will continue to be one for a while.

Thanks BB, great report.

I'm interested in this comment about Clark and Trengove:

"They then did some handball drills and some short gentle kicking over about 20m with their non injured foot"

I would have thought the foot which stays on the ground during a kick would take the most stress. Perhaps I'm wrong. But if they're kicking with their non-injured foot, I would think that the injured foot must be doing OK.

• Like 1

Thanks BB, great report.

I would have thought the foot which stays on the ground during a kick would take the most stress. Perhaps I'm wrong. But if they're kicking with their non-injured foot, I would think that the injured foot must be doing OK.

Interesting, I just assumed they wouldn't want the ball contacting the foot they injured. Clark was kicking with his left and Trengove with his right.

One thing I've noticed in match simulation is they want the ball in Jack Watts hands as much as possible when coming out of the back line. For everyone playing fantasy footy you should keep that in mind.

Watts will be our most important player this year.

I think Colin Sylvia has the greatest potential to influence our performances and results. If he has an inconsistent or poor year like every other year we'll finish bottom 5. If he can play consistently to his maximum (and everything else goes right) we can make the 8.

• Like 7

I think Colin Sylvia has the greatest potential to influence our performances and results. If he has an inconsistent or poor year like every other year we'll finish bottom 5. If he can play consistently to his maximum (and everything else goes right) we can make the 8.

Totally agree, IF he can put it all together he can play at an All Australian level and be the difference in alot of close games which in recent years has been the difference between 14th and 8th for alot of teams.

One thing I think we can be guaranteed.. One way or the other, this will be the last year we ask when.

• Like 6

You could be right. The injury he copped in the NAB cup last year was a shocker and really made it hard for him to play to his potential. In a team lacking x factor Col's natural ability is crucial.

With Col Sylvia, if he gets throught the last couple of weeks of pre season and the NAB Cup unscathed it will probably be the first time ever since his very first season, let's not try and jinx him, spoke to him at trainging the other week, he wants to really show people.

Supporters need to realise that if you don't get a full preseason under your belt, you are playing catchup...so don't go expecting great things from Clark first up

• Like 1

Colin Sylvia survived Neeld's list cull.

That says a lot to me.

I will be watching Col very closely in 2013

That goal he "stole" from Essendon last year at the Punt Rd. end is still in my mind.

He can do it...

Watched it again the other night. One thing that came out of watching the Essendon game again was the impact Rivers had on the game that night. I will be interested in how we fill his role this year and with whom. (That game also confirmed to me that Moloney and Morton had to go.)

Watched it again the other night. One thing that came out of watching the Essendon game again was the impact Rivers had on the game that night. I will be interested in how we fill his role this year and with whom. (That game also confirmed to me that Moloney and Morton had to go.)

People on here will hound me no doubt, but Moloney leaving is a huge positive. He was a total non contributer last year. If he had pulled his finger out for the jumper the team would have been a lot closer to winning.

His leaving has freed up the midfield.

Jones is the creator now...his endeavour can now be complemented.

• Like 6

Gawn, Bail, Trengove, Clark and Tapscott were in rehab group and didn't join main training. Tappy just ran a few slow laps and I didn't see him after that. Trengove and Clark ran part laps at about half pace, not a jog but a reasonable pace. They then did some handball drills and some short gentle kicking over about 20m with their non injured foot. No sign of any discomfort from either.

What's going on with Tapscott? I remember at the start of pre-season he was attached to Jones, now he seems to have cemented a spot in the rehab group.

Can anyone shed some light on his injury?

• Like 1

I agree; Moloney's absence from the group should do nothing but improve the team's dynamic.

This club needs leaders who lead through example, in this regard there is a massive chasm between the respective attitudes of Jones and Moloney.

What's going on with Tapscott? I remember at the start of pre-season he was attached to Jones, now he seems to have cemented a spot in the rehab group.

Yep he pulled up a bit sore at Friday's session, nothing serious apparently & will be back in full training next week.

• Like 1

I spoke about this after chatting with Fitzy last week, they have to report the slightest niggle and it is checked out and they are put in the rehab group to work through whatever the issue is, if at all, so Tappy must have a niggle somewhere, Grimes spent the first four or five weeks in the rehab group, he is fine now

Terlich has obviously been diagnosed with concussion so he is allowed to do very little.

Everything is much more professional now, there won't be players 'hiding' injuries, or being given a game if not fully fit

• Like 1

Yep he pulled up a bit sore at Friday's session, nothing serious apparently & will be back in full training next week.

And if you ask the player or coach of course you will never get the truth, I asked Dawes, Grimes, Jones et al when they were in the rehab group and they were all just a bit 'sore'.....professionalism again

People on here will hound me no doubt, but Moloney leaving is a Huge positive. He was a total non contributer last year. If he had pulled his finger out for the jumper the team would have been a lot closer to winning.

His leaving has freed up the midfield.

Jones is the creator now...his endeavour can now be complimented.

Its actually not last year that concerned me - it was his B&F year. The gulf between Beamers contributions and non contributions ( against better teams) was noticeable. Jones on the other hand goes hard at it every single week.

I spoke about this after chatting with Fitzy last week, they have to report the slightest niggle and it is checked out and they are put in the rehab group to work through whatever the issue is, if at all, so Tappy must have a niggle somewhere, Grimes spent the first four or five weeks in the rehab group, he is fine now

Terlich has obviously been diagnosed with concussion so he is allowed to do very little..

Everything is much more professional now, there won't be players 'hiding' injuries, or being given a game if not fully fit

Yeah every day every player has to give a score out of 10 for how they are feeling in a number of areas. Back, hips, legs, etc. They also have to note how much sleep they get, general energy level etc.

They feed all this into their iphone or whatever and the fitness staff receive it all via the net.