Nine Days in the Top End

Barney Rubble

I hope that's not the "Exclusive Brethren" ?

Of course-

if they catch me on the internet they will

steal my savings and banish me from my family .

But they only do it because they LOVE us.

OK at least you're reconciled to your fate.

I make a fricken mint in Tax incentive schemes so it all works out .

So you're not just a shallow poster with a pretty face?

I can get deeper than Jacques Cousteau.

Tassie was s3wn up by Hawthorn...............and New Zealand?.....bad enough playing a Mickey Mouse game in London or Los Angeles....Kiwi interest would be non existent.......do you go to Darwin, I do, the crowd is not the biggest but the actual interest is.....

I think the "Market in NZ" is a whole lot bigger than you makeo ut, it is 4 Million infact especially if it isa game or 2 a year i bet the average sporting nut will turn out plus those with an ex pat or genuine interest.

I am a student at present but will aim to go to as many away games as i can over the journey, done perth, but would be dead keen on Tassie or NZ before Darwin,

And think the market is much bigger, hence North going to Tassie now

• Like 1

I think a lot of you miss the conditioning aspect of this trip. Heavy exercise in climates like Darwin take a bit of getting used to.

Not all our football is played at the MCG and several games are played in tropical or semi tropical cities (Darwin, Brisbane, Gold Coast).

So when we play in those cities the team will have a better idea of how to deal with it.

But, I know that as I train/run daily here in Bangkok (tropical/humid) and come back to Melbourne (miserable cold winter) and run, I have benefited from exercising in the tropics. It might sound silly, but no more silly than the rather expensive trips to be trendy and train on the top of an American mountain (could gain the same benefits at Falls Creek - just about as high). And they are not silly...just cost a lot more than going to Darwin.

The point is that radical climate change brings a lot of long term benefits when you come back "down to earth" (or in this case, the MCG).

I am not a doctor or a sports scientist, I just know from my own experiences, that it works.

And, if also helps bring about wins in Darwin, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, because the team is more able to cope with the heat, you might find more Melbourne teams might be doing what we are doing in a couple of year's time.

Melbourne being at the cutting edge of training is not something we are used to.

• Like 8

I think a lot of you miss the conditioning aspect of this trip. Heavy exercise in climates like Darwin take a bit of getting used to.

Not all our football is played at the MCG and several games are played in tropical or semi tropical cities (Darwin, Brisbane, Gold Coast).

So when we play in those cities the team will have a better idea of how to deal with it.

But, I know that as I train/run daily here in Bangkok (tropical/humid) and come back to Melbourne (miserable cold winter) and run, I have benefited from exercising in the tropics. It might sound silly, but no more silly than the rather expensive trips to be trendy and train on the top of an American mountain (could gain the same benefits at Falls Creek - just about as high). And they are not silly...just cost a lot more than going to Darwin.

The point is that radical climate change brings a lot of long term benefits when you come back "down to earth" (or in this case, the MCG).

I am not a doctor or a sports scientist, I just know from my own experiences, that it works.

And, if also helps bring about wins in Darwin, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, because the team is more able to cope with the heat, you might find more Melbourne teams might be doing what we are doing in a couple of year's time.

Melbourne being at the cutting edge of training is not something we are used to.

Dont forget Perth. It can get really hot over there in early season games. On NZ the game will never succeed over there. They are only interested in Rugby because they are so good at it and they can at least beat Australia at something. There are some minor AFL leagues over there but they are usually ex-pats playing. There may be a little interest in the initial game but that interest will not be sustained. Rugby is just such a well organised sport over there and the All Black players are held up as gods. If you think the AFL have thrown the big bucks at GWS to make it succeed they will have to throw even bigger ones at a team in NZ. This idea that AFL to be successful has to go international seems ludicrous to me. Sorry to all for being off topic.
  • Like 1

BK indeed, seeing the article on MFC.com.au and Neeld's comments about the trip they have invested a bucket load if research time into this. They also said it might not show immediate benefits, outside of the mental side of things and team building but will in the long run physically and yes who knows maybe we will be leading the way on this for other teams for once. Teams were all doing Kokoda a few years a go with everyone from commentators to players to clubs flagellating themselves on the benefits of it, don't recall any teams going for a few years now. Didn't Byrnes do Kokoda on his own in his holiday; oh my god is he going to keel over with 2 trips to humid conditions??

