Caroline Wilson's descent into gutter journalism

titan_uranus

Good post. I feel the same. I am 60 and have supported them all my life. My wife and kids the same. Never seen them win a flag. Copped [censored] from other clubs fans all my life but never strayed. I started the first supporters club magazine, called Demon's World. I started a supporters group called the Premier's Club. I have been a Director of the club. I have been Team Manager of the club. I brought in a new President, Wayne Reid. I am a Foundation member. I am a sponsor. I enjoy Demonland. I have given all my hope and soul to this club. I don't want anything but success for the club.

I have watched Boards fight each other. I was even part of one big fight. I nearly cried at the merger meeting when I saw the way people treated the late Tiger Ridley, a true Demon great. I have seen the club tear itself apart. This year I watched as Jim passed away, not long after two other Demon greats in Sean Wight and Stewart Spencer. I watched a sponsor stuff us up. I watched the Jurrah situation. I watched as our Coach was falsely called a racist. I watched the team get smashed week after week. I watched the media go to town on us and they still are.

It just seems so unfair. Other teams cheat and win Premierships. We are the only team to win a game that losing would have given us a priority pick and we did it twice. When we did get a pick the kid spent a year lying to us and his dying President before the AFL took him away from us. There is so much more i could go on about.

We seem to spend all of our time worrying about our club. It nearly makes you want to cry and give up. However that is just not acceptable as I have my children and grandchildren who I want to one day enjoy success that I have been denied.

Stop the fighting amongst each other and all get behind the club.

If we lose draft picks I want this club to fight all the way and I mean all the way. We owe it to those who came before and those who will come after. I don't give a rat's arse what we have to do to prevail in this situation, I just want it done. If we have to bring in every other club or destroy Demetriou or hurt the AFL I don't give a sh-t anymore. I have had enough.

Yes we may have been naughty but no different to many other clubs yet we alone once again are copping it. Our brand is being trashed and our future hampered and in fact put at real risk. We have 40 or so players who want to win for us and we need to support them. I don't care how dirty we need to be just do it.

We are seen as a weak club. NO BLOODY MORE. If we lose draft picks, we should hit the Courts, rally at the AFL and show the rest of the clubs that we are here to stay.

Sorry for the rant, I have just had a gutful.

I just want to give you a big hug redleg thanks for that post.

BTW, 54 likes, which represents the majority of Demonland. It is impossible not to like this post if you are a true demon with good intentions.

ADC or Hazy did not "like" this post. Pretty much reveals their true intentions to me..

• Like 8

The only game of football i have seen where the MFC looked like they were not trying to win was the Geelong game which got Bailey sacked. Sadly were were just very, very,very,very poor on the day - nothing more, nothing untoward. If it had been played out in the year in question it would have been put forward as a 100% watertight case and proof that we tanked!!! Funnily enough we were a much better side in 2011 than previous years.

During that so called tanking season when we did win we were so poor as a team that there should have been game fixing investigations!!!!!

Have any of you guys met CC before?

I'd say its highly likely that he said to the room that they'd be fired if we didn't get a priority pick.

That's his sense of humour down to a tee.

Problem is, how does that look to investigators?

Surely the club couldn't be sanctioned over a flippant comment??

Absolutely the club can't be sanctioned over this. Flippant or not, there would have to be evidence that actions were taken to loose games, as a direct result of directions given. I agree if he said it then it was probably in a humorous way. Even if he said it in anger, then who knows he may have countered it 10 minutes later with, "you all know I was only joking". In which case there is absolutely no case to answer.

I have just got around to reading the HUN's scoop for today. What a joke!! Talk about feeding off scraps.

Keep all this info MFC...We shall rip them all to shreds when our day is granted.

The newspapers are now driving this agenda, not just reporting...

Only idiots could have put this club in the mess it is in and now they are invoking the idiots defence. Play the dumb dora routine.

