• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Membership 2013

Jonesbag

Win both games next weekend and it will improve

However IMO we need to win the first two games of the season to better last year.

From here on winning games is the vital element.

Were one decent season off 40,000 members, its up to the players now.

• Like 2

If, over the past months, you've been reading this forum and have felt as helpless as I have about the issues our club has been subjected to, then I'd like to suggest that the one thing you can do is be a member. I just renewed my family membership and even though I know the club could have done with my money earlier, I wanted to make a post - investigation statement, that no matter what, I stand by my club, our club. Our club needs our active support and whether you like it or not the biggest indicator of club support is membership numbers.

I feel proud to be born into supporting the club that invented the rules of this great game and I am equally as proud to call myself a member.

I am sick to death of the oft-quoted statistic of our supporter to member ratio. It is a cop out we rely upon as some sort of consolation for our low member numbers. We, as vocal supporters of the club, must contribute to a culture which says you're either with us or against us.

If you're not a member you're just a barracker and surely there's nothing worse than that...

Edited by Toast
  • Like 4

If, over the past months, you've been reading this forum and have felt as helpless as I have about the issues our club has been subjected to, then I'd like to suggest that the one thing you can do is be a member. I just renewed my family membership and even though I know the club could have done with my money earlier, I wanted to make a post - investigation statement, that no matter what, I stand by my club, our club. Our club needs our active support and whether you like it or not the biggest indicator of club support is membership numbers.

I feel proud to be born into supporting the club that invented the rules of this great game and I am equally as proud to call myself a member.

I am sick to death of the oft-quoted statistic of our supporter to member ratio. It is a cop out we rely upon as some sort of consolation for our low member numbers. We, as vocal supporters of the club, must contribute to a culture which says you're either with us or against us.

If you're not a member you're just a barracker and surely there's nothing worse than that...

This is honestly why I bought my membership. Living in the states I wanted to do something to support the club. So, I purchased an armchair membership, made me feel good and like I was doing something to help the club out.

• Like 5

The club has a responsibility to give it's supporters/Members value for money. To be as poor as we have for as long as we have isn't value, it ius border line torture. I buy a membership each year and will as long as I can afford to do so, but I can certainly understand why supports that are reluctant to re-new or buy a new membership, 2012 was the first year that I left games early, sometime 3 qtr time sometimes half way through the last, prior to this never always the final siren. Last year was the first year that I was completely frustrated with my Trident Membership, I found the management of the reserved seat area was poor and I let the club know about this on a number of occasions, appreciate this is a MCC function but we by our membership from our club. Due to this poor management of this area, 2012 saw me sit somewhere else to avoid getting into arguements with opposition supporters that should have been there. 2012 was the most unpleasent year I ahve had as a member.

I have no problems with the supporting the club arguement, but at some stage the club has to give us something to support and be proud off.

Until this happens our membership numbers will fall year on year and the 40K target in 2-3 years could become a 30K target

• Like 1

I found the management of the reserved seat area was poor and I let the club know about this on a number of occasions, appreciate this is a MCC function but we by our membership from our club

Yep. I am certainly sick of seeing opposition colours in the Dee seats. The whole reason my family pay the extra for a reserved seat is so they don't have to sit with opposition supporters. If they want to bring their friend who supports the opposition then feel free to sit in General Admin as I do when I go with friends who support other teams.

Edited by Robot Devil
  • Like 2

The club has a responsibility to give it's supporters/Members value for money. To be as poor as we have for as long as we have isn't value, it ius border line torture. I buy a membership each year and will as long as I can afford to do so, but I can certainly understand why supports that are reluctant to re-new or buy a new membership, 2012 was the first year that I left games early, sometime 3 qtr time sometimes half way through the last, prior to this never always the final siren. Last year was the first year that I was completely frustrated with my Trident Membership, I found the management of the reserved seat area was poor and I let the club know about this on a number of occasions, appreciate this is a MCC function but we by our membership from our club. Due to this poor management of this area, 2012 saw me sit somewhere else to avoid getting into arguements with opposition supporters that should have been there. 2012 was the most unpleasent year I ahve had as a member.

I have no problems with the supporting the club arguement, but at some stage the club has to give us something to support and be proud off.