Overall I think the Dee's are sure it will not be anything other than a plank in the overall long term program to get these players to improve. It is not going to be a panacea it is part of a number of different strategies of doing things to get this group over the top, while laying the foundations for long term success.

This isn't designed as some Mission impossible its a Misson Possible !!

This guy surely knows what hes on about. He thinks its a good idea with lasting benefits' well ill believe him.

Ftr falls is a long way short of colorado "hills"

Gday Fellow Dee's.

As some of you might be aware I'm based in Darwin for work and have been for 8 years now.

I went out for dinner with the boys up here last night and it was great to see Col as I wont get home for Xmas. All the boys seemed pretty happy & nervous from what I could gather. Everyone was joking around, especially about their 5 star (1star) accommodation!!

Robertson Barracks is situated about 20kms from Darwin out the road in the middle of kinda nowhere I guess. They do have quite a full range of facilities there from what i could see.

Now....the weather.... What I can tell you is the last 5-6 days are the hottest for humidity I have ever experienced. Yesterday was Darwins hottest December day in 36 years. The mercury peaked at 36'c, while that may not seem too hot it is very hard to explain the hidden heat of the humidity, the bureau up here says add 8'c generally to get a feel for what it feels like, for eg: 36'c actually feels like 44'c.

This time of year is called "the build-up", it is a build of heat,pressure and humidity where it will be stinking hot all day, threaten to rain but never does until one day it will finally let go and officially kick start the wet season, this is called the knock em' down rains. We have had a little bit of rain which has only made it more humid. It is by far the hottest "build-up" Ive experienced since 2004 & all locals would agree.

Sorry I havent got much footy news but it was just good to see everyone and not talk footy, if that makes sense?! Everyone is gutted about Trenners also. They are catching up with Aussie while they are here also.

Now I'm not au fait with the benefits of training in humidity so if theres any doctors or sports science gurus who would like to inform us??? I just find it odd that Misson says it takes 3 years to reap the rewards of training up here but we only train once a year for 3 years up here...how does that work!!!? He's the expert though so I'm sure hes correct. They will certainly lose some weight!

Anyway guys, thats all I have, sorry its not much but thought you might find the weather interesting at least. Hope you all have a great Xmas & New Year.

The jungle drums are a beating & the Dee's are a comin!

Cheers,

Hells Gates.

• Like 17

I don't know the benefits from a sports science perspective, but the bonding that will happen over the next 10 days will make us a better team. To stay together, as a team for this period of time plus face the challenges together should bring our team closer.

• Like 3

dont step on the Taipans !!!!! wtf !!! lol ( I HATE snakes !! )

• Like 1

We have been to Darwin for the game and a holiday for the three years now, my lovely lady could not understand why I was so paranoid about her not walking off the marked tracks when we went bush, after hearing the briefing from the guy at Robertson Barracks she now understands......the look on some of the players faces was priceless!!!!!!

Tassie was s3wn up by Hawthorn...............and New Zealand?.....bad enough playing a Mickey Mouse game in London or Los Angeles....Kiwi interest would be non existent.......do you go to Darwin, I do, the crowd is not the biggest but the actual interest is.....

Yes, but Hobart was an option...

Agreed, you can get altitude sickness in Colorado, not at Falls Creek.

I understand that. I am also not sure at what height the training camps are at. But Falls Creek has been used for many years by marathon runners as an altitude training venue during the summer months.

Anyway, my point is that what we are doing is new and we are not following the leader, as we have done in the past.

It might not work, but we won't die without knowing...

Go Dees !!

• Like 1

But MFC picked Darwin, which we have to ourselves, we get paid to play up there, we are building a good community base, the players actually like going there....what is not to like?

Spot on, I too am struggling to see a negative.

With all the things that have been wrong with the MFC over that last 6 -7 years

surely this is one for the positive side of the ledger!

• Like 1