Think back to how well they played the Scully card last year, which ended up with the picks equivalant to the Cats for Ablett

Wait for the outcome before you comment, but then again you get no self gratification of twisting a knife at a time like this.

• Like 3

I have just got around to reading the HUN's scoop for today. What a joke!! Talk about feeding off scraps.

Keep all this info MFC...We shall rip them all to shreds when our day is granted.

The newspapers are now driving this agenda, not just reporting...

Caroline Wilson's article is also ridiculous

It looks like the club is prepared to fully co-operate with an independent investigation, where it is treated fairly and properly and the rules of natural justice are applied.

Maybe that is a dig at the current investigation run by AFL employees, that is leaking to the media like a sieve. That investigation team are employed by the body that created the system, endorsed and fostered the system, despite criticism said that no one was doing anything wrong, will get the findings of the investigators and will then itself decide if there was an AFL Rule breached and hand down a penalty. That same body is refusing to investigate other clubs despite admissions from players and officials that these clubs have tanked. That same body is headed by a former captain of the club that is regarded as the leading exponent and beneficiary of tanking, gaining a star ruckman and it's captain, with the aid of 3rd party payments that are not allowed to other clubs.

Maybe what the MFC want is a fair trial, with the rules of natural justice employed and not one by media.

BTW to the media, have they ever heard of the "presumption of innocence". Its been around for a few hundred years longer than their fish and chip wrapper newspapers.

• Like 8

To all the ex players blabbing, can I just say, you are gutless cowards who clearly failed as players and are trying to blame the MFC for it.

Maybe if you did not play such terrible football we would never be in a position where we had to tank to try and improve our list.

You ungreatful [censored] are hurting the club that once paid your wage and gave you an opportunity to play footy.

I hope your bitterness makes your life as miserable as it has made ours.

If it is the players supplying this information then you are absolutely correct. However all these quotes come from "anonymous" sources, they could be coming from anyone. There are a lot of agendas being played out through this investigation , wtness ADC & HSG. Are we really expected to believe that the AFL investigation officer is supplying the latest scrap of information to each paper every day

It looks like the club is prepared to fully co-operate with an independent investigation, where it is treated fairly and properly and the rules of natural justice are applied.

Maybe that is a dig at the current investigation run by AFL employees, that is leaking to the media like a sieve. That investigation team are employed by the body that created the system, endorsed and fostered the system, despite criticism said that no one was doing anything wrong, will get the findings of the investigators and will then itself decide if there was an AFL Rule breached and hand down a penalty. That same body is refusing to investigate other clubs despite admissions from players and officials that these clubs have tanked. That same body is headed by a former captain of the club that is regarded as the leading exponent and beneficiary of tanking, gaining a star ruckman and it's captain, with the aid of 3rd party payments that are not allowed to other clubs.

Maybe what the MFC want is a fair trial, with the rules of natural justice employed and not one by media.

BTW to the media, have they ever heard of the "presumption of innocence". Its been around for a few hundred years longer than their fish and chip wrapper newspapers.

Loving your posts these last couple of days Redleg, breath of fresh air

• Like 1

Fair dinkum......I feel like ringing the "Age" and telling them I am an ex player and I have proof that DB told me to tank....I wonder if that would make it to the front page of the sports section??? or do you think that someone might "Check" my bona fidies.....I think the former.....

Now this in the age with the chest beating comment

Demons president Don McLardy referred to Fairfax Media reports of the investigation in a statement on the club's website on Friday in which he called for the club to be treated fairly by the AFL.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/treat-us-fairly-and-properly-with-tanking-probe-demons-20121102-28ogs.html#ixzz2B1uZHm6C

Um don't see any mention of fairfax in the statement , I've lost all respect for the big paper

• Like 2

You're a good lad redleg.