Until this happens our membership numbers will fall year on year and the 40K target in 2-3 years could become a 30K target

Dr I hear you. The club has been so bad for so long it is difficult to maintain the enthusiasm at times. But, probably just like you, I've been a Dees supporter all of my life and thus like to take a long term view. By purchasing a yearly membership I am not simply wanting to ''buy-in'' to or pledge my support for that particular year, it is more of an acknowledgement of my ongoing support for the club as an entity. It's thanks for the pleasure and an a tip of the hat to the pain the club has provided me. It makes me feel like I'm a part of something, and given our poor numbers, something rare. I want to be that person in the crowd on Grandfinal day knowing that my long term support of the club contributed to getting us that next premiership cup.

Your displeasure with your seating arrangements is understandable but I have to say at the same time (with respect) it comes across as a little fickle. The money you pay as a Trident member (respect!), does indeed entitle you to a good sea,t but its not the way I'd chose to look at things. I'd rather think of it in the above (perhaps romantic) terms and think of the message it is sending to the players as they prepare for another season. I wonder how you'd go explaining to one of the players that your support for the club as a member hinges upon the seats you are allocated by the club. I imagine after spending the time and effort they do devoted to the club and their careers, such a comment would be difficult to comprehend.

I agree entirely that we are due some on-field success, but I can't help but think that the self belief within our players begins with us and the belief we show in them.

• Like 1

I think the Dees membership is like the share market.

It's been on the nose since 2007-2008.

But is starting to drag itself out of the mud.

So maybe we should be barracking louder.

GO ASX

Dr I hear you. The club has been so bad for so long it is difficult to maintain the enthusiasm at times. But, probably just like you, I've been a Dees supporter all of my life and thus like to take a long term view. By purchasing a yearly membership I am not simply wanting to ''buy-in'' to or pledge my support for that particular year, it is more of an acknowledgement of my ongoing support for the club as an entity. It's thanks for the pleasure and an a tip of the hat to the pain the club has provided me. It makes me feel like I'm a part of something, and given our poor numbers, something rare. I want to be that person in the crowd on Grandfinal day knowing that my long term support of the club contributed to getting us that next premiership cup.

Your displeasure with your seating arrangements is understandable but I have to say at the same time (with respect) it comes across as a little fickle. The money you pay as a Trident member (respect!), does indeed entitle you to a good sea,t but its not the way I'd chose to look at things. I'd rather think of it in the above (perhaps romantic) terms and think of the message it is sending to the players as they prepare for another season. I wonder how you'd go explaining to one of the players that your support for the club as a member hinges upon the seats you are allocated by the club. I imagine after spending the time and effort they do devoted to the club and their careers, such a comment would be difficult to comprehend.

I agree entirely that we are due some on-field success, but I can't help but think that the self belief within our players begins with us and the belief we show in them.

Toast I agree with all you say except the last line.

If that was the case they would have played better last year.

35000+ members , a large number went week in week out and they dished up tripe.

You have ignored IMO one vital ingredient Skill

The majority of the list last year did not have the required level to get us above third last.

No amount belief would change that

Edited by old dee

I've had issues from time to time with opposition supporters sitting in our area but it's mainly because we are losing and it busts my gut when they hang it on us and we can't respond; the way to shut them up and stop them sitting in our area is to start winning.

You can bet your balls that they won't want to sit amongst a crowd of rabid, winning, demon fans.

• Like 1

I've had issues from time to time with opposition supporters sitting in our area but it's mainly because we are losing and it busts my gut when they hang it on us and we can't respond; the way to shut them up and stop them sitting in our area is to start winning.

You can bet your balls that they won't want to sit amongst a crowd of rabid, winning, demon fans.

Agree RobbieF I would think it would have been quite fun slagging us off in the knowledge there was no chance of getting even close most weeks.

I remember going to the first Brisbane GF win against the bombers

A mate and I were smack in the middle of the large group of Essendon members.

one of the best days I have had at the footy.

we sang the lions song all the last quarter.

