Blues after Watts

DeeZee

Can I say, and this won't make me popular, but Denham is right that a lot of our senior players are putting their feelers out in the market. However, he makes it out to be a bad thing and I think it is a good thing. Senior players' lives have become a lot more difficult under Neeld. He doesn't respect players because they are senior, he respects players because they do deeds that earn respect. He is also brutally, brutally honest with players, and the senior players are used to a more "cushy" existence. There is also MFC's recent track record, in particular Bruce and McDonald (more McDonald, but I don't want this to become another one of those discussions!) that makes senior players cautious of MFC's motives.

Neeld has made no secret that he thinks things need to drastically change. You don't put a 20 year old into captaincy and shun almost all of the pre-existing leaders if you're happy with the status quo. I say all the power to Neeld. Overdue. The result of that is disenchanted senior blokes.

And by the way, don't kid yourselves, it's not just the players that have put feelers out - the club has told almost every player on the list that it is testing the market with them. It's actually the club that has put the feelers out, and players have responded.

FWIW, I think that Neeld is preparing to trade Watts, but only for the right price. And I think if the right price came along (an elite midfielder comes to mind), then I would do it. That's not to disrespect Jack, bc I actually rate him, but the fact is you don't trade junk for treasure.

• Like 1

Denhan just said lots of senior Melbourne players want to leave, a caller just asked him to name them but he dodged the question.

Why do I listen to this peanut?

Yep "Clint" he dodged it like a true politician.

Who?

Work out who has been actively re-contracted. I don't know exactly, but I think the "safe" list is pretty small, and includes Jones, Clark, Howe, McKenzie, Frawley, Trengove, Grimes, McDonald, Jamar, maybe Bail.

Virtually all the rest have been told they are either tradeable (though obviously they will not necessarily be successfully on-traded), or they have to wait for list management final culling decisions. So when they are told that, they go to their managers, who then look to see who may be interested. Managers like taking the ascendency.

Edited by Choko

Neeld has repeatedly said that Jack Watts is a 21 year old 50 game player who has great skills. For Neeld not to try and work with him on contested ball and Misson do his job and bulk Watts up after only one season under them would be an absolute crying shame.

If Watts is still in the same mould this time next year then I will start to raise my eyebrows.

• Like 1

Denhan just said lots of senior Melbourne players want to leave

How many senior players do we have? And of these how many do we want to keep?

I mean seriously, assuming Rivers go our senior players (defined lets say by more than 80 odd games or 5 seasons at the club) are Davey, Bate, Dunn, Pettard, Morton, Jamar, Sylvia, Jones, Frawley, MacDonald, Bartram and Garland.

Of that list for me the definite keepers would be Jamar (who signed a 3 year deal mid season, despite being a FA), Jones (who has committed to the club and seems to love it) and Clark (ditto to Jones), Sylvia (who if he wanted out we could probably get a pretty good trade going, so i suspect he is fine) and Frawley (who is contracted but perhaps has not had the same level of buy in as the others) and perhaps Garland (who i'm not so sure he is super in love withe new regime).

I also like MacDonald and suspect he is happy at the club. Add to that list Dunn, who seems to be happy enough and i still think has a lot to offer the club.

The others? To honest i doubt they are part of Neelds future plan and few Demon fans would worry too much about them going (assuming they could get a club to pick them up). Apologies here to Bartram, but his injury is chronic and may be close to retiring unfortunately. I also would assume almost all of the non keepers would have been discusse as potential trade bait so no wonder they might want out.

So Denham suggests the industry is shocked by how many senior dees are shopping themselves and want out? Of the senior list with any currency whatsoever in the market my sense is only Frawley, Sylvia and perhaps Garland have perhaps not fully bought in and maybe have put the feelers out (but perhaps not). And my sense is if they really want out Neeld will be happy to accommodate them if they it means getting very high draft picks or players in return who will buy in from the get go.

The other keepers have all bought in in my opinion and wont be looking elsewhere. That leaves the rest who might be making some noise but as i said don't have much currency.

I know its all theater but Denham's shtick is very tiresome.

Edited by binman

I just want to call him up and explain to him that no quotes should make no article. His jumping around about what players were 'shopping' around was truly laughable!

No standards in the media and truly think KB does a reasonable show a disservice by having this clown on twice a week.

Cannot wait till Melbourne get awesome so I can call him and just berate him!

• Like 1

We only have about 5 senior players and Rivers and Moloney have put the feelers out there so he is kind of correct. Being overseas at the moment i am very much out of the loop. But from what I have heard from a former player is that Neeld was more than happy to ship the older guys on and start as fresh as possible.

One thing I have missed is people telling me that Frawley might go to the Saints. Am i getting cranked here or what? He must have a couple of years on his contract to go.

I just want to call him up and explain to him that no quotes should make no article. His jumping around about what players were 'shopping' around was truly laughable!

No standards in the media and truly think KB does a reasonable show a disservice by having this clown on twice a week.

Cannot wait till Melbourne get awesome so I can call him and just berate him!

The thing is managers always 'shop' players around to get a market value. It is there job, especially now with free agency this will happen all the time. It's happening at Melbourne because we still have so many out of contract players. Denham just doesn't understand how it all works.

Greg Swan has confirmed that the Greg Denham's journalistic values are "utter crap". As I posted earlier there were no quotes from Carlton or Melbourne, it is simply a fantasy beatup by Denham to stir the pot that there are players left, right and centre want to leave the club.

If Denham was a journalist's bootlace he would have named a source with a quote or two, instead he fantasised of Mick Malthouse's mentoring earlier in the season and tried to find a connection.

If there is any further confirmation needed to not listen to him, this is it.

It's actually funny now, and Swan's insistence that this story is "simply made up." (*Note Greg - this is a direct quote!)

• Like 4

Majority knew it was utter crap, but seriously Denham should made accountable for this. Frustrates the hell out of me that he can get away with some of shite he does.

sorry, rant over.

Was Denham still on when Swann rang in?

Denham has a real vendetaa against us.

Dont forget he was the one who said mfc does not have a culture and we do not 'stand' for anything.

Me thinks denham writes for a paper that is actually irrelevant and does not stand for anything.

So who from the mfc upset greggy so? It is disturbing how much he sets out to stick the boots in, regardless of whether it is deserved or not. Very strange...