The end of 'bruise free' football at the MFC

Ron Burgundy

It's officially over. No more choir boy stuff.

As the AFL world knows, upon securing the senior gig, Mark Neeld stated:

"I simply want to coach the team that is the hardest to play against in the AFL. That means all over the ground we're going to be the hardest to play against. There will be a number of components that come with that."

He was ridiculed for saying this, including by some posters here.

Well, who's laughing now?!

He has taken to the soft players on this list like Tony Montana. And he has replaced them with hard, fiercely competitive players who are determined to succeed.

This bloke is the real deal. He endured a simply ridiculous amount of carp last season, virtually from day one. Strangely, the anti-Neeld voices have gone quiet. Eerily quiet.

We will only field "hard" teams from now on. Of that, have no doubt.

Thank you Mark Neeld. Thanks very much.

Bring on 2013.

• Like 26

Ron, I am man enough to put my hand up and say that I had concerns of a few things that Neeld done throughout the last 12 months, none more so than making Trengove a co-captain. He even summed it up perfectly during the year when he commented about putting blind faith in players. Well, I refuse to put blind faith in Neeld. I want wins, followed by premierships. Yes, I acknowledge the fact that he had to make changes, and those changes were going to take time. I have patience, it is a prerequisite to barrack for the MFC, but he also has a timeframe where I expect improvement. This is the year (2013) where I expect it, and the following year, and the years after that.

I'm quite sure Neeld himself wouldn't want it any other way. He would want people questioning his decisions, that's not to say that he should be a puppet, but it's the sign of good management if you process the feedback you get. He's still learning, he will make mistakes, but it's what he learns from those mistakes that will decide if he is a good coach or not.

Until then, I'm on the fence, and will try not to get splinters in my arse. As long as the evidence keeps coming in, like it has over the past 6-8 weeks, I'll be happy to keep an open mind about his coaching ability. The thing that I'm the happiest about is that he has/helped remove players like Petterd, Rivers, Moloney, Green. I think this was 12 months too late (I know I'm likely to cop it for that comment), and have no doubts that Neeld should've made those decisions this time last year.

• Like 5

Ron, I am man enough to put my hand up and say that I had concerns of a few things that Neeld done throughout the last 12 months, none more so than making Trengove a co-captain. He even summed it up perfectly during the year when he commented about putting blind faith in players. Well, I refuse to put blind faith in Neeld. I want wins, followed by premierships. Yes, I acknowledge the fact that he had to make changes, and those changes were going to take time. I have patience, it is a prerequisite to barrack for the MFC, but he also has a timeframe where I expect improvement. This is the year (2013) where I expect it, and the following year, and the years after that.

I'm quite sure Neeld himself wouldn't want it any other way. He would want people questioning his decisions, that's not to say that he should be a puppet, but it's the sign of good management if you process the feedback you get. He's still learning, he will make mistakes, but it's what he learns from those mistakes that will decide if he is a good coach or not.

Until then, I'm on the fence, and will try not to get splinters in my arse. As long as the evidence keeps coming in, like it has over the past 6-8 weeks, I'll be happy to keep an open mind about his coaching ability. The thing that I'm the happiest about is that he has/helped remove players like Petterd, Rivers, Moloney, Green. I think this was 12 months too late (I know I'm likely to cop it for that comment), and have no doubts that Neeld should've made those decisions this time last year.

you should not cop it for that comment. Alot of people sit on here waiting for arguments.

That is a fair comment, nothing that Mark Neeld has done (except for Mitch Clarke) has proved to be a match winner.

I mean we won 4 matches for the year and 3 of those 4 were again new sides.

Although i like Neeld's grand plan (what it appears to be) we do not know.

So good on you!

• Like 2

It'll be like Ten Pin bowling on that forward line.

Clark, Dawes & Pedo crashing through those opposition backs.

Leaving the likes of Sylvia, Blease, Toumpas, Byrnes, Rodan & Davey to mop up the carnage.

I'm salivating like Hannibal at the thought of it.

Go Dees

Edited by Chippy

He has certainly changed the list IMO for the best.

However I will wait and see if his selections are champs or chumps.