Bloody marvellous

• Like 1

After a few years of not being able to afford pay for a membership I signed up today. I could not help but think, can Neeld coach? Am I wasting my money? Then I thought performance is not the issue here, giving the club money to continue its off field performance is just as important. If Neeld is a failure, the money spent on the FD is just as important as one day will have a coach who can perform.

Not saying Neeld cant coach, Monday to Friday he is a fantastic coach, just waiting for the weekend work to start working. Although I would like to see him on the training track more

• Like 3

Toast I agree with all you say except the last line.

If that was the case they would have played better last year.

35000+ members , a large number went week in week out and they dished up tripe.

You have ignored IMO one vital ingredient Skill

The majority of the list last year did not have the required level to get us above third last.

No amount belief would change that

I think all of these ideas are in some way connected. I think our belief will inspire confidence which in turn will impact upon our skills. It's a long shot, but I'm running with it. I remember after Cale Morton's first game a few of us on Demonland took particular notice of a one-step kick across his body which hit his teammate lace out fifty metres away. This is back when Cale was riding on the confidence he had as a highly-rated junior. He lost his belief and seem never know where to be and what to do afterwards.

I think all of these ideas are in some way connected. I think our belief will inspire confidence which in turn will impact upon our skills. It's a long shot, but I'm running with it. I remember after Cale Morton's first game a few of us on Demonland took particular notice of a one-step kick across his body which hit his teammate lace out fifty metres away. This is back when Cale was riding on the confidence he had as a highly-rated junior. He lost his belief and seem never know where to be and what to do afterwards.

I reckon the longer he stayed with us the worse his kicking became and I often wonder if someone did and Ian Baker-Finch on him and tried to change his style with much the same effect.

I still believe, and I know I'm in the minority, that there was a place for him at Melbourne.

• Like 1

I reckon the longer he stayed with us the worse his kicking became and I often wonder if someone did and Ian Baker-Finch on him and tried to change his style with much the same effect.

I still believe, and I know I'm in the minority, that there was a place for him at Melbourne.

I'm with you Robbie. Cale's failure to thrive at Melbourne says a lot about our inability to develop players. People can blame our recruiting all they want, but at the time Cale was universally seen as the obvious pick at 4. I would suggest that the vast majority of recruiters would have thought him a good choice. Yes he had his shortfalls but they were exposed further because of the lack of support and importantly leaders he had around him. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Just tweeted by @MelbourneFC:

"A BIG thanks to all of our 26,751 members who have signed up so far. Get on board now to beat the crowds at Round 1"

"A BIG thanks to all of our 26,751 members who have signed up so far. Get on board now to beat the crowds at Round 1"

I have no idea what it was this time last year hardtack but I expect a bit higher.

I think low 30's might be the total this year.

We badly need to win games 1,2 and 4 to have any hope of getting above 35K IMO

• Like 1

I have no idea what it was this time last year hardtack but I expect a bit higher.

I think low 30's might be the total this year.

We badly need to win games 1,2 and 4 to have any hope of getting above 35K IMO

Yes, I get the feeling that unless we win our first half dozen games on the trot, we will be lucky to pass 32,000.

a poor total. But after last years pure durge i am not suprised at all.

Yep. I am certainly sick of seeing opposition colours in the Dee seats. The whole reason my family pay the extra for a reserved seat is so they don't have to sit with opposition supporters. If they want to bring their friend who supports the opposition then feel free to sit in General Admin as I do when I go with friends who support other teams.

Bit of a touchy one for me after I lost it at a Collingwood supporter sitting a couple of rows in front of me in the reserved seating a few years back. I don't mind at all if other club's fans sit in the Melbourne seats, however I do feel it is up to the them to recognise where they are sitting and be good natured* about their support of their team.

* By good natured I mean if they are winning just clapping goals and good play, not jumping around and rubbing Melbourne supporters faces in it, and if they are losing then to accept some ribbing. Double standards I know but is the price of sitting in a Melbourne area. Tickets do say "Not Transferable".

• Like 2

On Tuesday we were only a couple of hundred behind what we were this time last year. So given the shite that we have gone through the last 8 months it is probably not a bad total.

all power to the long suffering supporters. I tip my hat.

But in comparison to other clubs and what was looking promising in 2010-11 with membership growing it is a disappointing number.

We must win games this year. The just has to.