Demons president Don McLardy referred to Fairfax Media reports of the investigation in a statement on the club's website on Friday in which he called for the club to be treated fairly by the AFL.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/treat-us-fairly-and-properly-with-tanking-probe-demons-20121102-28ogs.html#ixzz2B1uZHm6C

Um don't see any mention of fairfax in the statement , I've lost all respect for the big paper

that is unbelievable. Mclardy said nothing like that AT ALL.

More evidence Dees...

Good post. I feel the same. I am 60 and have supported them all my life. My wife and kids the same. Never seen them win a flag. Copped [censored] from other clubs fans all my life but never strayed. I started the first supporters club magazine, called Demon's World. I started a supporters group called the Premier's Club. I have been a Director of the club. I have been Team Manager of the club. I brought in a new President, Wayne Reid. I am a Foundation member. I am a sponsor. I enjoy Demonland. I have given all my hope and soul to this club. I don't want anything but success for the club.

I have watched Boards fight each other. I was even part of one big fight. I nearly cried at the merger meeting when I saw the way people treated the late Tiger Ridley, a true Demon great. I have seen the club tear itself apart. This year I watched as Jim passed away, not long after two other Demon greats in Sean Wight and Stewart Spencer. I watched a sponsor stuff us up. I watched the Jurrah situation. I watched as our Coach was falsely called a racist. I watched the team get smashed week after week. I watched the media go to town on us and they still are.

It just seems so unfair. Other teams cheat and win Premierships. We are the only team to win a game that losing would have given us a priority pick and we did it twice. When we did get a pick the kid spent a year lying to us and his dying President before the AFL took him away from us. There is so much more i could go on about.

We seem to spend all of our time worrying about our club. It nearly makes you want to cry and give up. However that is just not acceptable as I have my children and grandchildren who I want to one day enjoy success that I have been denied.

Stop the fighting amongst each other and all get behind the club.

If we lose draft picks I want this club to fight all the way and I mean all the way. We owe it to those who came before and those who will come after. I don't give a rat's arse what we have to do to prevail in this situation, I just want it done. If we have to bring in every other club or destroy Demetriou or hurt the AFL I don't give a sh-t anymore. I have had enough.

Yes we may have been naughty but no different to many other clubs yet we alone once again are copping it. Our brand is being trashed and our future hampered and in fact put at real risk. We have 40 or so players who want to win for us and we need to support them. I don't care how dirty we need to be just do it.

We are seen as a weak club. NO BLOODY MORE. If we lose draft picks, we should hit the Courts, rally at the AFL and show the rest of the clubs that we are here to stay.

Sorry for the rant, I have just had a gutful.

Thanks Redleg for the passion and all that service to the club we love!

Agree 100%.

Caroline Wilson's on a feeding frenzy with this. It's blatant trial by media. If an individual, not a footy club, was being investigated for some suspected crime, no reports or speculation would be allowed under law. If she published such untested conjecture as proven facts, like she has been doing, she would be sued for defamation.

She has slandered MFC in her frenzy to get her articles and name up in lights.

Regarding the slurs on Chris Connolly's reputation in today's papers, he has two options. If true, he should resign. If untrue, he should sue for libel because his reputation is being trashed. Get on the front foot, legally, if there are untruths being published.

If the worst of what Wilson is writing is true, then the AFL should sanction those responsible. Hit the careers and reputations of the individuals involved. That'll wipe it out pretty quickly, not by attacking the football club and supporters and players who even Wilson is not implicating (at this stage).

What a joke, they just don't give up. Now they're playing God in all of this. McLardy made the simplest of statements about current events and they twist it into a direct reference to their "enterprise". How important do these media outlets have to feel FFS? Bigger than the game it seems.

Are we a club or what?????

One for all....All for one.....

You either stand together as a footy club or you don't....You do not provide victims for sacrifice........

If we go down then we do it together.....If we don't then we do it together......

What if it was a joke? This is the problem, they need concrete evidence.