However can we be worse than 2012 I doubt it

Was home yesterday with a cold. Watched the Saints game on Fox. Concentrated on 3 players who have left and one who is still here.

Morton was softer than butter and totally useless. Flash was worse. Beamer didn't go the ball on several occasions, trying to bump and conceding possession. Bate was slow and clumsy.

To Port,

Round 1 2013 you are going to be smashed beyond belief,

It is in your best interests to forfeit and stay at home in the fishbowl that is Adelaide..

The Hibernation Demon is about to awake...Expect him to be...Angry..

Yours Sincerely,

Melbourne Demons

• Like 2

To Port,

Round 1 2013 you are going to be smashed beyond belief,

It is in your best interests to forfeit and stay at home in the fishbowl that is Adelaide..

The Hibernation Demon is about to awake...Expect him to be...Angry..

Yours Sincerely,

Melbourne Demons

It does make for an interesting game against Carlton when we play them. I'm quite sure there would be a few of the new blokes not impressed to be lining up against blokes that called their new team "bruise free". As long as we hit them (fairly), and hit them, and hit them, I'll be happy. Not fussed about the score, as long as brainless Robinson is hurting by the end of the game, I'll be satisfied.

Guest Deemand

It does make for an interesting game against Carlton when we play them. I'm quite sure there would be a few of the new blokes not impressed to be lining up against blokes that called their new team "bruise free". As long as we hit them (fairly), and hit them, and hit them, I'll be happy. Not fussed about the score, as long as brainless Robinson is hurting by the end of the game, I'll be satisfied.

I want to see J.Viney run straight over the top of Brock Mclean at pace!!!! forget Robinson (absolute muppet), Tappy sorted him out last match

• Like 1

I think SuperMitch will be sorting a few blokes out next year with his size..Jack V just has to get his tank right and then he will be into the rough stuff I reckon.

But,maybe he is ready we will find out.

Yeah..Robinson is a tool..lucky he has been in a half decent side...he's not much chop really.

Its actually a bit exciting heading into next year with the changes made by MFC to the list.

I see light.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves but I think we are heading in the right direction. This turnover of the list feels pretty similar to the clean out held at the end of 1997 when ND came in and wasn't playing favorites (that would come later). There is more balance to the list. We have plenty of kids. We needed some older heads to help them out!

That being said, this club ruined Brad Miller. It could do the same to Jack Viney!

Was home yesterday with a cold. Watched the Saints game on Fox. Concentrated on 3 players who have left and one who is still here.

Morton was softer than butter and totally useless. Flash was worse. Beamer didn't go the ball on several occasions, trying to bump and conceding possession. Bate was slow and clumsy.

Also saw that it made me sick to rewatch it but you also see much more than during the season

That game( was it rd 5 )was winnable like many others we were not fit enough and senior players couldnt give a stuff other than Dunn. Watched Rd 6 v Geelong we were in it 14 points mid the 3rd quarter again ran out of legs There Is no excuse for that in a professional team Lets hope at least we are the toughest and fittest in the league Even if no skills thats enough to stay in the game

Rivers was a free agent and had a fantastic 2012 season. What are you talking about????

I love how the off season brings us so much hope.

I felt this way this time last year but where did we end up?

I don't want to get high with hope just to be slammed down to earth in 6 months.

Let's be realistic here, I would be happy to see us play competitive football, if we are just out side the 8 and above Richmond at the end of 2013 I would be happy.

2014 will be finals.

I really want us to come out and physically belt Richmond round, purely because they have this attitude that they are tough as nails. If we can monster and even intimidate them I'll be very happy.

PS I really don't like losing to Richmond either.

Guest Demon Abroad

When we stop getting beatan up and bullied by the Hawks then that will feel like the tide has turned...our matches versus them have epitomised our last several season....to weak, pushed around, bullied not good enough for anywhere near long enough...many of these clashes were round 1 and felt like they set the tone for the season.

As for Neeld, I don't think anyone can really claim to have any idea if he can coach, but we do know he is prepared to make the tough calls and will do everything in his power to succeed. Now that he has a bit more of a balance and competitive (we hope) list we can start to find out if he can in fact coach.

• Like 3