If the investigator asked Connolly if he said the line about sacking everyone if we didnt get the priority pick ( and lets assume for a minute he said it) then Connolly should stare straight back and say of course I said it because everyone outside Dean Bailey has such power as to make us able to lose games - I told the boot studder to give them the wrong boots, I told the orange boy to spike the oranges and I told the entire marketing department to make a video of Don Mclardy saying "is tank...is good".

Should the question not be asked that if Connolly did indeed say that, did one of the people who are apparently cheeping away now that his comments were directed at ask him "ummm Chris, I am an assistant coach...(or a recruiting manager who was reportedly there as well) .....exactly how would expect me to affect the outcome of the game ?????"

If it isnt a joke then ....I... he..... stuff it....I give up....

• Like 2

Aside from fire breathing, today would be a good day to resign like at about 4.59pm. Would be a good move considering it will be a quiet 4 days for the media due to the Melbourne Cup. No better way to deny the media oxygen.

Especially seeing oxygen is so valuable when there's people like you wasting it every day...

• Like 1

If the investigator asked Connolly if he said the line about sacking everyone if we didnt get the priority pick ( and lets assume for a minute he said it) then Connolly should stare straight back and say of course I said it because everyone outside Dean Bailey has such power as to make us able to lose games - I told the boot studder to give them the wrong boots, I told the orange boy to spike the oranges and I told the entire marketing department to make a video of Don Mclardy saying "is tank...is good".

Should the question not be asked that if Connolly did indeed say that, did one of the people who are apparently cheeping away now that his comments were directed at ask him "ummm Chris, I am an assistant coach...(or a recruiting manager who was reportedly there as well) .....exactly how would expect me to affect the outcome of the game ?????"

If it isnt a joke then ....I... he..... stuff it....I give up....

Good point. There is just so much uncertainty in all this. I have said all along it is a mess and the AFL if they were smart would just kill it and move on.

Could someone please point out to Caro, that her club the Tigers, got Trent Cotchin, their best player, after the Coach Terry Wallace has admitted that he did nothing at all in the Coach's box to try and win a game that they lost giving them the Cotchin pick.

Also that Dustin Martin is in trouble again and that new player Aaaron Edwards was arrested for being drunk a couple of days after joining the club. She is obviously unaware of these matters or they are simply not highlighted on her agenda.

• Like 4

Indeed, the best solution would be for the AFL to conclude the accusation of tanking is too difficult to sustain and prove given their vague rules in this area and the nature of the offense. It would then need to tighten the rules in this area or or remove temptation of gaining higher draft pick for losing games of footy.

The GWS were given draft picks and other concessions to pick up experienced players from other clubs. This was done to ensure they would be competitive from day one.

They didn't do this but poached kids from other teams and traded other concessions which were meant for experience; for more draft picks.

The rationale behind this of course was to sacrifice wins today in order to win in the future.

If tanking is losing games to prioritise draft picks then isn't this tanking?

If yes then the GWS is as guilty as any other team accused of the same.

But the AFL have condoned GWS's actions and by extension must condone every other club accused of the tank.

They can't have their cake and eat it too.

This is their own fault for making rules without giving them proper thought.

If MFC get sanctioned then so too must GWS.

• Like 3

Could someone please point out to Caro, that her club the Tigers, got Trent Cotchin, their best player, after the Coach Terry Wallace has admitted that he did nothing at all in the Coach's box to try and win a game that they lost giving them the Cotchin pick.

Also that Dustin Martin is in trouble again and that new player Aaaron Edwards was arrested for being drunk a couple of days after joining the club. She is obviously unaware of these matters or they are simply not highlighted on her agenda.

I'm sorry but this "we broke the rules, but others did before us" strategy is something that people normally grow out of by about 12. If there's an adverse finding, and I fear there will be, we should follow the Storm's example. Accept the sanctions; forget about enriching lawyers; show unity and strength; and work hard to succeed.

• Like 1